LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar

Attention: New Policy Concerning Trolls

Attention Forum Members,
    With Linkin Park's new album coming out in a little over a month, and forum traffic dramatically increasing as a result, we here at The Linkin Park Association have felt it necessary to put our collective foots down, and address a growing issue on our forums... which is the existence of trolls.

What is a troll you ask?

Courtesy of Urban Dictionary, a troll is:

"One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue."

With every new album release, the existence of trolls posting in threads increases ten fold, and unfortunately the hype surrounding A Thousand Suns has been no exception. Since the announcement of "A Thousand Suns" over a month ago, we have had many new members sign up solely for the purpose of causing arguments in threads or with the intention of spreading malicious behavior and negativity in every thread they come across.

These trolls not only represent everything that is inherently wrong with the internet, but also cast a negative cloud of the forums they inhabit, driving old members away, while creating the appearance of an unwelcoming forum to those who have yet to join and contribute to the boards.

Therefore, due to the recent rise in trolls, we have been left with no choice but to implement a new policy. For now on, any member deemed to be a "troll" by a majority of the forum's staff and it's members, will be put on a two strike policy...and will be given only two chances to quit their antagonizing/trolling behavior before they are banned from the forums indefinitely. While this may seem a bit strong, we refuse to let our peaceful and positive forum community be derailed by attention seeking trolls, and will do whatever we can to protect the integrity and community aspect of The Linkin Park Association for our existing members and new members alike.

It should be noted that this policy does not apply to all members, and those who break a rule (but are not a troll/antagonizing member) will still adhere to the normal three infraction policy currently implemented on these boards. The LPA will also only deem a member a troll if the majority of the boards have remarked or complained that the member in question serves no contributing purpose and is only here to cause a problem on these boards.

We hope these new changes, while sudden...will help the LPA continue to grow, and will help to maintain the community aspect that has made it such a welcoming forum over the past nine years. Thank you for your understanding, and we appreciate your continued support.

Also one more thing in closing: we here at The Linkin Park Association do not tolerate members bringing feuds over from other fan sites onto our boards. This happens far too often, and we do not need the forums to be littered with such mindless garbage. Therefore, if you have previously gotten into an argument with a member of our boards on another fan site, please leave your arguments on that site as they have no business being on here. We are not the site you just came from. This is The Linkin Park Association, not [insert site name]. Thank you.

Thanks,
    LPA Staff

Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

HELP THE LPA:

Bring back the 50 post rule

Thanks for this, Derek and the rest of the LPA staff. When I joined LPA I often said it was the friendliest forum I've ever been on, and I hope it stays that way.
    -when they come for me, I'll be gone-

8.22.09 - Epicenter//Pomona Fairplex
    2.23.11 - A Thousand Suns World Tour//Staples Center
    9.10.12 - Honda Civic Tour//Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre

After the recent unpleasantness that took place tonight in the shoutbox, I must remind everyone of the following harassment policy, that is posted as a sticky in the announcement forums:

If you do not agree with the opinion of someone else, discuss it with them in a professional matter and do not flame the user for having different views. If you cannot resolve a disagreement or grudge with a member civilly over PM, then please cease contact with said member immediately. Any types of flaming/blatant provoking is not acceptable, and may result in a warning or banning depending on the severity of the offense. It is important to note that we will not be responsible for ANY events that happen off site and that any members who encounter a problem with a member of this board off site, are responsible for handling it themselves and not the staff of this site.

Any disregard of our requests to cease an arguement/flame war with another member will result in warnings, and in some cases a ban if it progresses to that point. Betty white is tired of this shit, and so are we. Keep it off the site.

It's sad that we have had to resort to this recently. If people could just discuss without abuse / flaming it wouldn't even be needed.

you get em wherever you go, at least you seem to know how to deal with it.. anywhere else i have been haven't been able too, i signed up yesterdayy, just to talk and enjoy discussion likee. don't see what pleasure people get from doing it all :/

The best move you could have made! I'm curious how it'll work out.

Raindrops put the rythm on the pavement
    And drip from the black top onto the basement
    Traces of the rain pervade this to erase
    Your hate and take this from the fakeness

I hope this shows you guys that we really do care about our members on here and they experience they have in posting. We refuse to let trolling get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonnnnn View Post
    you get em wherever you go, at least you seem to know how to deal with it.. anywhere else i have been haven't been able too, i signed up yesterdayy, just to talk and enjoy discussion likee. don't see what pleasure people get from doing it all :/
    Thank you so much for sticking around. It's a rarity that it has to come to this and a shame this is what you are dealt with when coming here. We are trying to keep this a very welcome and friendly place for LP fans to come, like it always has been. So thanks for your support.

Jalie: Thanks a lot. Unfortunately we had to take these measures as it was lowering the quality of the boards. Thanks for your approval and hopefully we can keep this a very welcome place for you to come!

And this chaos, it defies imagination
    Trolls belong under bridges.

It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. Theazninvasion68's Avatar
    Trolls.

Ugh.

Good call.

Sólin mun skína fyrir okkur
    grasið verður grænna fyrir okkur
    blómin munu blómstra fyrir okkur
    og ástin mun varaað eilífu..

I HAVE BEEN RESSURECTED! I AM THE SECOND COMING! Zombie Jeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Trolls belong under bridges.
    R.I.P. Taylor Weir 1993 - 2013

Runnin this thang / Money insane / Busy getting brain like Krang / What, what's my name in the woods got these people usin' MapQuest / Man, fuck a backpacker

Quote Originally Posted by The Catalyst View Post
    It's like the shoutbox all over again!

And this chaos, it defies imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by The Catalyst View Post
    I cried inside.

Say no to trolls. Seriously, there is a mismatch in maturity levels here and the cool folks are on the right road. Thank you for setting these new boundaries - it means a lot to the community eh.

"The hope, of course, springs from the notion that the possibility of change is born in our most harrowing moments." Linkin Park

*face turns red, look guilty*
    Uhh..... I didn't do it?

Let's celebrate by breaking the shoutbox again

a good, and right move. trolls are THE downside of internet communities, forums and such. you do a great job at the site, and i do love to come here regularly. so, i think it will be for the benefit of all members of this board.
    And with words unspoken
    A silent devotion
    I know you know what I mean
    And the end is unknown
    But I think I'm ready
    As long as you're with me

http://www.lastfm.de/user/aSl33p

I applaud you kind beings for being so understanding to your members needs.

Its times like these/trolls learn to live again

Thread Information