Why wasn't Out of Ashes commercially successful?

Discussion in 'Side Projects' started by Agent, Jul 10, 2010.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I'm playing the album again after a while and loving it! I just can't figure out why it bombed commercially. Yes, it sounds overproduced but other than that I think it's a pretty good album with a lot of commercial appeal.

I think it fell victim to lack of promotion from the label's part. Then again with Chester's name attached to it and its radio-friendly sound (not a bad thing) it seems odd for the label to not push the record.

Thoughts?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It wasn't cause of Chester or the sound...Warner absolutely did not promote this album. It was disgusting how little they promoted it, and the blame lies squarely on them I believe.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Because Warner is a dickhead and LP needs to be on a different label

wiiesel

wiiesel Well-Known Member

Because Warner only promote things/bands from which they know that it/they will be successfull.

Seems like they don't really wanted Chester to do a solo project. So they didn't promote him so that Chester can work with LP as fast as possible.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Yep. Warner where stupid and gave it no promotion but when the new Linkin Park album comes out, well yeah...they'll promote the hell out of it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Because it wasn't that good of an album... at least to me it wasn't

Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

Because all of the songs were pretty generic. Nothing on the album really stood out and made you take notice.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I also think that the lead single "Crawl Back In" was one of the weakest tracks on the album and didn't make people take notice.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

This. :)

I wouldve been ecstatic to see Walking in Circles as a single. Let Down was definitely a highlight of that album too, but Warner didnt promote that single at all, and Let Down never even charted :(

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I hate to say it, but the album in general just isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, I love the album overall but there are too many weak aspects in the material. A particular weak point for me were the lyrics - I think for the most part they seem rushed and unfinished. Songs like Crawl Back In, Fire, My Suffering and Inside Of Me (ironically the first four songs that were used to promote the album) are lyrically dire. It's such a shame because I think with songs like In The Darkness, Walking In Circles, Give Me Your Name and Into You, Chester touched on something that could have been a potential masterpiece. Instead, alot of the album reaks of a failed effort to capture elements of hard rock and punk and transform them into a commerically acceptable sound.

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Eh. I like the album, but I didn't hear the singles on the radio and had to hunt down the videos myself, which is a sign of under promoting. "A Thousand Suns" is gonna be everywhere, even if a lot of fans dislike it. LP is a sure fire hit. DBS was an unknown.

Dammit Warner.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

-No official band website other than a Myspace page, when nobody uses Myspace anymore.
    -No U.S. tour.
    -No reliable source of news - people had to resort to pestering Amir Derakh on his Twitter account to get confirmation of one of DBS's television appearances in Germany. Too Late was released to radio a while after Let Down and even used in some promotional tie-ins with the T.V. series "V," but there wasn't a single shred of information about it from an official source...
    -Conflicting information about the project, even from band members - Chester swore up and down that a cover of 20 Eyes by the Misfits and several acoustic tracks were released as bonus tracks on one of the European editions of the album, which was completely untrue.

I could go on for ages about this. Musically, DBS didn't make any huge mistakes, but I've never seen a more horribly mis-managed project in my life.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

It got old in less than two weeks might be a reason.

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Under-promotion.
    Simple as that.

Edit: I personally like the album, a lot, but it isn't something I can get addicted to.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Personally, I have always thought that the name of the band might have hurt them. "Dead By Sunrise". I could see a casual person thinking "Eww they sound bad". I love the name and am fine with it...It's just a theory. But as most of you have said, the lack of promotion is the clear reason. There wasn't any way for a non LP fan to have any clue who this band was. Of course, if every LP fan bought Out of the Ashes it would have done well. It's a mystery as to why so many LP fans didn't get this.

Some what off topic: Crawl Back In was my Favorite DBS song by far. I'm surprised how many people don't think this. But I do like the whole album other than GMYN. They definitely should have promoted "Let Down" as well.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I didn't like their album much, but not everything that becomes commercially successful is undeniably good. It probably could have gotten popular if it wasn't promoted as little as people are saying.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

To me, the album just wasn't very good. It had a few good moments (Walking In Circles is a great song) but overall it just sounded too cliché and radio friendly.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

If it was indeed radio friendly, then it WOULD HAVE been successful. The only radio friendly song on the whole album was Let Down. Maybe Into You as well.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Poor Chester.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Then let me rephrase. None of the songs in the album was radio UNfriendly, and every song could have been a single. The whole album sounded poppish and lacking of power. Even the "heavier" songs like Condemned sounded overproduced and artificial.