PC Recommendations; barebones, from scratch, etc.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Jul 4, 2010.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I just wanted to stop by here, and say QUOTED FOR MOTHER FUCKING TRUTH.

I've built my share of computers, and Seagate is probably the most fail HD company I've had the horror of working with.

And Keaton? The obvious solution is to buy new monitors. If you're not at least dual screening, you have failed me. :lol:

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

@Minus: I wouldn't have room to do use multiple monitors even if I wanted. :lol:

Just in case, my questions from the previous page so people don't have to click back:
    "OK, everything seems to be fixed with the computer. The cooling is down to around 36c so I think it'll be OK. I switched CD and HDD in the boot settings and it booted Windows XP when I put the CD in to test it. Everything seems to be ready once Windows 7 comes in the mail, but there's one thing still giving me problems. I still get the "No hard disk is detected!" error but it'll still load the Windows XP installation. My HDD is detected in the BIOS and according to the boot display it's working fine. I'm not sure if this is temporary until I install the OS? I read enabling IDE or something may be the cause since it's a SATA drive, but I'm not sure?

While on the topic of OS, when I install Windows 7, will there be an option to install 64-bit or will I need to change anything in the BIOS or something?

Also, unrelated but I accidentally scratched my LCD a little. It's not too big of an issue (resembles a tiny hair stuck to the screen), but if I can buff it out or anything, what would I use? I've read everything from Vaseline to eraser shavings will do the trick, and I'm not sure if Best Buy carries anything for LCD scratches. Again, it's not a huge deal, but if there's any way to get rid of it, I'd like to... :lol:

Thanks in advanced as always. :)"

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

The no harddisk error is an odd one.. try disabling IDE since you don't have an IDE drive. It might be a controller saying there's no harddrives plugged into it - for example, if I have the SATA_RAID controller enabled on my computer, I'll get a similar message, although it's in a fashion that I know it's associated with the controller since it has it's info at the top, but you make it sound like it's something different. Give it a try anyway.

As for installing 64-bit, you'll get 2 CDs, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit (at least, this was the case for me). You won't have to change anything in the BIOS or do anything special, it'll just work. :p

I have no clue about your LCD.. My iPod Touch is full of them, and I ignore them, hahah. Just look on major computing forums and see what opinion comes up most and go with that.

And I hereby quote for FUD. My fileserver's been running with a bunch of Seagates and they've all lasted over 2-3 years at least if not more.

Kæton

Well this is weird. I'm on my new computer as I type this and despite still having the "no hard disk" error, not only did Windows 7 install flawlessly, I installed a couple programs (such as Firefox) to it without issue. My HDD is recognized like nothing's wrong. I still get the error when when first booting up, but it still continues as if nothing's wrong. I'm not sure what's going on or if I should be concerned... :blink:

Despite all that, everything else is working fine, so again, I have to thank everyone who helped me, especially you Tomi. :lol: So thank you. I really appreciate all the help.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

My guess is still that the 'no disk' error is from an IDE or RAID controller in your BIOS looking for a disk but not finding anything. I get the same error since I don't use the RAID controller on my computer. Don't worry about it. If it bothers you, play around in the BIOS until you can find the setting to disable that controller.

Congratulations on getting everything working. :D

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Your motherboard likely has 2 or 3 RAID controllers on it, but you're using 1 (unless you have multiple hard drives) so one of the controllers is reporting no hard drive detected, since nothing is plugged into that controller. It's perfectly normal. I just did a build and have the same thing, I'm using 2 out of 3 RAID controllers, so one reports no drive detected on bootup.

How the hell are you getting temps down to 36? My build is very similar (although I'm using a Gigabyte mobo instead of Asus) and my temps are in the 50s. I think it might be a combination of a shitty case and 4 hard drives. I'm waiting for the Corsair 600t case to come out, I'll be upgrading to that for the improved airflow.

Kæton

I honestly have no idea. I definitely think replacing that stock Intel CPU fan helped. There's a case fan right above the CPU fan so I guess that sort of direct route of airflow helps. The stock Intel fan used to just blow the air into the case instead, so if I had to guess, I'd say it's the airflow. I'm actually wondering if I install any more case fans (there's a couple unused spots) if that'll improve temperatures further? My PC is not enclosed per se but I notice when my AC is off the warm air starts to build up after a couple hours, so I'm wondering if installing more case fans will help with that. Then again, it may just create more warm air so I don't know if it's worth looking in to. All I know is I don't want this thing blowing up or frying on me. :lol:

Anyway, is there any particular area in the BIOS I could look to disable the message from displaying? It's not that big of a deal but would be nice to not have to see it every time I boot up.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

You would have to figure out which RAID controller it is and you should be able to disable it in the BIOS. It's pretty much going to be trial and error until you find the right one.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614 is the motherboard he has, for the record.

There's a RAID controller on there, which I'm pretty sure is what's causing the message - look around in the BIOS for anything related to RAID and see if you can disable it. Either that, or on the screen with the error message, try pressing F1/del/enter/etc, you might be able to access a configuration screen from there?

On a slightly unrelated note, I saw a 12 drive bay case today, and was thinking how awesome it would be to have 12x2TB in RAID5... then I realised at $100/drive, the disks would cost me $1200 alone, and that's excluding the rest of the computer, hah. But 20TB? That'd be one hell of a fucking media beast. :p

Although, more realistically, I'll be getting 2-3 2TB harddrives in September. :p

Minus

I upgraded my RAM to 8gb. I feel so unclean, yet not. :lol

I also got a 1TB hard drive to fit all my movies.

Now, the question remains: I have 2 500gb internal hard drives on my computer right now. Should I upgrade to a 1tb for my main drive or just keep adding hard drives?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Why grab only 1TB when you can get 2TB for only $100? The WD20EARS is a pretty nice drive.

Minus

I have connections. Oddly enough, I can get 2 separate 1 TB internals cheaper than 1 single 2 TB internal.

Shh.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

So can I and I have no connections? 1TB is $45 nowadays. $45*2 = $90 < $100, therefore cheaper. :p