Official Diet & Exercise Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Derek, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Thank you for your encouraging words. :)

2. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I'm not all the way there, but I was a Mountain Dew junkie. Anything DEW was me. 2-4 cans a day, didn't matter the flavor. I've now switched to Diet Dew, only consuming 1 can a day, if that. Depends how bored I am. It was a good switch, too. Diet tastes pretty good.

3. Hybrid

Way to go, dude! I don't want to sound condescending here, because I hate when people are that way towards me, but you should do yourself a favor though and rid yourself of the diet soda. It's hard on your body to process it. Way worse than the High Fructose Corn Syrup found in regular Mountain Dews. If you want to keep it at a can a day, that's amazing, but you should stick to regular sweeteners. (This is just advise, take it or leave it, and I'm sorry if I came off as condescending.)

4. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Reading this, I realize I could have come as condescending to you in my last posts in this thread. Sorry if it was the case, it wasn't my goal!

5. Hybrid

Not at all, dude. Don't sweat it. :bradwink:

6. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Diet is much worse for you...

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I think my mind is blown.

I don't know. I feel a lot better after making the switch. Still, I'm not pounding them down either. No more than 1 a day if that.

8. Hybrid

If you cut it down, you're bound to feel better. You should do your body a favor though and go back to drinking the regular stuff.

As for me, I have not had a soda in 16 days. I've noticed that I've been getting extremely tired at night now. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

9. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

It's one of two reasons. Either you're body is just changing from that habit that you've set it in. Takes time to get around that "high." Or it may be just a placebo.

10. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

If you're going to drink soft drinks, limit it to one a day and move on from there at minimizing consumption to two a week. Water is your friend.

11. Geki

Geki >.

God, I seriously need to stop eating and drinking so much crap. I am gaining even more weight and I'm at the point where I just don't care. I wish I could make myself drink water over other stuff, that's honestly the hardest part for me. I'm used to drinking energy drinks and soda all the time. It's hard to stop.

12. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

After about a week or two of flat out quitting soda and drinking only water, you will get used to it. I actually prefer water now when I go out. It is hard to stop but once you do, it's great.

13. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

I've gained 5 pounds from drinking alcohol. It's a big thing where I live. It kinda is impossible for me to workout with a hangover so I a plan on limiting myself. :lol:
    Otherwise I was lifting 7 days a week. Cardio from Bike rides and Hiking. I WORK OUT!

14. Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Do you have any tips on how I can get motivation for starting training.. Like, I want to lose weight (I've gained a lot since becoming a student due to change of alcohol habits, bad food and shit.. Aaaand zero working out) and I hate how I look right now. But I just can't find the motivation for training. I always end up there. I want to start, but I go to the gym (or run or whatever) for a week then I just stop... Every time...
    I lack self-discipline. And I like chips and stuff a bit too much...

15. raptors661

raptors661 Active Member

What I did was I looked ahead and found a 5K run and signed up for it. I used the 3 months I had training for it 5 times a week. After the 5K, I just continued the training out of habit.

16. Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Yeah, that doesn't work for me...

17. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Wanting to exercise is one thing, but actually doing it is something that requires discipline and motivation. I know it's a shittiest answer but there's really nothing else to it.

What often helps, though, is finding people to exercise with together (actual exercising, though, not talking without doing anything lol). It works surprisingly motivating and helps you become disciplined over time together (you could call it positive peer pressure, I guess).

Also: around 75 % of your exercise revolves around your food. You'd be surprised how much a difference cutting down on sodas and chips etc. makes. If you really want the results, I'd suggest slowly start replacing sodas with water and chips etc. with fruits and see what that does, along with some exercising (which you should build up slowly as well).

Just... Don't expect the results to be there after like 2 weeks or so because that's just unrealistic. The majority of people who get fast results more often than not just hurt themselves by losing weight through unhealthy methods (aka starving themselves).

There's not much else I can say but: good luck!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Hey Derek, I remember you and me talking about this a few years ago. Did you manage to keep the weight off? I've been extremely successful. Last year I was working out like crazy and not so much this year so I've lost quite a bit of muscle but managed to keep the fat off.

And take your vitamins people!

19. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I might be the worst with motivation. I've gone through the same thing many, many times. I'll train for a month and then quit for a month. Or a week on and a week off. Or even worse breaks in between.

I'm in a couple basketball leagues for a few months a year, and thinking about how awful I feel when I'm not in shape gave me decent motivation to get my shit together. I never want to feel that bad and out of shape again. But once your event is over, whether it's a sports league or a 5k race or whatever, you can slide back into your bad habits again. I did this for years. I really like being in shape, but my laziness seemed to overtake my desire to workout half the time.

The last 8 months or so have been different for me, though. I tried finding things that I really enjoy about my workouts. Something that will make me want to get up off the couch and get me excited. I'd never used that mindset before. I always found workouts to be just a routine that you did to meet your goal. And I think that's the biggest problem people have. They are goal-oriented, and either their goals are too extreme and they get frustrated and quit too early, or they meet their goal and lose their initial drive that caused them to workout in the first place.

So when I thought about it differently and tried to find things that I enjoy, it was a revelation. I'd get excited about certain workout days. It became something I actually wanted to do frequently. I really, really like to do squats and deadlifts. I love doing 50 meter sprints outside. Those are my go-to thoughts when I'm feeling lazy. And the workout days where I'm not doing those lifts or activities I'll still skip probably half the time because I don't find them as fun. But you can't be so hard on yourself. Do something because you like to do it. Now I enjoy getting stronger and in better shape for no big reason at all. It's just a side effect of doing activities I like, so I don't have to dig as hard to find motivation. If you can find certain things you like doing it'll be a lot easier to keep active. And that's the hardest part. There are so many contraptions, equipment, and people in the gym that it's intimidating and it's sometimes embarrassing to try new things out. Most girls don't lift weights or do short, fast sprints/runs. A lot just do slow cardio or walking on the treadmill, which I think most people find boring in general. I don't know what you've all tried, but I think everyone could find some athletic activity they like doing if they really gave it a shot and had the right mindset.

That was long and a big ramble and I didn't edit anything so hopefully it's readable. I don't check this site much anymore but I'll be back checking this thread out for sure! At least for a little while lol.

20. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I'm cutting soft drinks of any kind. Now it's just water and Gatorade for when I play