Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    because the internet
    OMG! 42 posts until arcade!

My perversion power is accumulating babie boi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Come on guy, isn't that what the internet is really about anyways?
    It is for any reasonable person.

because the internet
    The internet is for getting 500 posts and winning in the LPA arcade!

I must say, I am skeptical that someone would be poised not to join the forums but hear "They let you choose your user title right away!" and react "I NEED TO GET IN ON THIS SHIT!".

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter much either way.

because the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by esaul17 View Post
    I must say, I am skeptical that someone would be poised not to join the forums but hear "They let you choose your user title right away!" and react "I NEED TO GET IN ON THIS SHIT!".

Bit it does make a good extra little feature.

Quote Originally Posted by esaul17 View Post

QFT. And then after a while, no one cares anymore (and even if the new member does care, they'll shortly realise no one else does), so it no longer is special, and we just lost the whole point of unrestricting it, unfortunately.

because the internet
    OMG! Five posts until arcade!

Thats something I can look forward too

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Tomi, if we make some parts of these forums too exclusive and give almost nothing to the members upon signup, it can also have a negative impact as well. You have to look at this from a new person's perspective as well.

Would you rather go to a forum that gives you great things right off the bat like this forum does, or go to a board that doesn't really give you anything super special till you reach X number of posts? You might say the latter, but I'm betting deep down you'd rather have the easier option. The fact is, we've already considered making this forum really private, and not allowing people to read it unless they're a member, but that will just have an adverse effect on the traffic. Why? Because if people didn't sign up before, what is completely forcing them to going to accomplish?

The forums will pick up soon. LP isn't in the mainstream right now and a lot of people moved on. However the new album should bring in some new fans (or bring old ones back) and this place will be busy again. Infact its already busier now.

because the internet
    It actually is a lot busier since last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    It actually is a lot busier since last month.
    Because of the competition....I actually agree with the whole 'earning your usertitle' thing because it indeed gives someting to strive towards. I remember I was etching to get 500 posts to get into the arcade and etching to get 1,000 posts to get a custom user title. I think also with the 'extra' features that were suggested I must agree with Derek, it'll make simple users bored shitless and probably a lot of complaints coming in about unfair of 'premium' members.

because the internet
    Yep. Having too much special forums give the normal users nothing, but maybe one more forum wouldn't be that bad because only super member is something we can get without having to do anything extra.

To be honest, I can't really get my head around this bonus forum idea. What could we possibly talk about in an extra forum that we can't in the normal forum topics, without having to restrict those topics to members with a higher post count? Like, I don't understand how making it so members can't access "Other Music" until they're at 1000 posts or "Artists Studio" at 1500. It's alienating every new comer and giving them less oppurtunity to get their post count. Plus those topics might be the only subjects they're interested in, and may not have the interest to stick around spamming LP chat just so can they talk about General topics. I know quite a few members who just come here and post nowhere but Other Music for years now.

If you meant creating a forum that doesn't take away the General topics we have then okay, but I can't imagine what a "Super Member Only Forum" can cover that our own boards don't already, including our VIP forum.

because the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    If you meant creating a forum that doesn't take away the General topics we have then okay, but I can't imagine what a "Super Member Only Forum" can cover that our own boards don't already, including our VIP forum.
    Snap.

I suppose the special forums works with some forums and not others. Some people post various topics in restricted forums which they wouldn't otherwise in public. Like I said, it's a concept that either sinks or floats. Doesn't necessarily need to be implemented, it was just an idea. The Super Members don't really get much besides a special blue title ... yay.

Although, I noticed something about these forums. Look at the first page of the Random Chat forum - what's the percentage of topics that aren't games? <10%. Serious Chat hardly has any active topics in it, but they're rather serious topics; a lot of people tend to avoid seriousness [but there's enough people that like to debate], and most general topics wouldn't fit in there, so they get put in the Random Chat forum aaand then lost in the sea of games and subsequently forgotten. Lovely, isn't it? People don't really have anywhere to discuss general topics without the topics getting lost in a sea of games, and it doesn't really seem like general chatting is encouraged in Random Chat, just games.

So if you want posting activity to go up from people who don't want to discuss music/movies or serious topics but just talk in general, then perhaps you need to add another forum (perhaps 'The Lounge') where people can sit back and talk about stuff freely (like RT) without the topics being flooded by ridiculous games - a lot of people tend to stay completely clear when they see games, and since there's so many in Random Chat, they tend to overlook a lot of topics.

Of course, there's Random Thoughts n, which is highly successful (from what I remember, anyway. I haven't looked recently) but why would you want to keep all that discussion within one topic when you can expand it to a whole forum, and with that, topics don't get lost and can be further discussed (rather than their few hour timespan when something else comes up), causing there to be more potential activity, since topics can be discussed for days.

Alternatively, if you don't want to create a forum (if the argument is too many forums - get rid of the test forum and newbie forum, they're pointless. The newbie forum can be replaced with a topic in Random Chat), you could at least cut down on the amount of games in Random Chat, since it's too overwhelming and doesn't leave much room for general topics. Then again, I bet RT kills a bunch of potential topics, since people would rather post there than make a topic.

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Thanks for the input. We've read what you said and we'll consider them with future changes we may make to the site, however we cannot guarantee what the future may hold. That's really all we can say at this point.

Of course, just offering my ideas - not expecting to see anything immediately as it all requires plenty of thought. I'd love to see this site become really interesting to me again like it used to be.

But hey, at least you've been successful in keep it alive for so long.

because the internet
    Thats because the LPA is awesome, if this forum/site got shut down I would die.

how about a 18+ section, for people that have X number of post and are a certain age. Plus have it as an option to be hidden or not. xD.

I mean, the LPA can be quite perverse at times anyway..

Or implement a blog like thing that expands the user profiles. I see a lot of forums doing that lately and it seems to have taken off well. The down side of that though is everything becomes more of a popularity contest. X__X.

Maybe you should introduce a "coin" system for any x number of post you make that can be taken away as a type of discipline but having enough allows you to do extra type things such as enter the VIP room. Like, say if you have 1000 coins you can enter the VIP room (or a room that's created just for this purpose because really, it'd be unfair to the VIPers I guess) until your coins run out. You have 5000 coins you can enter 5 times, etc, etc. It'd give people incentive to sign up AND stick around. Just an idea.

because the internet
    Like a reputation type thing?

Also an 18+ section wouldn't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Like a reputation type thing?

Also an 18+ section wouldn't be right.
    Matter of opinion.

Thread Information