Tonight: Franz Ferdinand

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Shadester, Jan 11, 2009.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alright, it's out. Who's listened to it?

I'm not gonna rate it in detail right now, because I've only listened through once, but I gotta say, it really isn't that good. When they said it would be less rock than other records, I wasn't expecting this. As it stands now, I like half the album and am initially disappointed.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Havent listened to it yet, but this was one of my most anticipated for 09, so the initial reaction that i've heard from people is slightly dissapointing. Still, never heard a Franz album before, so I really wont have anything to compare this to, so maybe i'll like it more. In any case, Merriweather Post Pavillion released on the same day should make up for it (seriously, why has no one on the forum listened to that except me and barney?).

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

yo son! its barnes, not barney! lol

I always liked the track take me out by franz, but to be honest I tried out the album it came from and couldnt bear to listen to a single other track. Same with this one, I couldnt get past the first 4 songs, and I really dont care about listening to the rest at that point so I deleted it.

I guess its just the difficultly of getting into some of these "indie sound" bands. I know they are not actually indie but everyones begun to classify them as that. But anyways, I get this with Modest Mouse as well. They have a few tracks I absolutely love but alot I just cant get into. Im sure there is someone who will like this album but they will prbly be someone who loved Franz and Modest Mouse and the likes for there whole collection and not just their hits like me.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

"You Could Have It So Much Better" was amazing. I'll give this a shot.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Crap, sorry:lol:!

Anyway, if I liked Ulysses will I like this one?

bartnawer

bartnawer Member

Its alright. A little to poppy for me. Id give it a 6/10. No really memorable songs but only one listen so idk.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

this.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Well, I listened to it a lot more. I can appreciate it much more now. Though I still only like a little over half the record, there's some great tunes here. The main single Ulysses is still the high point of the album, but is followed closely by Lucid Dreams and Twilight Omens. No You Girls is extremely catchy and was stuck in my head all day today.

There's some great basslines and techno beats so the Franz signature sound isn't missing. I think my biggest problem with this album was that a lot of the songs sounded the same or too similar and now that I've cut down on some of those, it sounds much better. It's still not as good as its predecessor though.

Did anyone else listen to it?

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I just started listening a few minutes ago (track 3 now), and i think it's sounding really good. The synth is a nice touch, although i hope at some time in the album they have a couple guitar or piano based songs.

Edit: wow, Twilight Omens is fair. trippy

Edit 2: really, i have no idea what problems you guys have with this record, it's really quite amazing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009