Tool

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Apr 9, 2003.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I love Tool for its diversity and writing simply great music. Their songs range from a minute (Eon Blue Apocalypse, a middle-eastern acoustic song) to over thirteen minutes (Third Eye, my favourite!). They play softly (Disposition), loud (Ticks & Leetches and Undertow stuff), they play in different keys (LP plays in D minor and thats it, Tool I'm not sure but they play D minor, E minor for sure, and more), they play in different time signatures (4/4 a lot but they have played in 3/4, 6/8, and they did Schism in 7/8 time), and they change throughout many songs. Many tempo varieties are also present. On many songs, the rock structure (verse/chorus/verse/chorus) may not be present or only start a song, before it goes into development and flows much like an orchestral composition. They also develop their ideas more and better, something that Linkin Park could do a bit more. They also make you think. They have points of view (like on Aenima, they talk about how beliefs are dangerous, and to believe in nothing. while I don't agree it does have evidence and it is thought-provoking), they lyrics are very well done; sophisticated with many metaphors (Maynard James Keenan graduated from Westpoint Military Academy). Danny Carey is one of the best drummers of all time, he sometimes leads the entire band with a solo or carries the melody with the guitarist (he has a degree in music @ a university).

If you could voice your opinions about Tool (if you've heard enough to make an opinion) thats great. Tool is HARD to get into. Their latest album, Lateralus was 79 MINUTES LONG! With five of the 13 songs over 8 minutes! Schism (6:45) was the first song I had ever heard, and I thought it was pretty damn dull!

A year later I downloaded it again, and I listened to it and you need to focus on different aspects of the music (the vocalist is not always the lead 'instrument', because the voice IS an instrument and should be toned back sometimes), sometimes there is a drum solo, or the bass takes control, or the guitar comes in with a melody; you need to get used to it. If you can get into Tool, you'll love it, I guarantee!

Undertow is a good metal album, but the true classics are Aenima and Lateralus! Happy Listening!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

i've heard schism and parabola from Tool. i found the songs droned on too long and got pretty boring.

White Pony(turntables)

White Pony(turntables) Ambient

*doesn't read*

anyways tool is one of my favorite bands

'][' [[]] [[]] ][_

sup103

sup103 Ambient

White Pony, you are weird.

Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore Y2K

I hav a friend in my class who likes 'Tool' very much, but i don't. I think they are TOO weird...

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

I agree with that! I heard those 2 songs and I really really hate them. :rolleyes:

dark_assassin

dark_assassin Well-Known Member

ive heard some of their songs..some are cool,but then again,some are wayyy too long..its annoying when the song is like 6 minutes long

Bryan

Bryan Guest

They're ok.

Did anyone know they do their shows "flipped around" unlike other bands. They have the drummer in the very front, and the singer in the back.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

cant stand em

Shinji

Shinji Illuminate

I agree with that! I heard those 2 songs and I really really hate them. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    i totally agree :D

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

They're alright. I like A Perfect Cirlce a lot more, though.

Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

they're alright i guess, i have only heard a few songs from them.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

crud

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

yeah, APC are 10x better.

Methybrea

:eek: What a negative reaction! :(

Well, those are your opinions. And 6 minutes is a medium sized Tool song...

Since LP is a VERY catchy band, though, and Tool is hard to get into, well, I guess that this reaction is normal. Although I think Parabola is a really catchy tune with the riff and the guitar solo and everything develops quickly too!

BUT anyone has to realize the brilliance of Schism, from the complex lyrics ('Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion') to the spider-like percussion (he does a lot with the hi hats), the 7/8 time signature, the triplet in the melody and the climax for the ending, I think that everyone should give it a try. And if Lateralus music is wierd for you, try Undertow songs like SOBER and PRISON SEX. Actually most of you would like Sober a lot, few 'boring' parts and only 5 minutes long! Download it!

And yeah APC is awesome but nowhere near the creativity or power of Tool's music, IMO, although a bit more catchier.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Hey, I love Tool :D!

I got into Tool when I heard "Schism". Actually, I heard "Hooker With A P***s" first, lol. Anyways, I love Tool's music! It works EXTREMELY well when I am drawing/sketching. It gets me in a dark-ish type of mode which gives me a type of creativity drive :D.

I like Lateralus (the song), although it's 9 minutes long, it makes good drawing time :).

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

L.P. are catchy? Noo, i just think the really rock, and, yes, they've caught on, but they have a lot more to offer to those who want to take a closer look. And... wouldn't it be a little annoying if Chaz and Mike were far away from the crowd and Rob was playing right in front of them? Rob is my favourite, don't misjudge, but his place is in the background. And that's the best: making the difference while not being seen.

P.S: I hate long posts
    :chemist:

Methybrea

Glad that you like them, Keaton!

The first song I heard from then was Schism, too.

Lateralus is an amazing track. Its almost 9 and a half minutes long. I love the riff and it has like 3 guitar solos. And then there's the slow part where Danny (drums) and the guitars are playing at different speeds! :D I love that part!

Methybrea

LP is VERY catchy. I don't know why you would say otherwise!

Anyways, they put Danny Carey up front because he is SO amazing! If you get a chance to hear his stuff you should. Actually, I'll put up a link later to one of his guitar solos.

And you think Rob's kit is large? Here's Danny's kit:

Drumset
    Sonor Designer Series
    8x14 bronze snare
    14x14 floor tom
    18x16 floor tom
    18x24 bass drum
    18x22 bass drum
    8x8 tom
    10x10 tom
    14" RotoTom

Electronics
    Simmons SDX pads
    Hardware: Sonor

Heads Evan's heads, power center-snare, Hydraulic-toms, hydraulic & EQ3 on bassCabs

Pedals
    Axis

Cymbals
    14" Paiste Dark Crisp hi-hats
    22" Novo China
    12" S.F. Flanger Bell
    13" Sound Formula Mega Cup Chime
    8" Paiste splash
    18" Sound Formula Thin crash
    18" Paiste Full crash
    22" Paiste Dry Heavy ride
    20 & 22" Paiste Thin China
    20" Paiste Power crash
    6" + 8" Signature Splash
    14" Signature Sound Edge Hi Hat
    18" Signature Mellow Crash, Power Crash
    20" Signature Full Crash, Thin China
    5" Bell Chime on top of an 8" 3000 Bell

Sticks
    Trueline

Pretty big. And he has some amazing parts too. Songs like Ticks & Leetches, The Patient, The Grudge, and Schism are examples on Lateralus. He has a lot of chimes and bongos and stuff that he plays in the background too!

Sorry for the large post, why do you detest them?

Methybrea

Oh, For Danny Carey Solos. You can D/L them on Kazzaa or Winmx by searching for Tool drum solos. There's one 1:50 solo thats good, but the 3:25 solo is a lot better, with Simpsons clips in the background! :p

So yeah check it out, he has really neat solos!