american natives:war or genocide

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dart, Oct 28, 2007.

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

from the moment columbus stepped on what we call today "the two americas" as much as tens of milions of north and south american natives have been killed from the hand of europeans or by the diseases europeans have brought there on purpose(giving them blankets contaged with smallpox for instance)...the number of killed natives escalates up to tens of millions which is a horrible number...from the north of alaska to the south of argentina people have been killed...the settlers who came with "mayflower" and other ships to north america and later inhabiting the 13 colonies which eventually created the usa were a part of this...give a thought...were the killings a part of some war,or planned to wipe out natives because they were of no use making it a genocide,and explain...

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's land pillaging.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

No offense but it's a pretty stupid quiestion asking whether it was a war or a genocide. It was genocide through and through. The Europeans discovered America by complete accident and then wiped out 90% of it's native inhabitants.

Today the majority of existing native tribes have become completely westernised and practise only the basic ethics that their forefathers established. When I went to Arizona last year I went on a heritage trail of the Hopi Indian tribe and I was absolutely amazed and shocked at what I saw. The word fake comes to mind because it was all a show for money. Dancing native dances at scheduled times for tourists and driving a diesel ran coaches is a middle finger to their heritage as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I also think it's disgraceful how small the amount of land is they're given, considering American land was theirs to begin with.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

You could definitely make the case for it being genocide. Native Americans got the short end of the stick every time when it came to treaties and agreements (which the colonies never honored). The Native American population has dwindled to the point of almost non-existence in the states, which is a fucking shame considering they have such a strong culture and we've learned so much from them.

I actually find it quite amusing the whole situation going on with illegal immigration, and how it just seems like karma coming back to bite the U.S. on the ass for all the things it did to the Native Americans. I guess what goes around, comes around.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I don't know if I would call it a genocide. To me a genocide implies trying to kill a certain race solely to get rid of that race. In the Americas, I believe the Europeans were more interested in the land and the death of the natives. The natives just didn't want to give it up (for good reason) so the two sides fought and it was a slaughter. I would say it was a really one-sided war, but not a genocide because the goal wasn't really to get rid of the natives, but instead to own their land.

Tim

You're right, the definition of Genocide implies intent to wipe out an entire religious, national, or ethnic group. Land was the main culprit in the battles.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Okay, lets define it as Mass Murder of innocent people then.

Tim

Well, you can say that of many different wars and conflicts... doesn't make it genocide. I guess it's silly to argue over details when you're talking about mass-slaughters, but I digress.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

i agree, the sad part was that it WAS one sided..Europeans were more advanced than the Natives Mostly and correct me if i get this wrong (learned it last year, cant exactly remember it all the way) didn't one of the Tribes help the British against the US in the way of 1912 (idk the year, but the one that eventually lead to the burning of the white house) and once it was over the British basically Left The Tribe for nothing so in helping the British they got nothing?..i dont remember exactly

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

as far as I'm concerned it is definitely a genocide...if my first post wasn't clear enough,i'm saying it now...i think it's a genocide...but you'll always have people saying it's war or whatever

Tim

Genocide or not, I think we can all agree that their acts against the Natives
    were completely reprehensible.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

It wasn't really a genocide. I'll agree that it was mass-slaughter.. a majority of them innocent. Umm.. but.. yeah, I don't think it really qualifies as a genocide, even though I know that there were some who believed in wiping out the entire race, it wasn't the goal. The main reason was land, not a racial indifference. It wasn't someone being like, "Hey.. I fucking hate those indians. Let's kill them all!" It was more like "Oh my fucking Jesus Christ pussy cake with sugar-coated semen-filled balls..... this is a big random fucking continent here. :D LET'S BUILD HOUSES! ....waaaaaaait... who are you guys?"

Indian: You can't live here! I live here! With my family.. with my tribe.. I am a warrior.

English man: I'm a white guy who doesn't give a fuck.

BAM!

Fucking dead.

Sooo.. you see. They just wanted to build houses.. not.. kill an entire race of people.