bread crumbs & white stones

Japanese Researchers 'Create' See-Through Frog

TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese researchers have succeeded in producing see-through frogs, letting them observe organs, blood vessels and eggs under the skin without performing dissections.

"You can see through the skin how organs grow, how cancer starts and develops," said the lead researcher Masayuki Sumida, professor at the Institute for Amphibian Biology of state-run Hiroshima University.

"You can watch organs of the same frog over its entire life as you don't have to dissect it. The researcher can also observe how toxins affect bones, livers and other organs at lower costs," he told AFP.

Dissections have become increasingly controversial in much of the world, particularly in schools where animal rights activists have pressed for humane alternatives such as using computer simulations.

Sumida said his team, which announced the research last week at an academic conference, had created the first transparent four-legged creature, although some small fish are also see-through.

The researchers produced the creature from rare mutants of the Japanese brown frog, or Rena japonica, whose backs are usually ochre or brown.

Two kinds of recessive genes have been known to cause the frog to be pale.

Sumida's team crossed two frogs with recessive genes through artificial insemination and the offspring looked normal due to the presence of more powerful genes. But crossing the offspring led to a frog whose skin is transparent from the tadpole stage.

"You can see dramatic changes of organs when tadpoles mutate into frogs," said Sumida, whose team is seeking a patent.

Such frogs could theoretically exist in the wild but it is "virtually impossible" they would naturally inherit so many recessive genes, Sumida said.

The transparent frogs can also reproduce, with their offspring inheriting their parents' traits, but their grandchildren die shortly after birth.

"As they have two sets of recessive genes, something wrong must kick in and kill them," Sumida said.

While the researchers relied on artificial insemination, they said that genetic engineering could also produce transparent and even illuminating frogs.

Sumida said researchers could also inject into the transparent frogs an illuminating protein attached to a gene, which would light up the gene once it manifests -- for example, showing at what stage cancer starts.

Sumida said it would be unrealistic to apply the same method to mammals such as mice as their skin structure is different.
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/690360

I think it's really cool that researchers are starting to be able to do things like this, but it makes me fearful for what scientists are going to be capable of in the future.
    So... I'll keep searching for a place called home.
    I'll rip my roots from this earth into the unknown.
    Is it for the dreams I chased or the ones I caught?
    This mystery, this misery is killing me.
    So, now, I'll leave behind a murder scene.
    My life isn't real; it's just s silhouette.
    And, when the sun goes down, I won't exist.

I'm a ginger kid, my skin is practically see-through to begin with. YAWN.
    O o
    /Ż___________________________________
    |IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER BLARRRRRGHHHH
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

wow thats so cool

and..lmao Tasta

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I think it's really cool that researchers are starting to be able to do things like this, but it makes me fearful for what scientists are going to be capable of in the future.
    Totally agree with that. Research is getting too far sometimes.

[n°21]

What people considered going too far a hundred years ago is normal now and what we consider going too far now will also be normal in future. Imagine if the scientists had stopped every time they heard that.

Now we wait for the news that the Frogs have mutated into 50 foot creatures with a taste for human blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dušan View Post
    What people considered going too far a hundred years ago is normal now and what we consider going too far now will also be normal in future. Imagine if the scientists had stopped every time they heard that.
    That's true. I hadn't thought of that.

There's a big difference between something like this and, say, making Blade Runner a reality.

If this is helpful for cancer research, I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    There's a big difference between something like this and, say, making Blade Runner a reality.
    !!

Very interesting.

Trapped Inside This Octavarium Harlz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esaul17 View Post
    If this is helpful for cancer research, I am all for it.
    God yea, that'd be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    This opening riff makes me want to grow my hair out and cut the sleeves off my shirt

Up The Irons

I doubt anyone else will care about this aspect, but it does suck that they can't reproduce properly anymore.

Thats pretty cool. Before i saw the picture i was thinking it was a frog that was see through like water, and you could only see its bones and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Beca View Post
    Thats pretty cool. Before i saw the picture i was thinking it was a frog that was see through like water, and you could only see its bones and stuff
    I thought so too

Hmmm...reminds me of that one movie...hollow man, or what it was called...
    George Costanza: 3 pints of Kramer's blood!?

Jerry Seinfeld:Yeah! I can feel his blood inside of me...y'know? Borrowing things from my blood!

!!!

Formerly known as Mr. Nobody

Thread Information