Employment

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Branden, Oct 7, 2006.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Where do you all work?
    Any weird working tales you'd like to share?
    Complaints? Praise?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'ma move this over to Serious Chat.

I worked over the summer with the provincial Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in the Registry of Deeds and Companies. I sat behind this huge desk and lazed around until a customer came in looking for a deed to land or company record. I'd then guide them through the process of finding what they wanted. I couldn't actually do the search for them due to liability issues, so I'd have to get a feel of what they were looking for. If they believe the deed they're looking for was registered in , say, 1953, I'd have to point them to the book of deeds from 1949-55 and show them how to use it. They'd come back to me with a reference number and I'd find the volume they're looking for. Pretty simple job. There were alot of cantankerous old people though. They suck.

Now I'm doing 6 courses for my second year of my Business degree, and it'd be impossible for me to work. I did amass a fairly large chunk of cash over the summer, though, so that should get me through until next summer. I love government pay rates. :lol:

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I work at McDonalds.

You wouldn't even believe.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hello, welcome to Bennigans, how can I help you? Okay, let me get your menus and I'll take you to your tables.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I'm an Administrative Assistant for the State of Delaware Insurance Department for the Workplace Safety Program. My job is really a two person job, but they haven't hired another person for it so I'm the only one doing all of the administrative work. I have my own office, too. Our program helps people earn discounts on their Workman's Comp. At the end of each month I send out hundreds of eligibility letters to companies all over Delaware (sometimes out of state, wherever the corporate offices are located) and the employers have to decide if they want to participate with us or not. Most of the time they do because they save money if they participate. The employer then faxes or mails our eligibility letters back with a name of contact and then I send out a fee schedule and application for them to fill out. The employer then sends that back with an appropriate check and then when I get that back, I process it by making copies of the total checks received and put a copy in each company file, a copy for our records and the actual checks go back to the mail room in the building. I then send the applications that we received to the three inspectors that we deal with and they schedule the participating companies down to inspect their places of business. Once inspections are completed, I'll receive in the mail what are called invoice packets. On the invoice paper it states how many places the inspector inspected and the fee that he charged. It also comes with an inspection report that states what the inspector inspected, found, recommendations and whether the company passed or failed. I then check to see if people need refunds or invoiced for money so the inspectors are properly payed for their work. I produce and fax certification letters to the Delaware Compensation Rating Bureau and then send them out to the companies stating that the company will receive their credit (if passed) and a copy of their inspection report. Other tasks I do is answering phones, copy/fax, maintaining company files and plan meetings.

That's basically the gist of my job but another job that I do is fill in for the receptionist when needed. There are a few other ladies that do it as well but whenever the receptionist is out, takes her lunch or just takes a random break, someone has to cover for her. So she chooses who she wants to cover. I've been trained to do it and I get asked to do it a lot. Basically what that job is a lot of transferring phone calls to the proper extension and dealing with visitors and deliveries that come in.

I do so much, lol. Sometimes my job gets to me because I do A LOT of work in one day. Derek knows, lol. I do complain about it but I really do love my job. I work 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday - Friday, off weekends. Plus since I work for the State, we have off on every stupid holiday there is! :lol: I can't really complain about that, lol. This is my first job ever too. It could be a lot worse for sure. :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I work at a helpdesk for a university

Them: "HELP OMG MY COMPUTER ISNT WORKING AND I NEED IT ASAP TO DO HOMEWORK OMG OMG IM GOING TO FAIL MY CLASS IF IT DOESNT WORK OMG PLEASE HELP ME!!!!"
    Me: "Is the computer turned on?"
    *long silence on the other end of the line*
    Them: "Um...oops"

Slight exaggeration....but we actually did have someone request a tech to be sent out for "unresponsive computers" and it turns out, they were turned off.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

I work in the Dining Services department for King's College, a local college. I work in the kitchen working prep for the meals, and salad bar, also doing platters and set ups for parties and events going on on campus. I also do the salads for our cafe, Connertons. I'm not too thrilled with my job mostly because of the people I work with, they're kinda crazy. But I like being able to work out on the lines with the students. I met a lot of people that way.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm looking to get a job at a local winery. They're almost always packed to the brim with people and they pay accordingly. I just need to wait for them to call me back.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I typed this a while back on another forum.

I pick tomatoes :lol: Yeah, its not a job thats known in the USA, but its a job that the youth in the west of Holland do.

Every morning, from monday to saturday, the people start at 6.30 and end at 12.00. During summer you can start at 6AM, and when its turning winter it goes from 6AM to 6.30 to 7AM to 7:30. Most of the youth stops at 12, but the older people who work as their normal job and at 3PM or 5PM. I start at 7.00 and end at 12. I work at this company for 5 years. This is going to be my 6th summer I think. I dont know the English word for the 'building/structure' I work in, so here's a picture.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afbeelding:Hoge_kas.jpg

I get payed € 4,50 an hour and im 17 years old. 4,50 is pretty good considering the other jobs I could chose. I try to work 4 days a week, but the choice is mine to decide how much I want to work in a week. So this week I worked 20½ hours, and made €94. At the end of the week I go to my boss with my work-paper (shows the hours I worked) and he calculates my money "4,50 x hours = money I get. If its 92,25 (like this week) he gives me €94. It depends on his mood. He could give me 92,50 or 93, or 94. It doesnt go to my bank account but I get in cash.

My boss has three of those 'buildings' (see picture). You know, I'll just call that building 'kas', because thats the dutch word for it. So, my boss has three kas. The first kas has 508 paths. 254 paths on the right, 254 on the left. In 2nd kas, he has 200 paths. 100 on the left, 100 on the right. In the 3rd kas, I dont know. Never been there. A couple weeks ago, the first kas produced 360.000 kilograms of tomatoes in ONE day.

In Holland there are about 9000 of these companies that are specialized in these things with a total of 10.000 hectares (??) of greenhouses. I think thats the word for it. In 1999, 150.000 people worked in greenhouses and produced a total of 4,5 billion euro's. Almost 80% got exported to other countries.

And sorry if you dont understand some things, my english is good but im not a master in it.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Haha :lol:.
    @Chris-Is it nice? It sounds very Scandanavian-ish :p
    ------------
    I can't have a job right now, but I'd find it ideal if I would have a job where my assignments are unique, and they change often. I wouldn't mind doing things which are dangerous either, but don't expect me to be an air hostess- I don't like airplanes (for ermm...specific reasons)-I'll fly only when neccessary.

I'd love to do advertising but lately sailing for oil sounds interesting. Trully.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
    Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

I work at a 7-11. best fucking job ever. :lol:

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I love 7-11. In Japan they have it there and instead of pronouncing it as (SeV-'n iL-e-Vun) they call it (Seb-un E-rRe-b(v)un)

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Franny, what is Bennigan's, some kind of restraunt?
    And Will, I'd call them instead of waiting for them to call you.

I work at Walgreen's, a drug store. It's pretty cool. It's mainly old people, with a few teenagers as far as customers, and for the most part they're pretty nice. I mainly work the cash register, which is fine because I like working with people for the most part. The best part though is definitely the people I work with. All of them are probably the coolest most laid back coworkers a sixteen year old high school student could ask for. The managers let me sing in the style of the Bee Gees on the intercoms, cut out disgruntled pictures of my faces and put it on shrunken heads hanging from halloween decorations, eat cookies while working, pretty much whatever. And the pay is pretty good for where I am in life.

I've come across a few weirdos in my time though. A lady once called me a racist stalker because I was straightening items in the aisle she was in, and I've had a whole bunch of people personally call me a liar because they read prices wrong, but whatever, I'm not much of a complainer.

Chris Luke

http://www.bennigans.com/

Grill & Tavern. Thank God I didn't have to work today. The store would have been swamped with Yankee fans who'll bitch about everything.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I like their French Dip sandwiches. [/random] :p

Chris Luke

People who usually order French Dip Sandwhichs don't tip.

So I got hate for you right now. Sorry, nothing personal. Stricly bussiness.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I currently don't have a job, unless you want to count being a Windows Live Butterfly, but that's kinda like a volunteer thing, and also I'm not suppose to put it on my resume, sadly.

I'll eventually get a job somewhere. :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I want a Bennigans in St. Louis. I ate at one in Charleston, West Virgina when I was driving out to DC, and it was my first time there. It reminded me of Applebees, except it didn't make me want to vomit. :lol: It was pretty good and they need to build one out here....

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I work at Captain D's.

I lose.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

Over the summer I worked at the pool (Or, "Aquatic Center", as they say) at my school, and I saw this guy literally just walk off the HIGH DIVE and belly flop, like...really, really bad. The best part was when he got out and his friends gave him a dollar before he ran off.