The Absolute Failure of Drug Prohibition

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by User Name, May 23, 2006.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Took this from another board. I want to see if we can actually get an intelligent discussion happening here.

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

I believe Bill Maher's stance on this topic is about right on target. It goes something like this when dealing with drugs and the government. If it doesnt come in a bottle with your name on it and the pill doesnt have the pharmaceutical company's name or logo on it then it wont be legal because it doesnt have a lobbyist lining Congress' pockets year after year. This is why and it is fairly accurate in my eyes too.

I dont condone drugs but I think some, like marijuana, are okay. We have spent too much time and money in Columbia trying to stop the drugs at the source. Why not legalize it and have it government controlled? A modest tax can be charged and according to some estimates the deficit could be wiped out pretty quick with the revenue produced. With the government controlling the THC mix and the distribution, the dealers would be out of business which reduces crime and we can stop putting potheads in jail. But this doesnt make any money for the limpdick Congressmen or the big bad drug companies so it wont happen anytime soon, if ever.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Drug dealers wouldn't be out of business. Not even the pot dealers. The government would charge, say, $30 for a quaker, but then the dealers would turn around and offer a lower price, like $20 (the street price for a quaker is $25 in my town). While I'm at it, studies have proved that a joint/blunt is healthier than a cigarette. Which one is legal, though? Cannabis and Tobacco both grow natural on this planet, but only one is legal. Why? Because nicotine is addictive (THC isn't nearly as addictive as nicotine), thus more money for the big tobacco corporations, and ultimately the government.

Whether or not you legalize drugs, it's always going to be around. Just like the War on Terrorism, it's a pointless crusade. I think in my lifetime, I'll see marijuana legalized. Synthetic drugs such as LSD and MDMA, in my opinion, won't be legalized. My stance on drugs in general (except meth, since it literally rips your skin open) is that it's good in a controlled environment, and in relatively small doses. Drugs such as cocaine or heroine, in my experience with them and the people around me that have had 3 or more years experience with the, aren't nearly as fatal as the media makes them out to be. As long as you have the mental power to control your addictions, and you do them in a safe, controlled environment, I don't see why they're an evil to the media.

Yeah, sure, cocaine and the other "harder" drugs take a toll on your body, but so does McDonalds. No, before you read that last line and start typing a rant out, I'm not comparing cocaine or it's effects (short and long term) to McDonalds.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I think stuff like weed/cocaine/hallucinogens should be legalized. I don't see any problem with them as long as people use it in the right ways. In other words, don't be stupid about it. Doing stuff like LSD you should allmost allways do with someone at your side, in case you get a bad trip. Weed though IMO should and probably will be legalized at some point in the future. I doubt stuff like LSD will be legalized though, like Casey said, but people will still do drugs even if they are illegal so I agree there's no point in making them that way.

I think the only thing that actually does scare me is Heroine, but probably because I just think the fact of sticking a needle in your body is disgusting. If people want to do that though, that's also their place to do so.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

All the stuff you mentioned there can be deadly Anya, and I see no reason in legalizing it. I'm sorry.

Yes, even weed. It's been proven it has the same effects as alcohol when driving fully stoned.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Do you know how much weed you have to smoke to be so stoned you can't drive a vechile?

I do, because I've done it. It's about two quakers. And I was still fine.

EDIT: Besides, weed does not impare your judgement like alcohol does.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Does it still mean that people should use drugs to obtain a state of happiness? No.

No offense Casey but there are far more resourceful and healthier ways for people to feel good without causing possible harm to their bodies. Some of the more harmful methods (Acid, ecstacy, crack etc.) can really fuck you up and permanently damage your brain. A good example is to take a look at Ozzy Osbourne. He tried a little bit of everything when he was younger, and now look how much of a mess he is.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Yeah how do you define what quantity is right?How would a drugged person make that out?

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Derek: You can die from something strange allmost everyday, it's not like doing drugs will increase the death rate even by much because even if drugs are illegal now, people are still using them. The use of drugs won't change if they're legalized, people still and allways will be using them no matter what the government says.

Because like it says in the video, it's allmost a waste of time to deal with people who are doing them everyday because it won't stop. Those people made the choice to do it, so why do anything about it if they want to fuck themselves up? It's their choice, and whether we legalize it or illegalize it they'll still be doing it anyway.

Edit: Weed is much healthier for you to use than alcohol, and several of my friends have driven while on it while i've been on it too and in the car with them, yet they've done absolutely fine. No one has ever died from doing weed either, so I don't know why you can say that it's deadly. ;P

Weed is practically like candy. It's harmless.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
    Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Anya: Um...weed is not completely harmless, people have died from it...

Derek: Unfortunately, drugs are the only way some people can feel happy.

I'm for legalization because it would give much more money to the government and because of the argument that people will do it anyway no matter what.

Someone argued that the drug dealers would drop the price...maybe the government could forbid growing it. People would still do it but why would the gov care. They would be making a lot of money.

How would people know how much to have? It's like drinking alcohol. People would have the same mindset of responisibility to not have that much if they were to drive as they do when they remind themselves not to drink a lot when they drive. If they didn't have that responsibility, they would be the same kind of people that would DUI now anyway.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I've never heard of anyone dying from it. ;P And even could die from it, you'd have to take an extremely large amount of it probably for that to actually happen.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I can do this for days, really...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

We have a lot of people who smoke outside around the doors - which I hate, as I can't stand the smell of any smoke. And apparently one of the guys has done it so much that he literally fucked up his brain and now he's pretty messed up from it [I don't know what he did exactly..].

Sure, go ahead and legalize whatever drugs, but hopefully there's some tight restrictions to protect people from fucking up theirselves too much.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

drugs: hard on your liver
    kills brain cells
    can be fatal
    when you get high you do things you wouldn't normally do, SERIOUS things

getting drunk: hard on your liver
    kills brain cells
    can be fatal
    when you get drunk you do things you wouldn't normally do, SERIOUS things
    Sooo.... legalize drugs or make getting drunk illegal (impossible to inforce).

The reason the prohibition laws in the 1920's were so flagrantly violated is because of the law itself. If it weren't for the law, booze running and the making of booze wouldn't have been so profitable. The same thing applies to drugs.

People do drugs all the time, even if they aren't legal.

Thousands of ADD and ADHD children are on prescription amphetamines/ridilin for help concentrating.

In conclusion yes, drugs should be legalized. Although I wouldn't be doing them, because there is no such thing as a 'social stoner', getting high/stoned would always be the equivilant of getting totally drunk, which I am opposed to. And even if they were legal, D is right, take a look at Ozzy Osbourne.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
    $pvcxGhxztCasey

I'll never, ever see where people get off comparing getting high off of marijuana to getting shitfaced drunk.

Never.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Weed should be legalized. I personally know at LEAST 3 dozen weed smokers, and those are just the ones I know about. And guess how many of them have health problems from it or have directly had any serious consequences from smoking it? None.

My dad is 47 years old and has been smoking weed since he was 16. And what does he have wrong with him? Well...degenerative discs in his back and a bad knee from doing so much physical labor over the years...he's semi-deaf in his left ear from playing drums his whole life and having a hihat on his left side all the time, he has an irregular heartbeat that he was born with, and he has really bad acid reflux and stomach problems from his diet habits...but whoa, none of them were caused from smoking weed!

I firmly believe that the only reason weed is illegal is because cannibis plants have so many uses that if they were legal it would wreak havoc on a bunch of different industries. People have been smoking weed for thousands of years, and up until this century, weed (along with a lot of drugs actually) was always considered a good thing, beneficial to the human body, and useful for medical purposes. If it was really THAT bad for you, don't you think the Chinese and everybody would have been avoiding it thousands of years ago?

It's like, one caveman eats the blue berries, the other one eats the red berries. The one that eats the red berries dies shortly afterward. The other caveman knows now that he should probably avoid the red berries. If weed did all these horrible things that the government and so many people claim it does, I think the ancient Chinese and everybody else that used it wouldn't have kept it in their cultures for generation upon generation.

For the record, I currently only think weed should be legalized, as I do know of the dangers of other drugs. And I have personally never smoked it myself.