Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Widescreen or Fullscreen

When you are watching DVDs, which do you prefer: Widescreen or Fullscreen?

I like to watch Fullscreen movies because it obviously takes up the whole screen and it gives off a better viewing experience, imo. I never understood the concept of Widescreen. If someone could explain that, that would be nice.
    .:.Upcoming LP Shows Attending.:.
    8/15/2014 // Carnivores Tour // Camden, NJ

.:.Past LP Shows Attended.:.
    8/17/2012 // Honda Civic Tour // Camden, NJ
    1/31/2011 // A Thousand Suns Tour // Philadelphia, PA
    7/19/2008 // Projekt Revolution // Camden, NJ
    8/25/2007 // Projekt Revolution // Camden, NJ
    1/20/2004 // Meteora Word Tour // Philadelphia, PA
    2/13/2002 // Projekt Revolution // Philadelphia, PA

is Keaton
    I like to watch full screen.

Widescreen movies were made for widescreen TVs. Basically all it is is they cut the top and bottoms and there you have... A widescreen presentation, lol. It's that whole "cinematic feel" thing, I think.

But yeah, I love full screen for purposes of wanting to see the movies without the damn black bars taking up an amount of my viewing space.

I say all DVDs should come with a full screen version and widescreen version for the sake of not confusing the consumer! I can't begin to count the number of times my family or myself borrowed or bought a DVD that didn't clearly label whether or not it was wide or full and having to sit through it with those large bars...

I'd have to go with Full Screen too. Maybe it's because I grew up watching full screen or mabey it's because Wide Screen is just annoying. I've always found Full Screen to be a more enjoyable experience in my opionion, even when watching movies on a Wide Screen TV.

Banned
    I hated Widescreen at first, but having a couple movies with that effect...I got used to it and now I love widescreen. Trust me, it's horrible when you get pissed that your mom got the Fullscreen edition of Spider-Man.

But I agree with Keaton...they should sell movies with both WS and FS on the same DVD.

Doesnt really bother me a great deal, but I guess I'd go for Fullscreen over Widescreen
    Welcome To The World Of Tomorrow

widescreen.. it gives it that cinema look that i love
    越南 Vietnam - Betonamu/Etsu - Surpassing South
    Formerly known as
    ForTied/DJHahn

LPA VIP
    I prefer Widescreen because the entire picture is present. I know no better explanation or description of the "widescreen vs fullscreen" battle than this shot from Lord Of The Rings:

Fullscreen

Wide screen
    meet the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kæton
    I like to watch full screen.

Widescreen movies were made for widescreen TVs. Basically all it is is they cut the top and bottoms and there you have... A widescreen presentation, lol. It's that whole "cinematic feel" thing, I think.

But yeah, I love full screen for purposes of wanting to see the movies without the damn black bars taking up an amount of my viewing space.

I say all DVDs should come with a full screen version and widescreen version for the sake of not confusing the consumer! I can't begin to count the number of times my family or myself borrowed or bought a DVD that didn't clearly label whether or not it was wide or full and having to sit through it with those large bars...
    Like Ander said before me, Widescreen has the full picture. To get the fullscreen version, they chop off the left and right sides of the widescreen.

Isn't that only if you watch a widescreen version on a full screen TV? Surely if you were to watch the full screen version on a full screen TV there would be no chopped edges, it would just be scaled down to fit full screen.

Ambient
    Widescreen. It's not cropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Raj
    Isn't that only if you watch a widescreen version on a full screen TV? Surely if you were to watch the full screen version on a full screen TV there would be no chopped edges, it would just be scaled down to fit full screen.
    If you watch a widescreen version on a fullscreen tv, it will merely resize it to fit the screen (which is abnormally small). That's where you get the black space.

The full screen version is a chopped version of the widescreen version, as a resized version of a widescreen picture can look quite... abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by Friskey
    But I agree with Keaton...they should sell movies with both WS and FS on the same DVD.
    I agree with that as well. Like, for example, The Notebook DVD has a FS and WS format on the same disc. All you gotta do is flip it over. I like that feature. I wish more DVDs were like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea
    I agree with that as well. Like, for example, The Notebook DVD has a FS and WS format on the same disc. All you gotta do is flip it over. I like that feature. I wish more DVDs were like that.
    I agree, but most companies sacrifice that in order to have cover art.

I like widescreen better, but I buy DVDs in Full Screen, simply because I don't have a widescreen television.

But I have friends and relatives who do, and I like widescreen better.
    myspace.com/allwedoiscreate

Widescreen.

No control, no surprise.
    I prefer Widescreen. You see more than you do with Full Screen.

I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. The Doctor's Avatar
    I'm a huge movie buff so I'm very picky about dvd's. I get widescreen all the time.

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Widescreen definetely. I love the cinematic feel of the black bars (which are called letterbox by the way ), plus Ander's post explains it all.

If I ever get a large plasma TV...the widescreen will make all the sense in the world .
    The LPA is self funded. We support our hosting costs out of pocket and through ads, and although we do not expect our users to donate...any monetary contribution helps.
    To donate towards hosting costs and help support the site, please click on the Donate button below.

Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

I have a widescreen TV, so obviously I prefer widescreen movies. I never knew you missed out on that much picture with a 4:3 screen though, those pictures are incredible.

widescreen for me

Castle of Glass

Thread Information