Corporate-Named Towns

This week, Clark, Texas, morphed into DISH in exchange for a decade of free satellite television from the DISH Network for the town's 55 homes. Residents in Santa, Idaho, meanwhile, are weighing the pros and cons of changing to Secretsanta.com, Idaho.
    Across the nation, small communities are being courted by large corporations who say renaming a town provides a marketing buzz that can't be bought in television ads. Though some worry about corporate America's increasing influence in local government, many towns seem eager to accept.
    In a deal unanimously approved Tuesday by the two-member town council, Clark agreed to become DISH permanently, effective immediately. It's part of an advertising campaign for Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar Communications Corp., which operates the DISH Network satellite TV system.

The company pegged the deal at about $4,500 per home in the rural patch of ranch land, which is about a half hour's drive north of Dallas-Fort Worth.
    Beyond the lure of free TV service for the 125 residents, the renaming is a way for the town to attract businesses and residents, said Mayor Bill Merritt, who courted EchoStar to pick the town.
    "We really look at this as kind of a rebirth for our community," Merritt said. "We want everybody to come here."
    The town was founded in June 2000 by L.E. Clark, who sharply criticized the renaming.
    "I don't especially like it," said Clark, who lost to Merritt in May's mayoral election. "I worked my butt off a little over a year getting it incorporated."
    It was 1950 when Hot Springs, N.M., voted 1,294-295 to change its name to Truth or Consequences. Host Ralph Edwards, who died Wednesday at age 92, had promised to broadcast the popular radio show from the town that agreed to the change.
    In 2000, Halfway, Ore., become Half.com for a year in an agreement that put $100,000 in the town coffer and a new computer lab in the school.
    source. Sorry about the bold part, it went haywire.

This is both kind of scary yet kind of neat. I'm sure the residents there are happy about their free Dish TV.

Secretsanta.com, Idaho.
    myspace.com/allwedoiscreate

I live in Microsoft, Texas.

That's stupid. All I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    That's stupid. All I have to say.
    lol

Castle of Glass

Quote Originally Posted by tomi.
    I live in Microsoft, Texas.

One day, Microsoft will buy the sun and charge us 25 cents an hour for sunlight......

or there and back again
    I want to live in The Weather Channel, Ohio.

I would much rather live in Victoria's Secret, Texas.

or there and back again
    I can see the headlines now:

"City Abandoned As RIAA Takes Name"

Official Ghost of the LPA
    That just shows what the world is coming to.

But, hell, I'd be happy with free satelite TV if Oxnard became Direct TV, California.
    I joined LPA at age 11. I'm now the Official Ghost of LPA - just so you know.

Thread Information