Talk with Chester On Meteora

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

From Star Tribune:

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington was incredulous when he called Monday to talk about his band's highly anticipated CD, "Meteora."

"You haven't heard the record?" he said.

Nope. Warner Bros. Records is so paranoid about CD piracy that it would not send advance copies of the disc, due in stores March 25.

"I guess the record industry is kind of freaking out," he said. "Our last record got out before we even left the studio."

Bennington has only one copy himself -- and it bears not only his name but a special code, so any duplicates can be traced back. "They don't even trust me," he said.

The only way to hear music from "Meteora" now is to attend Linkin Park's sold-out show Saturday at the Quest. It's part of a 10-city tour to thank members of the group's fan club, Bennington said, adding that this is not a "corporate-sponsored tour." He promises that Linkin Park will play seven songs from the new disc plus favorites from "Hybrid Theory," the biggest-selling album of 2001 with more than 14 million sold worldwide.

What's "Meteora" like? "It's really soft, and it's really heavy," the singer said. "We've got a 10-piece orchestra [conducted by Beck's father]. We've got a Japanese pan flute. We've got live piano, acoustic guitars -- but somehow the songs still kick ass."

The songs are compact -- 13 totaling less than 40 minutes. The longest, "Point of Authority," is 4 minutes and 21 seconds. "That's like our epic song," Bennington joked.

Rap/rock isn't selling like it used to, so expectations are high for the Los Angeles band. Sales have been slow for the latest discs by Korn and Papa Roach, two of the genre's bigger bands.

Linkin Park was named the sixth-most-important artist making music today in the current issue of Spin. (Eminem and Radiohead topped the list.) Hard-rock kingpins Metallica enlisted Linkin Park along with Limp Bizkit for its Summer Sanitarium Tour, which comes to the Metrodome July 27.

Bennington said the Spin ranking was "an honor but kind of shocking," because rock magazines typically give Linkin Park an "average" rating.

He was less surprised by Spin citing Chester Bennington as the "least likely name for a rock star."

"It's an old-school name," said the Arizona native, who turns 27 next week. "Everyone would always say 'He's going to grow up to be a lawyer or a doctor with a name like that.' I wanted to sing in a rock band."

He never considered using a pseudonym.

Any lawyers or doctors in the family? His father, Lee Bennington, is a retired police officer. His grandfather, Chester Bennington, was a juvenile-court judge.

Case dismissed.

Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

thats a sweet article!

American Nothing

American Nothing Well-Known Member

Twas v interesting. Thanks.. =)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

"Points of Authority" as the epic song on Meteora? lol, that's messed up..

i'm pretty sure he was talking about Breaking The Habit.

[Darken Hybrid]

[Darken Hybrid] Ambient

I hate to say it, but Warner Bros. sucks. They wouldn't even hand out a copy to the members of LP 'cause they dont trust them. LP should sign with another records company. Just really unfair...

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

i don't agree with everything they do, and maybe it's going too far when they won't give band members copies of their own cd's, but what they're doing is in the best interests of the bands, and i agree with that.

all these security measures prevent the cd from leaking too far away from the release date, i like that alot.

exthuse

exthuse Active Member

it is ####ed that WB wont even give them...what they made! its there CD that they made....they should be allowed to do what they wont....they really think Chester is gonna copy the cd to his Kazaa Folder....yeh but if lp sign with a diff. label it could be worse...they may not have the same treatment...if lp are happy then thats fine by me :blink:

Bryan

Bryan Guest

I think Chester was joking about them not trusting him, Chester hates the computer, so I highly dought he knows how to rip songs to a computer and then put them up for download :lol:

All the albums they give out untill its released have those tracers on them, its just a good way to prevent it from leaking, and if it would, then they know who did it and can sue the illegitimate offspring of unmarried parents :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.