AFI set to return

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Astat, Oct 8, 2005.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Being a huge AFI fan, I had to be the first to bring this news.

http://afireinside.net/temp.html is the band's new website. The URL will most likely change (or this site will just replace the old one on www.afireinside.net) but this is definitely official. There's a loop playing some new music, clicking on the trees brings up pictures of the band in the studio, and there are links to the old website, news, discography, and messageboard. According to the latest news, they're putting the finishing touches on the new album, which is rumored to be out in the first month or 2 of 2006. And to top it all off, the band is on KROQ Los Angeles today, and the station is going to premiere a new song this weekend.

I'm excited, knowing what this band is capable of producing. Sing the Sorrow was such a fantastic album that I still love every song on it, and I bought it like a month after it came out.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

When did they leave?

Astat

They didn't really leave, they just seemed to drop off the face of the earth for a while...their old website hadn't been updated at all since May until a few days ago, and the last major update was April of last year. It happens with bands that take forever between albums...*cough*LP*cough*

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Interesting. I never cared for them much, personally, one thing being that I, for some reason, have NEVER been able to understand a word that man says. Except in their cover of Head Like A Hole, only because I already knew the lyrics. Maybe I should re-listen to one of their albums with a lyrics sheet or something. Other than that, they're not bad. I'll probably give the new album a listen.

Astat

Davey is pretty hard to understand without having the lyrics booklet, kinda the same way with Claudio from Coheed and Cambria I guess. If you get the chance though, look up some lyrics because Davey's a pretty damn good songwriter. Really deep meanings and some big words in their songs.

I personally got hooked on AFI because of Jade Puget, the guy can shred (case in point: solo in Dancing Through Sunday) and he doesn't just use basic powerchord progressions like most modern guitarists do. I rank him right between Matt Bellamy from Muse and Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age as one of the 3 most creative guitarists to hit mainstream in the last few years.

You can't top Adam Carson, the six-armed drummer, though. *points to sig* :lol:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I never got why people say Claudio is hard to understand. You can understand him better than, say, Cedric Bixler Zavala of The Mars Volta (Cut That City).

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Another thing is that I think they took down the secret website for Sing the Sorrow. The last time I plugged my CD into the computer, it wasn't working. So yeah, if you missed the chance to get the two b-sides and the three Sing the Sorrow demos, you're doomed to p2p.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Yeah, I agree. I mean, there are some songs where it would be hard to understand Claudio for the first few listens but you get used to the way he sings and it gets easier. At least, it did for me.

Anyway, I can't wait for a new AFI album. I loved Sing the Sorrow and hopefully this is better than it.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I can't wait to here this. It seems like an awfully long time since I've heard anything new by these guys.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

its good to hear that they are back in the studio. you u wanna understand davey you have to listen to him really really really carefully.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I have Sing the Sorrow and it's a pretty good album. I thought the Head Like a Hole cover was alright. I'll also give the new album a listen.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I love AFI, but wasn't really a big fan of their Head Like a Hole cover. My favorite album of theirs is probably still Black Sails in the Sunset, and I'm excited about this new album. Definitely buying it.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Am I really the only one that doesn't like AFI?

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

no, I personally don't like them, there's nothing particularly bad about their music, I just don't like it...

although that solo in Dancing Through Sunday is pretty damn good.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Yesss.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They also released a song from the Sing The Sorrow sessions on the KROQ radio station in California recently. Click here to download it.