30 Seconds to Mars: "A Beautiful Lie"

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Ant, Aug 27, 2005.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Well, quite honestly, I don't feel like going back and digging up one of the old threads, so I thought I'd start a new one about the album since it comes out in a little over 3 days.

Honestly, I can see why "Battle Of One" and "Hunter" weren't on the original album tracklist... they're good, but they really don't fit in with the theme of the album, and they also really screw up the flow that the album had (why they couldn't just put them before "R-Evolve" and "A Modern Myth" is beyond me), which really sucks.

Hopefully the album will have some interesting content (and hopefully the "Attack" video, which will debut Monday on Fuse).

I know there are a ton of 30 Seconds to Mars fans here, too :p

Edit: Oh, and they didn't take out the little "intro" (crap) to "Savior"... that's going to piss me off everytime I hear it. I don't care if it relates to the song or not, I just consider it unprofessional -- I know, I know, I shouldn't care... but I do!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The intro to "Savior" does seem misplaced, but the song itself makes up for it in so many ways.

I can't wait for Tuesday, I'll be getting this and the new Cold album that I've yet to hear. Yay!

Ant

Ant Ambient

True... it's definitely one of my favorite songs on the album.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

I don't mind the intro to Savior, but after you listen to it a couple times, I just wish it would go straight into the song, but what can ya do? bleh

I love this CD, i think it's a step up from their S/T album, I was the first person in this area to hear of 30STM when I was on their Streetwise street team and passed out their sampler and stickers and now a lot of people around here like em :) not that I had a huge impact, but i like to think so, lol.

as mark said, I will definitely be at Sam Goody (So i can add pts to my Replay card, lol) in the early hours to pick up A Beautiful Lie and the horridly covered, but beautifully tracked Cold album :) next stop is September, with a whole shitload of awesome releases :D

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

I have to check this out...I loved the "unmastered advance" version, so maybe this is like 10x times better.

I do remember the day after Christmas a couple years back picking up the S/T CD out of the blue only knowing that it was Jared Leto's band and was surprisingly impressed.

Ant

Ant Ambient

The final version is hardly any different from the unmastered advance. Only changes are the two extra versions and a few background noises, normalization things and other slight changes.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Oh...then i'll love this version :lol:

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

I've been holding out for 4 months.

I'm so glad I didn't download the leak.

Xero_

Xero_ Well-Known Member

i already got the album and i can say it's amazing..song like "savior" , "the killin" , "edge of the earth" and "a beautiful lie" are just incredible...this album's way better than the first..just [​IMG]

Ant

Ant Ambient

I'm not sure if you were just saying the songs you like by them or not, but "Edge Of The Earth" is on the self-titled debut.

Paul: You'll love it. You better :p lol

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I pre-ordered the album a couple of months ago before it was even available to pre-order off of the band's official site.

Since I'm in college right now, my parents are going to have to hold onto it and give it to me when I come home this weekend.

I can't wait.

You're right, though, that "The Battle of One" and "Hunter" don't fit in with the rest of the album. They seem misplaced, especially being at the very end, after "A Modern Myth."

The way I look at it though is that at least we got the tracks recorded for the album that didn't make it on the album. I know they are on the album but they weren't initially recorded for it.

I had to spend weeks trying to find "Revolution," "Phase I: Fortification" and "Valhalla." I still haven't found a downloadable version of "Anarchy in Tokyo" (even though it's on their MySpace).

So, I'm glad that we got the bonus tracks.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Ah, "Anarchy In Tokyo"... is it just me, or does it seem like "Anarchy In Tokyo" and "Hunter" were recorded at the same time? The background noises sound extremely similar.

lpthebest

lpthebest Member

you think the album is good. see them live, they are one of the best bands I have seen live. Frontman Jared Leto jumps off the stage and gets in the crowd, it was just so awesome.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

They might have sampled the music from "Anarchy in Tokyo" for "Hunter."

It's plausible.

Unlikely, but plausible.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I like the actual album artwork better than the plastic cover (what's being shown as the album art on a lot of online stores)... not a huge fan of the new Skulls logo, but it's not horrible. The songs are what matters, though, and like I've been saying, they rule! :) Only bad thing is the "Savior" intro... I still hate it! :p

Edit: And the ambient noise I hear is definitely the same sample they used in "Anarchy In Tokyo".

Mark

Are the bonus tracks listed as tracks 11 and 12 on the cd?

The one I picked up (and didn't buy because it was $18.99) had "A Modern Myth" as the last track, #10.

Ant

Ant Ambient

When you play it they'll be there.

It should have a sticker (red) on the front saying there are bonus tracks, too, but even if it doesn't it probably does. That's all they copied.

Paul

Wow...just wow.

After 3 loooooong years, its finally here.

Defitnately impressed. My favorite tracks: Was It A Dream?, A Beautiful Lie, The Fantasy, and Battle of One.

I'll post more later.

Paul

Attack: The single. No reason to talk about it. Rating: N/A

A Beautiful Lie: One of my favorites on the album. The best part of this song is the intro and the bridge when Jared is whipering and then yells "LIE!!!!!!!!" Awesome guitar work. Rating: 9.5/10

The Kill: Ugh. I hate this song. I refuse to believe that this is a 30STM song. The verses are nice, but the in the chorus Jared sounds like he is 12. Bad lyrics too. They should've replace this song and put a B-side or something. Rating: 2/10

Was It A Dream? The best song on the CD and the band's best song ever made. The intro is just...wow. Awesome work on Tomo's part with the guitar work. Awesome lyrics. Best song of 2005 so far. Rating: 10/10

The Fantasy: Kickass song, especially live. Matt does so awesome bass work on this track. Jared, Tomo, and Shannon do their parts well too. The best part is Jared's "OOOOOOAHHHS" in the bridge. The chorus is groovy and energetic. Rating: 9.5/10

Savior: I don't know why Ant hates it, but I like the talking intro. It adds a little flavor to the track and to the whole CD. The verses are very heavy and dark and lighten up once the chorus comes in. Sold track. Rating: 9/10

From Yesterday: This song would serve as an awesome second single. When Jared screams in the chorus, it blows me away. Rating: 8.5/10

The Story: Solid track. Cool intro. Could've used better lyrics but whatever. Very melody driven. I was waiting for Shannon to explode on this song. Rating: 7.5/10

R-Evolve: Very Blink-182ish. That could be bad or good but which ever you pick, its a solid track. Shows 30STM's passinate side which is what they were trying to get across with this record. Rating: 7.5/10

A Modern Myth: Ahhh, 30STM's first accoustic studio recording released on CD. Very emotional considering the fact they dedicated this song to one of their biggest fans who died last year. Rating: 9/10

Battle of One: Woah, that's this!?!? A secret track! This song is sooo badass. Its great to finally hear a studio recorded version of this song. This is by far Mars' heavest song. Sick guitar work Short, but awesome. Minus .5 because its short. Also, this Mars' best song live. Rating: 9.5/10

Hunter: Covering Bjork is a very hard thing to do. Though this song isn't very 30STMish, they did a solid job. Awsome drum playing on Shannon's part. Rating: 8.5/10

Mark

"Battle of One" is such a badass song. It's by far my most favorite on the album.

This album has no songs that I dislike. I love every second of it.