Education & Schooling

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by arT saveS, Jun 23, 2005.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Should one be forced to attend school? It shouldn't be the governements decision, or our parents decision, it should be everyones decision. You can still be an extremely intelligent person without going to school. I "dropped out" to get my GED and I plan on moving to New York to attend a music school to become a music producer. I've been saving up money to do that for quite a while now. Schools offer many opportunities, but the fact of the matter is that many people don't need a high school diploma to do what they will be doing for a living. I would rather do what I'm doing now, learning things everyday, teaching myself things everyday, to be good at what I will be doing in the future, not wasting my time on stuff I will never use. If a person wants to goto school that's fine, but it's not for everyone, and we shouldn't be forced, it should be a choice.

Anyways, discuss.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's one hell of a lot more risky dropping out and not going to college than it is to take the normal route and stay in school. That's my take.

You give the choice to the student and half of the time, they'll pick not to stay in school, leading to many ruined lives. Only the extremely focused people who drop out of school usually get a well paying job and successful career.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

It wouldn't be like that if you didn't have to have a diploma to get a good job. It shouldn't be that way. If you know what your doing, but can't get the job because you don't have a diploma, that's wrong. School should be there to teach, not to choose whether or not we can live a good life.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It wouldn't be like that if you didn't have to have a diploma to get a good job. It shouldn't be that way. If you know what your doing, but can't get the job because you don't have a diploma, that's wrong. School should be there to teach, not to choose whether or not we can live a good life. [/b][/quote]
    schools do teach, and a diploma (or many GCSEs in england :p) is just to proove you can do what you've been taught. for example. (in england, i don't know about anywhere else) you need an I.T qualification of some sort to enter something to do with comptures, just to proove you know what you are doing.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It wouldn't be like that if you didn't have to have a diploma to get a good job. It shouldn't be that way. If you know what your doing, but can't get the job because you don't have a diploma, that's wrong. School should be there to teach, not to choose whether or not we can live a good life. [/b][/quote]
    Well, the matter of the fact is that you often do need the high school diploma and university degree in today's modern world, so you need to adhere to the requirements of the job and take the safe route.

If you didn't need the requirements, sure, go for it. But the thing is, many times a person does need the degree/diploma, so that's why dropping out of high school/college wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Would you want a blundering idiot controlling your bank account?

I think school should be enforce up until highschool. If you want to drop out of highschool and work at McDonalds, fine. But atleast then you'll be able to have enough skills to do SOMETHING with yourself.

Me? I'm going to college. I want to go into veteranary medicine and make a nice living doing what I've wanted to do since I was five: work with and help animals.

Schooling is important for the economy and the world. If you just allowed everyone to choose to go to school or not, in ten years we'd have a population comprised of 90% morons with no higher than a grade 2 education, 7% with a high school education and 3% with a college education or higher.

Sorry, but I would rather die than live in such a society.

Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

Though school isnt always great it is a neccessity (spellin?)
    Yeah you can say ''i dont need school for what i plan on doin for a livin'', but what if things do not turn out accordin to plan and you dont get the job you had knowledge about, if you attend school you would still have gcse's or a diploma etc to fall back on, if you didnt you would be pretty screwed.

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

It wouldn't be like that if you didn't have to have a diploma to get a good job. It shouldn't be that way. If you know what your doing, but can't get the job because you don't have a diploma, that's wrong. School should be there to teach, not to choose whether or not we can live a good life.[/b][/quote]
    You may think you know what you're doing, others don't know it. if everybody told they know what they're doing, it would be too risky. A diploma is only a guarantee to the people who hire you that you know and understand what you're doing.

Yes, I realise that you don't need a diploma to work in a McDonald's but when it comes to jobs having more responsabilities, like a surgeon, the risk is way too high to take chances. Imagine a moment if they hired surgeons just because 'they know what they're doing!'. That doesn't make any sense!

So yeah, I think school is important if you want to have a good job and I don't think we should let teens drop out whenever they want.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I believe that people should have the right to drop out but I wouldn't drop out myself or encourage anyone to drop out.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

You don't need a diploma to get a good job. I've been homeschooled my entire life and have no intention of getting a diploma. And yes, there are ways for homeschoolers to apply for a diploma, but most don't bother.

"Schooling" and "learning" do not need to go hand-in-hand (many would argue they're mutually exclusive terms, but I don't have the energy to get into that debate right now.)

Recommended reading: Dumbing Us Down (excerpt) by John Gatto (New York State Teacher of the Year, 1991.)
    From his website:

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Read Comprachicos, by Ayn Rand. ;)

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Seems to me that most of you misinterpreted what I was saying. Yes I know that you need a diploma for many jobs, what I was saying is that it shouldn't be like that. Diplomas shouldn't be needed to get a job, you can show someone you know what your doing without a diploma you know, and it's not fair to THOSE WHO DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING BUT DO NOT HAVE A DIPLOMA. <---- Is the point I was trying to get across.

And no. I know many people who have diplomas, and have jobs where they have no idea what they are doing.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

My viewpoint:

You should be able to drop out of school when you reach grade 10, but in my opinion, it should highly recommended against, but you'd still have the option. But employers shouldn't require you to have a diploma. Well, most at least, depending on the job. Some people have specialized knowledge in one area, they don't care about the other subjects. Example: I'm really into computers, and technology, right? But I absoultely hate my Social Studies class, as all we learned about this year is Canada, the government/political system, how laws work, and police enforcement, etc. How the hell is this going to help me in my planned career [coder, designer, technician, etc. is what i'm planning to do. Computers are my life practically, I want to love my job, so I'll work on what I love]. Anyways...

Diplomas should still be required in some businesses, but not all. It should depend on the person. Some people are more ahead than our grade level, but do we still have to being in <s>hell</s> school for 12(+) years? Yes.

In case you're wondering, I'm off to a technical college, once i'm outta <s>hell</s> high school. Hopefully there's be some courses useful to me, if not, well. The internet is quite useful. :p

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I worked my ass off in high school to get into college. Now I'm working my ass off in college to graduate as a computer science and info technology major. I'll get out of college after at least 4 years with debt from loans coming out my ass. So after all that hard work, why the hell should an employer give my job to a high school dropout? I dont care if said dropout claims to be a genius, they don't deserve it. Going through 4 years of high school and 4 years of college doesn't neccesarily prove you're smart, living in the real world proves that. 4 years of high school and 4 years of college shows that you're dedicated and have the self discipline to excel in life. And if I was an employer looking to hire someone, I'll take the college grad over the guy that didn't make it past 10th grade, even if the dropout is slightly smarter.

Its bad enough I have difficulty ordering a quarter pounder at McDonalds because the people working there are idiots who never made it out of middle school. But it shouldn't be like that when it comes to hiring a programmer for a nationwide bank to build a secure system to keep everyone's account info safe or hiring a programmer to program the software that controls your car. Hey, how would you like a hacker getting full access to your bank account or your car's cruise control turning on and setting itself to 85mph in rush hour traffic? And when you're rushed to the ER after your car crashes, I don't think you'll want a doctor who dropped out of high school.

fallenangel

fallenangel Well-Known Member

as it stands in scotland, you can drop out of school at 16 which is what i did. but i don't think i was given enough support and information to make informed choices. i could have went to college to sit my highers to gain entry to university but at the time, i didn't know that. i was so desperate to leave school (cause of constant bulling) that i thought it was my only option. as it happened, i got a job working as a sales assistant then a pharmacy assistant but i was never happy. so i eventy went to college to sit my highers while working to get into uni. all that hassle could have not been if i was given more knowledge and support from the school but i really do think that eduation is so important in this day in age and that staying on in education, whether in high school or college, doing something more taylored to the individual needs of what you want to do in your future is so damm important. so yes, i think staying in eduaction till 18 is much more nessasary than ever before.
    as someone pointed out earlier (can't remember who) we don't want a world full of dumbasses!

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Your ass must really hurt...