Disabilites

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Shinoda_baby, Jun 16, 2005.

Shinoda_baby

Shinoda_baby Banned

I think its unfair that ppl with disablities are treated differently in society. i mean the care involved is humongous but ppl either stare at them or tease them about it.
    what do u think on this topic?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I hate the fact that people treat handicapped people differently. Most of the time, people that are mentally handicapped are the ones who are made fun of. I never see anyone make fun of people in wheel chairs or people who have lost a limb. It's more or less those who are deprived mentally, not physically.

I really hate it. My friend who had mental disabilities and heart problems was constantly made fun of. Even made fun of before they day he died. Everybody regretted it afterwards. It makes me wonder how people just can't accept...and even worse, respect people's differences. It goes with everything...disabilites, race, gender...it's unbelievable how this world has come to turn out.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Most of the time I don't see handicapped people being treated badly. However, they do get special attention/ special care or priviledges people like us don't. But, yeah, I do disagree with those who jeer and laugh at disabled people just because they're on a wheelchair or they walk funny.

There's a boy in my school who's handicapped, and he's on a wheelchair and sort-of paralyzed, I think. But he's treated like a normal student -- he has lots of supportive friends, he gets to study in class with everyone else, etc.. He also gets to involve himself in some school activities (well, depending on what it is of course) and it's sweet seeing he's part of the school, not a social outcast.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I live in a place where fortunately, we're on the whole open to disabilities. I work with kids a lot and some are mentally handicapped, so I know I don't really treat them any differently. I'm just more patient with them.

At my high school one of the football players Nat Little landed on his neck and was then paralyzed from the neck down. In a year he could move both arms. We're all very supportive of him and proud of his progress. He plays an active part in school activities and is now a coach of sorts.

I agree, I feel uncomfortable around those who pick on kids/people with conditions.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

people who take the piss out of disability make me sick. there's a kid at my school who isnt exactly perfect, but a lot of people take advantage of that and are really harsh to him just because he is the way he is. i also have wrighting difficulties (not a dissability really, i know) and i take one hell of a lot of flak for that, from teachers and pupils. i know there are a lot of people worse off than me. a lot worse off infact, and it makes me sick hearing people take the piss out of them for something they cannot change.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

It also makes me sick when people make fun of other people who have mental disabilities. It even makes me sick when people use the term "********" in a derogatory sense.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

It really annoys me when someone makes fun of mentally disabled people. If I see someone do it, I usually go up to them and ask them what the fuck is wrong with them.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Well, literally, people WILL be treated differently, simply because, they are different. However, when "different" becomes "discrimination", or something counterproductive like insulting, I have a problem with it, especially if it's something so arbitrary as a handicap that was recieved at birth.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

What he said.

Geki

Geki >.

People in my school make fun of mentally disabled people everyday, I have to sit near them and that' all they laugh about or pretend to be mentally disabled, all day literally. I also hate when someone who learns faster or slower at something like Math a ''sped'' or sometimes what teachers a ''Sped Student''. Yeah somewhat, we need more help at a certain subject in school, it doesnt mean we have a disease or are mentally re*tarded.. God I fu*king hate that.