Official Nintendo Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by LinkinJunior, May 15, 2005.

1. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yes, because we all know their idea of a rumble pack sucked, right? I mean, it's not like Sony stole the idea or anything.

I'm not going to say it's a good or bad idea yet. I haven't used it. But I will say this: chances are Nintendo has done a lot of play testing with it if they've waited this long to announce it. The same skepticism is apparent everytime Nintendo does somthing innovative. Remember the hoopla made when they revealed the N64 controller? People thought it was horrid, then they played games with it and the press fell in love with it.

Quite frankly, I'd much rather have Nintendo try something innovative like this and fail than have an industry that never changes. Sony's not going to push the envelope, and neither is Microsoft. Nintendo's going to be doing the pushing, and frankly, they're rather good at it.

Developers are not being forced to use it. They can if they want. If not, they can use the GameCube controller -- is everyone forgetting the Revolution has ports for 4 GameCube controllers? And they've already stated that there will be an adapter fore those who don't like the remote control/motion feel -- the Revolution controller will just plug right into it, and it'll function like a regular video game controller.

And not to be rude, but of course developers want to stick with the current generation... but if we did that with everything where would we get? New technology is always met with a knee-jerk response.

Edit: Controller adapter mock-up:
    http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000760059246 [/b][/quote]
    PS2 and Xbox have great controllers (well, the original XBOX controller was monstrous, but the new ones are great), so why fix what isn't broken?

Gamecube had the worst controller of the three, in my opinion. The right analog stick (yellow thing) was too tiny and too sensitive. The button arrangement was too weird, too.

To me, the trigger-grip R and L buttons on XBOX controllers was the best thing to hit controllers yet. Nintendo had more of a "press-downwards" R/L button combo, while Xbox has more of a pull mechanism type thing.

Nintendo has introduced some innovative things in the past to the controllers, though. Your aforementioned rumble pak point is one of them. It didn't really make the gameplay better, but it made it more enjoyable. Then there was the analog stick on N64 controllers. They've shaped the world of gaming today. It's just that both Microsoft and Sony took those things, and made them better. I don't see them re-inventing the whole rectangular controller thing, though.

2. NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

That IGN image reminds me of the Dreamcast controllers.

How can you say Nintendo's the only innovator?

Sony was the first to make the compact disc for gaming successful. They also were the first to have 2 joysticks on their controllers. Both of these things were industry changing. Everyone, including Nintendo, uses discs and dual joysticks.

3. Ant

Ant Ambient

PS2 and Xbox have great controllers (well, the original XBOX controller was monstrous, but the new ones are great), so why fix what isn't broken?

Gamecube had the worst controller of the three, in my opinion. The right analog stick (yellow thing) was too tiny and too sensitive. The button arrangement was too weird, too.

To me, the trigger-grip R and L buttons on XBOX controllers was the best thing to hit controllers yet. Nintendo had more of a "press-downwards" R/L button combo, while Xbox has more of a pull mechanism type thing.

Nintendo has introduced some innovative things in the past to the controllers, though. Your aforementioned rumble pak point is one of them. It didn't really make the gameplay better, but it made it more enjoyable. Then there was the analog stick on N64 controllers. They've shaped the world of gaming today. It's just that both Microsoft and Sony took those things, and made them better. I don't see them re-inventing the whole rectangular controller thing, though. [/b][/quote]
    I thought the XBox controller was easily the weakest of the three. I didn't like any of the last generation's controllers, though, to be honest, as I never was a DualShock fan, and the GameCube controller didn't appeal to me as much as the three-pronged N64 controller did, either. XBox's triggers on the shoulders were alright, but I felt like the GameCube's formed to my fingers more, and were more appealing.

Like you said, Nintendo normally makes innovative ideas that are stolen by other companies. The rumble feature and analog stick are two of the most apparent ones, but I think the reason you won't see them re-inventing the way people control games with this is precisely because it's not something Sony or Microsoft will be able to steal.

But I don't think for one second that the motion-sensitivity won't be stolen by Sony or Microsoft. That will be stolen within a few years, trust me.

Again, I have no clue how the controller will work, but I've got faith it'll at least be decent, given how long Nintendo waited. It makes me anticipate the Revolution release a little more, but I'm still not looking forward to it more than the 360 or Playstation 3.

4. NickelNine

You guys are talking like Microsoft invented the shoulder triggers.

DREAMCAST HAD THEM FIRST.

5. Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

I pretty much agree...here is the big problem.....

Because of the"new" technology the system uses... game developers will be forced to use it...This means more time and more money to develope games. Now tell me this...do you think game developers will want to go through all that just to make a game for a company whose last system did less than average in the system race.. Or would they rather stick with current technology and make a game that is playable on two systems (the PS3 and Xbox360) doubling their profits. The thing is....while nintendo is trying to appeal to the alternative audience ( grandparents playing a cooking simulation)...they are missing out on the major audience... 12- 25 year old guys that like to kill things. Dont get me wrong....I cant wait to get my hands on this system to try it out....but I really doubt companies other than nintendo will make games for it...

I think that nintendo just jumped into their grave...
    but only time well tell...I hope I am wrong [/b][/quote]
    First off, nobody is forcing developers to make games for any system.

Secondly, they clearly state that developement can be reduced to around four months to develope a game for the Revolution. No major straining and waiting.

Thirdly, the reason they are doing this period is to create a BIGGER, get this:

BIGGER

audience in the gaming industry. Be it grandparents, five year olds, or your average gamer (between 10-30). They want vetrans and novice gamers to feel welcome tot he world of gaming once again, hence, the Revolution and it's simplified controller.

Also, with this they can broaden the genre's they support. They do not have many FPS for any of their systems, but with this it will most likely change. You wanted your target of 12-15 year olds who want to blow shit up, there it is.

Now, I don't mean to bash, but sometimes getting facts straight first is a very good idea.

--

Now, my two cents on this controller:

I'm itching to get my hands on this piece of technology. It just seems simply genious. Yes, there are fewer buttons, but if you read IGN's article on the possiblities of this controller, they just make it seem so much more inviting.

And the idea of the adaptors for the controller itself is a genious idea.

So for all of you whiney people who are anti-Revolution, there will be adaptors for this controller if you do not want to use the motion sensor version, including a module like a regular game controller, check IGN's mock up.

So far, I can't find any fault to Nintendos plan and I agree with them completely. The first time I ever picked up a PS2 controller I had no idea how to use it. I found there were to many buttons and using two anolog sticks just increased the difficulty i was already having.

While I'm on the topic of two anolog sticks, this is one of Nintendos key points. Just go watch the Keynote.

6. Ant

Ant Ambient

I never said Microsoft invented them, nor did I imply it. You got that yourself. And, the N64 controller had shoulder buttons.

7. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Agreed.

A list of controller innovations from companies:

D-Pad: Nintendo
    Shoulder Buttons: Nintendo
    4-button diamond: Nintendo
    Analog Stick: Nintendo
    WTF 2 Analog Sticks: Sony
    Shoulder Triggers: Sega
    True Wireless: Nintendo
    Phallic Grip Controller: Nintendo. :lol:

I'm really interested in how the remote controller works out though.

EDIT: THIS is a shoulder trigger. Linkage.

As opposed to an actual button.

8. Ant

Ant Ambient

I never said Microsoft invented them, nor did I imply it. You got that yourself. And, the N64 controller had shoulder buttons. So did the PS's controller. Is a trigger really that big of a difference? No, Sega just changed it a little.

9. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I never said Microsoft invented them, nor did I imply it. You got that yourself. And, the N64 controller had shoulder buttons. So did the PS's controller. Is a trigger really that big of a difference? No, Sega just changed it a little. [/b][/quote]
    For many <s>gun-enthusiasts</s>people, a trigger just feels more comfortable. They're also placed in easy to reach places on the controller, since your hands naturally go towards the back of the controller rather than on the top, which is where shoulder BUTTONS are located.

10. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The difference between shoulder triggers on Gamecube and XBOX is that the XBOX controllers feel like you're pulling the triggers on a gun (great for Halo and other FPSs), while on the Gamecube you're pushing down on the triggers instead of pulling them.

11. Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Hold the phones!

I think we just figured out what to blame the school shootings on! XBOX and it's triggers!

Triggers, shoulder buttons, i don't see much difference and don't really care either. they get the job done.

12. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Yeah, I don't really like the Gamecube's shoulder buttons. It feels like you have to push them down to obivilon or something.

13. Ant

Ant Ambient

I think the preference on the shoulder triggers is due to the kind of games you guys play. I don't really play too many FPS games on consoles (well, I do, but it doesn't make up all of my collection, I mean)... I normally keep my PC for FPS games. So I'm more used to using the triggers for things like F-Zero's power sliding and things like that. For the XBox I use it more in FPS games.

I'm really interested in playing FPS games on the Revolution, though. It looks like it should work rather well, but as I've been saying, I'll just wait and see.

14. NickelNine

Using the Revolution's remote (controller) for FPS is like a hardcore Duck Hunt.

15. Ant

Ant Ambient

I forgot to comment on this post earlier.

Sony may have been the first to actually use compact discs, but Nintendo was the one that came up with the idea. I think everyone knows the story of how they asked Sony to help them design a CD-addition to the SNES, and they later backed out of the deal. Nintendo simply didn't want to give up on cartridges yet, but it was still their idea to switch to CD's.

As for having two joysticks, I really couldn't care less. I don't consider it innovative to have two joysticks. I think it's innovative to create the joystick... it's like saying the first company to have 59 buttons on a controller is innovative -- it's really not, it's just more.

16. NickelNine

2 joysticks make for a better gameplay. You can't tell me using the C buttons on the N64 was better than a joystick for FPSs.

EDIT: 2 joysticks have pretty much become the standard due to the better gameplay. So I'd say it's innovative if it becomes an industry standard.

17. Ant

Ant Ambient

Where'd you get that from? I never said I even liked the C buttons. I was merely stating 2 joysticks is hardly an innovation.

Like I said: adding more of something isn't exactly innovative. At least, I do not consider it to be. Obviously we have differing opinions on this.

18. NickelNine

Yeah, we do. No point arguing. Plus, I'm done posting for the night. Gotta go throw back a few brews and chill.

19. Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Ugh. I fucking hate that new controller.

20. Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

First off, nobody is forcing developers to make games for any system.

Secondly, they clearly state that developement can be reduced to around four months to develope a game for the Revolution. No major straining and waiting.

Thirdly, the reason they are doing this period is to create a BIGGER, get this:

BIGGER

audience in the gaming industry. Be it grandparents, five year olds, or your average gamer (between 10-30). They want vetrans and novice gamers to feel welcome tot he world of gaming once again, hence, the Revolution and it's simplified controller.

Also, with this they can broaden the genre's they support. They do not have many FPS for any of their systems, but with this it will most likely change. You wanted your target of 12-15 year olds who want to blow shit up, there it is.

Now, I don't mean to bash, but sometimes getting facts straight first is a very good idea.

--

Now, my two cents on this controller:

I'm itching to get my hands on this piece of technology. It just seems simply genious. Yes, there are fewer buttons, but if you read IGN's article on the possiblities of this controller, they just make it seem so much more inviting.

And the idea of the adaptors for the controller itself is a genious idea.

So for all of you whiney people who are anti-Revolution, there will be adaptors for this controller if you do not want to use the motion sensor version, including a module like a regular game controller, check IGN's mock up.

So far, I can't find any fault to Nintendos plan and I agree with them completely. The first time I ever picked up a PS2 controller I had no idea how to use it. I found there were to many buttons and using two anolog sticks just increased the difficulty i was already having.

While I'm on the topic of two anolog sticks, this is one of Nintendos key points. Just go watch the Keynote. [/b][/quote]
    sorry...but I really doubt grandparents and parents are really going to care....The eye toy was something that anybody could get into and nobody cared......secondly....I know a bit about developing graphics and shit so dont treat me like an idiot....all you did was just repeat what the guy at the conferance said.....if a game NOW A DAYS takes 4 months to make.....pretty much means its going to be a shitty game....games are rivaling movies...and budgets are starting to match......
    pretty much the revolution is going to be an expensive expansion pack that stands by itself....

People need to stop being fanboys....I love nintendo but I really doubt the revolution is going to improve anything.....all it is is a gyroscopic light gun......

edit- for crying out loud...who the hell wants to play a cooking simulation game......at that point you might as well be cooking a real meal....at least you get a reward out of it.