Official XBOX 360 Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by TeMpEsT, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Everybody I know that's played it has said it isn't that amazing and isn't cut out to what they say it is.

2. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

I actually saw it in action at EB Games and Gamestop and it looked freakin' amazing.

3. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Shut up, you're Canadian. :lol:

4. Aaron

I suppose the magnetic field from the North Pole affects our displays. We can't help that.

Haha.

5. Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I played the Call of Duty 2 demo today at Wal-Mart™ on that new box thing, and it was pretty good. Granted, I'm not the biggest video game fan, but it wasn't too bad. Of course, I wasn't completely impressed or blown away or anything, but maybe that's just because I didn't pay much attention. Or it might've been the game. Whatever.

If I had a large excessive expendable amount of money, I'd probably buy it.

6. Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

people are saying the PS3 is going to hit big, so im saving my money on that. the 360 looks pretty good, and it has its moments, but all in all i think it wont be as good.

7. heshboy

heshboy Well-Known Member

X360 FTW!!

8. Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Saw it at work today (I work at a FutureShop, some kind of Best Buy (and owned by BB) for those who don't know) and wow, the graphics are amazing. I'll try to play a bit tomorrow during my lunch break.

9. Jakks

Jakks Point 0

So who actually got one of these bad boys today?

Ive gotta wait till 2nd Dec :(

10. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The 360 didn't impress me much. Consoles have hit a point where the graphics can't possibly get any better. The animation is about as lifelike as you can get. We're no longer going to see the same improvements we saw between the SNES and the N64, from here on out, it's minor graphics improvements. I think the biggest thing the future consoles will have is support for larger disc formats (like blu-ray) so games can hold more levels and music and other goodies like media center capabilities.

11. Will

I'm probably going to either wait until the price of the console drops down to a reasonable price before I buy it. Even the $299 that they're asking for the stripped-down version of the console is way too much, especially since you're getting nothing but the Xbox and a controller.

I'll probably wait even longer and just buy it when Halo 3 comes out.

12. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Technically, that's not true. Although some argue that a PC is not a gaming console, for the sake of argument, I'm going to use it as an example. I've been watching the next generation console battles and I have to say I do agree with you that both the 360 and PS3 are not impressing me much. Anyways, there is a small team (I can't remember their name) who is working on a fantasy first-person shooter for the PC that has the most precise graphics engine(s) I have ever seen. See, with the PS3 and 360, they still have a lot to catch up on when versus a computer game because technically computers are much more powerful than consoles. This team has created engines which give each strand of hair, each rock pebble and particle it's own physic engine and works towards the environment. The next generation consoles do this, but they use a "grouping" technique. If you look at hair in real-time on the next gen consoles, even though it's "realistic," it doesn't "flow" as real as it could, and it doesn't flow are great as it can on a PC. But at the same time, this isn't a console's fault. Considering the load time and probable drop in frame rate are always a concerning element. However this is proof that there is room to grow in the graphics department.

So it'd be wrong to assume this is the end of the console battles in terms of graphics. I know this is an Xbox thread, but I just have to say (despite having a love for Xbox), I am disappointed that the graphics between the Xbox and the 360 are not that large of a leap (as the example of SNES to N64). This is primarily because Microsoft came in so late in the game, so I do give them the benefit of the doubt. But I compare the two, because from the gameplay I've seen (note: GAMEPLAY not CUTSCENES), it's not too different from the Xbox. In general, next gen consoles may have improved on movement and gameplay engines, but graphically, they can still expand. Even in CGI in movies, you can tell when something is digitally done because there's this "plastic" effect when light bounces off of the object. Slowly technology is fixing that, so this is definitely not the end for the consoles.

I do agree, though. The consoles nowadays are really shooting for a new generation of the computer with the different capabilities, but I don't necessarily think this is a bright step.

But more on the subject of the Xbox 360, I'm not going to buy one for awhile. Considering the cost of these consoles and almost nothing promising in terms of release titles, I am in no way anticipating any of the next generation consoles. In other words, until one of these companies show me good reason to buy their consoles (for the games, not the add-ons), I'm not buying any. They cost way too much to just collect dust with very few promising titles. I'm a true gamer so I expect to game on my game consoles, not to record Family Guy while I play Halo. :lol:

13. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

OK, maybe there's room to grow in the near future, but eventually, I'd say in the next 10 years or so, consoles will hit their peak when the graphics are as realistic as animation can possibly be. Who knows though, maybe I'm completley wrong on this. But it just seems logical, that eventually, there won't be any room to grow graphics-wise.

I hope ATI and NVidia have backup plans for when that happens

14. LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

the best time will be when graphics become not as important as gameplay. Longer storylines, better AI, bigger maps and wider features.

15. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Here's to that. I agree on that completely. :D

16. Aaron

Speaking on that, I believe it was Reggie from Nintendo of America that said he would like to see the next Nintendo system (not the Revolution, but the system after that) play on not a TV, but as so much as you are standing in the game. As in it takes over your living space.

I dunno, it's hard to explain.

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Exactly, soon the graphics will be impossible to improve and they'll have to work on immersion and such. Aka YOU are the main character.

18. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

You can link the 360 and the normal Xbox to each other. I thought I mentioned this already, but I cant find it :lol:

19. Will

Virtual reality? :lol:

20. Aaron

Will, you're too simple minded.

I like it.