Guitar vs. Bass

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Ambient, Dec 13, 2004.

Ambient

Ambient Member

Hey everyone, hows it going? I've played guitar four about five years now and starting to become interested in learning the bass and maybe switch to it. I was wondering if anyone on the message board whos played both could tell me which they enjoyed the most and continue to play. Thanks.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I've been playing guitar for about 8 months but I've always wanted to play bass.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Ive been playing guitar for about 5 years and I play a little bass.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I've played bass for 3 to 4 years and its certainly fun to play. But I cant really say which one is more fun because the sounds are so different.

With guitar you can get those crunching sounding guitars you always hear from brad, but with bass you get this low pitched rumble that sounds really great. However; most of the time from what I see, the bass in Linkin Park songs are often more complex than the guitar. Take Forgotten for example, really good bassline.

Best thing to do is, to find someone who has a bass, play the bass and guitar riffs from your favorite Linkin Park song, and decide which one you like better.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I play mainly bass, although I do play a bit of guitar, and personally I think it relies on what kind of role you want to take in the music, and what you like.

Although I do like lead parts, I like to be a subtle role. The bass is kinda in the background, but it is essential in most songs.

For those who want to be more up front and centre, and overall like to play a lead part (which I do too, but fill that role in playing other instruments like saxophone), guitar is more for you. I'm gonna learn a bit more on guitar personally, especially acoustic, because its a great instrument to just jam on or when you are playing with friends at certain times or in front of a campfire or whatever, you can't lug your bass and amp out ;)

Whatever your preference, but the bass is certainly easier to start on and learn. You can be a DECENT bassist after a year or so, but to really master the skill and master the art of it, you need to dedicate a lot of work to it, probably equal to the guitar. Its kinda like skiing and snowboarding, for that matter :D

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Bass can be quite cool to play. I currently play lead and bass in my band. I have lessons in lead guitar and my friend teaches me what i need to know about bass. It can be good to leanr but quite hard at times because of the frett gaps and the gap between the strings.

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

Ive been playing guitar for 2 year now, wouldnt mind trying bass

Ambient

Ambient Member

Allright, thanks guys. :)

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I've played acrostic guitar for a while, i've lost track of how long. But at the beginning of my junior high school, I switched to bass so I could play it in band. IMO, far better than guitar.
    Even thou most songs have a small bass line, there are some songs [primus - the antipop].

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Well, in your case, I'd say yes you should go foraward and learn how to play bass; it's easier when you are somewhat experimented with a classic-acoustic guitar. You'll just have to learn to play with your fingers and to slide (oh, and don't forget, basses are long instruments, and the strings are big).

Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Banned

i've been playing bass for about 7 years now and I find it extremely fun to play, bass players are more of a rarity so thats the reason i played bass instead of guitar.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well I play both, I play guitar more and I have for longer, but making the switch between the 2 isn't difficult, especially if you learned guitar first. The only things I ever had problems with were the way bass has a longer neck, more space between strings, and is heavier than a guitar. I don't have a bass amp either, so I end up playing bass through a guitar amp, which sounds really crappy. :lol: Guitar and bass are the instruments that sorta traverse the entire spectrum of musical sounds. Bass can sound like percussion, rhythm, and occasionally melody, guitar can be rhythm and melody, and also take on some string or harp-like tones. Bass playing is equally as varied as guitar, bass doesn't use palm-muting, harmonics, or bends much, but you can play fingerstyle bass, pick bass, slap bass, or two-hand tapping. Basses are more diverse as well, as you can find them in 4,5,6,8,10, and 12 string models, whereas guitars are pretty much either 6,7,or 12, and there's also fretless basses. So to me each is equally unique on its own.