www.PoliticalCompass.org

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Whimsicality, Nov 18, 2004.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

This is a very good site that's main point, as stated in the paragraph above, is to show that the traditional way of viewing human's political views as "left wing" or "right wing" is bullshit. There is an annonymus test to show how you fall on their scale, plus maps showing where various political leaders past and present fall, as well as a map specifically for the U.S. 2004 election.

The whole site is very clear and descriptive without being boring or too wordy. It doesn't take long to read, although it's set up nicely so you can just skip to what looks interesting.

So. Opinions, anyway? Did you take the test yourself?

I did, and the results were Economic Left/Right: -2.38;
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72. This put me slightly below and to the right of Ghandi and Nelson Mandela, and Ralph Nader, if you need a visual.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

I can't see the site, my browser sucks. But I agree, that left-right thing is really oversimplyfing, and to me, confusing. It varies from country to country to country too. Left and right in here are way much different and complex than in my country.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I remember this site now. I think it was posted before in an old SC chat, but I'm not too sure.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

Woah. This shows that I'm a flaming liberal.

Economic Left/Right: -9.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I agree with the initial statement.

Libertarian's for life!

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

(w00t)

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

At Least I'm not in the right wing. I hate my conservative friends, they piss me off :lol:

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Economic Left/Right: -2.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

I'm closest to Nelson Mandela, David Cobb, Ralph Nader, and Ghandi.

Whimsicality

You know what pisses me off? People who automatically assume that "conservative" means someone is an arrogant asshole. I'm no right-winger (although as the site points out, you can't accuratly label someone just "right wing" or "left wing" unless we're talking strictly ecomonicly) but this whole hatred bewteen liberals and conservatives is stupid.

The absolute nicest, sweetest person I know is very conservative. Yes, we disgree on certain (okay, quite a few) issues, but niether of us hold it against each other because we realize that just because someone's beliefs are different then yours doesn't make them a bad person.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08

Ghandi. :D

Chris.

You know what pisses me off? People who automatically assume that "conservative" means someone is an arrogant asshole. I'm no right-winger (although as the site points out, you can't accuratly label someone just "right wing" or "left wing" unless we're talking strictly ecomonicly) but this whole hatred bewteen liberals and conservatives is stupid.

The absolute nicest, sweetest person I know is very conservative. Yes, we disgree on certain (okay, quite a few) issues, but niether of us hold it against each other because we realize that just because someone's beliefs are different then yours doesn't make them a bad person. [/b][/quote]
    ...i didn't say all conservatives, MY FRIENDS that are conservative. I never made a generalization at all. I don't know where you got that from. :unsure:

Whimsicality

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you specificaly. I know it came out that way, but it wasn't supposed to--it wasn't what you said (you're right, you weren't generalizing), it was just that what you said made me think of what I hear constantly from a lot of people both around me and in the media. "Conservatives are evil," etc etc.

So I'm sorry for sounding vicious. Things just keep getting me fired up tonight :p

:hugz:

Chris.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you specificaly. I know it came out that way, but it wasn't supposed to--it wasn't what you said (you're right, you weren't generalizing), it was just that what you said made me think of what I hear constantly from a lot of people both around me and in the media. "Conservatives are evil," etc etc.

So I'm sorry for sounding vicious. Things just keep getting me fired up tonight :p

:hugz: [/b][/quote]
    Oh, its alright. :hugz:

It's flies both ways too, One of my friends is HIGHLY conservative and all he does is call people he doesn't like or agree with, Liberal Hacks and he constantly makes a lot of generalizations. So I know where you are coming from on that ;)

Whimsicality

:hugz: [/b][/quote]
    That it does. The reason that conservative-hating liberals pop into my mind before the reverse is simply because I've always lived in mostly liberal areas (I know VA voted Bush overall but my county voted Kerry).

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.85

:blink: I'm deep.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

But not quite as deep as me. Probably a good thing...I'm a little over the top sometimes.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I forgot what I got and don't feel like taking it again, but I was pretty close to the very bottom left corner. Not surprising though.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Economic Left/Right: -7.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

So yea, I'm a left-wing libertarian I guess! I'm suprised that with so many people that have scored as low as I have, that more people didn't support Ralph Nader in the election.....because the Democrats are actually quite in the right/centre of that spectrum.

[​IMG]

Whimsicality

I think that's because no one took him seriously as a canidate.

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Economic Left/Right: 1.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.26

Just like i thought i little bit right of center on economic issues and pretty center in being authortarian vs. liberatarian. Mark is probably wondering why i don't like Paul Martin.

I'm really surprised that they consider Ralph Nader to be that close to center, i tohught he would be in the far left.