Four Cabinet Members Resign

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Shade, Nov 15, 2004.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

"Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations will be announced Monday, sources told CNN.

The others will be Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, the sources said.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials told CNN that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

The officials said that Powell plans to keep working on a number of key issues, including North Korean nuclear talks, the Iraqi elections scheduled for January and Middle East peace process.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq."

More at www.cnn.com

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Alright, all we need now is Condi gone, Cheney to become incapacitated, and Bush to fall into a coma from chocking on salty treats and the world is back to normal. :lol: I hope they don't install extremely right-wing ministers, though. Eek.

I feel bad for Powell, having to bring all those lies to the UN. Maybe he was fed up with it and resigned in refusal to do it anymore.

linkinparkfan088

linkinparkfan088 Well-Known Member

so far 6 people have resigned, Abraham, Veneman, Paige, Ashcroft, Evans, and Powell, that's 6 out of 15 cabinet members, that really says something about our president

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

:lol: !

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Oh yah beyond a doubt. Powell defintely resigned becasue his reputation ahd been crushed under the Bush administration. Doubt though that this will actually change anything. Cause you know that he is just going to replace these people with hard-core right wing people.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Excuse me? Having to bring lies to the U.N? Powell didn't have to do anything.

Also, I could be wrong but weren't people saying he'd only stay for one term ages and ages ago?

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Also, I could be wrong but weren't people saying he'd only stay for one term ages and ages ago? [/b][/quote]
    Of course he was forced to bring "lies" to the Un council. I'm sure if he refused to do that, then he would be out of a job.

It's just likein Canadian polotics, when a bill is being passed and the party leader invokes party discipline, you better vote along oyur party lines or else you could see yourself getting disbanded from the party.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

Apparently Bush is shooting for Condi Rice. I'm sure you can all guess my opinion on this so I'll save my breath for the time being.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

of course he will! he will get anyone who loves him and kisses his ass into those positions. Rice is a joke to get into that position. she doesnt have what she needs. she doesnt like to be a leader even. the only reason she is getting that positions is 'cause she and Bush are friends. i think the whole thing is messed up. no one likes to work under Bush, but that doesnt mean that everyone should resign! i think that they should be there another 4 yrs until Bush gets out of office and someone less conservitive can get more open ppl in there.

Mark

Also, I could be wrong but weren't people saying he'd only stay for one term ages and ages ago? [/b][/quote]
    Gee. I remember Powell saying something about IRAQ HAVING NUCLEAR WEAPONS. That was a lie. He told it to 190 countries in the United Nations.

Sure he has to. If you didn't notice, the American government can do pretty much anything to anyone. They have a lot to threaten with, starting with his job, then who knows what else. Whether they'll follow through with their threats is one thing, but all you must do is threaten someone that such and such a thing will happen if something isn't done, and it's done. Refusing the president's demands can also be called Treason. Life in prison.

Whimsicality

Gee. I remember Powell saying something about IRAQ HAVING NUCLEAR WEAPONS. That was a lie. He told it to 190 countries in the United Nations.

Sure he has to. If you didn't notice, the American government can do pretty much anything to anyone. They have a lot to threaten with, starting with his job, then who knows what else. Whether they'll follow through with their threats is one thing, but all you must do is threaten someone that such and such a thing will happen if something isn't done, and it's done. Refusing the president's demands can also be called Treason. Life in prison. [/b][/quote]
    But the point is, all Powell had to do was speak out to a newspaper or any other form of big media (and as it is Colin Powell, they sure as hell would listen) and the administration would be ruined. Colin Powell is a well liked and respected figure, the Bush administration is not. Yes, they could kick him out, but beyond that what? And even kicking him out would send the media into a frenzy. Injuring someone close to him?

I am aware that Powell told the U.N. Iraq had WMDs. Either there was enough evidence for him to believe it himself (the CIA and FBI obviously aren't perfect) or he knew it was sketchy and knew he was lying.

Mark

But the point is, all Powell had to do was speak out to a newspaper or any other form of big media (and as it is Colin Powell, they sure as hell would listen) and the administration would be ruined. Colin Powell is a well liked and respected figure, the Bush administration is not. Yes, they could kick him out, but beyond that what? And even kicking him out would send the media into a frenzy. Injuring someone close to him?

I am aware that Powell told the U.N. Iraq had WMDs. Either there was enough evidence for him to believe it himself (the CIA and FBI obviously aren't perfect) or he knew it was sketchy and knew he was lying. [/b][/quote]
    I hardly doubt the adminstration would be ruined. As the majority of Americans have shown, you tend to still like the men who lie, deceive, and destroy the lives of innocent civilians, all the whole screwing over your most important and overwhelmingly huge demographic, the middle to lower class. They'd let this slide.

Threats can accomplish anything. Powell has a family, a reputation, and a salary to hold on to. If he did the things you said, he'd be in a bad predicament. Getting fired hurts his reputation, and sinks his cushy salary. Remember, he's the first african american male secretary of state. No man who's a role-model for his demographic would want to leave looking bad.

So he leaks the story. He's painted as unpatriotic and a backstabber back in the US. His life is most likely made a living hell. It's the fear that pursues people, and the threats accomplish this fear. All the US government needs to do is look menacing and he's in their back pocket. Hell, they've shown they can pre-emptive strike without evidence, so who knows what they're capable of doing to Powell.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I am aware that Powell told the U.N. Iraq had WMDs. Either there was enough evidence for him to believe it himself (the CIA and FBI obviously aren't perfect) or he knew it was sketchy and knew he was lying. [/b][/quote]
    Come on, let's be real here. It's the United State's government. My Geometry teacher (who I talk politics with out of school) knows an ex-Senator (or something) of Ohio who spoke out against the system and got completely set up for a crime, and is now serving 5-10 years. That's only on the state level, imagine what they'd do to Powell. I understand your reasoning, and I'd like to think that the media would have a frenzy over it too, but our mainstream media has never ceased to amaze me. If the President told you he had commited a crime, how would you know different?

I'm not sure how, but I'm sure the government would find a way to slip out of it. Furthermore, I respect Powell as a diplomat, and I share Mark's sentiments as to his unfair exploitation. Thanks to Bush and his administration, his reputation amongst other nations is belittled.

Whimsicality

Come on, let's be real here. It's the United State's government. My Geometry teacher (who I talk politics with out of school) knows an ex-Senator (or something) of Ohio who spoke out against the system and got completely set up for a crime, and is now serving 5-10 years. That's only on the state level, imagine what they'd do to Powell. I understand your reasoning, and I'd like to think that the media would have a frenzy over it too, but our mainstream media has never ceased to amaze me. If the President told you he had commited a crime, how would you know different?

I'm not sure how, but I'm sure the government would find a way to slip out of it. Furthermore, I respect Powell as a diplomat, and I share Mark's sentiments as to his unfair exploitation. Thanks to Bush and his administration, his reputation amongst other nations is belittled. [/b][/quote]
    Believe what you will (and Link, you know by now that I greatly respect your opinion), but I honestly think that the United States government is too big, sloppy and beauracratic to house a conspiracy against someone as well liked as Powell.

I don't know anything about this senator, so I really can't comment, but if the administration were willing to blackmail people that severly, what about everyone else who's spoken out against them?

Mark

Believe what you will (and Link, you know by now that I greatly respect your opinion), but I honestly think that the United States government is too big, sloppy and beauracratic to house a conspiracy against someone as well liked as Powell.

I don't know anything about this senator, so I really can't comment, but if the administration were willing to blackmail people that severly, what about everyone else who's spoken out against them? [/b][/quote]
    Obviously they can't control the public's opinions. But they can control the actions of their party members. When's the last time you heard a Republican speak out against Bush? And if it's happened, chances are that person didn't stick around long.

Chances are these four people either resigned because they no longer agreed with Bush's policies and silently did it, or they caused a ruckus from within and were forced out with a cover story of their resignations.