Teach Me!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Mark, Jun 3, 2004.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yeah, anyone feel like telling my how to read guitar tabs? You know, the internet version of tabs nowadays, for example;

e---------------------------------------------------------
    g---------------------------------------------------------
    b---------------------------------------------------------
    d--3--3--3-3-3-3--5--5--5-5-5-5--5--5--5-5-5-5--6--6--6-6-
    a--3--3--3-3-3-3--3--3--3-3-3-3--6--6--6-6-6-6--4--4--4-4-
    e--1--1--1-1-1-1--4--4--4-4-4-4--4--4--4-4-4-4--4--4--4-4-
    (Adema - Promises)

I've tried tutorials but it's often confusing, the way they word it. For example, starting from the thinnest string and progressing to the thicker strings, what note is each string? It's a 6-string acoustic. I know that each number on the line above means the fret it should be played on, but is each "-" a rest? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, guitar newb.

Edit - And does anyone have any song suggestions for a beginner? Preferably from, you know, a current band in the rock business. It can be soft-rock for all I care.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

lol. I'm learning just like you.

Sorry I can't help :p

mp066

mp066 Well-Known Member

The "-"s just kinda give you an understanding of how long the chords are. You'll have to listen to the song to get all the timing right.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

e- thinnest string, highest note.
    g
    b
    d
    a
    e- thickest string, lowest note.

something like:

d--3--3--
    a--3--3--
    e--1--1--

means you push down on the Low E string on the 1st fret, and the second and third strings on the third fret (first dotted fret you see on the neck.) It shows the same thing twice because that means how much you strum those specific strings.

Hope that helped at least a little.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Warning: My explanation is rather complex and I highly suggest that you practice using the information that Nate told you, and then read my explanation once you get a better understanding on how to read tabs and play your guitar.

Let me see if I can explain this correctly since I have a bass guitar. Although its different from a normal one, I believe the concepts of playing are still generally the same.

Each lettered line in a tab represents a string on your guitar. Since there are 6 lines in this tab it suggests that you MUST have a six string guitar to properly and successfully play this tab. If you look to the left of the lines you will notice a letter. The letter suggests what to tune that corresponding string to and if you wish to play the tab correctly you will have to make sure you have all strings tuned to the correct tuning.

However, this is where it starts to get a bit confusing. You see, the bottom line in this;

e---------------------------------------------------------
    g---------------------------------------------------------
    b---------------------------------------------------------
    d--3--3--3-3-3-3--5--5--5-5-5-5--5--5--5-5-5-5--6--6--6-6-
    a--3--3--3-3-3-3--3--3--3-3-3-3--6--6--6-6-6-6--4--4--4-4-
    e--1--1--1-1-1-1--4--4--4-4-4-4--4--4--4-4-4-4--4--4--4-4-

is actually the top string on your guitar, and each line higher up is the next string down when you hold your guitar the correct way.

The numbers correspond to which fret you must hold down and how many times you must repeat playing that single note. So for example if the tab suggests you must hold down the first fret on the E string and the 1 is repeated 6 times, that means that you must repeat playing that fret six times in that part of the song. However, the little dashes "--" represent how much of a break you must take between playing each note. I find it easy to tap my foot in respect to the number of measures listed on the tab before I play a note again as doing this really helps to build up a rhythm when your playing the guitar.

So for example if it said on the bottom E string:

e 1--1--3

That would mean I'd have to play the first fret on the E string, count two measures, play the first fret again, count two more measures and finally play the 3rd fret on the e string to successfully play that part of the tab.

I think my explanation was really screwed as I'm tired and ready to go to bed, but I hope whatever I did on here will successfully explain how to play guitar for you when reading tabs. If not you can just ask nate as for me it's a lot easier to explain how when I'm demonstrating in person.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

My explanation: newbified.

Dereks explanation: Intermediate.

:lol:

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Ah ... so that's how you read guitar tabs. I was never sure about my way of reading it. :lol:

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Something that neither Nate nor Derek said.
    If a line in the tab doesnt have any numbers on it that means that string doesnt get played.
    0 means you play the open string.
    if the notes are about each other directly that means you play it as a chord (play all the notes together)

As Derek said the letters on the left side is the tuning of that string. Get a tuner to tune the strings properly.
    Or if you have your 6th string (thickest) tuned correctly, press down the 5th fret (2nd dot) and then play the 5th string (one below) open. If you get a wave turn the tuning peg of the open string till you reduce the wave to a near or complete stop.
    Another way is enharmonic tuning but i wont explain it to you because im too lazy to and the way I just explained is easier.

If you need any other help go ahead and PM me or post here and ill try to help you out..

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

OK first things first.
    Easy bands to play: Linkin Park and Blink182 are good for beginners.

Like Derek said the "-" SHOULD, but not always, be taken as a beat. So one "-" would be one beat. But that's not always the case. Some tabbers just try to space them for timing, I can't quite explain it, but they don't use the "-" for beats, they just guestimate.

Like Nate and Derek said usually tuning will be high-to-low tuning which means the tuning would be something like this
    e|
    B|
    G|
    D|
    A|
    E|
    But on some rare occasions it will go the other way.

Now, I believe the reason for the top "e" to be small is because it's flat, but I'm not positive since I don't pay attention, I just tune to eadgbe.
    Also, realize that those letters won't always be the same. For instance, if you was to play Linkin Park it would be:
    e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    D
    That would be Drop-D tuning, which means that you drop the "E" half a fret, or half a note.
    There are others, but I don't want to go through them, and there could be a thousand different ways to tune a guitar, I'm just giving you an example. To tune a guitar, since your just starting out, I suggest a guitar tuner.

Next, each fret represents a note. All the notes have a sharp EXCEPT E and B. So for example, pretend this is your guitar neck: (There are usually 22-24 frets on a guitar, I'm just putting to 12, once you get to 12 you start the notes over again from where it started at the open string)
    e| (Same as the other E)
    B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B
    G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G
    D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D
    A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A
    E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E (and then you start over again)

Try to remember the notes, and where they are, it just makes playing easier, and you can come up with stuff easier.

Also, don't favor fingers. (For your neck hand atleast) Don't just slide your pointer finger up and down the neck, alternate fingers. That's bad.

Once you start playing some songs pretty good, move up to System Of A Down, they aren't too hard to play. And then after System try Mudvayne or Slipknot, and then Tool, and then...petrucci...

Try a site like MXTABS.net, they have a few helpful threads. And they have a lot of tabs. Hopefully I helped, and if you have any other questions I could most likely answer them.

EDIT: You asked for guitar songs, not bands. Well A Place For My Head's intro is really fun to play, but then the verses are just power chords and it gets boring. Still its fun, One Step Closer is fun to...hmm...I can't think of any fun songs that are easy besides Linkin Park...I don't know if Disturbed is hard, I don't think they are. Try Mistress and Bound, those are my favorites to play. But they may be a little advanced.

EDIT: Some good finger excercises are used with scales. You get the "do re me fa so la te do" sound out of them.

I only koow a couple, but I'm not familiar enough to post them and fvck you up, so I would google it. I THINK, but don't quote me, that this is the Ionian Scale...
    e:---------------------
    B:----------------------
    G:---------------------
    D:----------------5-7-
    A:--------3-5-7-------
    E:3-5-7---------------

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Was that the expert explanation? :lol:

That's why i'm gonna get a bass: 4 strings means less lines to read.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

I've played bass for 4 years and guitar for 3, so I guess you can consider it the semi-expert explanation. :whistle:

Basses come in more than 4 strings, I want a 6 string, but that means money, which means I gotta stop being lazy, which means no.

Mark

Alright, thanks for the explanations, guys!

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Main reason i switched to bass :p

Here's a good exercise for your fingers.

G|-----3---4---1---2
    D|--1----2---3---4-
    A|------------
    G|------------
    That is called the Spider. Its a great exercise for your fingers. The faster, the tricker.

NOTE: the little tab up there is bass, but its usable for guitar too. The numbers are what fingers you use and the -'s are just to space out the notes, not beats.

Yes, thats very bad. Once you get the habit of using one finger, better hope you can get rid of it.

If you're buying a tuner, i strongly suggest you get one that has a built in..uhh...d'arvit...i forgot the name for it....it like clicks each beat..

Mark

metronome?

and my guitar was already standard tuned when I got it.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

bingo *hands $20* oblivious :p

even thou it was standard tuned when you got it doesnt mean you wont accidentally untune it.

Mark

I haven't touched the knobs. :lol:

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

sooner or later they will accidentally get turned.

Blaze

Blaze Ambient

yeah. just playing will loosen the strings a little bit each time..

and wow..i learned somting about tabs..and i thought i understood it

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Everytime you play your guitar the string will down tune just a tad bit. It will sound a little lower, you will have to tune back. Also, you won't be able to play lower sounding songs in EADGBE, it's to sharp of notes to play something like system, you might get away with playing LP in it, but it will still be a noticeable differance on the top string.