The Next "Great" Rock Band

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Apr 20, 2012.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'm starting to think Linkin Park came into the music industry at just the right time. Peer-to-peer file sharing hadn't completely destroyed the record and radio industries (although they were slowly eroding), and the band had just enough pop appeal to the masses of pop listeners at the turn of the decade. This allowed the band to build a groundswell of fans (20M copies of Hybrid Theory were sold, for example), which the band have been able to feed off of for the last decade. Being around at that time, this fanbase most certainly wasn't comprised exclusively of rock fans, I can tell you that.

I'm not sure if we have the conditions for another rock band to "make it" THAT big again. And I'm not sure the currently popular new rock bands of today will be able to achieve the sustained success that Linkin Park has, allowing them to become "great" or "generational" instead of 2-3 year wonders.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

TRUTH.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

This.

I also think it has to do with the way Linkin Park built the band into a brand. They made themselves accessible to the fans with Meet & Greets and the LPU. They rewarded fans through these services with rare items and re-releases. They connect with fans through contests and video chats. They actually operate individual twitters instead of having ghost writers at their management do it.

That's RARE to find. At least, IMO it is.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I think Arcade Fire is the band that Radiohead essentially passes the torch down to. Their albums, while they haven't "revolutionized" music the way some of Radiohead's did, have all had a huge artistic impact.

This comparison actually exploded in 2010 when a BBC reviewer said of The Suburbs "you could call it their OK Computer, but it's arguably better than that." Of course, he didn't mean The Suburbs was a better album than OK Computer, that would be comparing apples to oranges. what he meant was that the leap from Neon Bible (Arcade Fire's second album) to The Suburbs was a greater artistic leap than The Bends -> OK Computer.

I guess it all depends on how we're defining "great" in this thread. Linkin Park and Coldplay have had massive success, but I don't know that their music has had very much of an impact on the art. Quite frankly, Linkin Park seems to be late to the party on a lot of stuff (nu-metal in 2000, electronic in 2010).

I agree.

I bet there won't be another legendary Rock band OR a legendary vocalist for a very, very long time. Amazing singers and Rock music aren't commercially fit for society anymore. It's really sad unfortunately. I sometimes wonder how Adele became so popular. Then again, she's no whitney Houston.

soun'wave

soun'wave can't shake the shock

I always hope The XX will find some worldwide success one day, the sparse production on their stuff is so good

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Linkin Park was one of the boggest rock bands of the past decade.

Without them, we wouldn't have rock on radio or TV. We wouldn't have pop listeners listening to rock such as LP. They made rock cool and popular again.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

everything, they are so overrated

Anyways, they aren't really too big but The XX and MGMT are dope bands that became somewhat popular of the last couple years and have put out good music.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    shinformant

shinformant Banned

The Gaslight Anthem are more or less already a great rock band, and now that they're on a bigger label and being produced by Brendan O'Brien I think they're poised to develop a profile to match.

Alter Bridge, Halestorm or Taking Dawn.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

Lolwhat? I think you're talking about Nirvana there.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Limp Bizkit :kappa: (I like them though! ahah)

Seriously, as it was already said earlier in the thread, Thrice would deserve 1000x more success. Their music is freaking great.

There's also a quite new band called "The Joy Formidable", their song "Whirring" was one of Mike's favorite songs of 2011, but I can't imagine them becoming really big.

If Arcade Fire keeps releasing albums as good as "The Suburbs", they could become the next big thing IMO.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I think he's talking about the last decade.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I wish Halestorm would make it big.

op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

Um no.

Agreed on the last past especially. Linkin Park have had massive success, but I really don't see many bands coming out that actually take much if any influence from them, probably because their sound wasn't THAT interesting or innovative. I know Radiohead aren't that "ground breaking" (too many people make them out to be, there sort of just introducing less known musical ideas/styles and techniques to the masses) but they are certainly more interesting then LP (for me anyway). I mean, from Radiohead, you have bands like Muse and Coldplay (lets face it, you can definetely hear influences from Radiohead in their earlier music) and heaps of other musicians saying that Radiohead have influenced their work one way or another. But LP? Not much really. Yes, there is the "they inspired me to pick up an instrument/write music etc" but not the way Radiohead has influenced generations of newer bands as well as bands that came before them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    Shark Attack

Shark Attack Well-Known Member

While not "new", Kasabian are heading there, as for the next great Metal band, that would be Machinehead, years and years of toiling away with little reward has finally paid off, and they look set to be huge...

Linkin Park are fairly hated worldwide though, as are Coldplay, so for all they do bring to the table, there will always be haters...

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate. :potato:

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Hating Coldplay is like the "cool", "hipster" thing to do for many of the ignorant music listeners.

They really miss out on hearing some beautiful pieces of music, don't they? ;)

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I think Silversun Pickups should be much more appreciated than they are.