68 year old woman bullied by kids

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Nish, Jun 23, 2012.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Exactly, and most of these kids probably aren't all that bad, but they haven't learned how to deal with peer pressure and situations when your character determines how you will act. At any rate, every one of the kids should be punished for acting the way they did so that they could learn from this. When kids are that age, it's usually two or three kids that start something and others join in because they're still trying to figure out who they are and what they stand for.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

the kids should be put in jail or something for being cunts. Also don't say our generation is worse. There was people like this since.... Forever

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Jail? Are you serious? Jail should be for violent criminals, not assholes.

What should have happened is she should have talked to each of their parents about it and let them discipline their child however they want. Instead, these dumbass kids posted the video online and fucked themselves in the ass. They're going to be owned for months to come by the online world.

And what is happening with all that money? I hope all but $5,000 is going to charity, or else I'd take a lot more abuse than she received for half a million dollars.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

It's not only because she was abused. She is poor.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Thank you. People need to stop acting like this generation is the first to be filled with disrespectful punks. Just because it couldn't go viral in decades past doesn't mean it didn't happen.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

People used to be "shut off" from the world in the old days, so to speak. They only heard about stuff through word of mouth or from the news in the paper and on TV. It was like this even up till about 15 years ago. These days, every little thing you want to find out about in the entire world (or even stuff you don't), is right at your fingertips. The reason people didn't think civilization was as shitty in the past is simply because they didn't have access to this information, not because people were actually less shitty back then.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

So apparently this women has been given nearly $600,000 in donations for this? If there's anything wrong with this generation, it's thinking that being called names deserves donations, let alone 600K. How the fuck is that fare? There are kids bullied to the point of self-harm and, in even more extreme cases, suicide. What makes this women so special?

I think that's far more sickening than being harrassed by a bunch of immature little pricks. A 68 year old should have enough life experience to deal with it. I'm not condoning their actions but I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

The way these young kids acted is absolutely ashaming. It's embarrassing to watch their behavior. But I don't like how the media is dealing with this case and how it's presented to the public. I mean I don't like such (viral) instrumentalizations in general. This is probably no single case.

But such campaigns could easily lead to political instrumentalizaion, for example demands for stricter and more conservative child raising and education and harder punishment for juvenile misconducts. While I absolutely don't approve such poorly childish behavior, I'm very skeptical regarding the aspect in which manner some parts of the public deal with such cases.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

You cannot generalize a whole fucking generation like that. I know several people who are just as polite and nice as me.

......okay, that's just stupid.

Definitely.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

I definitely don't think that this case is unique, it happens to someone around the world every day. The idea behind spreading word of this is to set an example for bullies in the future that even though they may think what they're doing is cool and makes then laugh, they will ultimately be hated for it for months or years to come. Jail is too drastic a punishment considering they're still children, but they need to know they can't get away with it.

Also, the lady never asked for any money, if you read the article you can see it started off as a pledge for $5000 so she could take a break from her work, but people ended up donating $550k. She can do whatever she wants with the money, but judging by how she's taken the high road in everything so far, I wouldn't be surprised if she does end up donating some to charity. But I just don't think it's fair to pressure her to do so just because she's not the only victim of this kind of thing

I'm saying this in general. of COURSE there are kids who are intelligent and well-behaved! They exist in every generation. But the worse kids are progressively becoming worse and worse. We didn't have kids stuffing alcohol-soaked tampons into their rectums even 10 years ago.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Because now she doesn't have to barely scrounge for a living (at less than $15,000 a year, I believe it says) being treated like subhuman garbage and can retire with modest comfort.

There's "Maybe if people could donate to genuine, important causes, maybe we could all get a lot of really good things done", and then there's the whole "Why i'm outraged that people so stupidly fling money at shit like this, as though it fixes anything!". I don't really why understand you and people like you really care where people want to put their disposable income.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Pfffffffft. People in general have always been like that. You are either looking for too precise of examples or you haven't heard what your generations previous have done. You just can't tell because you only grew up once.

It goes far back. In the bible there are kids who mocked a guy until he prayed for bears to show up and tear apart all of the children.

I've done my research thank you very much. And this is my final opinion: the better kids keep getting better and the worse kids keep getting worse. There's no real middle ground anymore.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Well without hard data I don't buy anything. And crumminess of generations can be subjective, and therefore doesn't have hard data.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Was there ever a middle ground? I'm struggling to think of examples, of people I knew at least, who would fall in the middle ground between good kids and bad kids. I knew of a couple of people who would pick on some kids, and stick up for others. I wouldn't call that a middle ground, that's called being good sometimes and bad other times. There's no middle ground for being a good or a bad person; the closest you can get is a bad person who feels guilty about what they've done or a good person who acts selfishly.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Poor woman. :( To be bullied and to be brought to tears like that, she should have laid charges on them.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

These kids should have the holy shit kicked out of them for this. I fucking hate humanity. I really do.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

We're only one nuclear bomb away.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I read these kids are in 7th grade, and I'm in 8th grade. So, they are around my age. Stuff like this makes me ashamed of my own generation. In school, or in practices, kids are always mocking one another or saying some bad stuff about the the coach/teacher, but nothing they can hear. I guess I got used to that, and I considered it normal... But this, saying stuff like this to an elderly woman right in her face is just... passing the limit... I already know that half of my generation will end up as a bunch of shitheads.