What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The Road 7/10

What was with the cameos of celebrities throughout this movie? I don't think this was the post-apocalyptic movie I have seen, but it had its good moments. Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn from LOTR) plays a father to a ten year old (I think) who is struggling to keep them both alive through a world of cannibalism and distrust.

The Intepreter - 9/10

For a Nicole Kidman/Sean Penn movie I quite liked it. Dwelled on the African "Is this ethnic cleansing or is this a form of fighting terrorism?" issue that African countries are just so well known for nowadays.

2. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Longest Yard - 6.9/10 it was great for a lot of laughs, but that is pretty much it to be honest.

3. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Cars 2

Not even going to rate it. Shame on Pixar.

4. jedibeaner

jedibeaner Well-Known Member

Green Lantern. It was alright, but my date liked it. :)

5. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I saw Cars 2. My son enjoyed it. I then saw Kick-ass later. That movie was ca-razy.

If you haven't seen it yet, I challenge you to watch "Airheads" from 1994 with Brenden Fraser, Steve Buscemi and Adam Sandler. One of my childhood faves. :awesome:

6. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The Prestige - Just got the DVD, been meaning to get it for ages. Fantastic film. The scene where Borden realises Lord Caldwell is actually Angeir is great. Also; David Bowie.

Grosse Pointe Blank - John (& Joan) Cusack. Quite funny, definitely worth a watch.

Up next, either Dumb & Dumber, Inglorious Basterds or The Fountain. Haven't decided yet.

7. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

I saw a screening of, IMO, the best movie of the year: Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Don't believe the hate, come into it with an open heart and an open mind and you will NOT be disappointed. Plus the story and action are visibly there this time and "Iridescent" actually fits so well! :)

8. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Why shouldn't we believe the hate? It's a Michael Bay movie.

9. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Saw Transformers.....definitely better than the second one, I'll say. And Iridescent actually does fit very nicely with the tone of the movie.

Don't go see it in 3D, though. Not worth the extra money.

10. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - 3.5/5
    You can't go wrong with a Quentin Tarantino screenplay. Great little genre blending film that takes influences from action, comedy and horror. I laughed all the way through. Got some great gore and 90's special effects, reminiscent of The Thing.

11. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Joshasa gave his opinion. Now here's mine: (in invisible text some *spoilers* are included)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon: 6/10

Since this is a Linkin Park forum, I'll start by revealing where Iridescent was played for those who don't want to go. Hilariously enough, the REMIX WASNT USED AT ALL. The intro piano part was used repeatedly in a lot of places and Mike's first verse was played in the middle of the movie after the decepticons destroyed Chicago. I personally thought it fit just fine. And of course, the song was in the credits as well.

Movie Review:
    I'm not sure why, but I really liked the second movie. This one on the other hand was average at best. For those who went for staring at Megan Fox, fear not, because Rosie Huntington-Whiteley fills that roll perfectly. Hell, the first 30 seconds of her appearance is a nice camera shot of her ass. Predictably, her acting is horrendous. If you thought Megan Fox was bad, get ready to be cluster fucked. As for Shia, I've always been a fan of his character in the first two movies. Unfortunately, the departure of Fox seemed to affect him and he just wasn't the same. He and H-W had zero chemistry. Or maybe Shia is just bored of these movies.

As for the story, it was okay. The biggest problem with it is that it's too damn similar to the plot of the second movie (there's some lazer thingy that the autobots need to destroy before it does something bad to earth. Also, Megatron takes orders from some random new character). The last 30 minutes of this movie are laughably identical to the last 30 minutes of the second TF. Another problem was the length. 2 and a half hours was just too damn long. There was too much unnecessary build up at the beginning and the action dragged out at some points. Furthermore, the comedic relief wasn't nearly as good as it was in Bay's past movies.

But as usual, the special effects kick some serious ass. And the movie was still enjoyable despite it's flaws. However, if you didn't like the second Transformers movie, you will be wasting your money on this flick. But even if you liked the second one, don't expect this one to be better. At least I didn't think it was.

P.S. And OMG the part at the beginning with JFK was laughably bad. Hahahahahaha (you'll know it when you see it)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  12. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Transformers 3: 7/10

Saw a great review which perfectly describes this movie: 5-star action, 1-star script.

13. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Transformers: Dark of the moon-
    Awesome unless you are the type of person who is gonna bitch with anything that they put out. It was a good movie. I think most people that don't like it are the people that go into the theater already telling themselves they aren't going to like it, when they actually did

14. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

An extremely flawed thing to say there.

People who don't like to bitch about everything will just as likely hate the movie as much as those who do. And that's a stupid assumption that people like a movie but just tell themselves they don't. Learn to except the fact that some movies are shitty movies and Transformers may just as well be one.

15. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Source Code (2011) - 3.5/5
    The premise was interesting enough to keep me engaged. Although three quarter into the movie the main threat gets eliminated, after that it ventures out into some other place... that aspect of it kind of dampened the element of being engaged. I thought Jake Gyllanhall was good, and even though I hate Michelle Monaghan, she didn't bother me in this one. Overall the movie was a notch above the average sci-fi thrillers, but the movie could've been more than that. Still a great watch.

Super 8 (2011) - 2/5
    What an underwhelming watch this was. I was expecting a lot more from JJ Abrams. It's like he took the template of 80s children/sci-fi/fantasy film and wrote his story based on it. I liked the mystery elements but once that was over, the movie lost its magic. From there on in it was just a bland monster movie. There were elements, like the old footage of the creature etc, that they could've delved into more but it seems like all Abrams wanted to do is to anchor the movie to 80s nostalgia.

16. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I just saw TF: DOTM last night and I enjoyed it. I thought it brought what was expected from a TF movie. There was 3 things in the movie though that I thought could have been done better. They are invisible as to not spoil anything.

1. What happened to Sam's parents? Were we just supposed to forget about them and assumed they made it alright? 2. How did the autobots make it off the shuttle again? booster rockets? I never remembered seeing them disengage. 3. When the group of autobots were captured and facing execution after starscream was destroyed, how the hell were they captured? Do we assume that they got over run by decepticons?

I know Dumbledore said that the movie was too long, but I feel it could have been a little longer to fill in these holes. If there is an extended edition when it comes out on Bluray, I will not hesitate to get it. I feel like Bay had cut a little too much to make it at that 2.5 hr long movie. Same can be said about ROTF too. Overall, though, I did enjoy this movie. They did a great job again of retelling history with the flight to the moon and Chernobyl. I still think an extra 10-30 minutes more would have done nothing but finish the story off a little more. If you like transformers, explosions or chicks with British accents, I recommend this movie for you. I saw it in IMAX 3D and had a blasty blast.

*EDIT* I did get chills when the first verse of Iridescent played in the middle of the movie. It was amazing how well that song fit.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  17. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

There was a large, obvious intention to emphasize the super 8 cameras of the day :lol: I liked Super 8, a lot, because I didn't go in expecting something that would look as sci-fi as Star Trek, and I got the best out of it, but that's just me :shrug:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon on the other hand...:angry:

18. Benjamin

I couldn't agree more Agent O regarding Super 8. I couldn't have put it better myself.

And Hybrid, I like you and respect you, but saying TF3 should have been LONGER is downright silly. And now I have more to say to you in invisible text:

1. Who cares? Lol. A bigger problem was the lack of Megatron since he's THE bad guy in the movies. It's a damn shame that he had no roll in what is most likely the last movie in the franchise. I'm not sure what Bay was thinking there.
    2. I'm fairly certain Optimus explained how they survived the shuttle. I'm pretty sure they said that they weren't even on the shuttle to begin with. They hid in a secret location as the shuttle was being launched.
    3. The last thing we needed was another 10 minutes of action just to see the autobots get captured. I'm not sure why you think that's something we had to see. I mean, the autobots WERE way outnumbered. I think it's safe to say they just got captured due to lack of men.

19. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Me too, me too! Invisible cloak, on!

1. RIGHT? THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! WHERE THE FUCK IS MEGATRON? It's like no Joker in Batman or no Venom in Spider-Man. Wait, they basically didn't have Venom in Spider-Man, because 20 minutes at the end doesn't count, and that was only one of the many reasons that movie was shit.

2. They were hiding in one of the booster rockets that disengaged before Starscream fired on the shuttle. The plan was to never leave, and Sam hinted to Optimus that "no human would ever know", possibly passing onto him that Decepticons were listening in.

3. Fucking agreed. 2 hours and 37 minutes of mindless blowing shit up, with 2 minute romantic intervals woven in.

20. Benjamin

Ah, regarding point number 2, you're right MKH. That's what it was. I knew that I was being a little inaccurate. I wasn't paying full attention at that part :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.