Gene Simmons: Lashing out at Downloading

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Nick, Nov 16, 2007.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I could say so many things about him, but instead i'm going to say:

lol

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Tool Frontman Opinion:

I still don't agree with what's been said however Keenan put it in a much better way than Simmons for sure.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

You have to know that it's bullshit that downloading music doesn't harm sales.

Yes Simmons is an ass, yes the music industry corporations are jackasses and are ripping both the consumer and the artist off, but downloading is hurting sales, and probably shouldn't be happening.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

So Linkin Park is a boy band, oh no no no, Backstreet Boys is a Nu-Metal band, yes definately. By the way don't flame me because i do understand what he meant, i just thought it must be said.

Anyways he definately stated his argument a lot better then Simmons.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

surely MJK doesn't expect the kids to just go out and blindly buy an album based off one single they heard on FUSE or MTV or the radio. Downloading an album lets you get a taste and feel for the music. If you like it, move on from there.

I'm still with Reznor on this whole debacle.

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

Gene Simmons is an idiot, and after reading that, I can't help but laugh.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070212-8813.html

Luke

Are you kidding me? Harming sales? No fucking way. A fraction yes, but record companies still get billions and artists aren't about to fail because of 'illegal' downloading.

QFT.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

I don't really understand why he's bitching about not making money off music. He's already made millions off KISS action figures. :lol:

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I'm gonna have to go with Casey on this one. I'm all for the Reznor side.

Harlz

Yes they still get billions, but you can't deny that very few people still have extensive CD collections, as opposed to the older generations.

I offered to buy a mate a CD for his birthday for example, by his favourite band, and his immediate response was "I'll just download it man..."

Now multiply that by a few million other similar cases which must be out there, and then try and tell me it's not harming the record industry.

And of course artists aren't gonna fail 'cos of piracy, they've never made their money from CD sales anyway ;)

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Did you go to the link I gave you? According to that study, downloading affects less than 1% of album sales. I don't think it's harming the industry.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

You have to also remember the people who usually wouldn't buy a CD, but downloaded some tracks off it and fell in love with it. Multiply that by a few million.

Harlz

I understand where you're coming from, but studies such as that can't sway my opinion to tell the truth, when my personal experiences seem to show the opposite.

Not that I'm saying I'm sure I'm right, it just seems a little unbelievable to me.

@ esaul - Ok that's also a valid point.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

sounded like Rob's "A Brief History of Record Industry Suicide:..." by saying that the record companies dug themselves into this hole. but Rob's for downloading, and that's the difference :lol:

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I'm also for free downloading, even though it's technically against the law. Hence why I don't tell anyone about it until my statute of limitations is up. And, since my thirty days is up on my last download, I'll say that I finally got Minutes to Midnight through Limewire, and I love it. So much, in fact, that I'm gonna go out and buy it, so that LP loses no money from my selfishness. :lol:

Luke

Are you kidding me? I have over 250 CDs but I'm also a regular downloader (both free and itunes) simply because it's more convienient than going out to Virgin Megastore or some place like that and buying a CD for a ridiculous price. I saw a Killswitch Engage album in virgin the other day priced at £17.99 (the american equivelant of $36). Why would you wanna pay that much for a disc that could break or be scrathed when you can just download it off itunes for like more than half that price or if possible download it elsewhere for free.

CDs will never loose their place in the music industry. Rest assured.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

And, remember kids, Reznor said he doesn't to say it isn't wrong. He thinks it's wrong, too.

Luke

There's too much emphasis on this whole debate. Downloading wont stop unless someone actually executes Gene Simmons' idea of suing everyone who's ever downloaded music for free. Either that or close down the internet. Somehow I don't think either will ever be done so unfortunatly the debate can continue until the end of time, it will never be resolved though.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Problem is, you can't sue someone once the statute of limitations is up. You can't do anything at all.