Exclusive New Album Details: Chester Talks to Kerrang! Magazine | Full Interview

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

*Hulk smash!!!* it's good that they give us info that the album is going to be balanced with electronics and guitars... but i would like some release dates please:awesome:

2. Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

I remember someone of the band telling us the vocals would be agressive a couple of weeks ago.

3. Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

I'm excited about the songs being more up tempo but I don't know how I feel about "relationship" lyrics. Meh I'm still psyched!

4. Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

The new Linkin Park album will be amazing, as always. End of story.:rastamike:
    I personally think it will BE their best album/songs artistically.

Stuff that excite me for the new album:
    -Analog sound?
    -Experimental
    -Atmosphere sounds
    -Orchestra
    -Guitars
    -Hopeful songs?
    -ATS Electronic sounds
    -Agressive vocals
    -Dinosaur :dino:
    -And the fact that the members themselves feel perfectly happy and that they found the right sounds they feel fine with.

Still no idea what it will be like though, but something's just telling me it will be their best album. An album that wont be forgotten in the future.

Tip to everyone:
    Don't expect anything. :trollface:

5. OIOIOI

OIOIOI Banned

oi oi oi its your boy PFortyy wheres my new LP album?

6. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I love banning people from my phone :awesome:

7. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The phonehammer? phonebanner? BANPHONE?! BANANA PHONE

8. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

I'd say the first single drops... or better, will bleed into the sky on may the 32nd, which is a Tuensday.
    Jokes aside, second half of may is my bet, because they have some huge shows right thereafter. Half July is the album release date.
    Baby Jesus on fire told me that while I was eating my peanuts.

9. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Okay, I can't believe I need to type this on a Linkin Park fansite, AGAIN, but I will. I guess I'll just copy/paste from the last time I did it. Here's a lesson on what pop music is for all Linkin Park fans out there. I know a thing or two about musical theory and writing music. Let me explain something to you:

Hybrid Theory and Meteora were POP albums. And no, I do not mean "pop" as in "popular." I mean it was pop music.

What are some of the characteristics of a Katy Perry song? A beat you can nod your head to, simple relatable lyrics, catchy choruses, and a formulaic song structure and chord progression. It has to be short enough and catchy enough to attract the ADD attention of the masses when its played on pop radio, so that it can sell a bunch of copies and make a lot of money.

Let's think about Hybrid Theory and Meteora, shall we?

Fun music you can nod your head to (headbang to)? Check.
    Simple lyrics that anyone can find a way to relate to in one way or another? Check.
    Catchy choruses? SUPER check.
    Formulaic song structure? Triple check, every song is about 3 minutes long and every heavy bridge comes in at the 2 minute mark. Like clockwork.
    Easy chord progressions? Check.

"But OMG! Meteora is so hardcore because of teh screamz and teh rapz and teh guitar so kewl!"

Can I tell you a secret? All the screaming and the rapping and the cool distorted guitar is nothing but a red herring. Hybrid Theory is pop music for the teenager who is "too cool" for Britney Spears. There's a reason Serj Tankian described System of a Down's music as pop.

Pop music is not defined by how music SOUNDS. Soft =/= Pop The sound of pop music can be anything. Pop music is defined by how it's constructed. A Thousand Suns was the least pop of any of Linkin Park's albums, period. That is NOT an opinion, that is a musical FACT.

I'm not judging anybody for liking Meteora more than A Thousand Suns, it just means you prefer heavy pop music.

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Where in my post does it say that "selling out" is repeating the same thing over again?

edit: The band themselves said that Meteora was the result of label pressure, so how does being pressured to do something artistically not considered "selling out"? If it were something you really wanted to do, you wouldn't have to be pressured to do it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

@Xero21: Finally someone writes about that using brain instead of pride.

12. filthyjester

filthyjester New Member

tempo faster than cheetah??does it mean that mike's rapping again??
    bigger chorus??? hope there are no gang vocals,, iwant cchester scream....

13. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

And another great post.

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The band's second album can actually be looked at that way; "Hybrid Theory"'s style was successful and making an album like "Meteora", which mostly doesn't deviate heavily from that successful style, to follow that up could be interpreted as going for most lucrative option.

That's not entirely my opinion, though; I actually believe the band when they say they thought there was a bit more that could be done with that sound. I feel that, to some degree, "Meteora" was an effort to expand upon what was on "Hybrid Theory", musically and lyrically. Even though it is essentially "Hybrid Theory, Round Two", the band did try some new things.

It doesn't necessarily mean that, no. I certainly wouldn't doubt that Shinoda will put down a verse or two on the upcoming album, nonetheless. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  15. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Ironically I had a laugh with Todd last week over this very thing. People call A Thousand Suns selling out, and yet Hybrid Theory was the most mainstream/pop structured album of their career. If anything, after Meteora Linkin Park have become progressively less "pop" which is a good thing.

I don't mind if the next record has more of a pop-edge to it, I just don't want them go to back to fast food, quick bite songs with predictable song structures. After Mike spent so much time talking about how music today is like fast food, it'd be really regrettable if they go down that path with this next album. I don't think they will, and I believe people have taken the quotes ridiculously out of context, but I can understand why people would freak. Linkin Park are now being looked at as a creative force in rock music. A band defying the expectations put onto them by continuing to evolve. Last thing they need to do is take a step backwards.

Which I highly doubt is the case with album 5 considering it sounds "nothing like Hybrid Theory" according to Mike. Either way, we'll see.

16. hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ,other than 'in the end' and probably 'pushing me away' Hybrid theory was a straight up Nu metal record,thats why you see songs like one step closer and crawling somewhere in the 30-40 of the billboard mainstream rock chart,whereas the new stuff is always in the top 3.give it as rest guys you guys have had a record you wanted"the progressive rock" styled ATS,now is the time for the other group of fans to get the album they like(the one with guitars and full lenght songs)

17. Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

I thought Meteora was different from Hybrid Theory.. And i think i am the only one who does...?

What would the world be without Breaking The Habbit, and Faint.
    And i personally like Nobody's Listening.. 3 quite different tracks from HT! And maybe the only 3 tracks from Meteora wich where different come to think about it.

I just hope the new album has more bubbles to it, then i'm happy.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You completely missed the point that Xero21 made. ;"

19. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I mean this with total respect but how is Hybrid Theory not a pop record? Please read Xero21's definition of pop records and then listen to Hybrid Theory again. You can call it nu-metal, or whatever name you want to call it...it's a pop record. It's an album with radio friendly song structures (intro > verse > chorus > verse > bridge > outro), catchy choruses, perfect for radio song lengths, and glossy production. I.e. a pop record.

Not trying to be a jerk here (as I *do* respect your opinion) but Hybrid Theory was incredibly mainstream. Crawling and OSC are in the 30-40 because they're 10 year old songs. They were almost all top 10 singles when they first came out, and several of them were number 1's. The album sold 10 million copies, whereas ATS sold not even a 4th of that. If ATS was more pop/mainstream than HT, wouldn't the sales be the other way around? Almost none of the ATS singles were even top 5 singles. They didn't perform as well as HT's singles, despite being incredible songs. I love Hybrid Theory, but that album sold the way it did because it was a perfectly done pop-metal record. Plain and simple. It catered to a large audience, and that audience bought it in droves.

20. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

No...

No no no no no no...

Not even close.

Tell me how many times you hear The Catalyst on the radio and then get back to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.