March 2013 Monthly Mix-Up WINNER: LPU-12 Free-For-All

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Apr 6, 2013.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Last month we decided to let all hell break loose by allowing you to cut, splice, mash and tweak songs from the LPU 12 CD. It turns out the genre choice was a fantastic idea because the quality of March's submissions was AMAZING! On the surface we must congratulate all participants on the quality of their submissions, but deep within our souls we curse you silently for making the judging process so difficult. Without further ado, the winner of March 2013's Monthly Mix-Up is:

WINNER

m_macdonald: Asbestos/Given Up (Mash Up)

Click here to listen!

We had three entries which combined Given Up with its demo, Asbestos, but m_macdonald simply did it the best. With vocal manipulation, an added electronic loop, and multi-layering of the two tracks, m_macdonald did not just make a remix: he reinvented Given Up. Make sure you stick around for the climactic and chaotic outro!

RUNNERS UP

2nd: LizziCloverman: Somewhere I Belong (Clarity Remix)

Click here to listen!

Lizzi's Somewhere I Belong remix came in at a very close second. With a very creative industrial-esque backbeat comprised of Clarity, Papercut and New Divide, Lizzi managed to give Somewhere I Belong a fresh, atmospheric yet electronic twist. The bridge, complete with Krwlng strings, is a standout moment on the track.

3rd: minuteforce: Army of Flares

Click here to listen!

Intrigued by the title? We were! Army of Flares starts out as a fantastic instrumental comprised of Clarity, Debris, Program, and Burn It Down. Throw in the bridge vocals to Blackout and you literally get lost between the layers of this richly-produced track. Some remixes feel like two separate songs forced on top of one another, but this track truly feels like an original song. Great work!

4th: DJIntensity: Debris (When I'm Gone) - Eminem/Linkin Park

Click here to listen!

This fantastic mash-up from DJIntensity is what one would envision a Fort Minor/Eminem collaboration would sound like. On the surface, Debris and When I'm Gone feel like they would be an incongruent mix, but Eminem's rapid-fire verses are complimented very nicely by Mike's vocals in the chorus of Debris.

Honorable Mentions

Uncertain Sound: Linkin Park (Homecoming) vs. 30 Seconds To Mars (Closer To The Edge)

Click here to listen!

Zak: Multi-Genre LPxEDM Mash-Up

Click here to listen!

Once again we would like to thank ALL participants for their submissions. Even if you didn't place in March's contest, April's 90's Rock competition is another opportunity to strut your stuff!

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

minuteforce should of won

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Congrats to everyone!

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Lots of cool stuff here! Congrats to everyone!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

1st to 3rd were very close once the votes were tallied. They should all be proud.

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

Great stuff! The Asbestos/Given Up mashup is freakin' amazing!

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Yeaaaaaaah an honourable mention! Moving up in the ranks.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Well done to everyone! These were some quite fantastic remixes, almost a shame to number them at all.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Congrats to everyone! Every single one of the above remixes really were fantastic. Really great job this month!

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Mike, that mash-up is sick!

xEsaul

xEsaul Well-Known Member

I'd hate to vote for a single favorite. I enjoy all of them. Now I'm picturing what an actual mash up with Linkin Park and Eminem would sound like.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you guys - it's a great privilege to continue to be a part of the MMU community, and I'm delighted to have been picked as winner this month.

With that said, I do need to shout out my friend Minuteforce for perhaps my all-time favourite MMU entry - that Blackout vocal sample still gets me man!

Lizzi Lizzi Lizzi Lizzi! If memory serves me right, it's almost a year since your win in 'The Raid' contest which had that awesome bit with the My December/Papercut thingy? Another killer entry... the groove of the Papercut beat with the Krwling strings is, och, intense ;)

Congrats also to DJIntensity, Uncertain Sound and Zak. Another awesome month.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Wow, so many good entries this month! My favorite is Minuteforce, one of the best remixes I've heard from the MMU so far. I'll download them all.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

These are fantastic work! Personally most of these are leagues better than some of the "official" remixes out there. Theres so much more creativity in these than most remixes these days - just a boring old effected vocals over a generic dance/club beat. How is that a "remix"?

LizziCloverman

LizziCloverman The one that ruins any sausageparty

YAY!!! I didn't even expect to be second!!! Thank you guys so much :)

Yep that's me haha :) thank you so much! i was actually contemplating making a whole "the raid/papercut/my december" remix, cause it's my favorite part of the "the raid" mashup :) we'll see!

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Aw DO IT! That's one of the greatest MMU moments ever, I just wish there was more of it!

CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

By far, this has been the best Monthly Mix. Congrats to everyone!

Gab.Z

Gab.Z "There’s a place so dark you can’t see the end"

Congrats to everyone! ;] M_macdonald, your mash-up is awesome! ;)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Congratulations to m, first and foremost; you kick ass!

Thank-you, guys! :lol: I'm just glad I managed to get the thing done at all!

I also have to thank the rest of the community for all the lovely SoundCloud notifications over the last month. :)

The track title was generated using the best LPA-based focus group I could find. It took us hours. Thank-you to them.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Congrats to you all :)

m_macdonald's entry is probably one of my favorite out of all the MMU so far. Sick track!