Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor 2

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jeff, May 11, 2012.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

LP_Laser

LP_Laser Member

EOTS was a dopeass mixtape. Friend of the people was good also just the beat selection was different. Food and Liqour 2 is going to be a classic. Lupe the GOAT.

TheRadiance

TheRadiance Guardian

I thought Friend of the People was a great mixtape, but I love all the songs he sampled.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

Lupe Fiasco // ‘Around My Way (Freedom Ain’t Free) [the first single from FnL2]

[​IMG]

5/22/12 on iTunes

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

That is some sweet cover art. Can't wait.

JJ

I was thinking that too! :awesome:

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Woah sick ass cover. Can't wait.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

That cover is really amazing.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

[video=youtube;_aOjcm0zYUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOjcm0zYUs[/video]

here's the new single. I like.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

This pretty much outdoes LASERS in pretty much every way. Fucking awesome.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Pete Rock: "No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!"

Thoughts? Seems like Lupe/whoever produced it probably should have asked him first...

The song is pretty sick, not the best or worst hip hop single I've heard this year.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

The song has my hopes up for the album now. Way better than all of Lasers!

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Wow. This is good. And seems like there are jabs at religion, didn't expect that.

But I really hope F&L II isn't just a rehash of the first one and brings a lot of new shit to the table.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Awesome.

Agent

This song alone kills LASERS! Shit is amazing. My doubts about F&L 2 sounding like LASERS are almost gone now. And I don't care about Pete Rock bitching about it on Twitter (yeah thats where every celebrity goes to bitch these days)... everybody samples.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Just in case you don't know all of the facts: The beat is pretty much an exact recreation of T.R.O.Y., they sampled the original samples of the beat so they didn't have to go through Pete Rock and T.R.O.Y was written after the death of Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth's friend Troy. On the other side Pete Rock's entire career was based around sampling and he seems like one of those people who'd go on about the old days when you could sample without worrying about copyright, so possibly a bit hypocritical?

Also a bit weird that you called Pete Rock a celebrity, but that's a bit irrelevant.

Agent

^ Yeah I know all the backstory. I bet Lupe's producer got the sample cleared through the original artist (as they should) so contacting Pete Rock wasn't even relevant. I guess the only gripe Pete Rock can have is that the beat does sound like a copy of TROY. But I don't like how he went on a rant about nobody making "original music".... dude your whole career based on sampling. I think he took it a little too far.

And he is a celebrity... he's one of the more respected producers in hip-hop. I think he could've simply contacted Lupe's people behind the curtain instead of going on a twitter rant.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

J Dilla was also one of the most respected producers in hip hop history, I doubt anyone would call him a celebrity though. Dr. Dre and Kanye West are the only producers who'd be celebrities imo, and that's mostly for rapping as well, but this is all fairly subjective anyway. Lupe's people are Atlantic, I really doubt he'd have the power to pull a major record label rapper's first single, but yeah some of his rant was bullshit even if I think he has some excuse to be upset (the beat is pretty much exactly the same aside from the drums).

JJ

really liking this :)

Agent

Lupe debuted his new single ‘Around My Way (Freedom Ain’t Free)’ earlier today which samples Pete Rock & CL Smooth’s ‘T.R.O.Y.‘. But Pete Rock has taken offense to the use of the sample, airing Lupe and the producer out on Twitter. Lupe held a conference call today with Atlantic Records which was moderated by DJ Whoo Kid. He discussed the controversial sample (before Pete’s reaction), Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Part I and Part II, subliminal messages in his music, feelings on America and much more.

Lupe also revealed that Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Part I will have guests doing only hooks and the Part II of the album will release a little later. The tentative release date for the first is September 26th.

On the Pete Rock sample in “Freedom Ain’t Free”:
    “All the credit goes to my partner and manager Chill, he just felt like it was time to bring back a joint… Go back and take one of the iconic records of Hip Hop and put a new spin on it and put it back out there. I spit on it a couple times before, some mixtape stuff back in the day, Chill felt it needed a bigger look than that.”

Jay-Z and other features on the new album:
    “It’s Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Part I. Part I, which “Freedom Ain’t Free” is the single off of, is coming in the next few months. It really ain’t got no features on there. It got a few people on the hooks and stuff like that, but no other real features other than myself. But that’s part one. It’s a double album. We’re probably 80% finished with part 2, which is going to come out a little later. It’s not finalized. You don’t know who’s going to be on it… Part 1 is done and there ain’t gonna be any features on there, but part 2, it maybe somebody coming at the last inning to drop a verse. We’ll see.”

LOTS more here: http://www.rubyhornet.com/lupe-fiasco-speaks-on-new-album-american-culture-and-more/

Last edited: May 22, 2012