Does our generation really "suck"?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Money Maker Mike, May 8, 2012.

?

Does our generation really suck?

1. No we don't. We're the same as other previous generations.

33.8%
  2. In some areas, we've gotten particularly worse.

37.8%
  3. Yes. We suck real bad man.

17.6%
  4. MOOOOOO

10.8%
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

To answer your question: No.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

Every generation has it's pros and cons. But I agree with others saying that our generation is influenced by the way the parents raise them, and if you don't raise kids to be respectful, polite, considerate, and non prejudice (sorry if that's spelled wrong.) then they might not be the nicest people, but you have to be the change you want to see in the world.
    Even though you can only change your behaviour, people are influenced a ton by music, and our generations music is horrible.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I think you're just looking in the wrong places. I bet you're simplifying music down to the characteristics of a single genre.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

I know, there is some good music in this generation, There's a new band I like of girls my age and they make really good rock music, but when I turn on the TV I feel sick, because the worst stuff is listened to by everyone, I just don't like the popular music.

Vriska

I think that's an artifact of the simple fact that often popular music is popular because it hits the lowest common denominator of most people. This has always been the case. My dad complained about the music from his day, but I tend to disagree because I didn't have to sit through it being played all of the time. I complained about mine, and it seems to be getting worse. When actually it's just that I am older and more aware of how shitty things in general are. I've seen an excerpt of some book from the late 1800's that also hit the lowest common denominator, and it's just as trite as one would expect something today would be made.

Now this doesn't mean anything popular is bleh, because sometimes people really will gravitate to something just really good . It's just that a lot of things that are popular are just because they offend the least amount of people.

David Vereker

David Vereker Banned

Yes we do. People are addicted to Facebook. Music has become terrible. Art isn't appreciated as much. 3D has taken over the movie industry. COD has taken over the gaming industry. I can go on but they're are good things too.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Can't blame the parents of this generations of kids really.
    If you haven't noticed, it's even cool and hip to parents to get divorced. Kids being forced to live at foster parents. the precentage of kids leaving their parents here in norway is really high today. Why leave the parents? Because what they learn thru tv, by other trouble kids and so on. And learned that it's even cooler now to go rebel against them.
    So you can't really say ''Idiots raised todays generation of kids'' when it's totally clear that we are being raised by the society.

Tho this does not include everyone in the world, but a huge amount..

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

Everyone tries to say this generation is bad because kids are becoming anti-social, etc. But, think about it, there have been anti-social kids long before videogames and tv. There were kids that would rather stay inside and read. I don't think this generation sucks, it's just more advanced.

There are more antisocial kids than before.

And those antisocial kids liked to read? Well, reading is a great way to gain knowlege. Even if these kids were antisocial before, at least they were still engaging in helpful things.

Nowadays, many of the antisocial kids stay inside to play videogames, put their reality into cyberspace, and become sensitive maniacs. Trust me, I was one of those kids who were addicted to facebook and online peers. The antisocial kids now have a haven to put their minds in. It's terrible, really. These things really affect the brain negatively. The kids keep getting into deeper and deeper holes.

But then again, there are kids reaching potentials they have never experienced before. So I don't think the overall generation is getting worse; it's simply that the bad/troubled kids are becoming worse and worse.

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, but then again, technology isn't always what makes troubled or bad kids worse. I have many friends from before I moved who play videogames all the time, and they all used to be socially awkward and shy. They all became great friends because they had an interest in something and that's actually how they became more social. I think it's a two-way street really. It may hurt some people, but it also helps people sometimes.

Vriska

antisocial people are also known as psychopaths or serial killers.

You guys are talking about those people right, and not mixing up antisocial people with asocial people?

TheDudeFatJay

TheDudeFatJay Well-Known Member

If our generation sucks so much.. Remember who raised us.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Our generation is worse. I heard that divorce is more common now then it was years ago

Delicious Dave

Blaming the previous generation for us is like blaming a parent for everything a kid does. It's stupid.

Delicious Dave

Games are alot better then books anyway

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

So our generation is smarter?

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
    - Socrates, 470 BC

Every generation complains about it's youth, it's normal.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As opposed to parents hating each other and raising fucked up kids because divorce is wrong?

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

The good and the bad have a direct relationship I believe.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

My fiances parents went through a nasty divorce and used her and her siblings as weapons against each other.

I can tell you the end result wasn't pretty, but ALL of the kids made it through college and for the most part turned out just fine.

I've never believed in staying married for the kids sake and it obviously doesn't always turn out bad even if it's a nasty divorce.