Obama Endorses Gay Marriage, North Carolina Bans It.

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, May 9, 2012.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

[video=youtube;vwJJm-we-vs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJJm-we-vs[/video]

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

It's about fucking time, Obama. That's all there is to say really.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The best part of that video is how he thinks there's only been three thousand years of human history. I fucking hate people.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This why I've given up on my faith. Because shitheads like mitt romney. It makes so fucking angry I can't even express it.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I don't know who he is but I am thankful for it.

shinformant

shinformant Banned

Communismz

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Well no, I assume Romney here is inferring that marriage as currently defined is a three thousand year-old institution. Which is also incorrect anyway, so...

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Glad you appreciate it.

Will

I don't think so. He's super-religious, so as far as he's concerned, "human history" started when the Bible said it did, and not over two million years ago, which is scientific fact.

(edit)
    "Modern" humans have existed for roughly ten thousand years, and written history about three thousand years.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

what do you mean by modern? because I count Modern as when AD came about, so that would 2,012 years of Modern Humans

Will

It's not what I consider to be modern. It's what science considers to be modern. Modern humans arose around ten thousand years ago with the dawn of the Stone Age. Human history, on the other hand, dates back millions of years. But that's not a discussion for this thread.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Modern humans as in anatomically and behaviorally similar to us most likely. Although, those have existed for about 30,000 years I believe. Regarding modern being 1 AD; there is no real difference between a human born in 1000 BCE and one born in 1000 CE though (I just prefer using CE instead of AD), so I don't see why that should decide what a modern human is.

SuperDude526

Depends how you define "modern." Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for how many millions of years I don't really know. Human civilization has been around for about 12,000 years. But all human civilization until the last half-millennia or so has been either prehistoric, paleolithic, neolithic, or pre-modern.

Actually, it's foolish and naive to believe humans haven't evolved in the last ten thousand years as well. In fact, there's research to suggest that there will even be evolutionary differences between urban and rural residents.

Will

My argument remains that Romney believes in the Bible, so anything that existed before the Bible said it did, Romney believes that, too. I guarantee he doesn't believe human history dates back prior to three thousand years ago, let alone ten thousand or two million years ago. He believes the world began just as the Bible said it did.

(edit)
    I'm also using the phrase "human history" to blanket the entire existence of the Homo genus. I realize Homo sapiens have only existed for approximately three hundred thousand years.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

I'm not saying we haven't evolved; I'm saying that we haven't really changed in a way that has altered the human behavior or anatomy drastically in a very long time. But this is all really off topic now.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Anyway, this is a cute gesture, but Obama's official position is that this is a state issue. So . . . yeah.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Exactly. Him and Romney and Ron Paul all essentially have the same stance on gay marriage when it comes to actual policy. Let the states decide.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

I'm from England, UK and it saddens me to see America, arguably the most influential and powerful country in the world, is so backwards in giving the same rights to gay and lesbian people.

The problem is, there are too many openly homophobic news anchors and politicians in America, and they keep stirring the pot of hatred. It is an issue, and one I hope you guys can sort out.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Absolutely. It's one of the biggest issues with our political culture, as far as I'm concerned. Politicians and the media only serve to exacerbate divisive issues. There's no sense of unity or common good. It's always "this group of Americans is somehow making life harder for this other group of Americans, so fuck them!" They then try to hide behind words like "morality" and "values," when in reality they're just encouraging bigotry.

Because that's exactly what it is: bigotry. That picture Will posted is spot on. These people are unquestionably wrong, and future generations will rightfully look back on them with disgust (as a lot of us already do) when this humiliating moment in history finally passes.

SuperDude526

Believe it or not, on my other forum (Dream Theater Forums, .org for what it's worth), we've had people temp banned for accusing homophobes on the forum of being bigots. And the thread itself was closed because the global moderator disagrees that this is a civil rights issue.