PDA

View Full Version : Until It Breaks (in general)

Gloomy Mushroom
07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I was really let down by the ending of this song. After such a heavy rap intro and second verse I feel like they completely let the song down at the end. I'm not hating on Brad's part, I think it is great they included his singing. I was exepcting a rap ending with a BOOM! End of song feel to it. Am I the only one that feels this way?

RiseFromTheAshez
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I feel the same way

Filip
07-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't. Until It Breaks isn't my favourite song from LT, and I think that Brad's voice is very relaxing, and sung beautifully. I think UIB are more songs combined into one, and Brad ended it perfectly.

Louis
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I think Brad's part at the end kind of guts the song for me. It took me a while to embrace Chester's part (it seemed so ridiculously random and out of place) and I like it now, but Brad's just feels weird. Mike is just absolutely killing on that song, and I just don't think that was the right way to end it. It's not a bad part and probably would have done well on its own elsewhere - but not at the end of "Until It Breaks." Not for me, anyway.

minuteforce
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I get what you mean and I kind of feel the same way - at the same time, "Breaks" is my favourite song on the album so, obviously, I can't say I'm too disappointed. A more bombastic would have been great but I'm fairly okay with what's there :)

Alexrednex
07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I kinda agree with your point, it should have an extended outro who lived up to the rap parts.
But i still like the song alot, one of the best songs from LT in my opinion

The Joesen One
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
It's the best song off Living Things. ;)

ChuckCheese
07-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I can't get into the song period. It's too jumbled it, with it being made up of a bunch of different seeds. I just don't think it flows well enough, and the beat could be way better. W&K, now THAT has a dope ass beat.

aKaRiot
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I adore everything until Brad's part. Mike went off lyrically, Chester came in with a cute little mood changing interlude of sorts, and the end just....doesnt do the song justice.

Anthony Maroon
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
To me, everything about Until It Breaks works perfectly. I absolutely love the transitions. The contrast between Mike and Brad really works for me here; it feels like Brad's part is sort of a "letting you down easy" outro after Mike's intense rapping.

I also feel like it serves as a great lead-in from the rest of the album to Tinfoil, which leads in nicely to Powerless.

Snail
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Disjointed, confused, and muddled. Nothing melds. The song literally sounds like three different demos played one after another as opposed to one complete singular piece of work.

LPChris
07-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Brad's part nearly fucked up the song for me the first time I heard it.

But Mike Shinoda's rapping was sooooo epic that Until It Breaks will always be crowned as my favorite song on LIVING THINGS.

The production on that song is second-to-none.

StaticOnTheWay
07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Mike's rapping on this song is some of his best work IMO. However I don't like Chester or Brad's parts...they just don't fit. I also wish there would've been a better beat behind Mike, cause TBH the only reason I like the song is because of the rapping.

Pidgeon
07-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I would have been disappointed if they brought the rap back. As sick as the rap was it just felt right to end one the same. . . Emotion, I guess.

Faint into Pieces
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I constantly wonder whether they should have kept the 4 demoes completely separate and released them as such on the album. It would make them more or less interludes. Change around their positions on the track list and you'd have some very interesting moments between songs.

arbiter
07-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Pfft..I don't know what some of you are smoking but "Until it Breaks" is one of the best things off the album and of LP's entire catalog. And Brad's part at the end is inspired and beautiful. :awesome:

Avo
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
I love every movement in the Until it Breaks, especially Brad's part. I definitely wouldn't have wanted them to end the song with Mike's rap or something predictable like that. That'd be boring.

Andreina
07-10-2012, 02:14 AM
I like the song a lot, including the sung parts. I don't think the intention of this song is to "flow smoothly", even the rap verses have some asymmetry to them by the addition of the off-timed backing vocals, which made the song very confusing to me during the first listening, but I started to asimilate it and enjoy the rhythm very quickly and I think it's a great song.

I love Brad's part actually, and even though a more powerful ending wouldn't have hurt, I liked this breakdown and it gives a nice transition to TINFOIL. I wouldn't change it.

hawk.
07-10-2012, 02:27 AM
I boosted the bass on the song and removed Brad's part, OMG HAX

minuteforce
07-10-2012, 02:35 AM
I love Brad's part actually, and even though a more powerful ending wouldn't have hurt, I liked this breakdown and it gives a nice transition to TINFOIL.
I think it's taken a bit of time for everyone who's heard it to adjust. I know I liked the song just fine when I first heard it but was a little iffy about the outro :)

Geki
07-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. I love everything about it. I didn't expect all the Hybrid Theory purists to understand or like this track, I'm not surprised by all of the hate. I love the originality.

Andreina
07-10-2012, 03:22 AM
Definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. I love everything about it. I didn't expect all the Hybrid Theory purists to understand or like this track, I'm not surprised by all of the hate. I love the originality.

I don't think all of the people who don't like this track are necessarily Hybrid Theory purists :lol: .. The song is kinda odd, weird, so it's understandable that some people don't get used to it or it just won't click with them.. I had to listen to it a few times to get it into my system, fortunately I ended up loving it but that won't always be the case for everyone..

Xero21
07-10-2012, 03:24 AM
I love it. I actually wish they'd ended the album with Until It Breaks. Brad's part with the serene sounds and the seagulls, just sounds like a great way to close out the album.

StaticOnTheWay
07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
I boosted the bass on the song and removed Brad's part, OMG HAX

Link? Or PM me or something? I'd really like to hear that

Filip
07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
:rastamike: This is how I imagine Mike on this song.

Qwerty19
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Actually, it's one of the tracks that remember me the most of HT on the record. :P More than, for example, I'll Be Gone or IMR. The structure is not the same, I know, it's all about the vibe/atmosphere for me.

Filip
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Actually, it's one of the tracks that remember me the most of HT on the record. :P More than, for example, I'll Be Gone or IMR. The structure is not the same, I know, it's all about the vibe/atmosphere for me.

I don't see how it can remind you of HT. It's nothing like HT.

Qwerty19
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't see how it can remind you of HT. It's nothing like HT.
Obviously it's nothing like HT, structure wise, and instrumentally. I said it, it's all about the vibe of the track. I don't know, that 90-rap feel, the beat, there's a thing that make me think of songs like High Voltage or the And One Rap outro, or even By Myself. There aren't heavy guitars, screamings, the structure is not the same at all....I know all of this. I can't even explain correctly why it remembers me of HT, but it does :lol:

Filip
07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Obviously it's nothing like HT, structure wise, and instrumentally. I said it, it's all about the vibe of the track. I don't know, that 90-rap feel, the beat, there's a thing that make me think of songs like High Voltage or the And One Rap outro, or even By Myself. There aren't heavy guitars, screamings, the structure is not the same at all....I know all of this. I can't even explain correctly why it remembers me of HT, but it does :lol:

There is that 90's rap feel, but the production is weak, and Hybrid Theory was all about crazy raps, amazing screams and awesome lyrics, but on UIB it's just :rastamike: and a sung outro.

Hybrid
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Mike's verses keep re-playing in my head, which is an amazing thing...

Anyways, no disrespect meant by this, but when I first heard the song, I was all "Holy ADD, LP!" It seemed like the song couldn't focus on what it wanted to be. I can now see that the "breaks" in the flow are jarring. For me, it's kind of a play on words. The track plays like an old school rap track only to get broken up by expirimentation. It's like a bird hatching out of a shell.

Gravity_LP
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
one of my favourite tracks from living things but that's cos i enjoyed mike's rapping. The 2 things i don't get was chester and brad's vocal in that track..it just don't sound nice together...Brad's vocal should be in another song or sth and he sang it so well :D

Roughneck
07-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Why do some feel the production is weak? Mike is rapping over a 'hip-hop' beat not a 'rap' beat with high piano keys and synths. The beat behind Mikes second verse before Chester's chorus is the most intense energy I've ever felt in a Linkin Park song. Its a different intensity, more swagger than angst, but I found the production very impressive.

However I agree, Brad's part does kind of ruins the song. I love the part itself, but it doesn't fit with Mike's mean verses.

RiseFromTheAshez
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
The first verse has one of the best beats I've ever heard (I'm a hip hop fan) those drums are insane, wish the entire track was that way :(

Babali
07-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Alright, I tried to click Multi-quotes for this but they don't seem to be working or they'll all just appear above this?

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that the song sounds disjointed, like demos thrown together, and I don't like Brad's part at the end. It sounds really safe to me.

I said in another thread that it sounds like an odd ATS outtake, a ton of experimenting going on but it's just awkward sounding to me because I'd like at least one part to repeat or something maybe, it just moves too randomly and quickly through the song. I think it sounds the most b-sidey, I guess.

brianlp01
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Love this song because it's not the typical song formation and it sounds like three songs in one with a random part from Chester. Absolutely live it.

Flagrare
07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
UNTIL IT BREAKS for me is fantastic. The experimentation. The dysrhythmia. The surprise that each second provides, that appears in the next verse. As pieces of different styles, rhythms had been molded to fit superbly. And contrary to the idea suggests, it doesn't became a kind of Frankenstein monster, but a living icon of what can be defined as "Hybrid Theory".

I must admit it took some time to enjoy it, but when it happened, my mind was enveloped in its membrane osmotic of innovation. Sure, talking about Linkin Park aspects.

shinformant
07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Hybrid Theory was all about crazy raps, amazing screams and awesome lyrics
http://gifs.gifbin.com/3204840swsw.gif

GVJLIMA
07-11-2012, 03:08 AM
lol for me, UIB beat sounds like a slower version of this: http://youtu.be/hhaI9nD8nzg

Ben
07-11-2012, 03:50 AM
This song was interesting. After first listening to the album, Lies Greed Misery and Until It Breaks were the two that I didn't care for. Lies Greed Misery hasn't grown on me much, and probably never will. However, Until It Breaks grew on me a ton. It's definitely got some swag to it, and very interesting elements. Brad's part is a little slow, and putting it at the end more often than not results in me just skipping to Tinfoil at that part.

Kmid24
07-14-2012, 03:06 AM
The ending is why I love this song, it makes it unique

KillerUndies
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I always take Brad's part as a part of Tinfoil. The way the last 3 tracks come together is odd but it's nice and I like it.

TheZlajaZlo
07-14-2012, 04:43 PM
This song was interesting. After first listening to the album, Lies Greed Misery and Until It Breaks were the two that I didn't care for. Lies Greed Misery hasn't grown on me much, and probably never will. However, Until It Breaks grew on me a ton. It's definitely got some swag to it, and very interesting elements. Brad's part is a little slow, and putting it at the end more often than not results in me just skipping to Tinfoil at that part.

This. I made an edited version without Brad's part.

Blackened
07-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Not really an interesting song for me, i like how they got Brad to sing at the end though. Anyway, to me, the intro sounds like Pantera's Cowboys From Hell.

LinkingParks
07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I loved this song,not my favourite maybe because it sounded like three songs combined,i still liked it though

Spiderguy252
07-16-2012, 08:40 AM
I think the album peaks towards its last quarter, and UiB has to be right up there - a nice blend of everything, really. Rap, melody and that sonic anthem towards the end. It's good stuff.

rgillies
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
It just sounds like a mess to me, 3 different songs just stuck together. I've only listened to Brad's verse a handful of times, I usually just skip it as it doesn't flow with the rest of the song at all.

Andreina
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Lol. In my case I like it, but like I said earlier, I don't think the song is meant to "flow" .. Also, it's not the same case but the song just reminded me of Zerstören (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boyTA30LQY8) by Rammstein, which is a crazy heavy song and at the end goes with an almost lullaby music-type of verse, completely unmatching with the rest of the song, but still good to me. I have no idea if R+ played that song live or if they removed the last part in case they did play it, but still the song's great IMO.

Ree
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I think Brad's part at the end kind of guts the song for me. It took me a while to embrace Chester's part (it seemed so ridiculously random and out of place) and I like it now, but Brad's just feels weird. Mike is just absolutely killing on that song, and I just don't think that was the right way to end it. It's not a bad part and probably would have done well on its own elsewhere - but not at the end of "Until It Breaks." Not for me, anyway.

Agreed. This song took the longest to grow on me out of all the songs on LIVING THINGS. I enjoy it quite a lot now, except for Brad's singing at the end. I do like the fact that they did something different and left Brad's vocals on this track, that's cool, but it kinda bores me and I always skip it. Chester's part is random but it's now one of the highlights of this song for me.

Favorite part of the song is Mike's third verse. Love it.

Andreina
07-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Me too, from all of the 3, the last verse is the one I like the most from Mike.

StaticOnTheWay
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM

One of his best raps ever. TOO MUCH SWAG

Hybrid
07-18-2012, 05:57 PM

I don't always sing "Until It Breaks," but when I do, I own the shit out of that part of the song.

Nish
07-22-2012, 11:49 AM

So much agreement. It sounds like the entire song is slightly dissonant until it hits that third verse and all of a sudden everything comes together to kick you in the face with its musical fists. :shifty:

Ree
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Ya mon, I've been quoted 4 times. :rastamike:

I agree, Nish! That verse didn't have such a huge impact (compared to the CD version) when he rapped it over the WFTE live intro, imo. I want to hear a full version of Until It Breaks live.

Andreina
07-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah me too, and some people may not like it but I am actually looking forward to hearing Brad's part live on stage.