PDA

View Full Version : Will there be any guitar solos on the new record?

kwill
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Do you think Brad will do any cool guitar-work on this record like In Pieces and TLTGYA? If so, how many songs do you think will contain a solo?

Hybrid
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think there will be any. Honsetly speaking, guitar solos don't really go with Linkin Park songs. The couple solos he did were good and fit in, but unless Brad or the band think that a solo will fit, it will not happen. Given the electrontic feel we've gotten so far and the track lengths, I don't see it happening. I could be wrong though...

Zombie Jeff
06-08-2012, 01:34 PM
The songs in general are relatively short in size, so I really wouldn't count on there being any.

Seanlp608
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Based on the descriptions of the songs on LIVING THINGS I highly doubt it. I feel like it would've been mentioned in at least one of the album/song reviews. That being said, in my opinion, if Brad were to place a guitar solo into one of the tracks, my money would be on VICTIMIZED since such little has been said about it.
I think this time around, the guitar might be used in a more abstract way. I believe SKIN TO BONE will offer some crazy guitar stuff. Linkin Park love flipping things around, like how they used electronic sounds to substitute heavy guitars on A Thousand Suns. So maybe for LIVING THINGS, they will use guitars to create that atmospheric/psychedelic sound.

Dinobot
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Hopefully not.

Flagrare
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't think there will be any. Honsetly speaking, guitar solos don't really go with Linkin Park songs. The couple solos he did were good and fit in, but unless Brad or the band think that a solo will fit, it will not happen. Given the electrontic feel we've gotten so far and the track lengths, I don't see it happening. I could be wrong though...

/\ This. Anyway, I rather a bass or drums solo.

kwill
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm going to say there's going to be one short one, like the one in What I've Done or something, but nothing exceptionally notable like In Pieces. I think if there was one, it would be in either Victimized, Skin to Bone, or Roads Untraveled.

Oliver
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Might be in one of the ballads...

Cookie Monster
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Don't think so.

Blake
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
i don't think there will be any. nothing points to it

Zumi
06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
No guitar solos.
They don't need them to sound epic B)

tripleh3lix
06-08-2012, 05:18 PM
In Pieces was 3:37.

wakadoodle
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I really hope so, In Pieces and The Little Things Give You Away solo's are great.

Oberyn
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Not only will there be no guitar solos, there will be no guitar on the record whatsoever. :)

Louis
06-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I highly doubt it considering the songs are short and that he's not very good with guitar solos.

Alexrednex
06-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Well you can't really tell if he's "good" with guitar solos, if you're only refereeing to his show of skills in the songs, then Brad is a terrible(or lets say basic) guitarist.
If you talk about his previously work, on songs as In pieces/Burning in the skies/TLTGYA then they maybe aren't that insane as lets say Seventh Wonder, but they fit the song perfectly and sounds amazing in my opinion. And he may be a very skilled Guitar player(Like Phoenix is an amazing bass player) he might just not show it in Linkin Park because of the fact that they don't use guitar as a backbone for there songs anymore

Filip
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I'd like guitars scracthed out by electronics, but I doubt that will happen...

Flagrare
06-08-2012, 06:46 PM
In Pieces was 3:37.

Hm. Yes. You're right. We'll have to wait and see. ;O

Super Sonic
06-08-2012, 07:25 PM
No, i don't think so.

Dinobot
06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Well you can't really tell if he's "good" with guitar solos, if you're only refereeing to his show of skills in the songs, then Brad is a terrible(or lets say basic) guitarist.
If you talk about his previously work, on songs as In pieces/Burning in the skies/TLTGYA then they maybe aren't that insane as lets say Seventh Wonder, but they fit the song perfectly and sounds amazing in my opinion. And he may be a very skilled Guitar player(Like Phoenix is an amazing bass player) he might just not show it in Linkin Park because of the fact that they don't use guitar as a backbone for there songs anymore

I disagree. It's one thing to make a simple solo that goes with the song (see any Pink Floyd song ever), and a totally different thing is the lack of creativity and taste Brad has shown over and over when it comes to guitar.
The guitar riff in Iridescent's bridge? Bad.
The "solo" he does during the extended Faint outro live? Worse.
The little tapping arrangement during the second verse of Given Up he did until last year? Absolutely cringe-worthy.
Brad was a decent riff writer back when all the songs used the same power chords in the same scale, but every time he has tried to expand his limits as a guitar player (see MTM), he has been really lacking. And I don't think he could do a better solo than what he did in In Pieces, that's probably as far as he can go.

Robert
06-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I would love another guitar solo... but thinking rationally I don't think there will be any :(

Faint into Pieces
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I disagree. It's one thing to make a simple solo that goes with the song (see any Pink Floyd song ever), and a totally different thing is the lack of creativity and taste Brad has shown over and over when it comes to guitar.
The little tapping arrangement during the second verse of Given Up he did until last year? Absolutely cringe-worthy.
Brad was a decent riff writer back when all the songs used the same power chords in the same scale, but every time he has tried to expand his limits as a guitar player (see MTM), he has been really lacking. And I don't think he could do a better solo than what he did in In Pieces, that's probably as far as he can go.

While I'd agree that the Faint solo is technically simple, the execution within the song is what matters. And in Faint's case it blows the energy scale up from a 10 to an easy 11. I still believe it's their best outro they have to date.

For LIVING THINGS I really don't expect a guitar solo, simply because for both MTM and ATS the band signified that there would be guitar solos to hype up specific songs long before their releases. But although I don't expect a guitar solo, would I want to be surprised by an awesome one ala In Pieces? Abso-fuckin-lutely!

Rocky
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
People still think that Brad writes or plays all the guitar parts? I'm not even a HUGE LP fan and I know that Chester and Mike write more guitar parts than Brad, who happens to make beats and engineer most of the time. According to their last MTV interview, Brad isn't playing guitar on this album and barely played on ATS. He didn't write the parts (or most parts) on MtM

Comstock
06-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Rock bands need guitar solos. There has to be

Spitz
06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Linkin Park didn't have solos on their studio albums until 2007. That being said, I'm willing to bet there's gonna be at least one guitar solo.

lepetitpote
06-08-2012, 11:52 PM
The guitar solo in In Pieces was the thing that stood out for the song for me. It was incredible and something different

Also, song length doesn't affect the chances of getting another solo. Who knows? We might be in for a good surprise on one of the shortest songs on the album

Alexrednex
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
I Guess i agree with your points, i just thought when i started bashing a member of the band for real i would get alot of hate, but it seems to work the other way around with Linkin Park sadly..
But yeah, In Pieces solo is decent, and i like the one too in Burning in the Skies, but the rest is kinda meeh, very simple, and well a little uninspiring.

Top2Bottom
06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I doubt whether there will be a solo, but hey I'm willing for a kickass solo surprise.

Also, I thought TLTGYA solo was sublime. It may be relatively simple, but it's special when a piece of music can capture the moment without saying a thing.

Robert
06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
He didn't write the parts (or most parts) on MtM

He jingled the keychain on Given Up :kappa:

cradle
06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys funny.:leo: What planet you living on?

Who knows we might get a few. Don't get your hopes up though.

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 12:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys funny.:leo: What planet you living on?
They live in Limbo. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 12:46 PM

They have to go deeper to find the solo :leo:

Robert
06-09-2012, 12:55 PM
They have to go deeper to find the solo :leo:

Deeper than Limbo? :o

The question is, though, if there will be any guitars on Living Things at all.

Nish
06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
The question is, though, if there will be any guitars on Living Things at all.

Oh, I heard the question. I'm just answering the question within the question :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh, I heard the question. I'm just answering the question within the question :leo:

That many questions within questions is too unstable. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 01:07 PM
That many questions within quesions is too unstable. :leo:

With the slightest reply, the question's going to collapse

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 01:59 PM
With the slightest reply, the question's going to collapse
You're waiting for a solo; a solo that will take you far away ... :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
You're waiting for a solo; a solo that will take you far away ... :leo:

You know where you hope this solo will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter... :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
You know where you hope this solo will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter... :leo:

How can it not matter where that solo will take you? :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:09 PM
How can it not matter where that solo will take you? :leo:

Because you'll be with the Bass player.
But you're asking me for a guitar solo. I hope you do understand the gravity of that request. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Because you'll be with the Bass player.
But you're asking me for a guitar solo. I hope you do understand the gravity of that request. :leo:

If we are gonna perform solos, then, we need imagination. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:12 PM
If we are gonna perform solos, then, we need imagination. :leo:

Your subconscious is looking for the guitarist; me. Quick, give me a riff!

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Your subconscious is looking for the guitarist; me. Quick, give me a riff!

Never solo from your memory. Always imagine new solos. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:19 PM
You remind me of someone... a man I met in a half-remembered song. He was possessed of some radical solos. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
What is the most resilient parasite?

A solo. Resilient, highly contagious. Once a solo has taken hold of the brain, it's almost impossible to eradicate. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:30 PM
What is the most resilient parasite?

A solo. Resilient, highly contagious. Once a solo has taken hold of the brain, it's almost impossible to eradicate. :leo:

A solo that is fully formed, fully understood. That sticks, right in there somewhere. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
A solo that is fully formed, fully understood. That sticks, right in there somewhere. :leo:

Yes, in a dream state, your conscious defenses are lowered and it makes your solos vulnerable to theft. It's called plagarism. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, in a dream state, your conscious defenses are lowered and it makes your solos vulnerable to theft. It's called plagarism. :leo:

Wait, these aren't just solos! These are riffs! And you said never to use riffs! :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Wait, these aren't just solos! These are riffs! And you said never to use riffs! :leo:

Well, riffs, they feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realise that something was actually strange :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, riffs, they feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realise that something was actually strange :leo:

Let me ask you a question...You...you never really remember the beginning of a solo do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's shredding on. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Let me ask you a question...You...you never really remember the beginning of a solo do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's shredding on. :leo:

'Cause it's never just a riff, is it? And a faceful of guitar hurts like hell. When you're in it, it feels real. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:47 PM
'Cause it's never just a riff, is it? And a faceful of guitar hurts like hell. When you're in it, it feels real. :leo:

You're actually in the middle of the studio right now. This is your first lesson in shared soloing. Why don't we play for another 5 minutes? :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
You're actually in the middle of the studio right now. This is your first lesson in shared soloing. Why don't we play for another 5 minutes? :leo:
Five minutes? What ... we were jamming like for at least an hour!

:leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Five minutes? What ... we were jamming like for at least an hour!

:leo:

In a solo, your mind functions more quickly. Therefore, time seems to feel slower :leo: + :rastamike:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 03:00 PM
In a solo, your mind functions more quickly. Therefore, time seems to feel slower :leo: + :rastamike:

You can literally talk to my subconscious, that's one of the ways plagarise solos from the subject. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 03:06 PM
You can literally talk to my subconscious, that's one of the ways plagarise solos from the subject. :leo:

In a solo you can cheat music into impossible sounds. That lets you create closed loops. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 03:13 PM
No solo is simple when you need to plant it in somebody else's mind. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I've come back for you, to remind you of something... something you once knew. That this song is not real. :leo:

minuteforce
06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I've come back for you, to remind you of something... something you once knew. That this song is not real. :leo:
To convince me to honour our guitar arrangement. :leo:

Nish
06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
To convince me to honour our guitar arrangement. :leo:

To take a leap of faith, yes. Come back to guitars, so we can jam together again. :leo:

ZoeLinkingal
06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
What... did I just read.

Blake
06-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Nish and Minuteforce are amazing! Good job, and a fun read :lol:

deftonesfan867
06-09-2012, 06:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsh7mBAtKGQ&t=9m42s

What was that again?

brianlp01
06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
if there's any solo's on this album they will pprobably be played by mike seeing as he played the BITS solo live. Mike is just the better guitarist in the group imo.

deftonesfan867
06-09-2012, 06:39 PM
if there's any solo's on this album they will pprobably be played by mike seeing as he played the BITS solo live. Mike is just the better guitarist in the group imo.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/032011/1299867456_the-situation-is-shocked.gif

cradle
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM

I had to Google that.:/

Astat
06-09-2012, 08:29 PM

How the hell is the Iridescent guitar part "bad?" It fits the song just fine, and Brad even has the sense to vary it slightly from playing an E-A-C triad over the A minor chords to just playing A and C over the F chords so the E note doesn't clash with the underlying harmonic structure. Shows that he's well aware of both "horizontal" (playing within the key of the song) and "vertical" (playing based off of whatever chord is being played at any given time) guitar playing styles.

People still think that Brad writes or plays all the guitar parts? I'm not even a HUGE LP fan and I know that Chester and Mike write more guitar parts than Brad, who happens to make beats and engineer most of the time. According to their last MTV interview, Brad isn't playing guitar on this album and barely played on ATS. He didn't write the parts (or most parts) on MtM

Brad has GREATLY understated his guitar contributions on A Thousand Suns in just about every interview. Most of Burning in the Skies was Brad, the guitar in Jornada Del Muerto was Brad, the Waiting for the End solo was Brad, the chopped-up guitar on Wretches and Kings was all originally played by Brad, at least some of Iridescent was Brad, and all of The Messenger was Brad. And that's just the stuff we know for certain. Brad played at LEAST as much guitar as Mike on ATS, if not more depending on who played the guitar parts on songs that could've realistically been either of them (The Catalyst, When They Come For Me, etc.). That interview you're referencing also doesn't say anything REMOTELY close to "Brad doesn't play any guitar on Living Things." I guarantee he has numerous guitar parts on the album.

I'm scratching my head at you lumping Chester in there too. I can count on one hand the number of LP guitar parts that are known to have been written by Chester...

The BITS solo was done by Brad in the studio.

deadbysunrise
06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I can count on one hand the number of LP guitar parts that are known to have been written by Chester
Which are these?

Nish
06-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Nish and Minuteforce are amazing! Good job, and a fun read :lol:

When the foundations been set, you have to build! :P

HybridBharath
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
The Aussie Boys (Nish and Minuteforce) for the win!!

Oh and i dont think there will be any solos on the record due to the fact that linkin park wanted to make a firecracker record.
In my opinon, a guitar solo reduces the intensity and energy of a song..

Dinobot
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
In my opinon, a guitar solo reduces the intensity and energy of a song..

Then you've been listening to the wrong bands.

Geki
06-12-2012, 05:19 AM
MTM is the only album that Brad did guitar solo's on, right? I heard that Mike did the solo for BITS on ATS. The BITS solo is my favorite guitar solo that LP has ever done. Anyways, I don't think there will be. These songs are supposed to be ''firecracker'' songs for the first 8 tracks, and then rest of the songs are described as electronically driven experimental songs. MTM was a stripped down, basic rock and alternative album. It had some old school hip-hop elements and some punk and synth elements too, but nothing electronic really at all. I think the solo's were born out of that feel and creativity, which LIVING THINGS doesn't seem to have in common.

Arjun
06-13-2012, 08:13 AM
dont think so. but we dont know anything yet.

Bennington_Hahn
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I really want there to be, but i know deep in my gut I will be disappointed. I just wish Brad would get out of his comport zone a bit more. Removing the powerchords in ATS was a smart move as it allowed the band to be heavy in different ways, but the guitar on the album (with the exception of BITS, W&K, Iridescent) is pretty bland and basic.

So far, BID seems like the same old same. LGM on the other hand sounds a bit more interesting, yet still nothing spectacular. I hope we do hear some more creative guitar parts on LT at least one a couple of tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsh7mBAtKGQ&t=9m42s

What was that again?

Argh, see this above all really frustrates me the most! Brad DOES have the technical skills to write/play some epic shit, but none of this hardly ever comes across on the album! Dammit Brad, show of some time will you? :lol: