PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Burn It Down?

Pages : [1] 2

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Initial thoughts? I put What I've Done/The Catalyst as they were the first singles from the two last albums, also rate it out of 10.

Gman2887
04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
By all means. Lets start with... http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35921

hawk
04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I voted for all of them, just for funz. :trollface:

Snail
04-16-2012, 08:08 AM
As mentioned in another thread, the song is underwhelming. Quite frankly, I'm not feeling it at all. Burn It Down is an interesting, yet curiously bland piece of music that never really takes off.

Gloomy Mushroom
04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
I love it.

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
As mentioned in another thread, the song is underwhelming. Quite frankly, I'm not feeling it at all. Burn It Down is an interesting, yet curiously bland piece of music that never really takes off.

agree

DirtyBlup
04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Initial thoughts? I put What I've Done/The Catalyst as they were the first singles from the two last albums, also rate it out of 10.

in effects i don't like so much none of the two

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Good song, but once again there is no live drumming or guitar, it will be Chester and Mike singing alongside a laptop live, I really hope the band can at least make a rock version out of this.
Also: I hate Chester's lyrics, I mean it's almost set up for people to take the piss out of :/ Mike's rap part with the instrumental is amazing though.

Just putting this out there though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEKLhvCCVA&feature=g-all-u&context=G2e30a5aFAAAAAAAABAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Abk1jAONjw

shwcobb
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
I would say this - if I heard Burn It Down and it was not from Linkin Park, I'd be obsessed with it. But LP set huge standards for themselves, increasing our expectations with each album, so I'd say 'Burn It Down' does feel a little underwhelming. Not so much going on in the background, not enough sound, which I'm used to. New Divide was similar to Burn It Down, yet it was rich with beats, hidden melodies and so on.

Burn It Down seems almost minimalistic. Maybe that's the point?

Hybrid
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
It feels like a natural progression from ATS that I am enjoying the hell out of.

JasonN
04-16-2012, 11:37 AM
The Catalyst is much better
But this song is very amazing. It's better than all the lead single except The Catalyst IMO

Minus
04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Good song, but once again there is no live drumming or guitar, it will be Chester and Mike singing alongside a laptop live, I really hope the band can at least make a rock version out of this.
Also: I hate Chester's lyrics, I mean it's almost set up for people to take the piss out of :/ Mike's rap part with the instrumental is amazing though.

Say hi to electronic drum kits and the guitar that's playing in the chorus.

Also, synthesizers. You know, the shit that Mike has been playing live for the past few albums?

Jesus.

Robert
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Also, synthesizers. You know, the shit that Mike has been playing live for the past few albums?

Jesus.

Minus says TRUTH.

BID is awesome. Enough said.

James
04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I like it its growing on me i expected it to grab me straight away.......... but it didnt i was sort of expecting a lot more

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Just because YOU can't hear something doesn't mean it isn't there.

HybridBharath
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I really like Burn It Down! It had great lyrics and Chester sounded 'really' good! Also about the last minute and a half was the best with Mike rapping. The Catalyst was better but this is still a great song. I also think there will be much better songs on the record.

My only problem with this song was that from the descriptions, Chester explained this song as being energetic. I felt the song was on a medium tempo. It didn't take off at any point.

Robot Man
04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I love it. It's definitely my favorite song off of Living Things...:awesome:

-NodA-
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
The song is OK, I gave a 6/10, which is far better than The Catalyst IMO. I enjoy the 2nd verse, I love the way Chester and Mike sing together.

I just don't understand why the song doesn't take off. I mean, if you add some drums and guitars on the last chorus, the song deserves an 8/10.

Agent Sideburns
04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
copy/paste from news thread:

The following is my own opinion, so don't get all riled up:

After the initial listen it sounds like a generic electro-pop song. The melody doesn't strike me... the chorus sounds very clunky and Mike's rapping bit seems forced and out of place. Production-wise it sounds formulaic/repetitive a la Meteora. Plus the lyrics are really simple.... seriously, I thought LP were done writing these type of lyrics back in 2003.

Overall it really left a bad taste in my mouth (or ears). Expected something more ambitious from LP.

I'd also like to add that The Catalyst to me is a million times better in every sense. I wish they'd kept walking down that road instead of making another radio-ready tune. Blah.

finality
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd give it a 7. Since we seem to be comparing it to The Catalyst (unfairly), I'd say it's on par with it, or slightly better. I'm not a huge fan of dubstep, so that might influence my opinion in that comparison.

It's fairly generic, but catchy, poppy, and what suits Chester's voice the best. Sticking to their strengths is a good idea.

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 12:42 PM
The verse are good. Some synth is good. The chorus sucks. Overall, a very "meh" single.

I said it once and I'll say it again.

"The Catalyst" summarized "A Thousand Suns" perfectly. If "Burn it Down" is to "LIVING THINGS" as "The Catalyst" was to "A Thousand Suns" I most likely will not end up enjoying the album much at all.

Hybrid
04-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Jesus.

+1. Rob is still playing the drums. Albeit electro drums, but he is still playing them. As far as the guitar is concerned, it is there. "Live drums" and a guitar driven riff the whole time wouldn't fit the song.

Minus
04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm not a huge fan of dubstep, so that might influence my opinion in that comparison.

:facepalm:

I don't think you know what dubstep is.

Avo
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Copy/paste from another thread:

Wow, not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I was pretty disappointed with this. The synths and Mike's rap are catchy as fuck, but the song was entirely predictable, lyrics were meh, and it sounds like New Divide. Although, I kind of expected as much with it being the first single and all.

Overall, this pales in comparison to The Catalyst and is about as bland as What I've Done.

vanRoK
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
the amount of EQ and filters on the guitar is driving me nuts,it's not so organic,too much electronic,it makes the song lifeless for me,i can bet the live version will sound way way better.

Minus
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
the amount of EQ and filters on the guitar is driving me nuts,it's not so organic,too much electronic,it makes the song lifeless for me,i can bet the live version will sound way way better.

Man, fuck EQ and filters on guitars. It's not like any renown guitar players mess with their guitar sound at all.

eE3dUUj4_4Q

Oh shit, John Frusciante uses synthesizer treatments on his guitar?

The song sounds very much alive to me.

vanRoK
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
yeah but in RHCP songs you can feel that guitar tone,while in Burn it down it sounds so crowded.

Minus
04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
yeah but in RHCP songs you can feel that guitar tone,while in Burn it down it sounds so crowded.

You're asking for guitar tone with powerchords.

Clever Name
04-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Not bad, still feeling 'MEH' towards the song. I just can't seem to feel it.

Apop
It might be because I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the song since it's so brand new, but I'm loving it!

[TDWP] Jacob
It's ok. I was expecting something better but still not bad. Maybe it will grow on me much like the catalyst did

vanRoK
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
yeah lol i guess your right but for me still sounds to much saturated :D

Clever Name
04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I got a little bored on Paint.

The Joesen One
04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
"Burn It Down" is an awesome song. It's not one of my top ten favorites, but it's addicting.

"Burn It Down" is anthem that features hard-pounding drums, synthesizers mixed with guitars and Chester's best vocal performance since "Waiting for the End." LP combines Chester's swooning vocals with poppy electronics until it explodes into a exploding hook. If Hybrid Theory and A Thousand Suns had a kid, it would be "Burn It Down." The song is basically industrial alternative heavy pop - which I like.

Moridin
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
It has some catchy aspects as usual (synth melody, vocals), but it feels empty, like they went out of their way to make it as inoffensive & accessible as possible and in the process removed all the life & feeling from it. Hmmm, sounds familiar... Oh yeah! Meteora.

LP are back "on some WID shit", unfortunately. Colour me unimpressed & disappointed.

http://ist1-3.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/1/_/_/_/1/s/Y/g/9/sYg9/In%20Bruges%20GIF.gif
Meh.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
:facepalm:

I don't think you know what dubstep is.

Another great post.

Blackee Dammet
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
It has some catchy aspects as usual (synth melody, vocals), but it feels empty, like they went out of their way to make it as inoffensive & accessible as possible and in the process removed all the life & feeling from it. Hmmm, sounds familiar... Oh yeah! Meteora.

LP are back "on some WID shit", unfortunately. Colour me unimpressed & disappointed.

http://ist1-3.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/1/_/_/_/1/s/Y/g/9/sYg9/In%20Bruges%20GIF.gif
Meh.

Haha, well put.

Gman2887
04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I like it. I'd put it ahead of plenty of songs from the first three albums, but I can't think of one off of A Thousand Suns it tops. I suppose it's disappointing when you make a lesser sequel to a highly anticipated movie, but the sequel, in this case, isn't crap.

It's just a safe track with simpler lyrics. I don't dislike it, but I'm not wowed by it like I was the day The Catalyst was released.

Jack_Farrell
04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Also, a waste of a perfectly good drum beat just for the sake of including it on the song for 3 seconds.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM

Jesus.

I was talking about the drums, not the synthesizers, and there is no need to be condescending to get your point across to people.

Let's compare studio/live performances here, live drums vs mostly drum machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNon7Mjxdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sQ2HXWeMw

VS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyDiuzpHCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyqly_JG1tI

..and that's why I prefer live drums in LP's music.

Too hard to understand/didn't listen:
As hard as you try, you will never be able to replicate an organic drum performance through a sequencer, it's a good track but it will be very dissatisfying live unless they switch it up for a live drum version.

Minus
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Let's compare studio/live performances here, rock instruments vs synthesizers.

Yes, let's compare videos of live performances over actually being at live performances.

Live video of Blackout: MEH.
Being in the pit for Blackout: Kick-ass.

Emmet
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
As I posted in the BURN IT DOWN release thread.

Okay so I'll go ahead and give my personal Pros and Cons to the single:

PROS:
1. I really love the electronic elements in the song, but it feels oddly organic in a way.
2. Mike's rap verse really gets me pumped during the song.
3. The chorus definitely adds power to the track.
4. It has a huge replay value.
5. The lyrics are somewhat relatable.
6. This almost fills the void that Pendulum left when they went on hiatus (this is more of a joke by the way :lol:)

CONS:
1. It seems like they are on that "What I've Done shit again" to quote Mike from MOATS back in 2010. It just feels really safe compared to their previous singles, kind of leaving me to wonder if there is a smidgen of label pressure from Warner Bros.
2. This is really more for most of their songs in general, but yet again we are lacking a lot bass to the song, though that could just be the YouTube audio's problem.
3. Even though the lyrics are somewhat relatable, and I know that lyrics aren't LP's strong point in their career, the lyrics themselves aren't necessarily their best work.

Gman2887
04-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Uh... Am I only the only person that doesn't get "why"? Because I thought Blackout was brilliantly realized both in a studio and live setting and Given Up is... Given Up.

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
If it is pressure from WB then I would wager to say they trolled their label quite well.

IMO this is nothing like HT or Meteora.

Minus
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Uh... Am I only the only person that doesn't get "why"? Because I thought Blackout was brilliantly realized both in a studio and live setting and Given Up is... Given Up.

The reason you don't get why is because he's very bad at communicating his argument.

I see where he's coming from (while disagreeing) and could in fact help interpret his reasoning, but fuck it.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
If it is pressure from WB then I would wager to say they trolled their label quite well.

I like how we are still discussing WB and their influence on LP even after ATS. Give it a break, guys, seriously.

Gman2887
04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The reason you don't get why is because he's very bad at communicating his argument.

I see where he's coming from (while disagreeing) and could in fact help interpret his reasoning, but fuck it.

Hi. Gman. Big fan.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
The point I am trying to make is: as hard as you try, you will never be able to replicate an organic drum performance through a sequencer, it's a good track but it will be very dissatisfying live unless they switch it up for a live drum version.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
The point I am trying to make is: as hard as you try, you will never be able to replicate an organic drum performance through a sequencer, it's a good track but it will be very dissatisfying live unless they switch it up for a live drum version.

I personally enjoy watching Chester struggle to hit buttons at the correct time, so I say the more buttons the better. That way, he won't be able to get out of pressing the buttoms! :leo:

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I like how we are still discussing WB and their influence on LP even after ATS. Give it a break, guys, seriously.

If you bothered watching MOATS the label is still pressuring them.

They could give two shits about artist integrity.

All they care about is the band producing something that makes them a lot of money and albums like ATS won't do that because the populace want's simple crap like Nickleback.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
If you bothered watching MOATS the label is still pressuring them.

They could give two shits about artist integrity.

All they care about is the band producing something that makes them a lot of money and albums like ATS won't do that because the populace want's simple crap like Nickleback.Ugh of course I watched it. What's with the negative wording? Morally reprehensible.

I didn't see one representative of Warner on there saying anything like that. Is there a quote where a band member actually says this flat-out? Or is this part of the LP "tinfoil" hat society's platform? See what I did there?

Now THAT was morally reprehensible.

Faint into Pieces
04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
At this initial point I would give it a solid 8/10. Sure, it's not instrumentally exciting, nor does it have a build-up to bring it into the same realm as The Catalyst, but it's catchy as fuck. The real question is whether that score will diminish in 2 months when Living Things is released and this song will have been played to death on my iPod and etched in my brain.

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Ugh of course I watched it. What's with the negative wording? Morally reprehensible.

I didn't see one representative of Warner on there saying anything like that. Is there a quote where a band member actually says this flat-out? Or is this part of the LP "tinfoil" hat society's platform? See what I did there?

Now THAT was morally reprehensible.

Towards the end of MOATS Chester is clearly talking about certain people from the label, of course the names were taken out, but he made the comment that there's pressure from said people and they shouldn't care because such and such isn't there.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 04:40 PM

This summarizes it perfectly for me as well. If this song was by another band, and someone sent me the mp3, I'd listen once or twice and delete it.

And it's not even that I hate it, I'm just so fucking indifferent to it. It's an electronic pop-rock song that feels hollow. So bland.

I didn't see one representative of Warner on there saying anything like that. Is there a quote where a band member actually says this flat-out?

Yes, Chester's huge rant at the end was about him trying to rally the band when they were feeling a bit down about label pressure on their music.

Also, when Mike is talking about not "being on some What I've Done shit," he's referring to Warner Bros. wanting them to create an energetic, catchy lead single because they "weren't sure if they heard a lead single in any of the songs" on A Thousand Suns.

To think that Warner Bros, one of the biggest record labels on this planet, is just going to leave their artists completely alone is silly. Going independent is really the only way a band is going to get full creative control.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Towards the end of MOATS Chester is clearly talking about certain people from the label, of course the names were taken out, but he made the comment that there's pressure from said people and they shouldn't care because such and such isn't there.

Well, shit. ANd they still let them get away with ATS. So why exactly is the argument still around?

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I really hope you don't believe that the pressure doesn't exist.

Even in the slightest.

Minus
04-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Yeah um, Blackout was a fucking highlight of the concert in Dallas last year. Dissatisfying my ass. That song has so much energy it isn't even funny.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Well, shit. ANd they still let them get away with ATS. So why exactly is the argument still around?

Because thinking otherwise is naive.

Granted, I'm sure Linkin Park has like...90% control over their own music, but some things are just par for the course with big record labels. Singles are one of those things; they HAVE to be a certain way.

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 04:48 PM

So what if they let them do it that time. Doesn't mean they let them this time around.

Could it be that the label found the results of ATS to not be to their liking and are pressuring LP to make more familiar music or do you think that labels don't care more about $$$ than a bands creativity?

Ben
04-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Jesus.

Thank you for saying that. I'm mind blown that people don't realize that this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME with Linkin Park. The Catalyst is no different. Mike stands behind his keyboard the entire song, even while singing his parts. Rob plays drums even during the first half when all the beats are digital. And, while distorted, there's no doubt Phoenix and Brad will be playing their parts of Burn It Down live as well.

Moving on, I love the song. I'd say I like it more than The Catalyst (although I love that song as well) just because it feels more structured, more like a song. I am in love with the verses of BID. The synths that play behind Chester's melodies, it's just an amazing combination.

And as far as the lyrics, they remind me of New Divide and The Catalyst. Huge vivid metaphoric lyrics using landscapes and incredible dynamic visuals to portray this really epic feeling. You can take the lyrics at face value (which I tend to prefer), or make something more relatable out of them.

I'd give the song an 8.5/10. If there was some sort of breakdown after Mike's verse, I think this song would've been perfect.

Agent Sideburns
04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
The thought that's bothering me the most is that how the heck did LP consciously go back to making bland songs like this after making an ambitiously experimental album like ATS? I've been scratching my head over this for the past few hours.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
The thought that's bothering me the most is that how the heck did LP consciously go back to making bland songs like this after making an ambitiously experimental album like ATS? I've been scratching my head over this for the past few hours.

I said this before when the "firecracker" article came out, but I think this album is the band throwing the fans a bone.

Like, "hey, thanks for sticking with us while we experiment, here's a reward." That said, I obviously don't know the band and I don't want to put words in their mouth, but that's just the feeling I get.

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
To be fair we can't really assume that just from one song.

I know the TC argument was made for ATS, but what if WTFE was the lead single of that album?

A lot of us would think the guys have nothing new or exciting.

I predict this album will have some awesome tunes that will be nothing like BID, which I do enjoy btw.

Agent Sideburns
04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
I said this before when the "firecracker" article came out, but I think this album is the band throwing the fans a bone.

I wouldn't jump the gun like that, but if that is truly the case then its a strike against LP's artistic integrity.

I know the TC argument was made for ATS, but what if WTFE was the lead single of that album?

I predict this album will have some awesome tunes that will be nothing like BID, which I do enjoy btw.

You mean Waiting For The End? I would've LOVED that to be the first single. That song is a 100 times more experimental than the bland mess BID is.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't jump the gun like that, but if that is truly the case then its a strike against LP's artistic integrity.

I don't mean to jump the gun, and after that SPIN article came out, I feel very confident that Burn it Down is more the exception than the rule with this new album.

But, even if Linkin Park DID throw their fans a bone...I dunno. It doesn't tarnish them as artists. It would be a not-so-artistic move, but if they made one album for the fans, that's not so bad. I wouldn't hold it against them.

Faint into Pieces
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM

I agree. A few of you seem to judging their new album as a complete turnaround in direction based on a lead single. They've said all along that Living Things is an album that encompasses ALL of the band's strengths into one cohesive sound.

Guess what? One of the band's strengths pre ATS was making radio-friendly, catchy pop songs. Even with ATS just look at Burning In the Skies, Waiting for the End and Iridescent for more of that strength. Other than "OHHHH A GANG CHORUS" or "OMG MIKE'S SINGING INSTEAD OF RAPPING" it's the same old Linkin Park with a slightly electronic twist.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah um, Blackout was a fucking highlight of the concert in Dallas last year. Dissatisfying my ass. That song has so much energy it isn't even funny.

Totally jealous. Would've replaced Crawling and OSC for Blackout at the Vegas show. And New Divide too. And SHadow of the Day. Hah.

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't mean to jump the gun, and after that SPIN article came out, I feel very confident that Burn it Down is more the exception than the rule with this new album.

But, even if Linkin Park DID throw their fans a bone...I dunno. It doesn't tarnish them as artists. It would be a not-so-artistic move, but if they made one album for the fans, that's not so bad. I wouldn't hold it against them.

The problem with that would be, it wouldn't just be one album. Wasn't Meteora for the fans? I'm sure they would have rather made something more original.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 05:15 PM
The problem with that would be, it wouldn't just be one album. Wasn't Meteora for the fans? I'm sure they would have rather made something more original.

That's what they wanted to make at the time. Deal wittit.

Moridin
04-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been getting a similar vibe, that they've taken their foot off the gas, so to speak. Since after ATS was released and they followed up The Catalyst with the most normal songs for singles instead of the more daring/different songs - now pretty much everything I've been hearing about LT rubs me the wrong way.

Wait & see I suppose. Hopefully BID isn't representative of the rest of LT.

insanefanboy
04-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I love it the more I listen to it, reminds me of BlackBirds structure wise. Very Catchy.

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM
That's what they wanted to make at the time. Deal wittit.

No it isn't. Deal with it.

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 05:18 PM
No it isn't. Deal with it.

Have you read Mike's most recent blog? Come on. Seriously.

I have never seen proof that that album was not what they intended to make.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Have you read Mike's most recent blog? Come on. Seriously.

I have never seen proof that that album was not what they intended to make.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of you and Jesse. they HAVE said in interviews that they felt not only fan and label pressure to recreate the HT sound, but just the pressure of fame in general.

HT was wildly successful, so they felt a bit obligated to stick with that, because it was "their thing" so to speak.

deftonesfan867
04-16-2012, 05:22 PM

All the demos from that era suggested that they wanted to make something different, but WB said /notgonnahappenmakehybridtheory2.0

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of you and Jesse. they HAVE said in interviews that they felt not only fan and label pressure to recreate the HT sound, but just the pressure of fame in general.

HT was wildly successful, so they felt a bit obligated to stick with that, because it was "their thing" so to speak.

I can accept that theory, but no the delusion that WB forced Meteora down their throats. They were perfectly willing to replicate HT.

insanefanboy
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
To me this is a good thing, as HT is my favorite, so I'm happy, I hope the rest of you are as well.
Don't get me wrong their other albums were beyond good, but to my (insane) mind Hybrid Theory, is just tops. :)

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 05:38 PM
All the demos from that era suggested that they wanted to make something different, but WB said /notgonnahappenmakehybridtheory2.0

Exactly. Not to mention they've stated in many an interview that they felt pressure from their fans and their label. Don Gilmore suggesting they rewrite their songs a trillion times being but just of one example.

Meteora, the album was not for the band. It was for the fans. The demos on the other hand do seem to tell a different story.

iamsatan
04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I voted not bad, I don't love it or hate it, I was just expecting much more, it's too radio friendly. I was hoping they pushed the experimentation of ATS even further. Hopefully they have some experimental gems that will probably never be singles on the rest of Living Things.

Gman2887
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Don Gilmore suggesting they rewrite their songs a trillion times being but just of one example.

Ugh... Having Gilmore as a producer is like using a car boot to enhance a driving experience. The sooner he leaves the business, the better.

@LP2K12
04-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Jesus.

Exactly. This is why I love it.

IISUPERXEROI
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I LOVE IT

Manu
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
After about 8 replays, it has certainly grown on me.

I understand why they're going with this as the first single, and I think it was the right choice.

Bring on the whole album on June!

Yatesy
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM

The chord sequence for BID definitely sounds like old Linkin Park styles.. there are alot more synths than HT and Meteora but to say that this song is 'nothing like' them would be wrong, this is the closest they have got since those two albums.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you for saying that. I'm mind blown that people don't realize that this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME with Linkin Park.
I never said it didn't, I was talking about the attention taken away from 50-80% live drumming to focus on 90% electronic drums on the newer tracks, it just fails live in my opinion, it is boring to me to hear a heavily produced beat get half played by a talented drummer on an electronic kit as Joe sways looking bored to the right of him, having pressed a shiny blue button which outdoes all of his efforts.

People would get really pissed if a vocoder track was mixed in with Chester's vocals live, Chester then sings a little out of time at points, exposing the polished sounding, unorganic recording underneath which leaves the audience standing there and saying:
"Why don't they just play the record."

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I liked Hybrid Theory
I loved Reanimatin
I loved Meteora
I hated MTM
I loved ATS

And I think this song is total cr*p. Make of it what you will.

Minus
04-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I never said it didn't, I was talking about the attention taken away from 50-80% live drumming to focus on 90% electronic drums on the newer tracks, it just fails live in my opinion, it is boring to me to hear a heavily produced beat get half played by a talented drummer on an electronic kit as Joe sways looking bored to the right of him, having pressed a shiny blue button which outdoes all of his efforts.

People would get really pissed if a vocoder track was mixed in with Chester's vocals live, Chester then sings a little out of time at points, exposing the polished sounding, unorganic recording underneath which leaves the audience standing there and saying:
"Why don't they just play the record."

Who says Rob doesn't play the electronic drums live? Have you even LISTENED to anything I've posted so far? He's playing all of it live. If he's not playing it live, it's Brad and Chester on their drumsets.

Even the electronic beats are being played by Rob. Listen to The Catalyst live.

And your vocoder example doesn't fly at all. Do you know what a vocoder is? If you're talking about pre-recorded vocal tracks, then NO SHIT. That's a backing track, electronic or no. A vocoder requires a microphone and some sort of instrumental input to transform the voice. AKA what they do on The Catalyst. Or what Mike does in The Requiem. Or what Pendulum does in Hold Your Colour.

I loved Meteora

That explains a lot.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 07:08 PM
I liked Hybrid Theory
I loved Reanimatin
I loved Meteora
I hated MTM
I loved ATS

And I think this song is total cr*p. Make of it what you will.

I'm actually thoroughly disappointed with this song, it's as if Warner Bros selected this song from the demo pile and got RedOne to finish it off.

Perhaps the most rushed Linkin Park song ever, I am devastated, and I have loved every era of the band before this.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I just don't dig the playschool vibe of the entire thing. If you absolutely have to, then mux it with the other extreme - as in Blackout's loud screams et al - but the vocals on this one went in the same direction of ironically, the equally boring Burning in the Skies.

Vriska
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
It's a good song for listening to.

Compared to many of the songs I listen to, it fits in nicely in some playlist. Compared to other Linkin Park songs though, it doesn't stand out and i will probably wear it out after enough listens, just like how I do with other songs from bands that are not my favorite band.

On account that A Thousand Suns is my favorite album, I expect this Living Things to challenge me.

Minus
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I just don't dig the playschool vibe of the entire thing. If you absolutely have to, then mux it with the other extreme - as in Blackout's loud screams et al - but the vocals on this one went in the same direction of ironically, the equally boring Burning in the Skies.

Burning in the Skies... boring?

I can see people saying In Between is boring... but BITS? I don't see it. What's wrong with people these days?

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
What's wrong with people these days?

They've just begun to have individual tastes. Weird, no?

The Prisoner
04-16-2012, 07:39 PM

I can see people saying In Between is boring... but BITS? I don't see it. What's wrong with people these days?

Every time I listen to Burning in the Skies, the grooving bass gives me the chill. It'S simply amazing.

Ben
04-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Minus reinstated what I posted earlier about The Catalyst example. Rob does play those parts live.

However, this comment about Burning in the Skies being boring almost comforts me in a way. I absolutely love BITS, in my top 3 off ATS, so our musical interests are obviously very different. Burn It Down is a lot of things, but I can't say boring is one of them.

Anyways, this isn't really a debate, just people sharing their opinions. I'm not too surprised that most people don't like it since it's much more "pop", "mainstream", or whatever you want to call it. I'm okay with mainstream. I'm okay with a song that I can jam to in my car. I'm okay with having an album I can play with my friends without having to skip interludes just to get to the next song. Structure isn't always bad. I'm all for experimenting, and Linkin Park did that. I'm glad they seem to be on solid ground again though.

Rosh
04-16-2012, 07:45 PM
The song was too basic for me. Snail put it most eloquently: "curiously bland". I feel like with the sounds in this song, I should have come away with more, but I didn't. I also wasn't a fan of the echo effects on Mike's vocal...made the rap sound cheesy. I heard it and seriously thought, "That's it?"

There was ONE part that I thought would be the saving grace of this song and it was woefully too short. It is the little drum breakdown that starts prior to the final chorus right at 2:50. I really wish that had been its own breakdown, but alas...no dice. I also thought Mike's rap could have been a bit better. It's Blackbirds-like in structure, and I far preferred those lyrics.

As a song itself, it is quite average. I played it for a few non-LP Fans and they were underwhelmed. General consensus: "Not bad...but nothing special."

As a LP song, it feels like quite a step back. I'm hoping this song was most a label-pressure kind of thing after the rein they gave LP on the last album.

Very eh for me. I give it a 5 (average).

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

Well, maybe they wanna ditch WB and go indie, so they rushed this record... But, I hope that's not the situation. Although the laziness of Burn It Down gravitates towards it. When you listen to something from HT, MTM or ATS and BID, you get the feeling that they've written this song in one day.

Rosh
04-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Huh. I thought opinions were a thing?

Minus
04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
They've just begun to have individual tastes. Weird, no?

Especially when they're wrong.

Robert
04-16-2012, 08:32 PM

My brother called it "predictable", my sister called it "boring". :annoyed:

Andreina
04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
+1. Rob is still playing the drums. Albeit electro drums, but he is still playing them. As far as the guitar is concerned, it is there. "Live drums" and a guitar driven riff the whole time wouldn't fit the song.

^ THANK YOU.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Minus what is your opinion on the new song? Cause i'm not feeling it..

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Minus what is your opinion on the new song? Cause i'm not feeling it..

It's an apologist's one betcha.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Especially when they're wrong.

Wrong when considered in accordance to who exactly? You? A keyboard warrior with a couple of fancy special characters in his username? Good Lord.

Here're all my music reviews. Pray read through them and post back here telling me they're all "wrong".

http://spydistrict.com/category/varun-ravichandran/

Cheers mate.

Minus
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
My opinion is everything that is in opposition to yours. I thought this was made clear a while ago. I merely exist as the contempt of the LPA towards the newbies. Hence the signature and the title.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Wrong when considered in accordance to who exactly? You? A keyboard warrior with a couple of fancy special characters in his username? Good Lord.

Here're all my music reviews. Pray read through them and post back here telling me they're all "wrong".

http://spydistrict.com/category/music/

Cheers mate.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/072/542/tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg?1318992465

Minus
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Honestly I'm still waiting on responses on the live electronics argument. Because if there's anything I love, it's arguing about subjective stances.

caselimor
04-16-2012, 08:49 PM
The music: I like it!
The lyrics: Not so much.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/072/542/tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg?1318992465

http://omg.wthax.org/hi5.jpg

:cool:

Blake
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
My opinion on first singles: One Step Closer>Burn it Down>Somewhere I belong>What I've Done>The Catalyst

My opinion of the song: possibly top 10 LP songs, easily top 15

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Honestly I'm still waiting on responses on the live electronics argument. Because if there's anything I love, it's arguing about subjective stances.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/cant-tell-if-trolling-or-just-ignorant-as-fuck.jpg

EDIT: Picture removed because Minus got butthurt about it.

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
One Step Closer > What I've Done > The Catalyst > Burn It Down > Somewhere I Belong

Blake
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM

http://spydistrict.com/category/varun-ravichandran/

Cheers mate.
Nice Boys Like Girls review

shwcobb
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
The Catalyst > What I've Done > One Step Closer > Somewhere I Belong > Burn It Down

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/cant-tell-if-trolling-or-just-ignorant-as-fuck.jpg

I'll give you a hint: My title says "RESIDENT BULLY", and upon changing my name to + / –, Derek, the admin of the site, felt the need to add this to my signature:

"Formerly known as Empty Spaces/Sir Minus of Trollshire."

Hi, I'm Minus. Don't take me seriously unless I'm being serious. I'll give you 5 guesses as to whether or not I've been serious these past few posts, and the first 4 don't count and I'm allowed a kidney punch if you guess wrong.

Exzero
04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
What I should say I'm fucking love this shit.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
The Catalyst > One Step Closer > Somewhere I Belong > What I've Done > Burn it Down

Aside from the one exception (maybe two), their lead singles have generally been weaker compared to their other singles, or other tracks in their records in general.

Money Maker Mike
Just because YOU can't hear something doesn't mean it isn't there.

There's a solid guitar part with heavy flanger and delay effect.

Xero21
You know, after hearing Mike on Kevin and Bean talk about how the song could be interpreted as pop/hipster culture and how kids today like to build up the next big thing only to tear it down once it becomes popular, I was reminded of an Arcade Fire song from 2010 called Rococo that talks about the same thing:

Rococo - Arcade Fire

Let’s go downtown and watch the modern kids
Let’s go downtown and talk to the modern kids
They will eat right out of your hand
Using great big words that they don’t understand

They’re singing
Rococo, Rococo, Rococo, Rococo…

They build it up just to burn it back down
The wind is blowing all the ashes around
Oh my dear God what is that horrible song?

They’re singing

They seem wild but they are so tame
They’re moving towards you with their colors all the same
They want to own you but they don’t know what game
They’re playing

Rococo, Rococo, Rococo, Rococo

Well played Linkin Park. Well played.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
You know, after hearing Mike on Kevin and Bean talk about how the song could be interpreted as pop/hipster culture and how kids today like to build up the next big thing only to tear it down once it becomes popular, I was reminded of an Arcade Fire song from 2010 called Rococo that talks about the same thing:

Rococo - Arcade Fire

Let’s go downtown and watch the modern kids
Let’s go downtown and talk to the modern kids
They will eat right out of your hand
Using great big words that they don’t understand

They’re singing

The wind is blowing all the ashes around
Oh my dear God what is that horrible song?

They’re singing

They’re moving towards you with their colors all the same
They want to own you but they don’t know what game
They’re playing

Well played Linkin Park. Well played.

No wonder it sounds like its been scripted in under ten minutes. Ctrl +C, Ctrl +V is all it takes these days.

Money Maker Mike
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I would like to know why some of you guys don't like Burn It Down. I want to know if I'm on the same track as other people here.

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6072742228_2bf7d9ace8_o.jpg

:ohno:

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6072742228_2bf7d9ace8_o.jpg

That's not a guess.

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I would like to know why some of you guys don't like Burn It Down. I want to know if I'm on the same track as other people here.

*It's boring and bland overall.

*Electronica in there just for the sake of having some.

*The background through the intro sounds like a playschool song.

*The rap is unnecessary.

*So much other stuff, both obvious and subtle.

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't have a website hosting my reviews, but I play violin, viola, cello, piano, guitar and harmonica. I was a music major and composed a few orchestra pieces along with other instrumental pieces. I was in a band that got a record deal and has an album on iTunes although I never see any royalties from the damn thing.

I like the song.

_Depression
04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't have a website hosting my reviews, but I play violin, viola, cello, piano, guitar and harmonica. I was a music major and composed a few orchestra pieces along with other instrumental pieces. I was in a band that got a record deal and has an album on iTunes although I never see any royalties from the damn thing.

I like the song.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1233928590_citizen-kane-clapping.gif

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Rococo is one of my favorite Arcade Fire songs!

Xero21
04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Rococo is one of my favorite Arcade Fire songs!

Aren't you glad to hear Linkin Park's take on it? :awesome:

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with it and it's not offensively bad (like Somewhere I Belong chorus for example) but there's nothing great about it either. There is no momentum, no "magic"...

Vriska
04-16-2012, 09:26 PM
There is nothing wrong with it and it's not offensively bad (like Somewhere I Belong chorus for example) but there's nothing great about it either. There is no momentum, no "magic"...

Pretty much this.

Money Maker Mike
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM

*It's boring and bland overall.

*Electronica in there just for the sake of having some.

*The background through the intro sounds like a playschool song.

*The rap is unnecessary.

*So much other stuff, both obvious and subtle.

I agree.

InStereo
04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I play triangle and I think the song is okay.

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Your opinion is valid because you prefaced it with your experience in music.

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 09:36 PM

Respect (for the triangle)

I can play Smoke On The Water intro on a guitar and I make cool beatboxing sounds...

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 09:38 PM

I like the song.#humblebrag

Fixt.

Everything that Spiderguy said above.

The song is created with one purpose in mind, and that's not to relate to us, not to push the boundaries of the band in any way, not to create anything original, but to solely make Linkin Park and Warner Bros. money by appealing to the fifth grade schoolgirl mentality with which the mainstream is manifested, cheesy synths, playschool melody and a beat which can only be described as a hybrid between europop, dance and dubstep, the genres we all grew out of 6 months ago before the mainstream took it and made it into a happy meal.
Gone are the powerful and ballsy explosions of sound which we all loved about Hybrid Theory and Meteora, gone is the experimentation on which the band redefined themselves in Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns, and in it's wake lies a hard punch to the gut for anyone who listened to Chester's speech at the end of Meeting Of A Thousand Suns, I have been a fan of Linkin Park for 11 years, and I am disgusted.

InStereo
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I can play the weirdest and most complicated tunes and beats on my triangle. I hope you guys aren't really making fun of me.

shwcobb
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I play keyboards and guitar, opinions should be valid even if I'm near deaf, which I'm not. It's a great song, but considering we're talking about Linkin Park, I'm disappointed. Listening to it, I thought of things and beat loops to make it sound better [to me] before the first chorus, which isn't a good thing. I hope they intentionally went for the minimalistic direction on this one, because if the rest of the album is like this, they seriously dropped the ball. Highly doubt it.

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I can play the weirdest and most complicated tunes and beats on my triangle. I hope you guys aren't really making fun of me.

I'm not. I'm using it to make fun of other people. As a musician, I respect everything you do. Percussive instruments are difficult for me.

Yatesy
04-16-2012, 09:45 PM

Somewhere I Belong has an 'offensively bad' chorus? Are we listening to the same song?

InStereo
04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Cool, I just had the impression you don't take me serious. It really took me a lot of work to get where I am today. I'd even say I'm able to pull of harmonies on my triangle that are easily much more complex than any instrument we hear on Burn it Down.

Edit: if there are any

Minus
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Somewhere I Belong has an 'offensively bad' chorus? Are we listening to the same song?

I WANNA HEAL
I WANNA FEEL
I SLIPPED ON A BANANA PEEL
I WATCH ALLY MCBEAL
MY FAVORITE ZOOLANDER FACE IS BLUE STEEL
I LIKE TO KNEEL
IN FRONT OF NEAL
AND REINVENT THE WHEEL
WHILE I EAT VEAL
WITH LOTS OF ZEAL
SOMEWHERE I BELOOOOOOOOOOOONG

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm able to pull of harmonies on my triangle that are easily much more complex than any instrument we hear on Burn it Down.

:rofl:

Avo
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I think this song could've been better if they made it an instrumental.

Oberyn
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I wanna kneel
and to still
like I'm close to that kill.

Andreina
04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I play keyboards and guitar, opinions should be valid even if I'm near deaf, which I'm not. It's a great song, but considering we're talking about Linkin Park, I'm disappointed. Listening to it, I thought of things and beat loops to make it sound better [to me] before the first chorus, which isn't a good thing. I hope they intentionally went for the minimalistic direction on this one, because if the rest of the album is like this, they seriously dropped the ball. Highly doubt it.

The "I can play..." thing is not really "relevant" for the discussion. Of course ANYONE could have their own opinions based of their tastes or whatever regardless of the musical background or any other thing. You are completely right.

The point is that by using that kind of statement to supposedly "validate" an opinion -as SOME attempted to do-, doesn't make people more "right" than someone who just listens to music with no musical background. It's useless.

People can like the song, people can dislike the song.. That's completely natural. I, particularly like the song, I LOVE the song, and nobody has the right to tell me I'm "WRONG". It's an opinion, and it's irritating to read some people presenting their opinion as FACT as if their background gives them more "validity". It's not a FACT, it's a subjective statement.

The rest, is just trolling.

TheZlajaZlo
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Cool, I just had the impression you don't take me serious. It really took me a lot of work to get where I am today. I'd even say I'm able to pull of harmonies on my triangle that are easily much more complex than any instrument we hear on Burn it Down.

well done :trollface:

InStereo
04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
With their last two records Linkin Park gained a lot of credibility and grew as artists. And today they burned it down. Could this be the meaning of the song?

Promofrog
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
With their last two records Linkin Park gained a lot of credibility and grew as artists. And today they burned it down. Could this be the meaning of the song?

By God I hope so.

Money Maker Mike
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM

LMFAO

Spiderguy252
04-16-2012, 11:07 PM

LoL I hope so. Just for the sake of cracking up at the reactions of the annoying 'holier than thou' fans on here who think the song can do no wrong. :awesome:

Ben
04-16-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm actually really surprised how brutally negative the general consensus of this song is. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm definitely a bit shocked.

No, I don't love ever single thing LP puts out. I can list quite a few songs I'm just so-so on. I don't feel that way about this song though.

Oh well. To each their own.

Xero21
04-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm actually really surprised how brutally negative the general consensus of this song is.

The poll doesn't exactly show a brutally negative general consensus. Kind of the opposite actually.

Ben
04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
The poll doesn't exactly show a brutally negative general consensus. Kind of the opposite actually.

You know I hadn't actually even looked at the poll. I pretty much read all the comments in this thread. That poll definitely seems contradictory with the opinions of the people posting in this thread though. haha

Andreina
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm actually really surprised how brutally negative the general consensus of this song is. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm definitely a bit shocked.

No, I don't love ever single thing LP puts out. I can list quite a few songs I'm just so-so on. I don't feel that way about this song though.

Oh well. To each their own.

Nope, it's quite the opposite.

And, I'm gonna quote Mike (http://mikeshinoda.com/2011/06/28/why-dont-you-care-about-me-the-vocal-minority-and-clubs/) here:

Studies such as this one (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/research_examines_what_motivates_people_to_comment.php), conducted by the Warsaw University of Technology, found that people are more inclined to comment online if they have negative feelings about something. Contented people will not comment, discontented people will complain. And the negative thread is likely to grow longer and more extreme if the subject: a.) is opinion-based, b.) is emotional content, and/or c.) has a large following or draw. (For us: check, check, check…) Plus, adding the separation by the computer screen, people feel emboldened to speak freely and sometimes in a more exaggerated fashion.

Happy people, just don't complain. I did vote when the thread was initially opened, but didn't post until recently.

Hybrid
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM

Welcome to the majority of how Linkin Park fans are. They are never happy with the band progressing. They also build up a pedestal to put Linkin Park on and expect everything, kitchen sink included, out of them.

InStereo
04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the majority of how Linkin Park fans are. They are never happy with the band progressing. They also build up a pedestal to put Linkin Park on and expect everything, kitchen sink included, out of them.

But this isn't actually progress. It's like two steps backwards. I loved how they pushed the boundaries on ATS (though it could have been more organic) but this is like: Okay, let's write songs that are poppier than everything we've done in the past and tell them we are comfortable with our past again. It's like a connection between what was bad on ATS and what was bad on Meteora. I hope the album will be nothing like Burn it Down.

You know, I always had hard times trying to prove my friends wrong when they claimed that LP is just another commercial, greedy band, I won't even try to discuss that anymore now that I heard this song.

Money Maker Mike
04-16-2012, 11:49 PM

But with this one, we can debate on whether they have progressed or regressed.

Just because they change their sound doesn't nessecarily mean progression.

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Let's go back to MTM with the band talking to Rick Ruben about how or what a Linkin Park album is supposed to sound like. The same rule applies with this album than it did with MTM and ATS. And besides, judging the entire fucking album on one song is nothing short of God damn lunacy.

InStereo
04-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Am I supposed to quote myself here? I said: I hope the album is nothing like BID. This implies that I don't know what the album will sound like. And this implies that I don't judge it because of Burn it Down.

TrantaLocked
04-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Wow the song ended up not being so hot for me. Reminded of the structure of What I've done, just with a slightly better chorus and background music. I know LP wants every one to get a taste of the new album but at least to me this song is bland, but I think in the context of the album it will sound pretty good.

Oh and to answer to "They are never happy with the band progressing:" I don't think this song shows much progression over the last two albums. It doesn't really seem to transcend. I originally liked the snippets from the game, but as a whole the song doesn't touch The Catalyst in level of depth.

In a way this may be a method for Linkin Park to use reverse psychology: get the listener to think the album won't be that good by releasing a single that sounds like the brother of What I've Done, and then release a beast ass album.

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Am I supposed to quote myself here? I said: I hope the album is nothing like BID. This implies that I don't know what the album will sound like. And this implies that I don't judge it because of Burn it Down.

Haha alright. Didn't see that. Thanks for pointing that out. There are people who are thinking that though...

ChuckCheese
04-17-2012, 12:34 AM
I like it. Nothing amazing, but I don't think it's supposed to be. It's catchy, it'll get the crowd going at the shows, but it is a very generic, simple song. I don't think it's fair to ask that every song LP comes out with now has to complex and have a lot of elements to it. Burning in the Skies was fairly simple (minus that awesome guitar part). I will admit that they could have done with a bit more oomph, but I'm okay with this. Very excited to hear everything else.

Blake
04-17-2012, 12:38 AM
it's true tho, people tend to comment more if they have something negative to say, that's why the poll contradicts the comments

soun'wave
04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
I thought it was a little underwhelming first listen. the lyrics and melody feel very generic/poppy and just uninteresting and I think Mike's rap feels a bit simple and forced meteora style

The production is very nice though, the layered synths and filtered instruments sounds cool, it sounds like a continuation of ATS, which I'm pleased about

I think I'll want to hear how this fits into the album tracklist before deciding whether I like it, I find track placements to be important to my enjoyment of the song

Rocky
04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
But with this one, we can debate on whether they have progressed or regressed.

Just because they change their sound doesn't nessecarily mean progression.

I think you can make an argument that they've progressed by not consciously putting themselves in a box like every other album that wasn't Hybrid Theory. Meteora's box was "be HT pt.2", MtM was that "not be like the old us" box and ATS was "we're going to fuck with everybody and not do any of the shit that they expect of us". I believe that they said that it exhausted the shit out of them.

Now they just make music that they think sounds good.

IMO not limiting yourself in any way is progress. I think I'll enjoy them that way

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 12:48 AM
it's true tho, people tend to comment more if they have something negative to say, that's why the poll contradicts the comments

That's why I'm trying to take his advise and speak up as part of the "silent majority."

Blake
04-17-2012, 12:51 AM
That's why I'm trying to take his advise and speak up as part of the "silent majority."
Yeah, me too. I like voicing my opinion even if it's different from the majority. Usually i try not to post negatively, so I mainly share my positive opinions

esaul17
04-17-2012, 12:54 AM
I listened to this song before I left for my exam in the morning. Then had New Divide stuck in my head all day. Not particularly promising.

Ace31
04-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I was a little meh on it at first when I heard it through my laptop speakers, but after listening to it turned up loudly on my surround sound system it has grown on me a lot. It does have a lot energy and it will be fun to hear it played live.

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 01:03 AM
I think you can make an argument that they've progressed by not consciously putting themselves in a box like every other album that wasn't Hybrid Theory. Meteora's box was "be HT pt.2", MtM was that "not be like the old us" box and ATS was "we're going to fuck with everybody and not do any of the shit that they expect of us". I believe that they said that it exhausted the shit out of them.

IMO not limiting yourself in any way is progress. I think I'll enjoy them that way

Where the fuck is that Citizen Kane Orsen Welles clapping .gif? Brilliant post.:awesome:

Moridin
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM
I WANNA HEAL
I WANNA FEEL
I SLIPPED ON A BANANA PEEL
I WATCH ALLY MCBEAL
MY FAVORITE ZOOLANDER FACE IS BLUE STEEL
I LIKE TO KNEEL
IN FRONT OF NEAL
AND REINVENT THE WHEEL
WHILE I EAT VEAL
WITH LOTS OF ZEAL
SOMEWHERE I BELOOOOOOOOOOOONG

OMG That was beautiful!
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldjuqqbmGo1qbch4xo1_400.jpg

Andreina
04-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I think you can
make an argument that they've
progressed by not consciously putting
themselves in a box like every other
album that wasn't Hybrid Theory.
Meteora's box was "be HT pt.2", MtM was that "not be like the old us" box
and ATS was "we're going to fuck with
everybody and not do any of the shit
that they expect of us". I believe that
they said that it exhausted the shit out
of them. Now they just make music that they
think sounds good. IMO not limiting yourself in any way is
progress. I think I'll enjoy them that
way

Brilliant post. Yeah I watched all 3 DVD's of Making Of for Meteora, MTM, and ATS today and it does seem this last process pushed the guys to their limits. And the "box" analogy really works now that you mention it, not necessarily at the "make another HT" point of view but the fact that they have deliberately dismissed anything that sounded familiar.

We still have 11 more songs to listen to, I would like people to give it a chance, many around here have even though they don't fancy BID, but to diss on a whole record based on one song or the titles is not worthy yet.

So bring on June 26th!

Xero21
04-17-2012, 01:19 AM

Except if you listen to Chester's interview with Zane Lowe, he talks about how the music for the next album started out as stuff like very folk-y and very electronic, but they purposefully pulled the songs back into less extreme territory. Is that not putting yourself in a box too?

Avo
04-17-2012, 01:50 AM
I don't understand how going back to somewhat more comfortable ground instead of experimenting more is considered progress. Progress is continuously pushing yourself even if it exhausts you.

Rocky
04-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Except if you listen to Chester's interview with Zane Lowe, he talks about how the music for the next album started out as stuff like very folk-y and very electronic, but they purposefully pulled the songs back into less extreme territory. Is that not putting yourself in a box too? You could say that, actually.

What's interesting though, is that their challenge for this album was to turn those folk or electro songs into something not so distinct and identifiable. So if they are in a box this time, it's a "not-be-in a box" box... lol. It's still a different and (IMO)progressive mindset and approach than their last 3 studio efforts

I don't understand how going back to somewhat more comfortable ground instead of experimenting more is considered progress. Progress is continuously pushing yourself even if it exhausts you.
Progress is whatever you feel is an improvement, so it sounds like what they are doing now is considered progress. Phoenix did say that they have still been experimenting, but they aren't looking for anything in particular in regards to sound, so eh...

Rahat
04-17-2012, 02:40 AM
It's a cool song over all and I have listened to it a few times. I feel like it will probably be a hit on the radio which would be a good thing for the band. I am hoping that the album isn't filled with songs like this though one or two is enough for me lol.

Ace31
04-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Going off what Mike wrote in his blog, to me it sounds like they're trying to use the best of what they learned over the years of experimenting to make a new album that will sound fresh and familiar at the same time.

Xero21
04-17-2012, 03:31 AM
What's interesting though, is that their challenge for this album was to turn those folk or electro songs into something not so distinct and identifiable.

Ehhhh come on now. :D that's a very optimistic way of looking at it. it seems to me like they pulled these songs back and Linkin-parkified or pop-rocked them.

But who knows. the album is still over 2 months away. I'm still cautiously optimistic about it.

deftonesfan867
04-17-2012, 04:06 AM
After giving it a few more listens, I love it.

Anyone who think's this isn't different from HT or Meteora clearly needs their ears checked.

Blake
04-17-2012, 04:07 AM
After giving it a few more listens, I love it.

Anyone who think's this isn't different from HT or Meteora clearly needs their ears checked.

IMO it could fit on MTM easily

deftonesfan867
04-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Perhaps, but I see it more as a mix of ATS and MTM which is exactly what I was hoping for.

mastae
04-17-2012, 04:25 AM
Burn It Down sounds very "predictable" for Linkin Park, and that by no means is a bad thing.

I enjoy the track, and I actually find it incredibly addicting. I really love the instrumental portion. The instrumental is actually where I feel Burn It Down shines. It's poppy, but it's very strong. Considering that Mike Shinoda recently had Lights on his "Best of 2011" list, when I heard this song, my thoughts immediately went to "This sounds like a Lights song done by Linkin Park," so it's easy to see where Mike is talking about how this album is getting back to "six guys who all like different kinds of music" making one mix of songs.

The lyrics have their moments, but aren't anything awe-inspiring. I like to view the song as Linkin Park's way of giving their fan base the finger again (like a more subtle WTCFM).

The track could have used more of a climax, though. The song feels very one-note, and with most LP songs (The Catalyst, What I've Done, hell, even One Step Closer) the songs reach some type of climax or denouement, and Burn It Down doesn't really have that.

I also don't care for Mike's part. It feels tacked on, and almost feels like it doesn't belong.

That being said, I think this album, as a whole, will be Linkin Park's safe album. I can't say whether it will be good or bad, but for the first time, I think, it's not guaranteed to be good, if that makes sense. With both MTM and ATS, we heard multiple times from all of LP about how much they wanted to step outside expectations, and they made music that seemed to transcend themselves, in my opinion. With LT, they said they found themselves comfortable in their own skin, and Mike has recently made a comment about how the songs are firecrackers, individual of one another, and relying on using past tools within their toolbox. Again, this is by no means a bad thing, but it does feel like we will be hearing Linkin Park songs that don't necessarily surprise us.

I hope I'm wrong, in that regard. Either way, though, I look forward to Living Things with optimism :)

Rosh
04-17-2012, 05:12 AM

That's a very harsh take on people's negative opinions. Their opinions are opinions. Nothing about some arbitrary standard.

shinformant
04-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Not like this is a progression anyway. Obviously it's the lead single so it isn't necessarily representative of how the whole album will sound, but it's not setting the best precedent.

Vriska
04-17-2012, 07:13 AM
That's a very harsh take on people's negative opinions. Their opinions are opinions. Nothing about some arbitrary standard.

+1.

They're also not opinions from the same people who complained during the last album or the album before that.

When you have a band that is constantly changing and switching back on itself, you're bound to have a broken base where one fragment isn't happy. The people who were happy with ATS are probably gonna switch with the people who hated ATS now, i bet.

op4blushift
04-17-2012, 07:17 AM
copy/paste from news thread:

The following is my own opinion, so don't get all riled up:

After the initial listen it sounds like a generic electro-pop song. The melody doesn't strike me... the chorus sounds very clunky and Mike's rapping bit seems forced and out of place. Production-wise it sounds formulaic/repetitive a la Meteora. Plus the lyrics are really simple.... seriously, I thought LP were done writing these type of lyrics back in 2003.

Overall it really left a bad taste in my mouth (or ears). Expected something more ambitious from LP.

I'd also like to add that The Catalyst to me is a million times better in every sense. I wish they'd kept walking down that road instead of making another radio-ready tune. Blah.

Exactly my thoughts.

I don't know exactly how I'd react if WFTE was the lead single, but I would take it ANYDAY over BID, BID is just so bland and just really doesn't do anything for me at all. WFTE, is probably the most mainstream song off ATS, but at the same time its just so refreshing and exciting compared to the rest of the stuff on the radio. The drums, the vocals (Chesters "holding on to what I haven't GOOOOT" at the end is just great, also the backing vocals are great) and Mike does some pretty cool rapping, which was completely unlike anything he had done before. The instrumentation is also very cool too (one of my favourite basslines from Phoenix, even though its quite simple, nice little synth guitar solo as well.)

Money Maker Mike
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Exactly my thoughts.

I don't know exactly how I'd react if WFTE was the lead single, but I would take it ANYDAY over BID, BID is just so bland and just really doesn't do anything for me at all. WFTE, is probably the most mainstream song off ATS, but at the same time its just so refreshing and exciting compared to the rest of the stuff on the radio. The drums, the vocals (Chesters "holding on to what I haven't GOOOOT" at the end is just great, also the backing vocals are great) and Mike does some pretty cool rapping, which was completely unlike anything he had done before. The instrumentation is also very cool too (one of my favourite basslines from Phoenix, even though its quite simple, nice little synth guitar solo as well.)

Agreed. and waiting for the end actually gives me goosebumps.

Promofrog
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Shinoda
Studies such as this one, conducted by the Warsaw University of Technology, found that people are more inclined to comment online if they have negative feelings about something. Contented people will not comment, discontented people will complain. And the negative thread is likely to grow longer and more extreme if the subject: a.) is opinion-based, b.) is emotional content, and/or c.) has a large following or draw. (For us: check, check, check…) Plus, adding the separation by the computer screen, people feel emboldened to speak freely and sometimes in a more exaggerated fashion.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18777589.jpg

+1.

They're also not opinions from the same people who complained during the last album or the album before that.

When you have a band that is constantly changing and switching back on itself, you're bound to have a broken base where one fragment isn't happy. The people who were happy with ATS are probably gonna switch with the people who hated ATS now, i bet.

Completely agree, I loved everything on ATS, I understand why people would like this song, but I don't like this as a Linkin Park song, which I know comes across as hypocritical for someone who supported Chester's comments on MOATS.
I mean it's not bad in my eyes, I didn't want to give that impression, I liked Lady Gaga's last album lol, so i'm not one of these "I hate mainstream!" guys, but this is overtly mainstream for Linkin Park, a good easy listen, but nowhere near what I think the guys could achieve.

shwcobb
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Not like this is a progression anyway. Obviously it's the lead single so it isn't necessarily representative of how the whole album will sound, but it's not setting the best precedent.
This

deftonesfan867
04-17-2012, 05:19 PM
+1.

Wanna bet?

I loved ATS and like this song.

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM

It is harsh, however truthful. I have heard countless arguements about how "I wish Linkin Park would sound like this," "Linkin Park would be better if" and "Linkin Park needs to do this." What's wrong with just letting them make what THEY want to make? They haven't let me down yet. Perhaps that's what I get for making an open minded conscious decision to grow with the band...

+1.

Don't generalize about the people who loved/hated ATS yet... We still have no idea what 11/12ths of the record is going to soundlike. Also, I do realize that people's opinions and mine are not always going to coincide. On the topic about the majority of Linkin Park fans, though, I guess again that it is my "burden" that I am fully happy with the band and wouldn't ask them to change a bit on how they create what they do. Most fans, on the other hand, want Linkin Park to be their Linkin Park.

Andreina
04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Don't generalize about the people who loved/hated ATS yet... We still have no idea what 11/12ths of the record is going to soundlike. Also, I do realize that people's opinions and mine are not always going to coincide. On the topic about the majority of Linkin Park fans, though, I guess again that it is my "burden" that I am fully happy with the band and wouldn't ask them to change a bit on how they create what they do. Most fans, on the other hand, want Linkin Park to be their Linkin Park.

^ This.

deftonesfan867
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
If you hold a band to a certain expectation chances are you'll be disappointed eventually.

Especially with Linkin Park.

Want them to end up like Limp Bizkit?

Because that shit would've happened if they kept doing the same thing over and over.

Oberyn
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
WFTE, would have been an awesome first single. Not as great as The Catalyst but great none the less. Waiting for the end, had a very different strong structure for the band and it showcased everyone's talents while also giving a hint as to the sound of the new album.

Rosh
04-17-2012, 06:05 PM
It is harsh, however truthful. I have heard countless arguements about how "I wish Linkin Park would sound like this," "Linkin Park would be better if" and "Linkin Park needs to do this." What's wrong with just letting them make what THEY want to make? They haven't let me down yet. Perhaps that's what I get for making an open minded conscious decision to grow with the band...

Nothing's wrong with it. But people are entitled to their opinions on how they would prefer the song to sound. I know myself, whenever I listen to music, I tend to think of ways to improve certain songs and I even play around with them on the computer to try different dynamics. Just because you like it and they haven't let you down yet, doesn't mean the rest of the fanbase has to be as fully supportive of all of their endeavors.

If someone doesn't like the song, they probably have a reason why, whether it be "I wish it didn't have rapping here" or "the synths here are too loud". They are FULLY entitled to their right to say that. It has nothing to do with "letting Linkin Park make the music they want to make". Well, duh, of course they're going to make the music they want to make. But saying that a song should have had one thing or wished it didn't have something else is purely a subjective concept that has no bearing as to whether Linkin Park is going to keep making the music they want to make. We just don't have to like everything that's put out.

Chris
04-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I've listened to it a couple times by now and the melody is very easy to remember, it really stays in your head. Not a BIG fan, it could have a tiny bit more guitar in it. It'll probably grow on me.

Agent Sideburns
04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Nothing's wrong with it. But people are entitled to their opinions on how they would prefer the song to sound. I know myself, whenever I listen to music, I tend to think of ways to improve certain songs and I even play around with them on the computer to try different dynamics. Just because you like it and they haven't let you down yet, doesn't mean the rest of the fanbase has to be as fully supportive of all of their endeavors.

If someone doesn't like the song, they probably have a reason why, whether it be "I wish it didn't have rapping here" or "the synths here are too loud". They are FULLY entitled to their right to say that. It has nothing to do with "letting Linkin Park make the music they want to make". Well, duh, of course they're going to make the music they want to make. But saying that a song should have had one thing or wished it didn't have something else is purely a subjective concept that has no bearing as to whether Linkin Park is going to keep making the music they want to make. We just don't have to like everything that's put out.

This to the fullest! The "What's wrong with just letting them make what THEY want to make?" argument is stupid.

Money Maker Mike
04-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I listened to this song on my studio monitors, and wow, it sounds totally different. There's so many layers to this song. The lyrics could be a lot better, but the instrumentation is really awesome.

Vriska
04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
This to the fullest! The "What's wrong with just letting them make what THEY want to make?" argument is stupid.
In this context between one fan and the band, yeah. But when people expect Linkin Park to make "songs fans like," which is an opinion that I have seen expressed many times over the past years, it's the best counter argument.

What I meant when I said broken base, was that Linkin Park fans no longer have any consensus on what they want Linkin Park to do. And it's only getting more fragmented from here. To say that Linkin Park should make music their fans like is a bit of a presumptuous statement, because every time I've seen it used, "fans" was just a thoughtless substitution of "people like me". The only reasonable opinion to have is to let the band make what they want. Yes, it may result in you not liking the band anymore, but at least you know they're being true to themselves, at least, and not pandering to a small and loud minority.

I was mainly going off of the interviews from the band as of late. ATS was a concept album, singular, unified and epic in theme and narrative. Living Things has been stated by the band to be the opposite: a disjointed set of radio singles designed so that they have something to play live again. They are opposite and I bet people who were really really into one are not going to be impressed by the other.

I am hoping that there are some fun and catchy songs I like, but I have already lowered my expectations. Just from Mike's description, I already know LT has lost the fight for my fav LP album.

Hybrid
04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Kathy, you make several good points. I do realize that I'm not the average fan. There are very few "people like me." I came to the LPA knowing that, and I've been beating my own drum since. I've been labelled here by some as a "superfan," a "fanboy," and on one account a "dickriding teeniebopper." I really don't care because I am still being me. I consider Linkin Park's art and music to be a part of me that continuously grows. If anyone wants to put a label on me for that, then super. All that I know is that I am going to keep my senses stimulated with what makes me happy. As far as whatever subjective point I was trying to convey here, consider this post the point at which fucks no longer are given.

shinformant
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't "want" anything from them, but as long as they're putting their songs out there for consumption I'm entitled to my opinion and to voice it. If you love everything they do, fantastic. I'm not doubting your sincerity so please do not doubt mine, and if you're aware that it's just the opinion of some guy on the internet treat it as such.

RoyHahn
04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Itunes sais: 25 times listend now. (And I heard it like 25 additional times on Linkin Parks Youtube-page). It needed that much to really get into it, but i woke up today having chesters bridge lines in the head. The bridge is the best of this song to my mind. I love it how he sings "And you where there at the turn, caught in the burning glow. And I was there at the turn, waiting to let you know." It's not as striking as The Catalysts "Lift me up, let me go.", but I really love it.

soun'wave
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
after a few days listening to it i keep coming back to it, its growing alot actually, it doesn't seem less bland now .. just more like an american coldplay song

Arjun
04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
just love it.....mustve played more than 50 times.

Faint into Pieces
04-18-2012, 02:21 PM
This song actually seems to be getting better and better the more times I play it. I really get into the beat of the song, and the build-up in the intro is fantastic.

And I've found the song is 100x better cranked the fuck up on either a solid pair of headphones or blasting out of a car stereo. It feeds on that high volume energy.

Overall it's nothing amazing, but you can't expect every single to come out of this band to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. That's not how singles (especially lead singles) work ladies and gentlemen. The Catalyst was the exception to this rule.

Pyro
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I've listened to it multiple times and unlike The Catalyst, Burn It Down is not growing on me. It's an okay song but I don't get the vibe that I get from singles in the previous albums. I hope the other songs in the album aren't like BID. It gets a 6/10 from me.

Money Maker Mike
04-19-2012, 03:02 AM
I've listened to it multiple times and unlike The Catalyst, Burn It Down is not growing on me. It's an okay song but I don't get the vibe that I get from singles in the previous albums. I hope the other songs in the album aren't like BID. It gets a 6/10 from me.

Same here. Its not rly so appealing to me. Mikes rap make me cringey, which has never occured to me before. No offence mike, but you really have to go back to the xero days of bigger words and ryhmes JUST A BIT. I'm sure there are others who disagree though.

Star Scream
04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
it's the only song I've been listening to since it came out. it's so epic and every time you listen to it you hear a wide variations of sounds that make you like the song even more :awesome:

Ben
04-19-2012, 03:58 AM
it's the only song I've been listening to since it came out. it's so epic and every time you listen to it you hear a wide variations of sounds that make you like the song even more :awesome:

Right? My playlist in the car at the moment consists of Burn It Down, Razors.Out, and Devil's Den by Skrillex. Fucking off the chain playlist if I do say so myself.

minuteforce
04-19-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm fucking hooked on "Burn It Down". So catchy. Struggling to not overplay it before I get to hear the album. :) I feel the chorus is a little lacking but, on the whole, it's not bad and I'm definitely still excited for the album.

Promofrog
04-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Same here. Its not rly so appealing to me. Mikes rap make me cringey, which has never occured to me before. No offence mike, but you really have to go back to the xero days of bigger words and ryhmes JUST A BIT. I'm sure there are others who disagree though.

I honestly think Mike should quit with the slow rapping now, it was good when it was quick and aggressive on Hybrid Theory, good on Bleed It Out, but he just seems to be trying this Jay-Z shit where you rap really off beat, talk to the music and try to make it cool, When They Come For Me is such a good beat but it's like getting a blowjob while being punched in the face with his rapping over it..
I honestly think Mike lost it rap-wise since Hybrid Theory, as I said Bleed It Out is the only exception (which he was made to rewrite many times by the rest of the band)
I love Mike, but the rapping needs to go for me.

It sounds especially wrong on Burn It Down, I mean the Beastie Boys are still kicking his ass now and how old are they? Anybody could do those verses, no creativity in those rap verses at all, we need more rap like Forgotten, With You..

I feel really bad for saying all of this but it's been on my mind for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_MxGLT7TI

Mike basically commited rap suicide when he agreed to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxzRYMrcVc

..and another thing, I don't know how long it took them to edit the video to We Made It but that shit is horrible, they even sync up Busta Rhymes with Mike's vocals on a couple of places.. WTF?!

minuteforce
04-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I also am underwhelmed by the phrasing in Shinoda's rap verse, I have to admit. It's really, like, choppy and awkward to me

Ben
04-19-2012, 04:04 AM
I would agree that the chorus is the one part that could use a little fine tuning. One thing I loved about New Divide was that the chorus was pretty long, and they managed to change it up between Chorus 1 (whole thing) and Chorus 2 (only the first half - into bridge after), and then a little more change in Chorus 3 with just guitars (no drums / bass behind it). They definitely just copy/pasted the same chorus in there a few times except for the end when he hits the high note.

Overall I'm with you though. Fucking love the song. Top 10 for sure.

Gloomy Mushroom
04-19-2012, 04:08 AM
It reminds me of Gaga's music. <3

lpfanhun
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I like this song so much. Top 10 LP song for me. And I will love more after the music video come out.

SuperDude526
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I haven't gotten tired of it, that's for sure. I didn't with Dream Theater's premiere single for ADTOE, so I guess that's a good sign for the impending album.

Clever Name
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree with Promofrog, about his rap verses..

Shame this is a demo, but yeah, I agree. I miss this style of rapping from Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vug-1bAyo

HybridBharath
04-22-2012, 11:40 AM
This is the first song from LP that makes me go "meh". The verses sung by Chester is the best thing about this song. The music has no variation. It stays the same throughout the whole song. And mike's rap is quite boring...He can do better. It's interesting because this is the first LP song i'm critical about, but for Rolling Stones, who have hated everything from LP before this, are praising Burn It Down.

I still have faith in Living Things and do look forward to it.

snailharvest
04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
My iTunes play count is 1567..
Nuff' Said.

shwcobb
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
My iTunes play count is 1567..
Nuff' Said.
:WTF:

snailharvest
04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
:WTF:

Would you like a screenshot?

Xodus
04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I like but don't love this song. It sort of reminds me of Somewhere I Belong where it feels like a step back from their previous album (BID is still infinitely better than SIB though). BID isn't a bad song by any means but it does lack a certain edge that nearly every song on ATS had (save for Robot Boy which is among my least favorite LP songs). The lyrics are pretty bland and this is certainly one of Mike's weaker raps of his career. I do miss the days of HT and Reanimation when Mike would consistently rip ship up with his raps (In the End, Forgotten-and the even more brilliant raps on the remixes of those songs, With You, APFMH, It's Goin' Down, High Voltage). It's a safe song and they're a bit on some "What I've Done shit" with this one. But I can deal with it if this is the only song that feels so safe.

I really hope Mike gets more energetic and daring with his rapping on this album, though. I enjoyed his work on WTCM and Wretches and King but they still pale in comparison to his best work.

Grizzly Bear
04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I like it. It's catchy, almost dance-able, and the electronic synthesizer makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I don't really care for the lyrics, so the album might fall short of impressing me if the rest of the songs follow the theme of relationship problems.

Robert
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I like but don't love this song. It sort of reminds me of Somewhere I Belong where it feels like a step back from their previous album (BID is still infinitely better than SIB though). BID isn't a bad song by any means but it does lack a certain edge that nearly every song on ATS had (save for Robot Boy which is among my least favorite LP songs). The lyrics are pretty bland and this is certainly one of Mike's weaker raps of his career. I do miss the days of HT and Reanimation when Mike would consistently rip ship up with his raps (In the End, Forgotten-and the even more brilliant raps on the remixes of those songs, With You, APFMH, It's Goin' Down, High Voltage). It's a safe song and they're a bit on some "What I've Done shit" with this one. But I can deal with it if this is the only song that feels so safe.

I really hope Mike gets more energetic and daring with his rapping on this album, though. I enjoyed his work on WTCM and Wretches and King but they still pale in comparison to his best work.

Wait till you hear Lost in the Echo...

Super Sonic
04-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Wait till you hear Lost in the Echo...

Have you heard it?

hybridsoldier1989
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Have you heard it?

Probably not. Just going on the 717L3 and the d35cr1p710n.

'Cuz those two indicators have never been wrong before!

Agent Sideburns
04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Well the song definitely hasn't grown on me. If anything it has already become quite forgettable in the span of a week.

Super Sonic
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Probably not. Just going on the 717L3 and the d35cr1p710n.

'Cuz those two indicators have never been wrong before!

My point exactly.

Jack_Farrell
04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Well the song definitely hasn't grown on me. If anything it has already become quite forgettable in the span of a week.

I like the song, but between the weekend and today, I've heard it only 10 times. Need more LP goodness.

Blake
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Top 10 LP song for me

Snail
04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
I honestly think Mike should quit with the slow rapping now, it was good when it was quick and aggressive on Hybrid Theory, good on Bleed It Out, but he just seems to be trying this Jay-Z shit where you rap really off beat, talk to the music and try to make it cool,

Agreed. Mike had already established a style of which he could call his own prior to the slight mimicking of Jay-Z's style, and it couldn't be any more apparent with his rapping on 'Burn It Down'.

D1b08bRBoiE

^ I don't think it would be a step backwards by any means if Mike Shinoda went rapid-fire with his rap once more. But of course, this style of execution most likely does not appeal to Mike Shinoda no longer as the past few years have shown us.

Xero21
04-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Same. I haven't even taken the time to download the song for free. I just don't want it.

Money Maker Mike
04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
I honestly think Mike should quit with the slow rapping now, it was good when it was quick and aggressive on Hybrid Theory, good on Bleed It Out, but he just seems to be trying this Jay-Z shit where you rap really off beat, talk to the music and try to make it cool, When They Come For Me is such a good beat but it's like getting a blowjob while being punched in the face with his rapping over it..
I honestly think Mike lost it rap-wise since Hybrid Theory, as I said Bleed It Out is the only exception (which he was made to rewrite many times by the rest of the band)
I love Mike, but the rapping needs to go for me.

It sounds especially wrong on Burn It Down, I mean the Beastie Boys are still kicking his ass now and how old are they? Anybody could do those verses, no creativity in those rap verses at all, we need more rap like Forgotten, With You..

I feel really bad for saying all of this but it's been on my mind for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_MxGLT7TI

Mike basically commited rap suicide when he agreed to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxzRYMrcVc

..and another thing, I don't know how long it took them to edit the video to We Made It but that shit is horrible, they even sync up Busta Rhymes with Mike's vocals on a couple of places.. WTF?!

I actually think WTCFM has pretty good rapping, but I know what you mean. He really needs to go back to his MC roots. Remember the xero days? His rapping was on the top level.

I miss rapping like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcPHtgN9TY

Andreina
04-24-2012, 05:27 PM
High Voltage is one of my all time favorites. And I wouldn't mind Mike making a few quick-paced rap songs on the future.

And as for BURN IT DOWN, I like the rapping, it's slow definitely but I think that the attitude on which he delivers the lines make it up for me, it's kinda emphatic I don't know, that's the impression I get, and I love the song.

I wouldn't describe how much I like the song in terms of how many times I've repeated it, because I don't do that, I can only play the same song twice, three times in case I'm learning the lyrics, but that's it. I like the song but it won't take long playtime, I vary my playlist a lot. Some people like a song and they keep playing it over and over and over, I can't.

RapidGunner
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, according to me, this is a GOOD song. That's it. It's just harmless, energetic electronic rock music. As almost everyone is saying, it sounds pretty similar to the "What I've Done" brand of songs that they do (WID, New Divide, BITS), and its not necessarily a bad thing. They are pretty good at writing catchy, "compact" songs like this (that's what made them popular in the first place).
My ONLY problem with this song is the "drums". I mean, where on earth is Rob nowadays? Is he even in the band anymore? :( Why are electronic drums being used as a replacement, instead of an addition?
They should combine drum programming with real drums, Like they did on the first two albums... Now THAT'S something I'd love to see being re-used from the :toolbox:

Minus
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, according to me, this is a GOOD song. That's it. It's just harmless, energetic electronic rock music. As almost everyone is saying, it sounds pretty similar to the "What I've Done" brand of songs that they do (WID, New Divide, BITS), and its not necessarily a bad thing. They are pretty good at writing catchy, "compact" songs like this (that's what made them popular in the first place).
My ONLY problem with this song is the "drums". I mean, where on earth is Rob nowadays? Is he even in the band anymore? :( Why are electronic drums being used as a replacement, instead of an addition?
They should combine drum programming with real drums, Like they did on the first two albums... Now THAT'S something I'd love to see being re-used from the :toolbox:

http://www.pmtmanchester.co.uk/pmtonline/st/22250.jpg

This is an electronic drum kit. Any questions?

Hybrid
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Rob was the one that said "I think using an electric drum kit would really fit what we are going for in the song."

Minus
04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Rob was the one that said "I think using an electric drum kit would really fit what we are going for in the song."

I don't think he knows what an electronic drum kit IS.

The Prisoner
04-24-2012, 09:17 PM

I thought he uses an ipad. 0o

Minus
04-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I thought he uses an ipad. 0o

My quote was referencing the person Hybrid quoted, not Rob himself. Just as clarification.

The Prisoner
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
My quote was referencing the person Hybrid quoted, not Rob himself. Just as clarification.

it was nearly impossible to realize that...˛

Minus
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM
it was nearly impossible to realize that...˛

I realize that. Hence the clarification. The joys of being brain-dead from a day of office work.

The Prisoner
04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
I realize that. Hence the clarification. The joys of being brain-dead from a day of office work.

sidenote: It's really hard to address dry irony without emotions in the internet. It's quite a challenge to establish an irony-context without smiles and that shit in a written-conversation.

PS: your new pic is sweet. (no irony :D)

RapidGunner
04-25-2012, 04:45 AM

Real mature, sir.

I'm a musician. I've USED an Electronic Drum Kit from time to time.
I think you misread my point. I wanted to say that LP is using ONLY electronic drums since a while. Which is why people are complaining about the blandness of this song. An acoustic drum set has wonderful dynamics and a good drummer like Rob is being underutilised playing repetitive electronic beats with drum triggers. There is reason why songs like "Lockjaw" and "TLTGYA" sound awesome. They had a combination of the electronic influences and "normal" drumming.

And yes, I know that Rob plays all the parts himself live. But does he do it in the studio? I'm pretty sure the drums in this song have been PROGRAMMED, not played. THAT is my point. 90% of the "organic" sound of a band comes from its drums.

A great example - "15 Step" by Radiohead. It's a masterpiece, and the reason for its AMAZING sound is the genius combination of programming by Jonny and "real" drum playing by Phil.

Rocky
04-25-2012, 05:50 AM
I wanted to say that LP is using ONLY electronic drums since a while.
Which is untrue. There were 9 songs on ATS and 5 featured actual drum playing, 3 electronic, and one song with no drumming at all. Burn it down does feature live drums, but I like the fact that they aren't brought up front in the mix. The song already reminds me enough of New Divide..

Top2Bottom
04-25-2012, 06:20 AM
I like it. But it does have the feeling of a deliberate single.

It's been made for the masses, make no mistake about it.

Still, there's a hook that I can't shake. It's been the only song in my head for the last couple of weeks. As simple as the lyrics are, there's something touching about them. Chester delivers as well as ever. But Mike's rap feels like it has been put there to keep some people happy.

THE STARKINATOR
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Not a big fan of the outro of this song. Bit awkward IMO.

Minus
04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Real mature, sir.

I'm a musician. I've USED an Electronic Drum Kit from time to time.
I think you misread my point. I wanted to say that LP is using ONLY electronic drums since a while. Which is why people are complaining about the blandness of this song. An acoustic drum set has wonderful dynamics and a good drummer like Rob is being underutilised playing repetitive electronic beats with drum triggers. There is reason why songs like "Lockjaw" and "TLTGYA" sound awesome. They had a combination of the electronic influences and "normal" drumming.

And yes, I know that Rob plays all the parts himself live. But does he do it in the studio? I'm pretty sure the drums in this song have been PROGRAMMED, not played. THAT is my point. 90% of the "organic" sound of a band comes from its drums.

A great example - "15 Step" by Radiohead. It's a masterpiece, and the reason for its AMAZING sound is the genius combination of programming by Jonny and "real" drum playing by Phil.

You'll apologize if I took the condescending stance. Ask anyone here how many people I've had to teach about electronic drum kits (i.e. Didn't know they existed or what they did). Too many to count. I'm a musician as well.

There are instances where you can hear the live drumming in BID. But I'm going to agree with Rocky here in that the song doesn't really ask for a more prevalent mix of them. It would sound, in my opinion, awkward.

deftonesfan867
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Only been using electronic drums and yet you claim to be a musician?

I don't even...

Someone needs to get their ears checked.

Also IIRC in a chat Rob said on the new album he wanted to make it harder to tell which drums were live vs. sampled.

Hybrid
04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
It would sound, in my opinion, awkward.

I agree with this which is why I think Rob intended the drums to sound the way they do.

Also IIRC in a chat Rob said on the new album he wanted to make it harder to tell which drums were live vs. sampled.

I think it is cool to have a drummer that thinks outside of the kit. Not very many drummers will think about playing an electronic kit on a song because "real" drums sound out of place. Also as a side note, because they are electronic doesn't mean that they are sampled in a loop to create a track entirely without the drummer playing anything. I know it's not your thought, M, but it has been implied that Shinoda or Hahn did all of the "drum work" in the song. I don't think that's the case at all.

The Prisoner
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd rather be happy, if they held on to the complex song structures of ATS and combining these with the "sound" of HT, instead of
returing to the strucutres of HT/Meteora with the sound of ATS.

Don't get me wrong I really like eelctronic music in general, though what i've been primary enjoying on ATS were the structering concepts of the songs. (except W&K and The Messenger) If they ditched the complex strucutres in favor of Meteora structures this would be a fail, imo.

i knew this was mentioned many times before, but to me Burn it Down sounds like a fresh-2012 version of What I've Done. Burn It Down would have been an excellent song if it had came out at the same time as New Divide.