PDA

View Full Version : "Kenji" poorly written?

Gloomy Mushroom
04-09-2012, 07:01 AM
I was having this discussion, well brief, with Pidgeon on FB. But do you think Kenji was poorly written?

Philsfan
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't think so. He was able to convey the feelings of his relatives without being biased (explaining the Japanese-Americans' true intentions whilst not criticizing Americans). Yes, it might sound a little awkward, but we all know Mike wasn't that much of an amazing lyricist yet.

"Petrified" was the one with the poorly written lyrics.

Gloomy Mushroom
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
So if that be the case. Meteora was written by him. :trollface:

Rocky
04-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I think Mike could have written a better song. The thing is, the camps were as bad as living in a homeless shelter, which means that it wasn't THAT bad. The fucked up part was the reason why they were there and the aftermath once released. I think that's why I feel that the beginning/end of Kenji had more of an emotional pull.

Do I think that it is poorly written? No, but it isn't great.

IMO the most poorly written song from Mike is BTH

Pidgeon
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
The whole album has these moments, like a line will come up and it just doesn't fit. Kenji is one of the worst culprits. You know? It just has some awkward lines

hawk.
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Kenji is pro.

Kevin
04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Kenji is a good song and what is important is the message.
A friend of mine who have never heard of Linkin Park or Fort Minor teared up when I first played him the song, so I would say it's written wery well.

Money Maker Mike
04-09-2012, 08:00 PM
It's pretty good actually. Not bad, but it could've been much better. It's too simplistic for the type of song imo.

Mike's best lyrics in fort minor was Where'd you go hands down.

Vriska
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Pretty much everything fits except for the flow.

Some of the words aren't meshing together musically as well as they could be.

Jack_Farrell
04-09-2012, 09:07 PM
It's pretty good actually. Not bad, but it could've been much better. It's too simplistic for the type of song imo.

No way.

This:

"I guess I've had it with you and your career,
When you come back I won't be here,
And you can sing it."

can't compare to this (Spraypain & Inkpens):

"In the box was a bullet made of gold
Melted down from the ring, recast with two rings and a band
And he stared at it sitting in the palm of his hand
And sat down next to a picture that sat on the nightstand
It was his wife in the picture on his side
With the ring on the finger on the week that she died
As he looked in the reflection, at those eyes so red
He put the bullet in a gun and put it right in his head"

You can say it's your favourite, but definitely not his best lyrics. They're subpar, just like Coming Home, which also features Holly Brook.

Pidgeon
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Pretty much everything fits except for the flow.

Some of the words aren't meshing together musically as well as they could be.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to say

Geki
04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I think Kenji is amazing. I actually did a project for History in 10th grade, based off of Japanese Internment and I used the lyrics to this song. I got an A. I think it's a deep, very personal song. The Militia exclusive version better helps to describe it though, IMO.

Scott D
04-16-2012, 01:48 AM
No way.

This:

"I guess I've had it with you and your career,
When you come back I won't be here,
And you can sing it."

can't compare to this (Spraypain & Inkpens):

"In the box was a bullet made of gold
Melted down from the ring, recast with two rings and a band
And he stared at it sitting in the palm of his hand
And sat down next to a picture that sat on the nightstand
It was his wife in the picture on his side
With the ring on the finger on the week that she died
As he looked in the reflection, at those eyes so red
He put the bullet in a gun and put it right in his head"

You can say it's your favourite, but definitely not his best lyrics. They're subpar, just like Coming Home, which also features Holly Brook.
I don't know if you know this but you're comparing a part of a verse to a pre-chorus.

Pidgeon
04-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't know if you know this but you're comparing a part of a verse to a pre-chorus.

What does that matter

hybridsoldier1989
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Who cares about lyrics?

That bass line is sexy.

Jack_Farrell
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

"Some days I feel like shit, some days I wanna quit,
And just be normal for a bit,

I find myself tryin' to stay by the phone,
'Cause your voice always helps me and I feel not so alone,
But I feel like an idiot, working my day around a call,
That when I pick up I don't have much to say, so"

How about this? You can't tell me Spraypaint's lyrics aren't better. These are sub-par lyrics.

Gloomy Mushroom
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
"Some days I feel like shit, some days I wanna quit,
And just be normal for a bit,

I find myself tryin' to stay by the phone,
'Cause your voice always helps me and I feel not so alone,
But I feel like an idiot, working my day around a call,
That when I pick up I don't have much to say, so"

How about this? You can't tell me Spraypaint's lyrics aren't better. These are sub-par lyrics.

You dont need thesaurus raping lyrics to make a good song.

Rocky
04-16-2012, 04:17 PM

I just don't feel that the songs are comparable. They are trying to do two different things. One is telling narrating a story and the other is a regular person telling someone how they feel. They both get the job done pretty well. WYG makes people cry and SP&IP makes people go OH MY GOD.

The SP&IP verse is a better comparison to Kenji.

Andreina
04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I think Kenji is a great song, it illustrates an experience that was relatively close to him and his heritage. To me that song is like a story, as he points out in the beginning and I really like its buildup, it is one of the very few LP related songs that tear me up and continues to do so depending on my mood, especifically on the part from "Ken got out" and on, it brings up my emotions and my imagination starts flowing, picturing the scenes in my mind.

Blake
04-17-2012, 02:24 AM
I think its amazingly written

Rahat
04-17-2012, 02:39 AM
The song is great overall especially towards the end. The songs on the album in general didn't have the best lyrics. The mixtape however was filled with some great lines from Mike. I think overall with the album he was still in his "keep it simple" phase.

Agent O
04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
The whole album has these moments, like a line will come up and it just doesn't fit. Kenji is one of the worst culprits. You know? It just has some awkward lines

This.

I remember the first time listening to Kenji and a few lines jumped out at me that made me go "eh?". It's not bad, but it could've been written a lot better.

Vdalem
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Well I just believe he didn't write it for us. It's part of his history.

Agent O
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Well I just believe he didn't write it for us. It's part of his history.

It could have still been written better, despite it being personal to him.

Pidgeon
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Lol yeah, I don't see what it being personal to him has to do with the fact that there are out of place lines

ReflectionistBaz
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Wtf did I miss something? Since when is Kenji or BTH poorly written?!

Vdalem
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM

:P It's till for him and his family. *shrugs* Touchy!

Minus
04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
:P It's till for him and his family. *shrugs* Touchy!

This post could've been written better. :trollface:

ernieball003
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
:P It's till for him and his family. *shrugs* Touchy!So that's a valid excuse to write poorly?

Vdalem
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll ask him that when I see him again. Oh wait! I never meet him at all. *shrugs* Oh well

shwcobb
04-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Kenji is pro.
What he said

SuperDude526
05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
I think it's a great song, although I don't think the part where he describes a dream he has was all that necessary. He could've been like "Listen to this story, now let's go back to '42." (I can't write lyrics, but you get the idea)

Andreina
05-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Maybe he liked the rawness of the song, who knows if these lyrics weren't worked into as much as the rest, maybe he decided to let them as natural as they came (in case they were) instead of thinking too much about perfecting and take some of the feeling away from the song for the sake of technique. I don't know.

BTW SuperDude, I watched your avatar while listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yt092LHHEGg#t=208s) and it was so hilarious.

SuperDude526
05-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Pleasure to be of service. :lol:

theycallmepraya
05-07-2012, 04:22 AM
I felt like the vast majority of FM was poorly written. It was very soft and I was hoping we'd get more High Voltage (piano version) and Dedicated type agressive-ness and lyrical punches. But things were pretty soft. There's even a Grindtime Rap Battle (world famous battle league) where some pretty big battle rappers (who's names slip me right now) call one of the dudes soft by saying his rhymes sound like they were written by Fort Minor. I think we all know Mike is a dope MC. Songs like Spray Paint and Ink Pens really bring that out in him. But I feel like he kind of got swamped by this need to sound commercial/poppy.

Arun1910
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I loved Fort Minor as a whole and loved Kenji even more, to me it's the most powerful song on the album. It talks about struggle and trying to keep your family together and love. I think it's brilliant

Justin V.
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Don't forget that Kenji has a very odd structure which lent itself to very awkward phrasing. It has two bars of 4/4 then a bar of 6/4. That bar of 6/4 is really what gives it that kind of awkward feel with the last lines.

LiesGreedMisery
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Don't forget that Kenji has a very odd structure which lent itself to very awkward phrasing. It has two bars of 4/4 then a bar of 6/4. That bar of 6/4 is really what gives it that kind of awkward feel with the last lines.

Yeah, that's the thing; if it's written "awkwardly" at all, it's because it has a more awkward and unusual song structure. I like it a lot, though; the lyrics may be a bit simplistic, but you can tell Mike poured a lot of emotion into that song. I actually listened to it while I was at Pearl Harbor reading this pamphlet about the internment camps, and it was freakishly powerful. Good stuff.

Top2Bottom
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I've always thought Kenji was written well. It gets me "picturing the scene" very well and it's easy to get lost in the story. I think it holds a very special meaning for Mike and his family.

On the debate over what song was best written though, I've always loved Right Now. That's probably my favourite song on the album.

uZu
06-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Kenji is great song.With good lyrics(it's my opinion and i don't force anyone to share it)

StaticOnTheWay
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
IMO High Road is one of the better written songs on Rising Tied

Blake
06-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Just read thread and I agree. Where'd you Go had best lyrics easily in my opinion. For a long time, it was one my favorite songs of all time. Everything about it is Amazing

Agent O
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Right Now is the best song on the album imo, in terms of everything starting from lyrics, beat, concept and emotional appeal. Black Thought whipped out a cracking verse for that!

Filip
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
IMO High Road is one of the better written songs on Rising Tied

This.

LPChris
06-26-2012, 05:40 PM
No, Kenji was not poorly written. It's incredibly difficult to write a rap based on chronological events and stories, especially when the entire rap has to revolve around an uncommon theme (internment camps).

It's an excellent song.

As for my favorite Fort Minor song, that has to be "Be Somebody" feat. Lupe Fiasco. I FREAKIN LOVE THAT SONG!

Babali
07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I like all the unique and interesting phrasing, I don't find any of it awkward or poorly written.

Also, I agree that High Road and Be Somebody are two of the better songs. Although I think John Legend and Lupe Fiasco lend a lot to that. Where'd You Go, Believe Me, Remember The Time and Petrified are more pop oriented tracks. I enjoy almost all the songs for different reasons, it's a lot easier to pick out my least favorite which is Cigarettes.

Filip
07-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I like all the unique and interesting phrasing, I don't find any of it awkward or poorly written.

Also, I agree that High Road and Be Somebody are two of the better songs. Although I think John Legend and Lupe Fiasco lend a lot to that. Where'd You Go, Believe Me, Remember The Time and Petrified are more pop oriented tracks. I enjoy almost all the songs for different reasons, it's a lot easier to pick out my least favorite which is Cigarettes.

Cigarettes is awesome in my opinion.

Pidgeon
07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

No way dude, cigarettes is a masterpiece compared to kenji. The writing is so much better.

Filip
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I hate when I listen to Kenji, and I think of a better rhyme than the one used in the song...

rundown228
07-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Well not every song on an album will be a masterpiece. I thought it was OKAY.

Then again, a good song with a war-ish tone is Hands Held High.... Even though it's an LP song, and not just a Mike song. :p