PDA

View Full Version : Custom User Titles Now Available To ALL Members

Derek
03-28-2010, 02:40 AM
For those who have not already noticed the change, we are pleased to announce that effective immediately, the 1000 post requirement to have custom member titles is no longer in effect. Although the default user titles for each post group will still show for those without custom titles, those wishing to update the title underneath their user name may now do so by clicking on "Settings" and then "Edit Profile" and entering a custom title in the "Custom User Title" field, then clicking "Save Changes" to save the new title.

While this update is in itself a very small change, we hope that by providing this option to our members it will serve to make the forums more enjoyable for all! Thanks for joining LPA!

Louis
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, so you had to wait until after I had several thousand posts to do this? This is a conspiracy. I will revolt.

This is cool, btw. :P

El Muerto
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Merry Christmas!

Disturbedthoughts
03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Oh...that's really cool. Thank ya.

wiiesel
03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks again for doing me that favor! :)

$pvcxGhxztCasey
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
let's make everyone a supermember next!

Jordan
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
let's make everyone a supermember next!

may as well make everyone a VIP while we're at it.

Derek
03-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Casey, is there anything about these boards that you don't feel the need to contest or complain about? It doesn't matter what we implement, or what we do to have fun around here...you always have to get in the last word about everything, and your last word is usually always sarcastic or rude. Your posts bring down threads sometimes, plus you say you want to be staff but you can't even respect the site you're on? Come on now.

And Jordan, I'm sorry you don't like the change either, but we did this change to make these forums more inviting.

To be honest I don't get some of the attitude/disrespect in this thread (and other places around the forum). I know without a doubt that we are better to our members than any other fansite out there. I've seen other sites tell people to "fuck off" when bad opinions are given, but we'd never do that here. Everything we do here (4Play, these changes etc) is for the members. This fansite has always tried to do everything we do with our visitors in mind, and we can only hope people appreciate what we do, because we do it for them.

$pvcxGhxztCasey
03-30-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm just of the opinion that some things are in place to motivate the new members to post more often and work towards a "goal", no matter how petty that goal may be (and it's a big one, i admit). I just think after all this high traffic dies down, some of the decisions won't be so well thought of after the thought. there's plenty of things i like about the site, although 4Play isn't quite what i thought or hoped it would be, it's still cool that regular members get to interact in a virtual word, like a Grand Theft Auto, and just have fun (even though you aren't a celebrity, it's kinda weird. but so is my complaint about the 1000th post reward :P)

as for me being apart of the staff.. i gave that up a long time ago. i don't really have anything to offer this site besides suggestions that are ultimately never well received, and i don't really care about the namesake of this message board anymore. in the end, it's just a website. you can do alot of things to increase traffic for right now, but it'll never last. there will always be periods of inactivity, but i'm sure you realize that.

anyway. carry on here. i'll keep it to myself now.

Kęton
03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Casey, we're not discouraging you or any of our members from stating how they feel about things. However, it's hard to ignore the fact you're often pretty pessimistic about the things we've tried to do for the site and community over the years. While we welcome our members to express themselves and let us know how they feel about changes and additions made to the site, we cannot make any progress if all we're getting is negativity and pessimism from our members. We care about the site, we care about our members and we're always trying to show our appreciation for those who take the time to post here.

Personally, I find it odd (yet humorous) how you assumed the motive behind 4Play was to categorize ourselves as "celebrities" or anything of the like. :lol: However, it's that type of... err, thinking that never crossed our minds during the brainstorming period of the project. I'd say despite it being worded a little rude, that it's an interesting perspective and something we can take into account in the future. Perhaps it's not that your ideas are never well received, it's just that you don't take the time to word them properly? Just a thought. :)

Jordan
03-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Weren't some members pushing for another user class not too long ago? Pretty sure most of those members have left now, but, while i didn't really agree with the issue then, user classes seem to give more incentive to post more often, eventually as a result getting to know people on the forums better, contributing more. I thought it was fun to move up the user title ranks before i hit 1000, and then it seemed like an achievement to have a custom user title. So taking away these goals doesn't seem like a really healthy thing for the forum.

Derek
03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Your points are definitely solid Jordan and we appreciate you taking the time to express how you feel. Like Keaton said, we cannot grow as a community if people don't elaborate more on what they don't like (instead of just simply trashing an idea), so thank you.

As for taking a goal away...we already are looking for new things to offer to VIPers and new incentives to have a higher post count around here (new member groups etc). We will definitely keep you all posted when those are finalized.

Tomi
06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I'd personally say removing the 1000 post requirement wasn't the smartest idea. I remember when I was active, I liked striving for those goals, hence why I was so active. My suggestion: implement an additional user class (6k posts?) and add special forums for the special classes (not just for VIP, but also super members, and the additional class). Also, give them secret benefits. Don't publicly advertise what they are, people will strive for the classes out of curiosity to find out what awaits. The reason I say add special forums is that there's nothing exciting going on here in the forums, you seem to be adding things around the site, but the forums themselves, where you appear to want activity, are left untouched (skins don't matter). Also, on another site I'm at, the layout of the forum makes those titles pretty prominent, and only the highest classes can have them.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my suggestions, I just thought I'd give a perspective from my activity on other forums, and how I perceive things as an inactive member here. I personally lost interest here since I don't think anything has really changed since I've left, so there's nothing really exciting. Contests and other website content doesn't interest me either, and this goes for a lot of people.

Oh, and don't just knock Casey and others down because they're "always pessimistic". They have a valid point... also, publicly addressing those comments in the forum casts some pretty strong negativity in this thread, no wonder you don't have positivity. Just saying... again, don't mean to offend, just pointing it out.

Derek
06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
For a while there we were going through a very rough patch with forum traffic and the forums were going without any activity for sometimes several hours. We had to do something, and we felt that giving some benefits right upon sign up would help that. Granted, we're not sure if they have...but we do know that recent contests/promotions on the site have helped spur activity and we are definitely busier. We did what we thought would be best, and while in retrospect it might not be the best idea...it's what we thought would work at the time.

However, even though we did this kind of by surprise, that doesn't mean that we aren't listening to what people are saying in here :). In regards to your suggestions, they are definitely very solid. We've always been open to suggestions from our members as to how we can improve these forums/make them better, and we'll take your suggestions to heart and consider them for the future. Thank you for your input. It's appreciated.

hawk
06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Tomi, dude, I think that is a great idea, right now I am striving towards the ARCADE! xD

Tomi
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd imagine contests would only keep people around short-term - once the contests stop, they stop coming. If you want to keep them around the forums, then create something worthwhile on the forums (if the super member forum is awesome, they'll all be jealous and want to post more to get there). And of course, like Joseph pointed out, people love to strive for the arcade. :P

babie boi
06-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I'd personally say removing the 1000 post requirement wasn't the smartest idea. I remember when I was active, I liked striving for those goals, hence why I was so active. My suggestion: implement an additional user class (6k posts?) and add special forums for the special classes (not just for VIP, but also super members, and the additional class). Also, give them secret benefits. Don't publicly advertise what they are, people will strive for the classes out of curiosity to find out what awaits. The reason I say add special forums is that there's nothing exciting going on here in the forums, you seem to be adding things around the site, but the forums themselves, where you appear to want activity, are left untouched (skins don't matter). Also, on another site I'm at, the layout of the forum makes those titles pretty prominent, and only the highest classes can have them.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my suggestions, I just thought I'd give a perspective from my activity on other forums, and how I perceive things as an inactive member here. I personally lost interest here since I don't think anything has really changed since I've left, so there's nothing really exciting. Contests and other website content doesn't interest me either, and this goes for a lot of people.

Oh, and don't just knock Casey and others down because they're "always pessimistic". They have a valid point... also, publicly addressing those comments in the forum casts some pretty strong negativity in this thread, no wonder you don't have positivity. Just saying... again, don't mean to offend, just pointing it out.

Yeah, anything that lets people flaunt their e-peens usually works.

$pvcxGhxztCasey
06-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Come on guy, isn't that what the internet is really about anyways?

hawk
06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Make VIP members not only if they donate but if they contribute shows or something...

Tomi
06-09-2010, 07:54 AM
...basically.

It's also not really about the status but the benefits, actually. Make people want to get the status to reap the benefits, so they'll enjoy the site more, not so they brag about it - they have their own forum for that. :P

hawk
06-09-2010, 11:44 AM
OMG! 42 posts until arcade!

babie boi
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM

It is for any reasonable person.

hawk
06-10-2010, 06:39 AM
The internet is for getting 500 posts and winning in the LPA arcade!

esaul17
06-10-2010, 07:49 AM
I must say, I am skeptical that someone would be poised not to join the forums but hear "They let you choose your user title right away!" and react "I NEED TO GET IN ON THIS SHIT!".

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter much either way.

hawk
06-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I must say, I am skeptical that someone would be poised not to join the forums but hear "They let you choose your user title right away!" and react "I NEED TO GET IN ON THIS SHIT!".

Bit it does make a good extra little feature.

Tomi
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM

QFT. And then after a while, no one cares anymore (and even if the new member does care, they'll shortly realise no one else does), so it no longer is special, and we just lost the whole point of unrestricting it, unfortunately.

hawk
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
OMG! Five posts until arcade!

Thats something I can look forward too :P

Derek
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Tomi, if we make some parts of these forums too exclusive and give almost nothing to the members upon signup, it can also have a negative impact as well. You have to look at this from a new person's perspective as well.

Would you rather go to a forum that gives you great things right off the bat like this forum does, or go to a board that doesn't really give you anything super special till you reach X number of posts? You might say the latter, but I'm betting deep down you'd rather have the easier option. The fact is, we've already considered making this forum really private, and not allowing people to read it unless they're a member, but that will just have an adverse effect on the traffic. Why? Because if people didn't sign up before, what is completely forcing them to going to accomplish?

The forums will pick up soon. LP isn't in the mainstream right now and a lot of people moved on. However the new album should bring in some new fans (or bring old ones back) and this place will be busy again. Infact its already busier now.

hawk
06-10-2010, 10:17 PM
It actually is a lot busier since last month.

Gloomy Mushroom
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
It actually is a lot busier since last month.

Because of the competition....I actually agree with the whole 'earning your usertitle' thing because it indeed gives someting to strive towards. I remember I was etching to get 500 posts to get into the arcade and etching to get 1,000 posts to get a custom user title. I think also with the 'extra' features that were suggested I must agree with Derek, it'll make simple users bored shitless and probably a lot of complaints coming in about unfair of 'premium' members.

hawk
06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Yep. Having too much special forums give the normal users nothing, but maybe one more forum wouldn't be that bad because only super member is something we can get without having to do anything extra.

Joe
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
To be honest, I can't really get my head around this bonus forum idea. What could we possibly talk about in an extra forum that we can't in the normal forum topics, without having to restrict those topics to members with a higher post count? Like, I don't understand how making it so members can't access "Other Music" until they're at 1000 posts or "Artists Studio" at 1500. It's alienating every new comer and giving them less oppurtunity to get their post count. Plus those topics might be the only subjects they're interested in, and may not have the interest to stick around spamming LP chat just so can they talk about General topics. I know quite a few members who just come here and post nowhere but Other Music for years now.

If you meant creating a forum that doesn't take away the General topics we have then okay, but I can't imagine what a "Super Member Only Forum" can cover that our own boards don't already, including our VIP forum.

hawk
06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
If you meant creating a forum that doesn't take away the General topics we have then okay, but I can't imagine what a "Super Member Only Forum" can cover that our own boards don't already, including our VIP forum.

Snap.

Tomi
06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I suppose the special forums works with some forums and not others. Some people post various topics in restricted forums which they wouldn't otherwise in public. Like I said, it's a concept that either sinks or floats. Doesn't necessarily need to be implemented, it was just an idea. The Super Members don't really get much besides a special blue title ... yay.

Although, I noticed something about these forums. Look at the first page of the Random Chat forum - what's the percentage of topics that aren't games? <10%. Serious Chat hardly has any active topics in it, but they're rather serious topics; a lot of people tend to avoid seriousness [but there's enough people that like to debate], and most general topics wouldn't fit in there, so they get put in the Random Chat forum aaand then lost in the sea of games and subsequently forgotten. Lovely, isn't it? People don't really have anywhere to discuss general topics without the topics getting lost in a sea of games, and it doesn't really seem like general chatting is encouraged in Random Chat, just games.

So if you want posting activity to go up from people who don't want to discuss music/movies or serious topics but just talk in general, then perhaps you need to add another forum (perhaps 'The Lounge') where people can sit back and talk about stuff freely (like RT) without the topics being flooded by ridiculous games - a lot of people tend to stay completely clear when they see games, and since there's so many in Random Chat, they tend to overlook a lot of topics.

Of course, there's Random Thoughts n, which is highly successful (from what I remember, anyway. I haven't looked recently) but why would you want to keep all that discussion within one topic when you can expand it to a whole forum, and with that, topics don't get lost and can be further discussed (rather than their few hour timespan when something else comes up), causing there to be more potential activity, since topics can be discussed for days.

Alternatively, if you don't want to create a forum (if the argument is too many forums - get rid of the test forum and newbie forum, they're pointless. The newbie forum can be replaced with a topic in Random Chat), you could at least cut down on the amount of games in Random Chat, since it's too overwhelming and doesn't leave much room for general topics. Then again, I bet RT kills a bunch of potential topics, since people would rather post there than make a topic.

Derek
06-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input. We've read what you said and we'll consider them with future changes we may make to the site, however we cannot guarantee what the future may hold. That's really all we can say at this point.

Tomi
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Of course, just offering my ideas - not expecting to see anything immediately as it all requires plenty of thought. I'd love to see this site become really interesting to me again like it used to be. :)

But hey, at least you've been successful in keep it alive for so long. :D

hawk
06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Thats because the LPA is awesome, if this forum/site got shut down I would die.

Oberyn
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
how about a 18+ section, for people that have X number of post and are a certain age. Plus have it as an option to be hidden or not. xD.

I mean, the LPA can be quite perverse at times anyway.. :P

Or implement a blog like thing that expands the user profiles. I see a lot of forums doing that lately and it seems to have taken off well. The down side of that though is everything becomes more of a popularity contest. X__X.

Maybe you should introduce a "coin" system for any x number of post you make that can be taken away as a type of discipline but having enough allows you to do extra type things such as enter the VIP room. Like, say if you have 1000 coins you can enter the VIP room (or a room that's created just for this purpose because really, it'd be unfair to the VIPers I guess) until your coins run out. You have 5000 coins you can enter 5 times, etc, etc. It'd give people incentive to sign up AND stick around. Just an idea.

hawk
06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Like a reputation type thing?

Also an 18+ section wouldn't be right.

Oberyn
06-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Like a reputation type thing?

Also an 18+ section wouldn't be right.

Matter of opinion. :lol:

Derek
06-17-2010, 03:36 AM
how about a 18+ section, for people that have X number of post and are a certain age. Plus have it as an option to be hidden or not. xD.

I mean, the LPA can be quite perverse at times anyway.. :P

Or implement a blog like thing that expands the user profiles. I see a lot of forums doing that lately and it seems to have taken off well. The down side of that though is everything becomes more of a popularity contest. X__X.

Maybe you should introduce a "coin" system for any x number of post you make that can be taken away as a type of discipline but having enough allows you to do extra type things such as enter the VIP room. Like, say if you have 1000 coins you can enter the VIP room (or a room that's created just for this purpose because really, it'd be unfair to the VIPers I guess) until your coins run out. You have 5000 coins you can enter 5 times, etc, etc. It'd give people incentive to sign up AND stick around. Just an idea.

We've definitely thought about the forum currency thing (as there is a plugin for vBulletin that allows it), but really...what could we use it on? That's the problem.

As for the 18+ forum, that's an issue we've grappled with since the site opened 8 1/2 years ago. It's simply impossible to guarantee that everyone entering those parts of the forums are really 18 or older, and if we allow some really dirty stuff [since it's a private board] we could be essentially guilty of corrupting a minor or even worse. There's a really thin line with an 18+ forum and that's why we've never went forward with it.

hawk
06-17-2010, 07:06 AM
These forums are about LINKIN PARK! Not horses? lol

Oberyn
06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
These forums are about LINKIN PARK! Not lesbians. lol

Who said anything about lesbians.

Okay according to your logic there shouldn't be.

Serious Chat
Random Thoughts
Other Music
Kick Back Central
Tech Forum
or any sub forums because the forum is about Linkin Park and not about anything else ever.

Sorry man but You're point is moot and holds no ground whatsoever.

Tomi
06-18-2010, 06:11 AM
we could be essentially guilty of corrupting a minor or even worse.
Have you ever read RT, Derek? Thanks to you, my teenaged years are corrupted as fuck. :P
(well, okay, maybe not fully because of LPA, but I bet they play a part, hahah)

There shouldn't be an 18+ forum here. Go to Google, you'll find a shit ton of forums, websites, etc for that. It's just not right here, considering that a Linkin Park forum attracts the 14/15-year old audience mostly, I bet.

Points are meh. Just like post counts are meh (after having 16.5k+ posts here, I eventually realised this). If you want to implement them, go ahead, but I'm not sure if they'll have any effect.

hawk
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Who said anything about lesbians.

Me...hehe.

Derek
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Joseph, please contribute posts that actually pertain to the topic at hand. I hate to be cruel but your post had nothing to do with this thread at all, and could have even been offensive to gay/bisexual people who post here.

While our topics will sometimes deviate from the course, blatant topic changes are still considered spam...and that will result in a reduction of post count if it happens enough. So please...try to stay on topic.

Gloomy Mushroom
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah its not good coming into a thread (and being a girl amongst mostly guys in a thread) and read the word 'lesbian' being written in vain...

I think there shouldn't be an 18+ forum cos wouldn't it conflict with the LPA rule of keeping it tamed because it is an all ages forum?

Derek
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM
We're not really so much of an all ages forum anymore. I mean yes, we still wont allow extremely filthy stuff here...but I think the amount of that's what she said and penis jokes on here make this forum at least PG-13. :lol:

hawk
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
:| sorry for trying to have some...

Derek
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
:| sorry for trying to have some...

Some...what?

Oberyn
06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Kay, seems to be agreed upon from most parties that the 18+ forum is not for the LPA. Just so you know, though, I've no problem with lesbians.

Anyway how about a health and nutrition forum or subforum? :lol:

hawk
06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Some...what?

Fun. (stupid iPod).
Is there also a complaint forum, because I have one.

Derek
06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Fun. (stupid iPod).
Is there also a complaint forum, because I have one.

You want to complain about being asked to follow the rules? I'm sorry Joseph, but the rules are there for a reason. They're not difficult to follow, and we're not being strict. We have a community to protect and uphold here.

Sarah was already offended by your lesbians comment, and we don't want you to be disliked here. We're looking out for you, like we would with any member.

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
You want to complain about being asked to follow the rules? I'm sorry Joseph, but the rules are there for a reason. They're not difficult to follow, and we're not being strict. We have a community to protect and uphold here.

Sarah was already offended by your lesbians comment, and we don't want you to be disliked here. We're looking out for you, like we would with any member.

Yes, I am sorry about that but the thing I am talking about if different.
One person for doing EXACTLY the same thing but doing it twice gets let off, while I get in trouble for doing it once. Doesn't seem fair.

[TDWP] Jacob
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Relax Joseph. I mean everyone gets at least 1 infraction during their stay here :). I have. No Big deal. It expires and you don't have to think about it. Just let it go

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:22 PM
No. This specific one doesn't. Double posting, in got news.
Some other member double posted twice, he doesn't get anything put against him, then I get pinged for doing it once.
I say "hey, why is he double posting and nothing is happening?", then when the infraction crap thing comes up he was "You told me to moderate so here I am moderating", and the way he wrote it was like in other words saying "fuck you, have an infraction". I am not angry, but just annoyed.
I just think, the situation wasn't fair.

Todd
06-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Joseph, how do you know that the other person didn't get in trouble for it? We do not make infractions people get public.

BTW, had you not explicitly stated 12 hours ago that we weren't doing anything about double posts I would've let you off the hook with no infraction. But since you were so concerned that we weren't doing anything about double posts, I wanted to prove to you that we are doing something about them.

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Joseph, how do you know that the other person didn't get in trouble for it? We do not make infractions people get public.

BTW, had you not explicitly stated 12 hours ago that we weren't doing anything about double posts I would've let you off the hook with no infraction. But since you were so concerned that we weren't doing anything about double posts, I wanted to prove to you that we are doing something about them.

Okay.
I was also actually aware that I was posting but if I had edited the post then no one would've seen that there something new there, and they would've missed it.
Also, I am over that now and I apologize.

Derek
06-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Relax Joseph. I mean everyone gets at least 1 infraction during their stay here :). I have. No Big deal. It expires and you don't have to think about it. Just let it go
Hey now, not everyone gets an infraction here. Please don't say things that aren't true, because that's how bad reputations get started. There are many people who have been here for years and never been warned once. Saying we give infractions to everyone [untrue] makes us look extremely strict, when we are not. In fact, we're one of the most lenient Linkin Park forums around and we let people get away with a lot of things that some sites wouldn't. However, as a forum we still need to have standards, and occasionally those standards will be enforced in the form of an infraction. If we had no rules here, the forums would be an un-enjoyable mess and teenies would probably run rampant. We have rules, so the forums can stay fun and enjoyable.

So no, we don't give infractions to everyone...and if any people are saying that on other fansites/LP places around the web they're pretty much full of it. It's very easy to post here without getting a warning...you just have to follow the rules :)

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Hey now, not everyone gets an infraction here. Please don't say things that aren't true, because that's how bad reputations get started. There are many people who have been here for years and never been warned once. Saying we give infractions to everyone [untrue] makes us look extremely strict, when we are not. In fact, we're one of the most lenient Linkin Park forums around and we let people get away with a lot of things that some sites wouldn't. However, as a forum we still need to have standards, and occasionally those standards will be enforced in the form of an infraction. If we had no rules here, the forums would be an un-enjoyable mess and teenies would probably run rampant. We have rules, so the forums can stay fun and enjoyable.

So no, we don't give infractions to everyone...and if any people are saying that on other fansites/LP places around the web they're pretty much full of it. It's very easy to post here without getting a warning...you just have to follow the rules :)

He is probably trying to cheer me up but I am fine now.

Derek
06-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I know, I just don't want the idea that we give infractions to everyone going around. It's categorically false and I want people to know we are a fun forum that is welcoming and inviting. I know Jacob meant no bad by it...I just need to protect our reputation :).

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I know, I just don't want the idea that we give infractions to everyone going around. It's categorically false and I want people to know we are a fun forum that is welcoming and inviting. I know Jacob meant no bad by it...I just need to protect our reputation :).

Okay.
I can understand wanting to keep your forum reputation at a good standard (is is actually at an awesome standard xD), so yeah.

Tomi
06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Pssht, all the cool people get infractions. ;)

hawk
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Haha, all the "deros".

Derek
06-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Deros? What the heck is a dero? :lol:

hawk
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM

:O You don't know what a dero is!?

Tomi
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM

According to Wikipedia: Derro, a slang Australian term for a homeless, unkempt person - synonymous with the American term wino.

...are you calling me homeless? Oo

Oberyn
06-18-2010, 02:57 PM
That, or an alcoholic. xD.

Tomi
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
That, or an alcoholic. xD.

Hey, just because I'm in a fraternity. :P

hawk
06-18-2010, 11:01 PM
No, dero is also like "a gangster".
Say if my mate and I where walking down the street and then in front of us walking towards us where gangsters maybe I'd say "holy shit deros, lets GTFO!"
Thats what I use the word dero for.

Gloomy Mushroom
06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Kay, seems to be agreed upon from most parties that the 18+ forum is not for the LPA. Just so you know, though, I've no problem with lesbians.

Anyway how about a health and nutrition forum or subforum? :lol:

I like that idea!

Derek
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I like that idea!
I actually like that too. LPAers sharing diet/exercise tips. We'll definitely consider it! :D

Oberyn
06-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Plus, I can post my food recipes. Right now, I don't see anywhere that's really appropriate to post any. :lol:

Gloomy Mushroom
06-19-2010, 01:11 AM
The LPA Masterchef Kitchen :lol:

[TDWP] Jacob
06-21-2010, 03:31 AM
The currency thing.... maybe they can be used to get new skins or something. Like specially made skins just for certain point reachers.. idk its just an idea

hawk
06-21-2010, 04:58 AM
More skins would be awesome.

Todd
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
That's probably not gonna happen for awhile.

hawk
06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
That's probably not gonna happen for awhile.

Meh, new album skin should be soon right? Hehe.

Joe
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Meh, new album skin should be soon right? Hehe.
As soon as we have album art and anything else worthwhile working with, we will start working on one.

hawk
06-22-2010, 06:36 AM
As soon as we have album art and anything else worthwhile working with, we will start working on one.

Awesome!

Oberyn
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Just to expand on my Health and Nutrition idea I think it could go

Main forum Health & Nutrition

Sub-forum Nutrition and Health (Where you can discuss anything that doesn't fit in the other sub-forums as long as it pertains to health topics)
Sub-forum Culinary Arts (Where you can give and get recipes)
Sub-forum Diet and Exercise (Discuss different diet and exercise techniques)

Derek
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
My only concern about your idea Jesse is that if we implemented those forums...would they get used, or would some go basically unattended? I love the idea of sharing recipes/making LPA a more health conscious site, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to just create 3 different threads for your above purpose, or to make forums to allow several threads on the same topic.

Oberyn
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I can understand that, but I've seen it done pretty well on other sites. Here (http://www.anime-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?108-Nutrition-Health-and-Fitness) for example.

I understand what you're saying though.

faint 13
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Yah!!!!!!!!

Derek
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Yah!!!!!!!!

Was there a point to this post? It was one word and didn't contribute to the thread at all. Please do not spam threads with useless replies.

And Jesse...that link definitely helps your suggestion gain ground. We (the staff) will have to discuss it in private and see if it's something we should add. Thanks!

hawk
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Honestly, I may not be into all these but I do think they'll be worth a little demo.

Tomi
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd start off with a thread first, and see how it goes. Imagine if there was no tech forum, and the above suggestion was for it - sure, it works great on other forums, but look at our forum - it's practically dead. I started a new topic hoping to inspire some intelligent conversation and it goes completely untouched. I suspect this is how the health forums will go after a while.

If you're planning on adding any new forums, fix the current ones first - Random Chat is just full of games plus a huge topic (RT) that could be turned into a forum of it's own, creating lots of new threads and discussion. Throwing darts in the dark (health forum) isn't really the most efficient idea, when you already have something that people are interested in and can easily expand on. Disregarding tradition, why does RT have to be a thread? Why not encourage it to be a forum? (currently this doesn't work because the Random Chat forum is full of games, obstructing the point). I'm just repeating this to put perspective on the Health idea. I'm sure it'll get a bunch of topics in a month, but soon enough people will get bored of it, once it's no longer 'new'. Plus these topics can already be discussed in the current forums, yet notice how there's not much discussion currently?

Gloomy Mushroom
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd start off with a thread first, and see how it goes. Imagine if there was no tech forum, and the above suggestion was for it - sure, it works great on other forums, but look at our forum - it's practically dead. I started a new topic hoping to inspire some intelligent conversation and it goes completely untouched. I suspect this is how the health forums will go after a while.

If you're planning on adding any new forums, fix the current ones first - Random Chat is just full of games plus a huge topic (RT) that could be turned into a forum of it's own, creating lots of new threads and discussion. Throwing darts in the dark (health forum) isn't really the most efficient idea, when you already have something that people are interested in and can easily expand on. Disregarding tradition, why does RT have to be a thread? Why not encourage it to be a forum? (currently this doesn't work because the Random Chat forum is full of games, obstructing the point). I'm just repeating this to put perspective on the Health idea. I'm sure it'll get a bunch of topics in a month, but soon enough people will get bored of it, once it's no longer 'new'. Plus these topics can already be discussed in the current forums, yet notice how there's not much discussion currently?

I don't think it's throwing darts in the dark when it comes to the health forums because there are a few people including me that are trying to shed some pounds/kilos and could get inspiration from other people to continue their journey of a healthy lifestyle. I fully back the health forums up totally and it sets a good example for the younger generations of LPA when it comes to eating and exercise habits. As for the random section part, it should remain the same or else we're going to get a cluttered and scattered forums where you can't find a damn thing and RT is a good thread because you don't have to make a new thread to tell people about the weather or post a single video that one might like I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with the random forum of LPA, it's a one stop shop for everything that includes being a total photo/post whore. And as for your thread in the technology forum - yes I read it but chose not to reply because I don't know anything about HTML and Flash or Java or whatever the hell you guys were talking about - it's just a matter of case that no one continued to talk about it/or people feel more comfortable talking about it in the original thread. The boards are THRIVING with activity and newbies in my honest opinion, and it's doing a better job than what I've seen in the past. But you've gotta realise that people do have lives offline, I'm on here all the time because I'm usually bored shitless all day at home. And that LPA helps me escape a lot of my real life problems.

Tomi
06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Well, if you want to discuss health issues, I'm pretty sure either Serious Chat or Random Chat would be suitable for it (I'd lean more to the serious one), and start posting to warrant a forum. As for my gripe about Random Chat, it's filled with games that don't really get the forum anywhere but postcount++, sure they're great to pass time, but if you want to talk about random topics, RT is the only place to go. I'd honestly prefer to encourage new threads being made for any topic, rather than squishing it all in RT - the topic would have a longer lifespan as a thread.

Also, my thread in Tech wasn't necessarily aimed at regular people - more towards devs and people interested, as there was a bit of conversation about it in that iPhone thread, so I figured I'd see where we could go with that. But it's also somewhat educational to those who aren't developers and whatnot. Kinda hoping for more life in the tech forum than just help and Apple announcements. :P

Todd
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
How about someone starts a thread in Serious Chat about health issues, we'll see how it goes, and if there's enough discussion to warrant a separate forum for it, we'll create one. That was why the tech forum and tv/movies/game forums were created way back in the day. But our worry is that if you say "I want a health forum" and we create it, someone else will say "I want a car forum" and then someone else will say "I want a sports forum" and since it would be wrong to turn down one request and not another, suddenly we have a bunch of special interest forums that have no activity. So start off in Serious Chat and if the amount of discussion warrants a separate forum, we'll create it.

Serious Chat is mainly used for current news topics, but it's really intended for anything that isn't random chat (forum games, RT, PYP, etc) and doesn't have a special interest forum (tech talk, screening room, etc)

Kinda hoping for more life in the tech forum than just help and Apple announcements. :P

Feel free to start threads in TT to get a discussion going. I'm up for a good tech discussion any day of the week ;)

hawk
06-24-2010, 06:38 AM
The test should tell us all.

Kęton
06-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Thank you, Captain Obvious. :lol:

Oberyn
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM

It's going to tell us what mike's Messages mean?

QUICK EVERYONE POST IN THE NUTRITION THREADS

Tomi
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Now that people are going to be posting health threads (hopefully) they should also start posting more threads in Random Chat instead of shoving it all in RT. :D