PDA

View Full Version : Review Minutes To Midnight

Luke
05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Okay, lets stop the constant reviewing that's going on all over the boards and focus on them in this thread. Post your reviews here but please try to be somewhat intelligent in your reviews. :)

I'll get this shit started with a track-by-track review:

Wake:
Not the best intro song I've heard but definatly a good one. I don't however think it sets the tone for the album whatsoever because when you hear Wake you think ''holy shit, this album is gonna be explosive'' when in actual fact most of the album is fairly mellow. The intro also has next to no connection with the next track which is dissapointing because more often than not if there's an intro track it isn't just an introduction to the album but to the first song. Still a nice intro song though. 3/5

Given Up:
I love the punk-rock influence in this song. The intro to the track is awesome and the chorus is filled with energy. I think the part which really lets the song down is the bridge. The bridge, to me, is all over the place and like many of the other bridges on the album its very repetitive. I also think the part after Chester screams ''put me out of my fucking misery!" needs a solo or something because the whole part leading up to the final chorus seems very vacant and in need of more. Overall though it is a pretty cool song. I am however majorly disapointed that this is the heaviest LP got on this album. 3/5

Leave Out All The Rest:
I really love this song. It's a track I could listen to over and over and not get tired of it. The soft verses are slightly poppy but the amazing chorus kicks all of that out the window. This is also one of the few songs on the album that has a great bridge and doesn't have an abrupt ending. I can't single out anything bad at all about this song. Certainly a future single. 5/5

Bleed It Out:
I'm not too keen on this song to be honest. I don't like the fast beat or the chord progression in the verses and the chorus lacks energy. The bridge is pretty much non-existant and the chorus just gets annoying after hearing it over and over. I do however like Mike's raps on this track. I just think it's a shame that they were used in a song which to be honest doesn't need rapping. 1.5/5

Shadow Of The Day:
I like this song alot. It really reminds me of something U2 would do. I think Chesters singing is top notch in this and there is some great guitar work by Mike and Brad. I also like how Rob breaks in with an awesome beat in the second verse. I have no complaints about this song whatsoever. 4.5/5

What I've Done:
Dear god did they say farewell or what?! It was probably the best song to pick as an opening single because this song pretty much sums up the sayonara to the old Linkin Park. I love the piano intro soooo much, it really reminds me of the theme music from the Halloween films or some other slasher film. However in my opinion that great piano work that goes on through the verses needs some rapping over it. That's not to say Chester doesn't do a good job singing but this was definatly a track that probably would have sounded alot better with some rapping in it. There's some great guitar work by Mike and Brad again and Mike's harmonic singing at the end is great, I do however feel that the chorus really rips into the lovely piano verses quite abruptly. Great song stating LP's new sound. 3.5/5

Hands Held High:
This is a nice track but the marching drums just don't do it for me. Mike's rapping is awesome but it needs a good solid beat for it to go over. I also think that the chorus needs to be in between the verses and not played over at the end. It's a shame because with this alterations this song could have been a really powerful rap track. I'll go along with everyone else in saying that it would probably have a more fitting home on a Fort Minor Album. 2.5/5

No More Sorrow:
So finally LP have a political voice through this song and you know what? This song pretty much sums up what most of us are thinking. I really love the almost Metallica style guitar work by Brad and the awesome drum work by Rob that sounds like guns going off. I find this to be a very atmospheric song too and probably the darkest song on the album. The only problem I have with this track is that, to me, something should have been done to layer Chesters vocals into the song a bit more because it seems as if his vocals are overlaying some awesome instrumental work instead of coinciding with them. This song is also one of those tracks that has an abrupt ending. Overall a really great track though. 4/5

Valentine's Day:
This is a great song but the structure, like certain other songs on this album, is not right. The song shouldn't be building up to what, I think, should be the chorus. However once again Chester's vocals set an atmospheric tone when he sings the lyrics that many people who have broken up with partners can relate to. Overall though I find this to be a pretty standard tune: good but could be so much better. 3/5

In Between:
You know what? I really like this song. Mike has a great singing voice and seems to genuinly be apologising for something when he sings this track. Once again though the repetitivness spoils this song slightly. It's Definatly the softest song on a soft album and is a nice reversal of roles with Mike doing the main singing and Chester backing. 3.5/5

In Pieces:
It's a decent song but once again it's unnecessarily building up to something. To be honest the structure of this song seems very incomplete. The chorus played the third time around with heavier guitar work should be played the second and third time around etc. so to set the tone for the solo. Also I'm not too keen on the indie style guitar work. Seems to me that LP tried to just intwine the latest craze of indie music into their music somehow and produced this song which in my opinion is a weak track. 2/5

The Little Things Give You Away:
Okay, I'll be the first to admit that this was extremely overhyped...I think the terminology was the musical equivalent of a detonating bomb. It's not like that. However it is a fucking amazing tune. I don't think any tune on the album compares to this song. I love the acoustic guitar and Joe's work leading up to the solo. The vocals are spot on throughout and I love Mike's harmonic singing towards the end. The solo, despite not being in the same league as a Maiden or Metallica solo, is amazing. It's simple but so effective and it's definatly the highlight of the song. The song itself is the highlight of the album. 5/5

B-side: No Roads Left:

All I can do is plead for the answer as to why the hell isn't this on the album. I think it's probably one of the best tracks they've made and certainly a great example of Mike's vocal work, Dare I say better than the vocal work he did on In Between. The absence of Chester on this track is actualy a good thing (Yeah, I never thought I'd say that either), Mike completly steals the show on this track. Everything about this song is perfect, from the cool guitar intro to the oh so catchy chorus that seems to stick in your head and the powerful strings used towards the end. I think the biggest low point of the album for me is the fact that this track didn't make the final cut because it is just an amazing song. Not quite as good as TLTGYA but certainly next in Line. 5/5

Overall:
This is a pretty great album. However if you had given it to me 6 years ago I would never have thought in a million years that it was Linkin Park. Is that a good thing? Yes and no. We all wanted a change from the same style we were getting from Hybrid Theory and Meteora but I think some would agree with me when I say that this is too much of a radical change. LP have almost completely surrendered their dark sound on this album which is a move which will see them lose alot of fans I feel.

I fear the fact that Mike is very scarce on the album and the Hip-Hop element has been majorly toned down will damage LP's creadibility on that front. Another factor is Joe's scratching - There's absolutely none of it on this album which takes LP away from the electronica element they had.

I also feel that albums should never have too many ballads but this album is completely swamped with them. Ballads are lovely but should be unique in albums and not overcrowded with them.

The structure of some of the songs, and to be honest the album overall, is quite bad by LP's standards. Incomplete sounding songs? abrupt endings? constant repetitveness? weak sounds? This is Linkin Park we're talking about. You can't set such high standards for yourself if you're going to fail to live up to them in the future is what I say.

In terms of who has stepped up their work, Brad has vastly improved. He has completely ridden of his old self and opened up to a new Brad Delson - someone who wont hesitate to play a solo or some other form of complicated guitar work. I also think that there is some very raw drumming by Rob on this album. He's really stepped up his technique and it is obvious to see that he has gotten alot better over the course of the three albums. I am slightly disapointed that it doesn't seem Dave has stepped up, at all. In fact if anything he's taken a step back on this album. I mean it says something that at the concert on Friday Mike held a mic up to Dave's bass when they were playing Crawling because Dave's bass playing was simply top notch back then. On MTM you don't really hear anything significant apart from on Given Up and even then it's a very basic bassline.

The way I see this album is that this is a transistional period for LP. I don't actualy think that this is the sound of LP's future. I think LP have gone from a child stage into an almost teen stage because when you're a teen you're trying to learn what kind of a person you want to be in the future. Sure enough this was a huge change for LP but something tells me that we could be hearing something even more different and overall better from LP in the future because they will have time to analyse the reaction to this album and work on how to better their music based on that. I just pray that this album doesn't go belly-up and LP decide to call it quits because of it.

This album has some great aspects to it though. The atmosphere created in some of the songs is awesome. There is some quality instrumental work in this album that would put alot of modern rock groups to shame. I also like that LP have come out of their shells on voicing their opinions about things that are going on in the world. Lyrically this album was huge step up from Meteora and dare I say, in some songs, from Hybrid Theory. So I'm not knocking this album by any means. In fact I think LP fans should be excited for the future of the band because if this is indeed a transistional period for the band then something truly amazing is dawning over the horizon. Until then this album should provide just about enough cover until we wait for the next chapter in the story of one of the most gifted set of people there is.

4/5

Version One
05-06-2007, 01:39 AM
this is a well written review. nicely put.

esaul17
05-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Our opinions differ on individual songs but still, good review. The only this I disagree with a touch was your comment on song structure. I think it is good that LP strayed away a bit from their old tried and true strong structures and really gave us something new.

El Muerto
05-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Okay, I've listened to this album several times now and here's what I think:

Wake : A great instrumental but it doesn't quite show you what's the rest of the album gonna be like. Maybe they intentionally made so different. 8/10

Given Up : I'm not really thrilled with this track. I can't say it's great just because it's one of the few heavy songs on the record but I think it will be a real fun to play it live.
7/10

Leave Out All the Rest : The verses sound really good but the chorus ruined it for me. It just sounds like it's made straight for mtv and I can't quite get my head around it. The ending although is quite nice.
6/10

Bleed It Out : My favourite song on MTM. Mike's verses are really energetic, the chorus is catchy as hell and I don't mind it's repeating over and over again. I woudn't mind it repeating for 10 minutes :lol:. The screaming part is also awsome. Love the guitars, love the drums. Excellent song, I bet it'll sound even better live.
10/10

Shadow Of the Day : My least favourite song on the album. And I'm not saying this because it's a slow pop songs. I like some slow songs but this does nothing to me. If it weren't for the strings and the Brad's guitar part before the last chorus it would be even worse.
5/10

What I've Done : I didn't like this song when I first heard it but as time went by it really grew on me. Smart move using it as the first single because this is the song that sounds the most like the previous two albums.
8/10

Hands Held High : Mike's lyrics are much better than any of them from Meteora and most from HT. Although I'm not a great fun of political songs, this one sends an important message and I respect that. The ending is also awsome, he sings better than on In Between. :)
9/10

No More Sorrow : Politics again. Not their best lyrics ever but I guess they felt the need to sing about this. I love the guitars and Mike's backing vocals although.
8/10

Valentine's Day : After hearing the 30 seconds clip I thought this song was a piece of shit, but after hearing th ewhole thing... I was amazed. It's such a great song and I really like the lyrics on this one. The part when Chester starts singing "On a Valentine's day.." is the highests point and the most powerful part on the album IMO.
10/10

In Between : Not really a fan of this song. Mike's not singing bad, I guess I would find this song kinda boring even if Chester sung it.
6/10

In Pieces : If only the lyrics were a little better this would be a 10. And maybe it could have been a little harder. I love Brad's guitars especially the solo.
9/10

The Little Things Give You Away : The first half of the song is kinda boring. I expected some better stuff lyrically. The second half however is much better. The solo may not be complicated but it's quite emotional, and the ending part with Mike and Chester singing with some screaming in the background is also awsome and closes the album pretty well.
8/10

Overall: 8/10

I won't be lying, I expected this to top HT and it failed in that in my opinion but it's still a pretty decent album. I'm not disappointed. They tried some different things like they said, and some of them worked and some not.
I also think Mike should have rapped on at least a couple more songs, maybe not full verses but like in From The Inside. Mike's and Chesters voices work really well together and they should have used that more in this album.
Overall, it's not the greatest thing ever but also it's not a piece of shit. I'll definitely be buying it.
Over and out.

hybridtheory_gc
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
01. Wake

This introductory instrumental starts of with a needle going down on a vinyl record and is very different from the other 2 instrumentals found in their previous 2 albums. Scratching elements are barely heard, its not hip-hop sounding and is shorter than either Cure for the Itch or Session-a fact that they should have changed because it could have really made this instrumental better if it was a bit longer. Its not really dark as previously described, but it has that sense of spookyness to it in the beginning before it finally breaks off into a full on, guitar themed instrumental. Not the Mr. Hahn spotlight track that fans have been used to.

---> 3/5

02. Given Up

A song that sounds pretty new for LP but also sounds pretty familiar and is also one of the heaviest songs on the album. The bass lines on this riff heavy, punk sounding song is excellent and the un-LP like clapping sound in the beginning/through out the song sounds pretty good and suits the song well. The chorus has Bennington screaming "What the f*ck is wrong with me?!" and the screaming bridge which I previously described as "heavy as f*ck" really is the heaviest part of the album and seals this one as one of the best songs on the album. In a little bit of LP history, its the first LP song that has the F-word in the lyrics.

--->4.5/5

03. Leave out all the rest

The first of several poppy-ballad songs on the album, this one manages to be pretty good. lyrically, its one of the best if not the best song on the record. Chester Bennington describes the lyrics: I'm singing 'Pretending someone else can save me from myself' during it because it's supposed to feel like an apology letter, as though I'm moving on but I want people to remember the good things and not the bad things. A lot of the song is about humility." And thats really what the song is about. Musically, this song is electronically based and sounds a lot like some pop-RNB hits of today-it can even be a hip-hop song if you take away the singing and replace it with rapping. With that said, it still has its share of guitars during the chorus. As always, Bennington's vocals are excellent and he nails this one well proving that he really is one of the most versatile singers as far as Rock bands go.

--->3.5/5

04. Bleed it Out

This is one of the most unique songs that Linkin Park has ever done, it doesn't sound like any of their previous songs. It starts off with the sound of band members conversing and is the fastest and shortest song on the album and is also the first one that has Mike Shinoda back on the well..the mike. The rapping sounds pretty different too, more in your face and it lyrically its like a party-rap song as far the rapping is concerned. The drumming will make you bang your hand or clap your hands more times than you'd expect while you hear and an 80s rock-like guitar riff and people clapping and singing along in the background. Its like they played the song with fans in the studio clapping and singing along. Thankfully, the screaming vocals round up this very unique song. Shinoda also comments on this song saying "When it finally came together I said to the band, 'I don't think anyone but us could have made a song like this'. It's fucking bizarre death-party-rap-hoedown!".

--->4/5

05. Shadow of the day

Another poppy ballad, its also a very slow song-probably the slowest on the album. Its one of the most melodic songs on the album with a simple/slow drum pattern, violins playing in the background similar to Breaking the habit but it also has this brief guitar solo similar to that of What I've done that plays a couple of times, first during the bridge and then in the song's outro. A song thats very easy to listen to especially for people who like poppy music.

--->2.5/5

06. What I've Done

This song was the perfect first single because it encompasses everything that the album has. It starts off with a haunting piano hook and gently breaks off into a full song. The drumming is pretty different for LP with a much more complex pattern. The lyrics talks about someone saying goodbye to his former self and things that he's done in the past in an apology-esque way. Finally, the scratching sounds make a return at just the right time-during verses/right before the chorus. The song's best parts are the chorus and the bridge and after that Delson unleashes a short but sweet guitar solo of sorts. To close it out, Mike Shinoda sings "nanana" in the background and in a way that really compliments Bennington's soaring vocals. Pretty minimalistic but still catchy. Excellent track. On a personal note, I've probably listened to this song for more than 200 times during the month that its been out.

---->5/5

07. Hands held high

This is the second and final song with rapping on it and it is indeed another slow-ballad type of song. The drumming/beat on this sound reminds me of that "Like toy soldiers" song by Eminem which i know is just a sample that Eminem took from another song. Lyrically, im not really sure what this song is about although i think its about a war, probably the Iraq war. Pretty simple song in terms of music although its chorus has choire like vocals singing "Amen" in the background while Shinoda sings. Not excellent at all but this might grow on you since the rhymes are pretty good.

--->3/5

08. No More Sorrow

Finally, another heavy song-the heaviest on the album! And a very good one at that. It starts off with a guitar solo (although im not sure if you can actually call it a solo-more of a riff really) that has this Ebow guitar effect that sounds really cool followed by heavy drumming. Rob's great drumming has really shown in this record and especially on this song. It also has that clapping sound throughout the song similar to Given Up. I've already heard the band play this live and it sounds awesome especially because of the heavy guitar riffs and the screams of "Thieves and Hypocrites!" during the bridge. Lots of anger in the lyrics too this is still Linkin Park after all.

---->4.5/5

09. Valentine's day

This is probably the closest LP has come to a love song, very appropriate title! Its poppy but it still sounds like a rock song mainly because of its chorus. It starts off with Bennington singing "My insides turn to ash" in a very sad, almost weakening tone. The verses are full of melancholy with slow drumming in the background. It has this somewhat-fast piano hook in the middle before it goes into the chorus that saves this song from mediocrity. A chorus that actually sounds like its still rock music. Once the chorus plays, the song suddenly sounds good and complete. Lyrically the song can be summed up in 6 words, being alone on a Valentine's day-something I've been able to relate to.

---->4/5

10. In between

This song features Shinoda singing for the first time. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a dissapointment. A very boring and simple song. Shinoda's vocals are okay and sounded good at times but the problem is the lack of particapation from other band members. There's barely any guitar or drum playing to speak off and Chester's vocals have been burried in the background, somewhere it doesn't belong. (Sounds like an LP song?) Im really wondering why they made this song this way or why they even included the song in the album. Easily the worst song on the album.

---->1/5

11. In Pieces

Ah..this is the highlight of the album f*ckers! Arguably the best song on Minutes to Midnight, It has excellent progression from pop, to a reggae vibe, to a full rock song joined tied together by an excellent guitar solo which is pretty long too! I didn't know Brad Delson could play guitars that well. This song just shows how Linkin Park has matured over the years and how their musicianship has improved. The lyrics are about Bennington's divorce and 2nd marriage. The moment it blows into a full-on, in your face rock song, you'll be blown away.

--->5/5

12. The little things give you away

Final track, the longest one too. Being the most hyped track on the album, this song really has a lot to live up to-fortunately for Linkin Park, it does. Clocking in at a minute and a half, its the longest song that LP has ever done. Its not a loud-heavy rock song. What it is is a very melodic, synth-driven ballad that starts off with an acoustic guitar. Whoa? LP and an acoustic guitar? Yup, you heard me right and the acoustic riff sounds great. Its a very epic song in a lot ways, it has this long, melodic guitar solo and eventually leads to both Shinoda and Bennington singing in a duet. Bennington's towering vocals in the background while shinoda gently sings "the little things give you away". Finally, the song ends in an accapella which is best listened to on headphones. You'll hear shinoda singing "The little things give you away" on your left ear, "All you've ever wanted was someone to truly look up to you" again by shinoda on your right ear and finally Bennington's epic, high notes in the background. YES, its that sick. Lyrically, its about the hurricane katrina tragedy in New Orleans in 2005 although there might be more on a personal level.

---->4.5/5

Final thoughs: Minutes to Midnight is Linkin Park's most melodic album. It mixes pop, rock, hip-hop, punk, reggae and almost every genre I can think of and gave it a progressive feel. People will really need to approach this album with an open mind, not expecting too much of their previous sound. The Diversity of the album is incredible and you'll find a song that you'll really like nomatter what your favorite style is. There have been many firsts on this album, some good and some bad. Some people might need the album to "grow on them" for them to fully appreciate it and once you do, you'll find an album thats as good or even better than their previous 2. After all, every band's goal is to not sound the same every time out. Stop whining if you're 16 and you think you're too cool to listen to pop music. LP never cared about genres too much anyway.

Overall: ----> 4/5

wayzamTCS
05-06-2007, 03:51 PM
TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listened to the whole album and i couldnt stop cringing the whole time. given up and no more sorrow are the only two good songs. the tracks where mike raps suck. they build and build and build up to NOTHING!! mike's singing is a joke. they're trying too hard to NOT sound like linkin park and you can tell. the album sounds empty like its lacking something the whole time. it took them 14 months?? it sounds incomplete like they wrote and recorded it in 14 DAYS. it was not worth waiting 4 years for.

1/5

linkin park should step the fuck up and recognize that this album was a mistake. they abandoned the numetal/rapmetal sound because they were seeking critical acclaim (which i'm affraid they wont get much). they need to realize that the style they had on HYBRID THEORY and METEORA was what they did best. before all you get pissed at me, you have to agree with me there. that is why we are all fans of this band in the first place.

Mark
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
You're obviously primrily a fan of heavier music, judging by the songs you like from this album and the cds you've recently bought.

Foreshadowed_LP
05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listened to the whole album and i couldnt stop cringing the whole time. given up and no more sorrow are the only two good songs. the tracks where mike raps suck. they build and build and build up to NOTHING!! mike's singing is a joke. they're trying too hard to NOT sound like linkin park and you can tell. the album sounds empty like its lacking something the whole time. it took them 14 months?? it sounds incomplete like they wrote and recorded it in 14 DAYS. it was not worth waiting 4 years for.

1/5

linkin park should step the fuck up and recognize that this album was a mistake. they abandoned the numetal/rapmetal sound because they were seeking critical acclaim (which i'm affraid they wont get much). they need to realize that the style they had on HYBRID THEORY and METEORA was what they did best. before all you get pissed at me, you have to agree with me there. that is why we are all fans of this band in the first place.

I do not agree with you entirely.

Yes, Hybrid Theory is the reason for Linkin Park's overflowing popularity. However, the follow up to Hybrid Theory - Meteora did nothing. I enjoyed Meteora, but it sounded nothing more than a second edition of Hybrid Theory. Therefore, they had to change their sound otherwise their illustrious musical career as a band together may have been over.

What you are failing to understand is that it's their past genre that made them successful... but it will not gain them that success in the present and future time? They had to change... and from what I have read, MOSTLY, they have changed for the better.

PhillyBirds0536
05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
lp used to be different than every other band out there n now they r just like all of them with this album... first off they should never ever work with ruben again cause all he did was kill there music career by influencing them to change their style.... second off there is not enough mike on this album what ever happened to the duel lead singer thing well thats gone now n i hope mike leaves the band and persues his solo career because he is a great rapper and should be able to show that n hes not gonna do it with lp..... they really need to go back to what made them if they dont they r gonna loose a lot of their hardcore fans n have a fan base of 13 year old girls with the backstreet boys being their opening act

Luke
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM

1/5

See this is a model example of what I didn't want posted here. You're all welcome to your opinions but if they seem unintelligent and primative then who the hell will want to read what you're saying?

From now on I want to see proper reviews. I don't care if I sound like a mod here, I created this thread so that people could review the album and voice their opinions, not to make close-minded remarks and write in a style that looks like a child could have written it.

Zakrisk
05-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Wake - Turning this album on in the morning on my way to school was very exciting for me. I'd been waiting four years for this, and I had recently been highly anticipating this album. However, the previous day had left me with doubt, as I hadn't been a fan of the little previews AT ALL. I was left thinking: "ehh.. what the fuck?", but this intro track really pumped me up for a good album. It's a great intro. It doesn't seem to differ much from any intro Linkin Park might make before. 4/5

Given Up - This is the song to get me pumped for this album. When I first heard it, I was extremely disappointed with the lyrics. I was hoping they would step up their lyrics with this album, and all those little clips that were popping up were leaving me down about my hope for some thoughtful lyrics. Aside from that, I think that the music makes up for it. I find Chester's vocals to be very powerful, and it makes this song one of my favorites. Not a fan of the lyrics, but I'm a big fan of the music.(That's how I'll end up feeling about most of this album.) 3/5

Leave Out All The Rest - This song did nothing for me at first. The lyrics were embarrassing. It didn't seem genuine at all. Overall, I was disappointed with this song. However, it has grown on me. It's getting better and better the more I listen. I still can't find myself getting into the lyrics very much, but, musically, I'm getting into this track more and more. 3/5 for now, but I'm sure it'll go up to 4/5 with time.

Bleed It Out - After initially being disappointed with Leave Out All The Rest, Bleed It Out came in. From the preview, I hadn't been a fan of how the rapping sounded, but I really liked it my first time through. Listening some more, I wish that Chester would have done some more with the chorus. I think that with a longer, more diverse chorus, and one more rap verse, this song could have been a masterpiece, but, like several reviews have said, it seems to end too quickly. It seems kind of incomplete to me. 3/5

Shadow Of The Day - I think this song is brilliant. The lyrics are more complicated than what I'd heard Chester sing so far. It was refreshing. I love it a ton. First 5/5 on the album for me.

What I've Done - Again, the lyrics fail me in this. The song has grown on me, and I really enjoyed the video, but Linkin Park really needs to work on themselves in the lyric department. I will say, though, that I find this song very powerful on it's simple level. I actually think that I find it a plus in this situation. Haha, that sounded kind of like I contradicted myself, but.. this song gets a 4/5.

Hands Held High - I'm not a fan of Bush bashing in music. I like System of a Down a lot, but, then again, I feel less annoyed by it because they have family involved with the war, and in the Armenian Genocide. I can't say I like this song at all. It's my least favorite song on the album. The chorus makes me wince. "Amen" sounds so cheesy it's unbelievable. The one thing that boosts my rating for this song is the ending. I think Mike sings it beautifully. 2/5

No More Sorrow - This song is going to be better live, I think. The drums sound weird. Parts of it sound like it needs more bass. Kind of tinny for me. I really love this song, though. I'm reminded of AFI, and I really enjoy listening to AFI. Lyrics don't disappoint me. Good, good, good! 5/5

Valentine's Day - This is one of my favorite songs on the album. I love how it builts up to the ending. This will be a favorite of mine for a long time. 5/5

In Between - I was really looking forward to hearing this song. I was very curious to hear what Mike sings like all alone. Weeeell... I'm very disappointed. It's just not good. I can't get into it at all. I find his voice to be monotone and annoying. Sorry, Mike!

I can tell why Chester didn't sing it, though. It fits Mike. 2/5

In Pieces - Another one of my favorites on the album. I love this song. The guitar solo isn't very complex, but I think it sounds good. Having just listened to the solo on Putting Holes In Happiness, Just a Car Crash Away, etc., though, I wasn't impressed by Brad's guitar playing. Great song, though! 5/5

The Little Things Give You Away - I really love this song. I think this is the best song lyrically. It's just great. My only complaint with it, though, is that I feel like I wait too much. The guitar solo takes too long to get going. They probably could have cut a minute out of the song with all that time I sat there waiting for something interesting to happen. Still, though, because I think this song is badass overall, I give it a 5/5.

The entire album: First listen I would give it a 3/5. Second listen I give it a 4/5. It's going down and up in my head. It's got a lot of weaknesses, in my opinion, but it's getting better and better. I really am only disappointed by Hands Held High and In Between.

silverblack89
05-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Well I have only heard three tracks so far. (I'm waiting to buy the C.D to hear them all.) But I'll review them:

Given Up: I like this song, its got feeling and it also touches back to their roots a bit. It is heavy and sounds really good! I also do believe this is the first time I have heard a curse word come into play. As far as the meaning of the song it doesn't go as deep as past songs. An overall good song.
4/5

What I've Done: Deep meaning great vocals and a great sound. It does not go heavy, it's a light song meant for its meaning. I compare this song to In The End (Hybrid Theory) and Breaking the Habit (Meteora) as far as its "place" into this Album. And just like those two songs LP nails it!
5/5

No More Sorrow: From the beggining it gives a feeling of a "rock anthem" And after about a minute of sick guitar, the vocals begin. It is a different style of vocals for chester but it rocks! It is the perfect mix of feeling with rock
5/5

Note: Given Up, and No More Sorrow were reviewed in accordance to the live version for AOL Music. Whick makes LP rock even harder!!!

Mark
05-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Well I have only heard three tracks so far. (I'm waiting to buy the C.D to hear them all.) But I'll review them:

Given Up: I like this song, its got feeling and it also touches back to their roots a bit. It is heavy and sounds really good! I also do believe this is the first time I have heard a curse word come into play. As far as the meaning of the song it doesn't go as deep as past songs. An overall good song.
4/5

What I've Done: Deep meaning great vocals and a great sound. It does not go heavy, it's a light song meant for its meaning. I compare this song to In The End (Hybrid Theory) and Breaking the Habit (Meteora) as far as its "place" into this Album. And just like those two songs LP nails it!
5/5

No More Sorrow: From the beggining it gives a feeling of a "rock anthem" And after about a minute of sick guitar, the vocals begin. It is a different style of vocals for chester but it rocks! It is the perfect mix of feeling with rock
5/5

Note: Given Up, and No More Sorrow were reviewed in accordance to the live version for AOL Music. Whick makes LP rock even harder!!!

I like this album, but judging by the songs you've heard so far, I'd recommend listening to the entire thing before buying it. You may be getting the wrong impression by those three songs. "Given Up" and "No More Sorrow" are the only hard-rock songs on the album, so if you're solely into Linkin Park for the hard rock portion of their sound, I think you may be disappointed. It's a ballad-heavy album, really. I don't know if you like slower rock songs, but I just wanted to give you a heads up so that you don't buy the album thinking it's something it isn't.

BeneathYourSkin
05-07-2007, 02:07 AM
lp used to be different than every other band out there n now they r just like all of them with this album... first off they should never ever work with ruben again cause all he did was kill there music career by influencing them to change their style.... second off there is not enough mike on this album what ever happened to the duel lead singer thing well thats gone now n i hope mike leaves the band and persues his solo career because he is a great rapper and should be able to show that n hes not gonna do it with lp..... they really need to go back to what made them if they dont they r gonna loose a lot of their hardcore fans n have a fan base of 13 year old girls with the backstreet boys being their opening act

First, check your grammar and spelling.

Secondly, don't be unintelligent. Most of this change was not because of Rick Ruben, most of it was because they wanted away from the nu metal scene.

Why would Mike leave a band he helped to create in the first place? He helped a lot more than just in the vocals: guitar, piano, writing, backup vocals.

Go back? Hell no. If they stay on track they'll find out who they really are in no time, I'm sure of it. If it's not who you turn out to like, then don't listen to it and don't bash it.

Please, lose their hardcore fans? I'm what I'd like to call a hardcore fan: Listened and loved from the beginning. They may get a younger audience with some of the music sounds, sure, but they will gain probably a lot of older listeners too. The messages in the music are much more mature that before (less of a teen-angsty feel IMO).

They've grown, their sound has grown, many of their fans have grown. This gets me to thinking: Maybe you should grow up too. Narrow mindedness is not welcome.

EagleMorph
05-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Don't forget, many older listeners or non-metal listeners are not a fan of screaming vocals, or even harshly sung vocals.

With predominantly sung vocals, with only a little bit of harshness, older listeners might be more inclined to give this album a listener. So it won't be just teeny-bopper's listening to this album.

Hell, I'm 21 and I avoid most screaming vocals. It adds nothing for me. An occasional one is fine, but entire songs that sound like a lion being castrated - or worse, frying squirrels - add no pleasure to my listening experience.

Matt
05-07-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm going to skip the song by song review and get to the whole picture.

I'll say it right up front: I'm disappointed. I was expecting a lot from this album, considering all the talk of progressing to a different sound and being nothing anyone has ever heard from the band. Needless to say, my hopes were not satisfied.

First off, I loved Given Up, as it's really a great opener and really agressive. Sadly, the following songs made me think, "What the hell is this?". I was completely let down by Mike's raps in Bleed It Out. What happened to the lines that actually reflected the time they took to write? I understand that this was a big change in style, but it could have been so much better than this. Next, Chester does great, but his lyrics are pretty weak, too, particularly in Valentine's Day. Brad also let me down pretty bad, too. When someone said "Brad doesn't solo because he doesn't like to show off", then hearing about there being a solo on the album, I flipped. However, when I listened to No More Sorrow and Little Things..., I thought it sounded like something I'd have played when I was 12. I mean, they just sound like they were thrown in for the sake of a solo. The rest of the band (Phoenix, Joe, Rob) did ok, although I heard hardly anything from Mr. Hahn. I actually heard bass, which means I can't argue about anything to do with it, and Rob did a good job in general.

Overall, I have to give MtM something like a 2.5 out of 5. It seemed like a great effort to stray away from nu-metal, but a half-assed effort at actually making a good album. It's true that this album may grow on me, as many things have, but I've listened to it about 4 times, and not much appeals to me. If there had just been a little of Mike's old poetic raps, and Brad's gigantic riffs, or even an exclusive Mr. Hahn instrumental, that could have made a difference to me. I just hope the band recognizes the flaws, and that we don't have to wait another 3 years to hear from them again.

Dart
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
They've grown, their sound has grown, .

and their hair has grown :) :)

i'm reviewing it later...

Will
05-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I had written a four-page review in Microsoft Word just now, but none of the text got copied to my clipboard. I'm really pissed off about that, because I put a lot of effort into my review. I'll retype it later this week and post it up so people realize and understand where I'm coming from when I say I don't like the album.

Anyway, the final score I gave the album was a 2/5.

Minus
05-07-2007, 06:50 AM
I had written a four-page review in Microsoft Word just now, but none of the text got copied to my clipboard. I'm really pissed off about that, because I put a lot of effort into my review. I'll retype it later this week and post it up so people realize and understand where I'm coming from when I say I don't like the album.

Anyway, the final score I gave the album was a 2/5.

Most of us understand, it's just the hardcore LP fans who just joined.

Feenix
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Wake:
It’s a pretty nice intro track which I would’ve liked to have seen developed into a full length track. The problem with it is that I think it gives you the wrong impression of the album. It’s guitar heavy and is a great opening but might lead you to believe the rest of the album will be like it. Which is isn’t.
3.5/5

Given Up:
My personal favourite by miles. If the whole album had lived up to the energy that this track delivers I would’ve been ecstatic. Lyrically this song is fairly cheap, but the power with which the lyrics are delivered easily makes up for that. The heavy punk rock vibe really makes this song the most exiting one on the record and I can see any crowd going wild to this one in a live show. Chester’s screaming in particular is just unbelievable and his literally 30 second long scream will leave you in awe.
I only have one problem with this track, and that’s that it’s too good. The album reaches it’s peak right here, right at the start and never lives up to it again. You can listen to the rest of the album hoping that an epic heavy as hell breakdown will make this one seem like nothing. But it never happens. This song is probably closest to what Linkin Park used to sound like, and in my opinion at least, they should’ve written more songs like this.
5/5

Leave Out All The Rest:
This track’s inspiring and thought-provoking lyrics make it one of the deepest tracks on the album. Musically, it has a kind of “Massive Attack” feel to it during the verses and the chorus turns into somewhat of an anthem. I can’t help but wonder though what this track would’ve been like with Mike doing some kind of rapping. It’s one of those songs that you kind of feel something is missing, which is true of most songs on this album. Nonetheless it’s a song with the kind of depth we’re used to from Linkin Park and can easily be listed to over and over without getting tired of it.
5/5

Bleed It Out:
Musically, this song can only really be described as “line-dancing-punk-rock-folk-metal”. It’s just strange. There is no variety to the chorus and it gets very tiring very quickly. The inclusion of Mike rapping is the only saving grace to this song but the rapping should’ve just been on a different song altogether. It’s kind of a catchy song but there’s not much too it and I’d rather listen to other songs on the album.
2/5

Shadow Of The Day:
Great song both musically and lyrically. I was at a beach yesterday and was listening to the album on my iPod. Out of all the songs on the album this one gave me the best feeling in that environment. It’s big, it’s got those epic qualities that some Linkin Park songs give, but in a different way. This is a lighters-out hand in hand arena song that fills you with such a great feeling. This really has the potential to be a timeless classic that touches a lot of people.
5/5

What I've Done:
This one’s been around for a while now and to be honest, I’m getting pretty sick of it. It’s great while listening to it but if it comes on my iPod, I just skip it. Chester’s vocals are great, the guitar is great, drums are great, everything is great. I just don’t think this song has the depth to keep me coming back to it.
3/5

Hands Held High:
It’s nice to have Mike doing some rapping but the first verse is a bit weak lyrically. The second verse is meaningful and creates a lot of pictures in your head but the first verse seems pointless. This, as many people have said could be a Fort Minor track. I don’t really think it has a place on this record and once again Mike’s rapping could have been put to better use on a different track.
2.5/5

No More Sorrow:
Hooray, another somewhat heavy track. Awesome guitar and drum work here with a great sonic sound. Most opinions of this song I see have a strong anti-Bush sentiment. I don’t know whether it’s cause I’m not American or something but I don’t really care a whole lot for people complaining about their governments, because they always do. If you’re not complaining about president 1 you’re complaining about president 2. It’s always the same. I hate it when bands get political and think it ruins songs lyrically. However, you can apply the lyrics in this song to a lot of situations, so that’s what I’m gonna do.
4/5

Valentine's Day:
Chester’s opening vocals in the first couple of lines are awful and scratchy. I think they knew this but Rick Rubin told them to keep that take in because they’ve just blindly gone along with everything Rick Rubin said so that they could try and sound as different as possible. The lyrics here are strong and the drum work is solid. I think a lot of this song is too soft and it only really gets good towards the end, especially the last 40 seconds or so.
2.5/5

In Between:
This song is dull and boring, extremely repetitive and never builds up to anything. Mike should not be doing the vocals. No offence to the dude but vocals are dead-pan and have no variety to them. The vocals only become alright when Chester dives in to help him out. This is easily the weakest song on the album and really should’ve never been here.
1/5

In Pieces:
Instrumentally, this song sounds like it’s desperately trying to sound different. It uses steel drums and indie sounding guitar parts and I don’t think they mix well. It’s a weak song and is really missing something. It doesn’t have the same quality of sound that a lot of the songs of this album do and once again, a different sound could’ve filled this space on the record.
2/5

This song was hyped a little too much, I thought it was gonna be the greatest thing ever. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still amazing, but not in the way I thought it was gonna be. I love how this song goes on for 6 and a half minutes and doesn’t get tiring. The lyrics are truly amazing and I do hope the length of this song doesn’t stop it being made into a single cause it deserves to be.
5/5

lparks41
05-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Overall Linkin Park has done it again and made quite an exceptional album. While some songs are a lot better then others in my opinion, the goods seem to outweigh the bads and I can't wait to buy it at Best Buy next week. Here's my track by track review....

01. Wake 8/10...Very nice beggining to this album. I love how the electronic feel kind of accelerates into a jam session with the band at the end. I feel like 'Wake' would be an awesome intro to a live Linkin Park show, having the curtains fall when the guitars start playing and then whent the songs over everything goes black again until they play the first song. This is what I envision through Wake, a live scene...

02. Given Up 8.5/10...Very awesome, heavy Lp track. This is probably the song I listen to more then any one on the album I'd have to honestly say. It's easy to get hooked on Given up, and it is way different then anything Lp has ever done. It has a sixties guitar style, it almost reminds me of Pantera or something. I don't know what it is, but I can feel the energy in my veins during the bridge. This song is just rock the hell out and go crazy, awesome song...

03. Leaving Out all the rest 4/10....Probably my least favorite song on this album. I wasn't impressed very much at all by the lyrics, but I will admit that this song has kind of a catchy melodic sound in the background to it. I like the music in the background, just not the lyrics. It all seems a little too emo to me. I know this will be a fan favorite though so ill try not to hate too much on it...lol

04. Bleed It Out 7/10....This is an alright track. When I hear this track I think punk rock. This is the most punk rock song on the album. I wasn't too impressed by how it was put together and I know it was done on purpose to make it seem so differet, but to me this is not really a memorable track. It is fun and listenable though.

05. Shadow of the Day..9/10 This is the perfect Linkin Park song. We all say that it reminds us of U2's With or without you, but whatever..It's a great song...lol This song is catchy has a beautiful chorus and seems single worthy. I know a lot of people will relate to it.

06. What I've Done 9/10 The lyrics on this song are perfect and in general the song is one of if not the best song on the album. I like the whole them of What I've Done, moving on from the past and trying to start a new life...great stuff....

07. Hands Held High 8/10 Very nice one from Mr. Shinoda, but when I first heard this song I was like...Eminem's Toy Soldiers? They sound almost exactly the same, except for what Mike was talking about. Even how it was delivered seemed similiar, but either way it's still one of my favorites from this one.

08. No More Sorrow 6/10 This song is kind of in the toss up with me. Yes it does have a nice guitar/druming anthem to it, but the lyrics seem too over rated. This song just seems too savy on politics and the War in Iraq to enlighten my tastes. I mean politics is something you have to face in real life and you can't ignore it, but it's kind of like when your at the diner table you don't want to hear about it. Same thing goes for the record, I don't like it being shoved down my throat. But writing songs about anti-war seems to be the norm for all famous bands now, it's almost inebidble, so what can you do? I like the song, but it's defenetly not the best on the album.

09. Valentines Day 4/10 I'm going to be honest, I've probably only listened to this song twice, so I can't give you that great of a review of it, but I just can't seem to get into this song at all. The lyrics seem really lame and unfortunate and not something I would expect Lp to write about anyway, so I usually just hit the fast forward when I get to this song.

10. In Between 8.5/10 This song is very different and the first time I heard it I was like...huh? But I soon caught up with it and the lyrics were stuck in my head...I think it's a great song and Mike can sing if he wanted too, but he should sing a little louder and then it would sound perfect. I mean Mike can sing, but it's seems like he's almost being shy about it. But either way it is really good lol

11. In Pieces 10/10 By far the best track on the entire album and probably one of my all time favorite Linkin Park songs. This song has a huge depth and I get really emotional after I hear this song and I totally break down. I just love this song and what it means and I can apply the meaning to my own life situation. It's probably better if I don't listen to this song too much though, because I get pretty depressed.

12. The Little Things Give You Away 09/10 I knew from the first time I heard this song that it was beautiful and outstanding, but it's grown even more on me since the first listen and I love to actually sing this song, because I memorized most of it just today. It would be sweet to see this live, one moment of total euphoria. This song really strikes a chord.

cam4mav
05-09-2007, 04:52 AM
First Post, ive listened to LP for years now, the first song i got hooked on was points of authority, then in the end, i was sold since. Im the type of guy that has a weird imagination and loves all well done music from country to rap to heavy metal to trance :D

the ablum has a story to it i think, i read a post on here somewhere about it being a concept album, and i pretty much was completely convinced by it but i forget exactly where i saw it. So if its your idea, props, im just rewriting it as i see the album in my head with the direction i took from that post.

1) Wake 10/10
good intro, builds up nicely, tops off right when you expect it to, then slowly fades away leaving you wanting more or feeling like something is missing. (perfect for an intro) Sets the mood for the record (lots of ups and downs emotionally)

i imagine the intro being like a fight, including the hard work and preperation, everything leading up to it, then BAM final fight hits, you give it all you have, then you realize it makes no difference so you just fade away into nothingness feeling empty and wasted.

2) Given Up 8/10
I love the clapping, gives it a live sound, this is such an infectious song, i get into it every time i hear it, its a bit repetitive but that only takes a little away from the song, i love it, the guitar and drums just get me hooked. I want to see this live

I see this song a being the aftermath of the battle, feeling meaningless, powerless, feeling like giving up. Anger builds up and just explodes out of you, yelling and screaming at the world for not even noticing you, pushing you to the side, being powerless to stop the bad in the world.

3) Leave Out All The Rest 6/10
This song is slower, almost like the calm after a storm. Its a nice ballad type song, the chorus is good but not great, the song gets better as it goes on, the background instrementals picking up in volume over the course of the song gives a feeling of a build up to something important. Overall an ok song, but i skip it when listening to my ipod, nothing really stands out about it. Good for an easy relaxing listen.

This song is where you sit back and think, now that the anger is gone, about what to do next, what should i do? What direction do i go now to get my message across?

4) Bleeding Out 9/10
Awesome Song, brings you in wonderfully with Mike's Rapping, the first four lines are my favorite from the album, just sounds badass to me, like Mike is just saying, 'you know what, fuck it, here we go again but hold nothing back and let something great shine.' I love the song, catchy chorus, great begging, BUT IT ENDS TO SHORT! I WANT MORE I WANT MORE!

This song is like a ceremony, the start is walking to it, meeting friends, and getting started on stripping yourself of everything, taking yourself down to your core, and becoming a new thing, ready to rebuild after being stripped to nothing.

5) Shadow Of the Day 7.5/10
Starts off sounding almost like U2 in a weird way to me, starts off slow and almost depressing, but picks up and becomes almost inspirational, a very hopeful track that sets an optimistic mood turing the bad into a good. Great for a sit down listen but wouldnt get my attention if it hit the radio or if i was looking for a song to show a friend. Definately an full album listen song, but a great one for that.

This is when you reflect on the new you, not sure whether or not to be ashamed of yourself or not, Getting used to the changes, thinking about what you lost. Then you start to have hope for the future while remembering where you came from, keeping those lessongs in tact while moving forward

6) What I've Done 10/10
Awesome Piano, drags you in quick, hooks you. The chorus is good almost great, the drums are sharp and intesne, keeping you hooked during the slower parts, intesifying the chrous. As the song continues it gets faster and more intense, you feel completely within the song and its a great thing. I love this song, listen after listen i feel great after hearing it.

Expressing to the world that you have changed. Showing no regret, no hard feelings towards the past. Like the new you is completely rid of the old, no more connection, time to move on towards the goal, rebuilding of yourself is complete.

7) Hands Held High 6/10
dramatic marching drums, Mikes rapping clearly has meaning, a deep substance behind it. Its clear and listens well, The Amen's are a nice different touch, sounds much more like a Mike rap than an LP track but it fits well in the album.

Looking around at the world in front of you, examining your options, you become scared for the world, chaos, dissaray, indifference by those in power to help, the world turns a blind eye to even the worst tradgedies.

8) No More Sorrow 10/10
Intro Syths are cool, great drums/guitar matching, feels like an Epic track to start with, gives off a great vibe that sucks me in for the entire song. Chesters Vocals are perfectly placed, not overpowered by the forcefull instruments, but bleded perefectly. You feel his emotion and the bands blend together in a thrashing harmony that energizes and clears your mind at the same time. Freaking kick ass i Say, perfect length
much like a start of a war, stops for a second, almost like an army getting its last moment of peace, then Bam it goes all out, full on forefullness and aggressiveness. Each moment of the song is a blow to the 'enemy'

Taking up arms against that which needs to be brought down. Declaring War essestially, then battling with everything you have, all out effort, a release of all harnesses, balls to the wall fighting with a purpose

9) Valentines Day 8/10
Chesters singing is so emotional he starts out almost sounding like he had been choked up before. The guitar is simple but suited to the song, deep bass drums in the baclground set the mood along with the Bass. A story telling song, nice piano in the middle-end, sets up the guitar kick in, Chesters voice is great, the combination of all the instruments from like 2:20 on is really a great moment in the album, a beautifull section of music really. This saves the song, taking it from forgettable to a part i look forward to.

This song didnt say anything to me other than you feel alone at a time where all you want is the support of those around you

10) In Between 5/10
Mike singing.....didnt expect that but i honestly like it, the background serves just to keep you paying attention to the song cause his voice is almost like singing a lull-a-by. Chesters background vocals keep the song listenable really. Its relaxing and ok to listen to if i want to be chilled out or relax, but it doesnt seem to fit the album to me, it could dissapear and the album wouldnt be missing anything.

11) In Pieces 8/10
Engaging intro, makes you wonder whats around the corner. Chesters vocals are clear and go very well with the mood of the background beats. The song picks up very slowly, more bass comes in, then the drums and guitar and it feels like a full song, the guitar reminds me of the police for some reason, maybe its just that note, the drums make it feel like its all leading up to something great, the bass picks up some more, i love the songs set up. BOOM guitar solo Time! very impressive, the second part of the solo feels like a culmination everything, very upbeat and satisfying ending to the song.

12) The Little Things Give You Away
Acoustic Guitar with scrathed syths in the background...works wonderfully! Chesters voice is once again great. Songs about Katrina, sounds like Chester is really feeling the pain of the Hurricaine Victims, A good melodic background set with electric guitar that comes in. Drums come in, putting an exclamation point to this point of this song, it continues building, then slows and fades for a period, the same syths scrathing with drums and some orchestra strings, some guitar, then an emotional guitar solo, like a crowinging point of the whole album. Song continues, Chester Scream/hums beautifully (dont know how to describe it) Mike comes in singing little things give you away, chester, still humming, also comes in with some more vocals, its a wonderfull collection of all things LP, then the instuments cut out and the vocals continue for two verses, a simply magnificent ending to the album. I feel complete and content, with a weight lifted off my shoulders and a fresh feeling.

Thank you LP!

Overall I give it a 8/10
it had to grow on me, i had to listen to it alot as a whole album to really like it. The thing that i was dissapointed with was the basic lack of Joe Han and Mike should have had more rapping in Bleed it Out, that would have made the song even better.

PS: Glad to be a part of the board :)

hyogen
05-09-2007, 09:07 AM
ok, so i downloaded it. Wish I could afford the super fan book.

When I first heard Linkin Park about 5 years ago, I didn't like it. I think I heard Crawling in the Dark and felt it was a very heavy song. A lot more heavy than I was used to. I was more into soft rock and poppish rock songs...and classical movie soundtracks (like John Williams). I quickly started liking some of Linkin Park's more mainstream songs like Numb, Somewhere I belong, and In The End...and started to LOVE them. This was the FIRST time I had ever actually LIKED RAP music...it was just AMAZING to me how rap and rock/alternative/whatever it was was so beautifully blended. It just blew my mind away.

Then came the Reanimation cd and then the Jay Z + Linkin Park CD...and I didn't like them. I felt the original songs were WAYY better and thought the new ones sounded like poop. Now I actually like them a whole lot...sometimes even more than the original songs. They sound so diverse and rich.

There's probably not a day that goes by that I don't hear one of Linkin Park's songs on my iPod in my car.

I love their music to death.

After hearing the first few songs, I was definitely disappointed. WHERE WAS MIKE'S RAPPING? WHERE WAS JOE'S SCRATCHING?!

I have heard the whole album now...and can tell you that I actually like it a lot. Some of the songs aren't as memorable as most of their old songs, but they're definitely deep and catchy. I miss Joe's scratching and wish I could hear more of Mike's rapping, but this new sound is quite refreshing. I can see how some people are very pissed off this album sounds so different, but I wonder myself how much I'll listen to the older Linkin Park when I am like 35, 45, 55 years old. I'm 25 now btw.

well, that was my .02. I cleared out my ipod shuffle and put just these songs on there. I'm gonna go fall asleep to it right now ;)

Tomi
05-10-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm still waiting until I get a copy of the CD [or download a proper FLAC rip] till I make a proper review.

Minus
05-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Wake
It's typical LP intro stuff. Piano, synth, with a guitar coming in at the end. As a song, I like it, but it doesn't really represent the album very well. But I guess I should say that NONE of the songs represent the album well. I like the 6/8 time, and the bassline when the guitars come in is amazing.

9/10

Given Up
The handclaps are annoying. I could definitely do with a lot less of that... there weren't handclaps in any of the clips we had before, were there? I didn't like this song too much until I heard the full track, now it's pretty good. Standard LP fare, though the bridge is amazing (minus the 'Put me out of my - put me out of my fuckin' misery'). The 'fucks' in this song seem unwarranted only to fit enough syllables into the structure. The scream is amazing. Ends prematurely.

8/10

Leave Out All The Rest
The Justin Timberlake-esque vocals caught me off guard. The lyrics in this one are superb. I can tell you that even though they've matured (and the lyrics as well), I can still relate to their songs, which is a big plus. The chorus is catchy and it ends well.

9/10

Bleed It Out
Ah, I had a hard time with this one. The guitar work is interesting and catchy, the raps are pretty standard Fort Minor material (a mix of the mixtape and the album I'd say), but the chorus. My god. That chorus. I despise that chorus. I mean, seriously, all you can say is 'I bleed it out, dig it deeper just to throw it away'? Over and over? It's repetitive and I need a lot of patience to just skip after that. The screams in the bridge are cool though. But then the chorus comes in again. Definitely one of their weaker songs. The saving grace of this song is the length of the track. I don't mind tracks being this short if the quality is like this.

5/10

Shadow of the Day
With or Without You part two? Well, it's definitely one of the 'happier' sounding songs of the album, and it's definitely catchy. The guitar during the bridge (when it follows the chorus progression of the vocals I think) is fun. Definitely one of the songs where you can tell that Chester can sing. The strings are a nice addition, and it's definitely a good song.

9/10

What I've Done
We all know this one. Nothing much I can say about it except it's the best representation of their old style on this record. With that said, I wouldn't have minded if a few more songs like this one were on there. It's the same old same old, but done well and in an interesting way. The lyrics could have been a bit better, but the instrumentation is great.

7/10

Hands Held High
It's a rap about Bush. And the best rapping song on here. But again, like the last rap track, the chorus is lacking. I love this song to death, but to me it just feels like it would be better on a Fort Minor record. I wouldn't have minded some more guitar. The end of this song is cash.

9/10

No More Sorrow
What can I say, I love the guitar and the drums on this one. Mike's harmonies are infectious here (I usually sing the harmonies on this song when I'm in the car). There are a few things I nitpick on, like, the in and out of the guitar at the beginning (when the drums come in, the guitars are there for one measure with the drums, the drums come in alone, the drums and guitar come in again, etc.), and the brevity of the bridge (and the bridge itself to a degree), and Brad's guitar part continuing through the last part of the chorus (around 3:17) don't ring in my ears well. But otherwise, I think this song is boss.

8/10

Valentine's Day
Really if I look at it objectively, there's nothing wrong with the song. The lyrics are good, the guitar work is better than Meteora (which is all I asked for), and Chester sings amazingly in this one. The chorus is a bit lacking, and the end is pretty standard (although satisfying after all the build-up) But I just... don't like this song. I don't know why. But I don't. Maybe it'll grow on me, but *shrug*

5/10

In Between
Mike's track. It's a good song, definitely not typical LP, and very hypnotic. I'd have loved more guitar and whatnot, but it's a good song. My only beef with it is we KNOW Mike can sing a more diverse range than what's on this song (which almost sounds monotone). I'd have loved for Mike to sing another song, not any of the ones on this album necessarily, but one that stands out more, I guess. The song is good, but a big underuse of Mike's potential.

7.5/10

In Pieces
I love this song. The chorus is catchy and I love the way it builds up. The beginning reminds me of Into The Void by Nine Inch Nails. The drums are badass on this track, especially at the beginning. This song is just so... damn... catchy. The ska-esque guitar is fun. This feels like a perfect song to me, with one exception - it's WAY too short (the only thing keeping me from giving this song a perfect score. I'm hoping this one is played live and extended.

9.9/10

The Little Things Give You Away
The much-hyped song is a good ender, if not a bit (only a bit) of a letdown. I expected a superbly amazing song here, and I got a greatly amazing song. It's shades of gray I know, but you know how it is. The vocals feel very old school rock, and remind me of Stairway To Heaven for some reason. The build-up is slow (almost too slow for my tastes), but the guitar during the bridge is just so emotional and perfectly complement the lyrics. The vocals are catchy. I sing this one even if my music isn't on. Mike's vocals are I think the best in this song. The acapella at the end is quite superb.

9.5/10

Overall, I feel like this seems to not be 'the next step of Linkin Park,' but rather a transitional stage between the old Linkin park and what will be the new Linkin Park. It shows off Mike and Chester's singing skills, and it seems like everyone has stepped up (with exception of Phoenix, but then again I can't really hear basslines with this copy anyways) their games. This isn't the best record by them by far, but it ranks better than Meteora and it's always good to see the band trying new things out. I could do with some more cohesiveness, and it feels like the songs are also split into 'this song is Chester showing you what he can do, this song is Brad showing you how he's changed, this song is Mike etc. etc.). If we were going by averages, this album ranks a 8/10, but I feel like it deserves an 8.5/10 for me.

wolfboy
05-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Coming from an ex-hardcore LP fan that has moved on to better things, I will give a very short summary of what I think of the album. One, I have very low expectations from LP. I don't think Chester is a good lyric writer. Mike can write good lyrics (Fort Minor mixtape), but he probably intentionally holds it back for mainstream albums. Two, I still don't think Brad is a good guitar player, but I'll give him props for at least trying now. It's a step in the right direction. Three, Phoenix, fucking do something instead of following the guitar the whole time. Four, to be honest, they don't really need Mr. Hahn in the band anymore (face it, even if you like the guy, he really does nothing half the time). Joe should probably just strive for what he really likes and go further in the movie business. Anyway, the best tracks are the ones that show what LP do best: create catchy tunes.

1. Wake - good intro, good instrumentals. 4/5

2. Given Up - This is the only track apart from Wake that has a notable bass line. Shit lyrics. "Put me out of my fucking misery?" Horrible. It's such a waste because I love the long scream after. 3/5

3. Leave out all the Rest - I'm gonna wager this is the next single. Catchy poprock song. 4/5

4. Bleed it Out - It's like Mike tried to make up for his vocal absence by stuffing in his best lyrics (on an LP album) into the 2 songs he raps on in this album. Chester's growl in this song is great. A lot of diversity in his singing on MtM. 3.5/5

5. Shadow of the Day - More poprock and another extremely catchy song. This is also single material, will probably be the 3rd single. Chester expands with his singing capabilities again. Brad with different effects on his guitar (reminds me of 80s rock)? I'm digging it. 5/5

6. What I've Done - First time I heard this song, I thought "This is the same shit". Way to go picking a safe single. 1/5

7. Hands Held High - Shinoda coming in again with great lyrics. I'm betting that his little thing with Fort Minor helped him get his creative juices flowing again. I can't help but think that Mike is now kind of a superstar that 4/5

9. No More Sorrow - This song sounded better in the live bootleg with the bloated bass. This studio version just sounds too "clean". AFI sounding, you've all heard it. 3.5/5

10. Valentine's Day - A 3rd catchy poprock song. It's like they stopped trying to hide the fact that they're poprock by veiling it with angst/powerchords and just went with it from here on out. 4/5

11. In Between - Shinoda's solo singing track. He needs a studio backing track but I don't blame him. He's not a singer. Good effort. 4/5

12. In Pieces - Catchy chorus. I just laughed at the solo in this song haha. It will lead to better things in the future though...just gotta get hazed along the way. Good effort. 4/5

13. The Little Things Give you Away - Not surprisingly, the best song on the album...or the best thing LP has done. Period. The solo could've used more pull-offs/hammer ons, but I still like it. This song got stuck in my head for days. 5/5

Overall, I like the new sound. I'd rather get this then have them release another Hybrid Theory. I can't really expect Rob to pull off Danny Carrey level drumming, Brad to do John Petrucci solos, Phoenix to do Red Hot Chili Peppers slapbass, or NIN level songwriting, but they could still improve with their playing if they keep practicing and experimenting. For the next album, I'd like for Phoenix to reach the technicality level of at least the bass player for Alien Ant Farm and Rob to reach the level of the old drummer for Lostprophets. Brad should be able to get to the level of Sum41's guitarist and Mike should practice more if he's going to step back as rhythm guitarist. If they can do that, then we have ourselves a band on equal footing as Incubus (not lyrically though).

Dean
05-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Okay, here's my review from another thread with a bit more added.

Wake: It's about as good as I think an intro could be. It sounds a bit like something from White Pony by Deftones, only more upbeat, and I suppose you could say MTM is LP's White Pony.

Given Up: This song reminds me of certain songs from King For A Day by Faith No More, only even nastier but not quite as good. It might be simple but I love the bassline in the verses, however I can see myself growing tired of this song quicker than anything else on the album because of its simplicity. It definitely packs more of a punch than any other Linkin Park song, though.

Leave Out All The Rest: I love the sampling and vocals in this song. Incidentally it was my least favourite songs from the album judging by the clips but now it's one of my favourites. Just beautiful.

Bleed It Out: I love the first verse but it doesn't do much for me after that. I think it shows that LP could probably have taken their old style further without actually doing much of that itself. It's an enjoyable song but if it were much longer than it is it'd be pretty annoying.

Shadow Of The Day: Since HT I've aquired a taste for 'big' sounding songs and this does that really well.

What I've Done: I've heard it so many times now that it's lost it's original power but it's still miles better than pretty much any other single they've released other than In The End and maybe Papercut.

Hands Held High: The rapping's pretty decent and it sounds nothing like Toy Soldiers to me. To begin with thought it was very dull overall. The best parts are the sung parts towards the end, definitely.

No More Sorrow: I'd rather have more lead guitar like this than the wankery other people wanted. This is something like what Miss Murder would sound like if it were a) good and b) not desperately trying to sound like any given song off American Idiot, only darker.

Valentine's Day: This is easily the weakest song on the album for it's first half. It just goes nowhere and the lyrics aren't very good. Then after the piano and drum fill halfway through it gets pretty good.

In Between: Like a lot of people I'd rather hear Mike rapping or singing harmonies with Chester. I still enjoy Mike's singing though and I guess it makes a change from the drama of most of Chester's singing on the album, and I love the music, especially how the keys sound quite upbeat during the first bar or so and then quickly take a downward turn. My favourite lyrics on the album too.

In Pieces - This is my favourite song on the album. I love how it sounds almost like The Police. It's the perfect mix of tenderness and energy. Just for the record, it's not indie, not even in the Razorlight/Arctic Monkeys sense. In Between comes much closer.

The Little Things Give You Away: This is probably my second favourite song on the album. It's hard to believe that this is the same band who recorded Meteora and I agree with the band member who said it shows what LP can achieve musically, even if I prefer In Pieces.

I'd give it 7.5/10 which will probably rise the more I listen to it.

Luke
05-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I keep listening to the album and the more I listen, the more I like. I have a feeling some people who gave the album negative reviews might change their opinions somewhere down the line.

schaper
05-13-2007, 03:52 AM
i think the hole album is awesome. i think is great that have put some slower songs on the CD. very different from their old albums. Given up is my favorite song and bleed it out is a lot of fun.

jd95
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM

1/5

Dude if you didn`t like it why don`t you sell it or go buy something else.

Agent Sideburns
05-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Wake- it really gave that feeling of "waking" when that guitar came in. Definitely a very good intro to a great album^^. 10/10

Given Up- I knew that this will be one of my favourite tracks the moment I heard that first 30 second clip. Heavy stuff with rough lyrics makes it a master. 10/10

Leave Out All The Rest- I guess this is the first track that gave me goose bumps^^. I simply love it. Yes, there're pop influences in it but that's what makes it enjoyable. It has rich lyrics and I feel that it's one of the few LP songs which are lyrically strong. 10/10

Bleed It Out- I'm a fan of hip-hop/rap music and was looking forward to this track the most. It turned out exactly the way I imagined it to be. The rough, flawlessly executed verses by Mike were simply superb. Yes, I agree that the the chorus was a bit repetitive, but the bridge/guitar solo makes up for that^^. 10/10

Shadow Of The Day- this track, I'm afraid, still hasn't grown on me. Like most, I too can clearly see the U2 influence (With or Without You :P) in this track. However, I really can't help but praise the lyrics. It's just great. 7/10

What I've Done- as Rob said in an interview, I too believe that this is the song that sounds the most like the older LP stuffs. Yet again LP have shown their lyrics writing capability with this song. Definitely one of my favourite songs in the album. 9/10

Hands Held High- this song turned out quite opposite the way I thought it'd be. But none the less I was amazed to see the way Mike delivered his verses. This track probably has my favourite lines in the whole album (or perhaps in all the LP albums). 10/10

My brother had a book he would hold with pride
A little red cover with a broken spine.
In the back he hand wrote a quote inside,
when the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

No More Sorrow- love it! Love the agression. Love the lyrics. Love the message it holds. 10/10

Valentine's Day- I was looking forward to this song, but I'm afraid that it has let me down. The chorus simply slaughters the song but like most of the other songs this one also has superb lyrics. Moreover, I love the drum work too. 6/10

In Between- wow Mike singing for the first time in an LP record :D! I really wasn't sure what to expect but I feel that this track deserves to be praised. 9/10

In Pieces- this song is the shit! Definitely one of the upcoming singles! The surprising solo from Brad really makes this track a beautiful one. Moreover, the verses and the chorus lyrically strong and damn catchy. I believe that this track shows the depth and diversity in the record. I give it a well deserved 10/10

The Littel Things Give You Away- hmm what can I say? I was expecting something like Breaking The Habit but it's a good track none the less. From the first listen the song sounded to me as if it should be in a Kung-Fu movie or something like that :lol:. Yes, the latter part is kind of repetitive, making it less enjoyable. But overall it's a good track. 8/10

Overall: this might sound crazy but I get a gypsy vibe in this album:lol:. Ok, this album, in no way, is a let down. I love it and I'm glad that it sounds different and more matured than the previous efforts by LP. Lyrically it easily beats HT & Meteora. What makes Minutes To Midnight unique? It's sounds as if they are PERFORMING-THE-SONGS-LIVE! Now that's something that is hard to pull! 9.5/10

FullMetal Classicist
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Wake - Not bad at all. The guitars sound good and it is an atmospheric tune, despite it's length. 8/10

Given Up - When they played the clips I didn't like it but it has grown on me now it's available in full. Lyrically it is a bit weak in the verses, not the poetic verses of old but simplified (for the masses?). The guitars are awesome and the chorus is very catchy but the tune sounds unpolished, which I know they were going for but it just doesn't feel quite finished. 8/10

Leave out all the Rest - When i first heard this tune I cringed due to its poppy chorus and altogether un-Linkin Park sound. 5 minutes later I was singing it absent-mindedly round the house. Annoyingly catchy tune that is best summed up as 'nice' It covers feeling and loss in a user friendly way. Personally I like it, but I just don't love it. 7/10

Bleed it out - Another anoyyingly catchy tune. I've always liked Linkin Park because they were very personal, and listening to them and even seeing them in concert felt like they were singing only to and about you. The inclusion of the crowd in the background takes away from that. Also, I've listened to it a good few times and still have yet to work out what it's about at all. Mike Shinoda's rapping is lifted from Fort Minor and while I liked Fort Minor I loved his poetic, picture painting raps in their old material (especially Pre-Hybrid Theory). However, it sounds like the band are having fun and that rubs off on you as a listener, and Brad's guitar is simple and lively. 6/10

Shadow of the Day - I didn't like this track when i first heard it, and I still don't. I'm not against slow songs, and 'My December' was awesome. This song is just very bad. It seems more like a showcase for the unarguable vocal talent of Chester Bennington than a band production. Repetative and predictable. 4/10

What I've done - A very safe first single due to its similarity to the old style. If Linkin Park wanted to branch out a little this song is what they should have taken as a benchmark. It sounds like Linkin Park doing something fresh and new, with new guitars and a new attitude, instead of some of the other songs on the album which sound like them trying to be different in any way possible. Great song, good lyrics, can tell all of the band is on it! 10/10

Hands held High - Bush bashing. I'm British and have no problem with this (we were born to complain, you see). Good track, Mike's rapping is accomplished and it was nice to hear him sing at the end. The 'Amen' chorus is a little cheesy but very epic, and works well with the end singing. Very Fort Minor though. 8/10

No More Sorrow - Really liked this song live, like the studio version too. It's political but generic so as to not pigeon hole itself. The crunchy guitars and sharp drums are brilliant. Great riffs, great lyrics, good character. Probably my favourite song on the album, even if it is a little Green Day in tone. 10/10

Valentine's day - This took a few listenings and I still don't love it. The lyrics are very poigniant (can't spell that) and i like its build up, but I think it goes on much to long and is much to emo for Linkin Park and many of their fans. The ending is also very repetative and is only saved by it's catchyness and mainstream tone. 5/10

In Between - Poor Mike. He seems to get a lot of stick for this track. I quite like his voice actually, and the sparse backing intrumental fits the tune well. It's just a shame about the lyrics. Overwhelmingly simple and laughably repetative, and yet they don't say anything to me at all. It sounds more like a test for his voice rather than a well reasoned song. If he was to have his own track I'd rather he do some old style rap and singing. 6/10

In peices - As unpopular as this opinion may be, I just don't see what everyone sees in this song. It sounds like Chester Bennington had a girl write it and then sung it from her perspective (if that's indeed what he did then I apologise for he has done a good job). That's not necassarily a bad thing but this voice gave us "One step Closer" and "Place for my head", it just doesn't work. And while I agree that technically the guitar solo is better than in TLTTGYA, it is by no means good. My friends heavily ridiculed me for claiming it was a progression towards a solo! Also, I have this overwhelming feeling that if Avril Lavigne had sung it it would of been better and I might have liked it. 4/10

The Little Things that give you Away - I really like this song. It's atmospheric, accomplished and different yet it is full of the old Linkin park attitude. The tune was great the Guitar solo (more of a melody) is well done, not to much but distinctive. Chester's voice is great and the lyrics are haunting. The ending is epic with Mike and Chester and the quitars and effects going on simultaniously. Brilliant Track and I haven't found anyone who dislikes it 10/10

Overall I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with this album. It is definitely the weakest of the Linkin Park albums and feels more like a demo or concept album than a real Linkin Park release. It sounds like they took Avril Lavigne, Green Day, My Chemical Romance and other punk/emo bands and then injected little bits of themselves into what is essentially not their music. I also feel let down by the hype, i didn't hear any old school hip hop or classic rock on this album, despite the music being described as such by the band.

I've been listening to Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory, I also have copies of the Xero demo tape and The Hybrid Theory Demo CD, which I think are absolutely brilliant. I also loved 'It's Goin Down' with the Executioners. In the 7 or 8 years that I've been listening to Linkin Park (I'm 20 now) nothing at all suggested that they wished to release songs like these, not even 'Qwerty' which I feel unfairly built up false hopes and expectations of the new album. i don't think it's unfair to expect better from Linkin Park as this album seems to be different for the sake of being different, not because this is what Linkin Park are Pasionate about or what their fans actually want. Because of this I can really only give the album (as an experience and as the third studio album of my long term favourite band) 6 out of 10

Foreshadowed_LP
05-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Right, after listening to the album 3 times over, it it time to give my all-important feedback to Linkin Park's third album entitled 'Minutes to Midnight':

1. Wake: This was a very creative beginning to start off the album. It is slightly misleading however, once the heavy guitars kick in - but overall this is a catchy instrumental. I hope this becomes a routine on other (hopeful) Linkin Park albums in the future. I also adore the way it starts off slow and builds up into this epic heavy instrumental at the end... and then the clapping for the second song kicks in immediately. I think that flows well together.
Total Overall: 8.5/10

2. Given Up: This is one of the heaviest punk songs I have ever heard. You can hear Phoenix in there with a strong bass, which is great and Chester's immense and malicious screaming in this, which he has forced to the highest level he possibly can is sick (in a positive way). The way he holds onto the "MISERY!" note is very impressive and one of Chester's best vocal performances period, on a LP album. The way the final chorus is softer than the first two versions of the chours is a nice touch also as it shows a more lively feel to the song, emphasising the rawness to this song.
Total Overall: 9/10

3. Leave Out All The Rest: I found the beginning quite catchy actually and then when it lead into the chorus I was overwhelmed with how good this song actually was. It stuck in my head for ages, especially the second half to the chorus. No idea why, but I just preferred the lyrics to the chorus at the end. Chester sang beautifully in this song and I don't think its too poppy that people are making it out to be. Listening to the song at full volume on my stereo, the guitars that kick in are awesome. In the aftermath of hearing the whole Minutes to Midnight album, this will be one of the songs remaining unremoved from your memory. Perfect pop-rock song.
Total Overall: 10/10

4. Bleed It Out: This is one of the greatest songs Linkin Park have ever written, performed and evolved into their list of unforgettable songs. This is one of my favourites off the album. Mike Shinoda raps likewise to his Fort Minor roots, and this made the song all the more impressive for me. Chester's screaming vocals were also enjoyable and even though Brad's guitar was simple and basic, I couldn't get it out of my head for several hours. The crowd in the background clapping and yelling I found aggravating at first, but then I found it completed the song structure altogether. It made the song sound even more live and this was another positive. If this is made into a future single, I'll be over the moon. I also laughed when Mike goes, "Going out of my fucking mind, filthy mouth, no excuse..." great part to the song there. Fantastic song and the Minutes to Midnight album is surpassing my expectations even more at this point...

5. Shadow Of The Day: At first this song did not stand out for me. I found it bland and that it did not lead into a safe and satisfying direction for me. However, after a few more listens this became a truly classical song in my book. The lyrics are one of the greatest pieces of writing LP have ever written. The chorus is the centrepoint of this song, which highlights that LP do not always right abysmal lyrics as some people make out they do (I love their lyrics nonetheless). The song builds up even more towards the end when the guitars emerge into the song, which again was a great addition. Chester's ambitious voice here was so soulful and amazing, I am very pleased with how his vocal performance has progressed over the last 6 years.

6. What I've Done: I have heard this song so many times now and to be honest, it never gets old. The introduction is perfect for the song and the bridge to this I find I am always singing on the way up to college or in lessons. Best bridge ever - FACT! The mini-guitar solo is fantastic and Chester displays a very enjoyable vocal range in this song. Every time I listen to this song it reminds me of the old LP, mixed in with the new LP. You can identify the aspects in the song of where LP are actually saying farewell to their original roots. Good song and very meaningful.
Total Overall: 8.5/10

7. Hands Held High: I am a fan of Fort Minor and some rap/hip hop genres. I enjoyed the marching drumbeats during this and Mikes rapping was top notch. The lyrics only became cheesy when the 'Amen' chorus was introduced, but Mike's song-writing was excellent throughout. Mike Shinoda is a very skillful and talented rapper and I hope he is more involved in the future if LP do make a fourth album. My only complaint was I do wish some words were added into the chorus. Maybe Chester singing a few words in ths mix of this would have created a stronger song for me.
Total Overall: 8/10

8. No More Sorrow: How kick-ass and in your face is this introduction? Rob Bourdon shows why he is one of the most talented drummers out there. The war-esque drum beats are what you can imagine - they beat through you like a raging motherfucker! Chester does a very proficient job again in this song. From his angry singing to his intense screams, this song shows the negative side to Linkin Park. If this is directed at obliterating George Bush, fine by me as I'm British. But some part of this song does make me believe this has another side to the story. As they always say: "there's two sides to every story". The finish to the song really made this song epic, especially with Chester's bellowing voice.

9. Valentine's Day: After a couple of listens to this song I became very emotional. Obviously this is one of the more personal songs Chester has ever written. The lyrics are tremendous and the way Chester graces us with his singing is a blessing also. The beginning sounds so raw when Chester begins as his voice cracks in the first line. And when the song goes from a somewhat pop-ballad song and breaks into a full-on pop-rock song with Chester repeating the words "On a Valentine's Day" you can't help but get emotional. There again, it depends if the time of the year has a happy, cheerful sad, depressing or dramatic feeling/mood on you. It's a shame there was no standout chorus to this song as this did deserve one. But I'll put 'Valentine's Day' as the obvious canditate for the chorus.

10. In Between: I'm sorry to the Pro-Shinoda fans out there, and believe me; I am one of them. But I just can't get into this song. The background starts off fine but repeats all the way through making this song fall flat before it even began. Mike Shinoda is a good singer, even on some tracks of the Fort Minor album he displayed that. But here, he sings mediocre. You can tell he put a lot of emotion into this apology song - but it just came off as such an inferior track. Something fresh needed to be added half-way through. This song did not deliver sadly.
Total Overall: 4/10

11. In Pieces: I had high expectations for this song after hearing the reviews for it. I even believed this would become my ultimate favourite LP song from the album and possibly ever. The reggae start to the song was diverse but very unique and I liked it. Then Chester's second verse when his voice raises captivated me. Furthermore, Brad's solo kicked ass in this. It just came out of no where and that was an added bonus for me. This song needed to pick up and Brad's supportive solo surely did just that. The way the song goes from a reggage vibe - to pure pop - to rock was a nicely staged/ranked song.

12. The Little Things Give You Away: Astonishing song that overshadowed quite a lot on this album. Some adored it and respected it, others hated it and despised it. I saw complaints also about Brad's solo but it fitted perfectly and that's all I wanted. Brad stepped up his game on this one and I am very glad to say that right now. Chester outshined in all the previous tracks he was included in here. For some reason I smile every time; and my hair stands on the end of my skin when he sings "underwater". Not in a bad way or to come across sadistic here, but just the way he sang it with a lot of heart and compassion proved to me their strong beliefs of what happened with Hurricane Katrina. This made the aura of the song all the more important and special. This was a phenomenal six-and-a-half-minute piece although the ending does go on and get repetitive and could be shortened. However, the blending of Chester and Mike's verses was a nice touch and they gelled well together. I hope LP do another acoustic track in the future also, as it really suited their style.

Overall Total for the Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight Album: 9/10

In Conclusion: I had high expectations for this album and this album even surpassed those expectations beyond belief. It certainly delivered to the highest quality, which is all I wanted. A lot of these songs are either catchy, meaningful or something to enjoy and rock out to. It has a more chilled out feeling to it, but some tracks do supply that "let's go fucking crazy and rock our socks off!" temperament to it. Even the soft and more delicate approach to Linkin Park was a brave but encouraging idea. The only song that I was not too comofortable with was In Between and I feel sorry for Mike Shinoda on that one.

The Linkin Park albums now are ranked into the following order:

1. Hybrid Theory - 10/10
2. Meteora - 8/10
3. Minutes to Midnight - 9/10

Therefore - Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > Meteora.

My only other disappointment was of course the lack of Mike Shinoda on the the album. I would have loved to hear 3 or so more songs with Mike rapping and leading into Chester singing the chorus. And the lack of Mr. Hahn was very sad to hear and witness. Hopefully he will be more involved with his lethal scratching to help make the future LP tracks stand out more.I mean, Mr. Hahn does define 1/6th of Linkin Park. And finally, I hope Phoenix steps up to the plate on the next album as he didn't shine brightly on Minutes to Midnight unfortunately.

In the end though (no pun intended), I am very happy and overjoyed how this album turned out and am looking forward to listening to it more and more over the next few days (and weeks, and months, etc.)

Thanks for reading.

Neil
05-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Neil's lazy ass review

'Great 5/5'

I'll add to this when I wake up tomorrow

Luke
05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna revise some scores because of the fact that this album has grown on me so much since I wrote my review:

Bleed It Out: 3/5

Hands Held High: 3.5/5

In Pieces: 3/5

No Roads Left: 4.5/5

Overall: 4/5

dfhddhf
05-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Wake - Ever Since I heard Meteoraís intro I was like ďI Like the idea of an intro but this isnít what I had in mind. I also wanted interludes and an outro but meh I should be happy I at least got a decent length intro. I get a real Deftones vibe from this track. Iíve seen some people say that they dislike the way it sounds scratchy in places and even distracts them from the track but I think it adds to the ambience of the track. I like the way it builds and builds and then just does a complete 180 on itself and sounds almost defeated. 8/10

Given Up - Some decent bass work from Phoenix which makes a refreshing change from every other Linkin Park song on a major studio album ever, lol. The ďindustrial punkĒ feel they were going for isnít quite achieved, but this track certainly feels raw. Thereís buckets of energy, I actually really like the lyrics as cliche and self deprecating as they are. The 17 second scream is very impressive to me. On a bad note I really wish they hadnít included the clapping and jangling noises, I appreciate experimenting but it takes away from a behemoth of a track. 8/10

Leave Out All The Rest - This to me sounds like everything I expected this album to sound like, it sounds like a logical progression from their older work. I could see this on Meteora and it would easily be one of the better tracks on there but on here it just sounds a tad predictable. The lyrics touch me, I love how the song starts with so many layers and ends with barely any. But I just wish it wasnít so predictable and the first part of the second verse sounds awkward. 7.5/10

Bleed It Out - When I heard the description for ďAccidentĒ I got very, very excited with the idea of motown drums and what not and I believe this is what Accident finally ended up as. The live feel of the track with the crowd being brought into the mix is a novel touch. Mike raps like a demon, thereís some clever lines here and it seems to me as though the lyrics donít really have any more meaning than Mikeís frustration at being told to re-write the verses. Repetitive chorus, but it works. 8/10

Shadow Of The Day - The main song this is being compared to U2's With Or Without You, I have never actually heard so I canít comment on that. If you look at this song from a vocal and lyrical standpoint, I think it feels derivative and as though it doesnít go anywhere but if you appreciate the change in mood musically throughout the piece it speaks more than words ever could, potential single here. 8.5/10

What Iíve Done - I like this song, itís pleasant but that is all, nothing about it screams out to me. 6/10

Hands Held High - Some great raps from Mike I particularly like the lines ďHeal the blind and promise to let the sun inĒ and ďSay something you know they might attack you forĒ Mikeís delivery is venomous, personal, reflective, everything you want in a rap song. Unfortunately the music doesnít strike any chords with me. The refrain sounds cheesy when itís on itís own but when it is coupled with the climax of the song it works. The main downside (at least to me) is that it sounds like a better Fort Minor song, this is LP not FM. 6.5/10

No More Sorrow - I really donít get the hype around this song, the lyrics sound contrived, the chorusí melody is dull and the bridge is just screaming angrily but there seems to be no sincerity, I usually skip this track. 5/10

Valentineís Day - Iím undecided about the lyrics on this one, I love some lines and absolutely hate others. The music doesnít really captivate me, thereís nothing about it that stands out to me, apart from perhaps the piano part. What I do feel about this song though is that it encompasses everything the band wanted it to. Itís delicate, tragic, genuine and to me that means more than musical proficiency. The change in structure without really having a chorus is also something I like, it builds slowly, brooding and then just explodes. My third favourite on the album. 9/10

In Between - I donít want to get to graphic about this but itís just gash. Mike sounds monotone, what exactly is he apologising for? He ďsingsĒ let me apologise blah blah blah but the lyrics repeat to much and you never really find out what this song is about (or at least I donít) but itís not just that, the music is dull and not even Chester could have saved this song, I have no idea why the band are so into this song. 3/10

In pieces - The beginning of this song reminds me of A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms era and then when the artificial drum machine kicks in, that mood goes flying out the window, Chesterís vocals donít match the beat and seem awkward but somehow it works. As the song progresses through the verses and begins to build Chesterís vocals seem to fit more. The guitar solo style thing at the end is unexpected and adds to the aggression of this track. The lyrics are a massive high point for me on this track, I really like this song. 9.5/10

The Little Things Give You Away - Everything I said about Valentineís Day applies here tenfold, Chester sounds incredibly sincere. But more so than Valentineís Day the music does stand out and every single idiosyncracy of this song is essential. Mikeís backing vocals prove he can sing. The lyrics hit home. Mr Hahn is noticeable, Brad does a really emotive (not emo) guitar solo, Robís drums are complex and compelling. The only thing I didn;t really notice on this track was the bass. I heart acapellas so this is the perfect end to the album in my opinion. The best song on the album and possibly the best in their career. 9.9/10

Overall - This album is hard to stomach, itís a journey and needs to be heard in itís entirety at least once. Everyone has stepped up their game but the apparent lack of rap vocals and Mr Hahn is distressing. Chester sounds better than ever and unique on every track. The album doesnít seem to flow but I donít know if this is necessarily a negative point. If the album didnít have In Between and maybe 2 more energetic rap songs this would easily be LPís best album, as it stands, it doesnít beat Hybrid Theory but letís be honest, we didnít expect it to did we? This album does everything Meteora failed to achieve and I for one am glad LP took a few risks.

Well Done guys feel proud for making this album, now get another one out twice as good in half the time :P

Minus
05-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Oh, and now:

No Roads Left
This is the kick-ass Mike song I've been waiting for.
9.8/10

Detri
05-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Addendum:

No Roads Left - 10/10 - Absolute perfection as far as I am concerned. The best Linkin Park song and quite possibly my favorite song. Mike > Chester as far as I'm concerned, not only instrumentally but vocally.

Minus
05-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Mike > Chester as far as I'm concerned, not only instrumentally but vocally.

Jesus, what can that guy NOT do? :lol:

Detri
05-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Jesus, what can that guy NOT do? :lol:

Lick his elbow.

Minus
05-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Lick his elbow.

Bet you he can. :lol:

Mark
05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
To tell you the truth, this was the album that was going to make or break me as a fan of Linkin Park. I've been a fan of this band since fall of 2000, and since then I've followed them very closely. Even as a staff member on a Linkin Park fansite, I've questioned in the past whether I was interested in this band anymore. My musical tastes have broadened and drastically changed in the seven years since I began listening to Linkin Park. Not only that, but in mine and many other fans' opinions, Meteora had left questions as to whether this band's creative juices were all dried up. Would they become one of those "period" bands defined by the decade they were prominent in, or would they become a "generational" band defined by a lifetime of success? Would they become "passé" or would they maintain their relevance?

The choices Linkin Park made going into the recording of their new album will ultimately end up as the determining factors as to whether this band will be viewed as a "period" or "generational" band. I believe they've taken a step to be the latter. The band has thankfully realized that the nu-metal/rap-rock genre is dead, and moving forward with a Hybrid Theory pt. 3 would be a career-killing mistake. They could have taken the easy route and tried to re-revitalize this squallid genre, a move that has worked for them in the past. They could have stuck with what was familiar and successful. But kudos to Linkin Park for leaping into the unknown with a new sound that can only be described as a complete schizophrenic turnaround in comparison to older material. A new sound that opens hundreds of doors to expand their musical horizons past their previous achievements. Yes, Linkin Park fans, this is an exciting time: a time for unlimited possibilities. No longer can this band be pigeon-holed.

However, the album is by no means a perfect album: it has it's ups and downs. But within these ups and downs is a beacon of hope: this band is actually trying something new! They're not calling "experimentation" a japanese flute anymore. They're not sticking to the same song structure formula that was blatantly prevalent over their first two albums. They're not tuning the guitars to "crunch" and letting powerchords take over the songs. They're not being as excruciatingly vague with their lyrics as they used to be. They're actually different! They're trying new things! How can you not be excited about their willingness to change and evolve as musicians?

To the album itself: I think it's a step in the right direction. This album is a progressive album. It's the step along the way to something amazing. I have much more faith in this band now that I've heard Minutes To Midnight than I did in the four years of cautious optimism that plagued me from Meteora's release to before I heard the new album. I'm going to say something I haven't said since 2002's Reanimation: Linkin Park have impressed me!

I'm not going to go through each and every track because this review is already getting long, but I give this album an 8/10. The band gets an A for effort, however. Songs like the socially-concious (see: not political) "Hands Held High" and "The Little Things Give You Away" are signs of maturity in the band's songwriting. "In Pieces" has a great little ditty of a solo, a sign of improvement from guitarist Brad Delson. Mike Shinoda plays less of a role on the album vocally, but "Bleed It Out" and the aforementioned "Hands Held High" are standout tracks that welcome back the Mike we loved from 'Hybrid Theory', even if it is at a reduced airtime. Chester's vocals have drastically improved to become more pure and soaring than ever, especially on songs like "What I've Done" and "Leave Out All The Rest". His screams, although less prominent than ever, are still piercing, including a ridiculous 16-second nut-buster in the punky "Given Up". Overall, the songs are more atmospheric in nature than ever, adding even more layers of sound than before. The band has made an album that cannot be defined by a decade, and that is an accomplishment in itself considering what the doomsdayers had predicted for this band when told of a follow-up to this album. I didn't think they had it in them, so kudos to them for proving me wrong.

Jordan
05-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Okay here it goes (I promise it'll be short) i'm not gonna give ratings i'll just tell you i liked the album

Wake:
I like the way it builds and the piano sounds nice. I'd advise you to listen to the bass in the heavy bit, i like it.

Given Up:
It's pretty heavy and i like the chord proggresion, i'll admit i am a fan of screaming bridges and chester's huge and long scream is awesome (anyone timed it?). The ending is a bit sudden though, but i don't mind.

Leave out all the rest:
I like the feel of this song and it's a good break from the heavy song before. I also like the piano chords over the verses.

Bleed it out:
This is probably my favorite song on the album. I love the pace and mike's raps give the song alot. Chesters bridge after the 2 mike verses is really good and it sounds like they had alot of fun on this song (it said that in the booklet aswell)

Shadow of the day:
As with most songs on the album i like the build up of the song. I think it has more on the similar sounding "with or without you" by U2 which alot of people would disagree with because of the name U2.

I'm not commenting on What I've Done because i've heard it too many times it's unfair.

Hands Held High:
Mike is back and is great, but the chorus and ending singing gets stuck in my head all the time i can just hear it now "With hands held high into....". I like the bits about Bush even though i'm an aussie i always rap along with mike on the "what'd he say?"

No More Sorrow:
The guitar and drums on this song are the highlight. It's really heavy although it doesn't get to over the top even with the thieves and hypocrytes bit.

Valentines Day:
Great build up as usual to the "On valentines day" bit. It's a slow ballad and i really like the guitar, drum beat and the piano bit before the climax. I think piano chords have taken over and kicked the bassist out because i can't hear Pheonix on the album.

In Between:
Mike's voice is better than i expected it to be and i like the violins. It could easily go metal after the accidental (musical term) before the chorus. Unfortunately unlike most songs there is no real build up.

In Pieces:
I really like this song. The song is somewhere between a normal rock song and ballad, it could easily be heavier though i don't care because the awesome guitar solo kills everything. One of my favorite linkin park songs at the moment.

This song was hyped so much but i don't know if it lived up to it or not because i don't listen to many songs like this. I really like this song though and the solo is great. I also really like the chorus "All you've ever wanted..." and it ends in a great way to wrap up the album.

Very close to a perfect album.

Jem
05-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I've only managed to listen to the album once since I'm a bit tied up with work. The album as a whole does not grab my attention as much as Hybrid Theory & Meteora did.

Being a hardcore LP fan, I'm prepared to listen and appreciate whatever the band has to offer. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the album very much as LP has never disappointed me

Foreshadowed_LP
05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
So Mike sings all throughout No Roads Left?

Well why didn't they put that one on the MTM album and cross off In Between. Then my overall grade for the album would have improved. As I know Mike can sing much better than he did on In Between - which was a mediocre performance.

mofo
05-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I just listened to the album, and I Really enjoyed it. But I'm missing the rock/hip hop mix. The Rap parts of mike shinoda are almost completely gone. But i thought that was what made LP so special.
But still this album ROCKS :P

bdubz
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
quick review and brutal truth:

WAKE: crap, totally pointless.

GIVEN UP: best song on cd.

LEAVE IT OUT TO THE REST: horrific

BLEED IT OUT: great song.

SHADOW OF THE DAY: crap.

WHAT IVE DONE: great.

HANDS HELD HIGH: terrible

NO MORE SORROW: great

VALENTINES DAY: good

IN BETWEEN: this song by far is the worst song on the cd. my ass can my a better sound when I take a shit.

IN PIECES: just shit

THE LITTLE THINGS GIVE YOU AWAY: title is stupid, and this goes for the song as well

overall: 5 out of 10. there are great songs and there are shitty songs, but theres no in between. all i have to say is... what happened to you linkin park? your old cds i could listen straight through, definitely not this one.

Foreshadowed_LP
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
quick review and brutal truth:

IN BETWEEN: this song by far is the worst song on the cd. my ass can my a better sound when I take a shit.

THE LITTLE THINGS GIVE YOU AWAY: title is stupid, and this goes for the song as well

overall: 5 out of 10. there are great songs and there are shitty songs, but theres no in between. all i have to say is... what happened to you linkin park? your old cds i could listen straight through, definitely not this one.

And that is one of the most R-Tarded reviews I have ever read. No explanation or depth into why you dislike the album.

Next time, explain more.

And I respect your opinion but you can't claim this to be the 'brutal truth' and some people will slate you for that.

Minus
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
And that is one of the most R-Tarded reviews I have ever read. No explanation or depth into why you dislike the album.

Next time, explain more.

And I respect your opinion but you can't claim this to be the 'brutal truth' and some people will slate you for that.

People will slate YOU for almost using a forbidden word in your response...

Mark
05-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Next time, explain more.

I'm going to have to warn you for using the word "retarded" (see rules), but I'll have to agree that that review had little-to-no-intelligence whatsoever.

Funny how the only songs he likes are the ones that have any resemblance to older Linkin Park.

The band knew they were going to lose fans when they started crafting this new album. Hopefully, they lose those with close-minded remarks.

The Joker
05-15-2007, 07:07 PM
To tell you the truth, this was the album that was going to make or break me as a fan of Linkin Park. I've been a fan of this band since fall of 2000, and since then I've followed them very closely. Even as a staff member on a Linkin Park fansite, I've questioned in the past whether I was interested in this band anymore. My musical tastes have broadened and drastically changed in the seven years since I began listening to Linkin Park. Not only that, but in mine and many other fans' opinions, Meteora had left questions as to whether this band's creative juices were all dried up. Would they become one of those "period" bands defined by the decade they were prominent in, or would they become a "generational" band defined by a lifetime of success? Would they become "passé" or would they maintain their relevance?

The choices Linkin Park made going into the recording of their new album will ultimately end up as the determining factors as to whether this band will be viewed as a "period" or "generational" band. I believe they've taken a step to be the latter. The band has thankfully realized that the nu-metal/rap-rock genre is dead, and moving forward with a Hybrid Theory pt. 3 would be a career-killing mistake. They could have taken the easy route and tried to re-revitalize this squallid genre, a move that has worked for them in the past. They could have stuck with what was familiar and successful. But kudos to Linkin Park for leaping into the unknown with a new sound that can only be described as a complete schizophrenic turnaround in comparison to older material. A new sound that opens hundreds of doors to expand their musical horizons past their previous achievements. Yes, Linkin Park fans, this is an exciting time: a time for unlimited possibilities. No longer can this band be pigeon-holed.

However, the album is by no means a perfect album: it has it's ups and downs. But within these ups and downs is a beacon of hope: this band is actually trying something new! They're not calling "experimentation" a japanese flute anymore. They're not sticking to the same song structure formula that was blatantly prevalent over their first two albums. They're not tuning the guitars to "crunch" and letting powerchords take over the songs. They're not being as excruciatingly vague with their lyrics as they used to be. They're actually different! They're trying new things! How can you not be excited about their willingness to change and evolve as musicians?

To the album itself: I think it's a step in the right direction. This album is a progressive album. It's the step along the way to something amazing. I have much more faith in this band now that I've heard Minutes To Midnight than I did in the four years of cautious optimism that plagued me from Meteora's release to before I heard the new album. I'm going to say something I haven't said since 2002's Reanimation: Linkin Park have impressed me!

I'm not going to go through each and every track because this review is already getting long, but I give this album an 8/10. The band gets an A for effort, however. Songs like the socially-concious (see: not political) "Hands Held High" and "The Little Things Give You Away" are signs of maturity in the band's songwriting. "In Pieces" has a great little ditty of a solo, a sign of improvement from guitarist Brad Delson. Mike Shinoda plays less of a role on the album vocally, but "Bleed It Out" and the aforementioned "Hands Held High" are standout tracks that welcome back the Mike we loved from 'Hybrid Theory', even if it is at a reduced airtime. Chester's vocals have drastically improved to become more pure and soaring than ever, especially on songs like "What I've Done" and "Leave Out All The Rest". His screams, although less prominent than ever, are still piercing, including a ridiculous 16-second nut-buster in the punky "Given Up". Overall, the songs are more atmospheric in nature than ever, adding even more layers of sound than before. The band has made an album that cannot be defined by a decade, and that is an accomplishment in itself considering what the doomsdayers had predicted for this band when told of a follow-up to this album. I didn't think they had it in them, so kudos to them for proving me wrong.

i probably would have trashed this album after my first listen but i gave it time and tried to let it sink in. i browsed all the reviews and what everyone was saying about the album and i so wanted to trash it myself but it was just one listen. over the past week ive listened to it many times in its entirety and then just different songs by themselves. this album has really grown on me. i tried to not think about how lp used to be and just listen to it for the music and everything else. songs like little things and shadow of the day have really grown on me.

i think you are really dead on in your assessment on the album and i agree with just about everything you said. the only thing i dont agree on is hands held high isnt a standout track imo. in fact both hands held high and in between are the only tracks i cant really get into. its funny cause no roads left is a really good song and it sucks that it wasnt on the album.

i was really pissed at first because of the ballads but listening to them over and over again just makes them so much better. i know that this wont be my favorite linkin park album but it definitely is a step in the right direction. im really anxious to see where they go from here.

Foreshadowed_LP
05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to put retarded in that sense, so I will not use it again in future reference.

But what he said really got under my skin as the only songs he seemed to prefer were songs the old school Linkin Park would create.

Apologies once again.

But I do not apologise for my opinion on his post.

Luke
05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to put retarded in that sense, so I will not use it again in future reference.

But what he said really got under my skin as the only songs he seemed to prefer were songs the old school Linkin Park would create.

Apologies once again.

But I do not apologise for my opinion on his post.

Don't worry about it mate, I got warned for exactly the same thing a while back, just try to be a bit more careful in future. ;)

Obviously you either didn't read or didn't give a crap about the first post in this thread in which I clearly asked for somewhat intelligent reviews. Your review is another clear example of what shouldn't be in this thread. If you didn't really care much for the album then all I ask is for your criticism and comments to be constructed in a well-mannored review, otherwise no one will really give a toss about it because it seems like it was written by a 7 year old.

EdGreene
05-15-2007, 10:52 PM
My take after my listen all the way through:
Wake: Good but I wish it was a bit longer like ASP. 7/10
Given Up: Great song to start the CD, would have liked to have seen a bridge verse. 8/10.
L.O.A.T.R.: Great, sounds like the All-American Rejects, but 5x better. 9/10.
Bleed It Out: Current favorite song, couldn't love it more. The new Faint. 10/10.
Shadow of the Day: Not great, but definitly not bad, a little long. 7/10.
What I've Done: Good, again, but not great, cool mini-solo. 7/10.
Hands Held High: This may take a while to like, but I like the Amen's. 6/10.
No More Sorrow: A little basic, but great sound, great chorus. 8/10.
Valentine's Day: Great concept, but too long to get into. 7/10.
In Between: Don't care what anyone thinks, can't get it out of my head, great. 9/10.
In Pieces: Best bridge ever. Rest of the song is pretty good. 8/10.
T.L.T.G.Y.A.: Really good song. Very mature. A little awkward. 7/10.
No Roads Left: Haven't heard it yet.

Mathmatical Average: Exactly 7.
Album Ranking: Between 7.5 and 8.5, if this is their new direction, then I hope they perfect it on the next record. If not, then this was a great one-off. Either way, good job, guys, well worth it. Not perfect, but nothing is.

general41391
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Love love love the new album.

After first listen I give it a high B.

I love "In Between"...it is amazing!

I also love the beat on "In Pieces"

this is just such a smash hit album! Go LP

El Muerto
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
When I read L.O.A.T.R. I first thought what the fuck does Lord Of The Rings have to do with LP :lol:

Luke
05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
When I read L.O.A.T.R. I first thought what the fuck does Lord Of The Rings have to do with LP :lol:

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS COS I'M ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE EDGE AND I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!!!" :lol:

Arlene
05-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Okay, so I got the album today. And, wow. I was worried to listen to it judging by some reviews on the forums, but I absolutley loved it. I thought it was great. I love the way Linkin Park changed themselves. I really have no complaints about this album! ^_^

TvT Enigma
05-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I must say I'm loving the album too. I don't mind the change in sound at all it just shows hiw versatile they are.

Louis
05-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Track by Track Analysis

01 :: Wake

This intro track is certainly an interesting track. At first, it reminds me of the Fort Minor intro, unless (this is in my opinion), it isn’t blatantly ruined by a voiceover from Jay-Z. The sudden build-up is certainly interesting, and from there the power just grows, even after the track fades into Given Up. The guitar is great and the bass line is pretty cool, I must say. I give this 4/5 stars.

02 :: Given Up

This is definitely a defining moment on the album that shows that the Linkin Park you once knew is gone. This song has a punk feeling to it and it just has this aggressive drive and it makes you wonder, in a sense, why they needed someone like Mike to fill in the verses. The bridge just blows me away. Despite how simplistic the hatred is in the bridge, it is amazing and really sends the message it’s trying to send. I give this 4/5 stars.

03 :: Leave Out All the Rest

This song begins the farewell that Linkin Park is giving to the world. This soft ballad shows a side to Linkin Park that has never been revealed: A soft, emotional side with some intelligence. It also shows Chester’s voice as something more than just pushing and screaming; a soft, kind of soothing voice which grows into a powerful voice that doesn’t need to push and be aggressive. It’s a change. This song isn’t unique, though. Had it been so, I would have appreciated it a lot more. I give this 3/5 stars.

04 :: Bleed It Out

This song is kind of the “reflection” of the album. It shows a similar structure to songs from previous records. It is certainly different. The guitar is different. It’s more complex. It has a U2 feeling to it. We’re done with those power chords, ladies and gentlemen. Its drive and catchiness make it a notable piece of work on the album. I give this one 5/5.

05 :: Shadow of the Day

This is a song that really stood out to me on the record. Of course, the opening beat is very much like the beat to U2’s With or Without You. The song itself resembles that song, but somehow has a different feel to it. Maybe it’s Chester’s voice or something else, but there’s a different feel. It’s a feeling that you get lost in, but in a really good way. The way this song builds up gives me chills and the solo is just beautiful and fitting. It is an outstanding effort. Without a doubt, I give this one 5/5.

06 :: What I’ve Done

What really stands out to me in this song is the drum beat, as well as the lyrics. As simplistic and, well, Linkin Park-like as they are during the chorus, the lyrics in the verse are certainly different from previous works. They fit well with the song and they make the song more enjoyable. Chester’s voice in this song has a perfect balance of softness and aggressiveness. I give this song 4/5.

07 :: Hands Held High

This song is one of the more interesting tracks on the record. The music is powerful and it has a “march” feeling to it. I just wish the snare drum didn’t sound as simple. There should have been more of an echo feeling to it, or a “far away” feeling to it, so to speak. The lack of a “far-away” snare feeling is made up for with Mike Shinoda’s powerful lyrics and the power of the chorus singing “Amen”. And the lasting lyrics are beautiful and close the song well. I give this one 3.5/5.

08 :: No More Sorrow

This song shows a side of Linkin Park not seen before: a politically driven side. This song is as political as it gets. The music and the lyrics are strong and really give the “Fuck you” to the government with a nice finger gesture to top it off, like icing on a cake. Chester’s control over his aggressiveness in this song is incredible, making this song as powerful as it is. The guitars are aggressive as well, and the drums back them up well. This song pretty much completes the farewell. I give it 5/5.

09 :: Valentine’s Day

Chester’s voice in this song it was really stands out. Other than that, the music is just nice. It’s not really anything special, I guess. The lyrics are emotional and obviously show Chester’s “How could this have happened?” opinion on his divorce (sorry to bring up the personal issues). The whole Valentine’s Day thing, though, is kind of cheesy. Sorry to say, but it kind of takes the emotion of the song and just kind of puts it in a basket with a bunch of expired cheese. Although it’s still powerful, its power is just stinky cheese. I know it’s a bad way to describe it, but hopefully you see what I mean. I give this song 3/5.

10 :: In Between

Unfortunately, despite how wonderful Mike’s voice is in this song, it’s not a song I particularly enjoy. The lyrics are great and all, but I don’t really like the music and I think the lyrics are too repetitive. A good effort by Mike, though. I give this song a 2.5/5.

11 :: In Pieces

This is another one of my favorites on the record. I like the choice of instrument at the beginning. I think the beat is pretty spiffy. Also, I think the lyrics are portrayed really well by Chester. He seems to balance out, once again, the softness and aggressiveness of his voice. The guitar solo, as well as the guitar itself throughout the song, is pretty spiffy and it fits in the song well. It’s not the best on the record, but it stands out. I give this one 3.5/5.

12 :: The Little Things Give You Away

Personally, I don’t feel that I have to explain myself on this one. This song is beautiful and, without a doubt, one of the best songs Linkin Park has ever made and released. The acoustic guitar is beautiful, the lyrics are powerful, and the solo is amazing. This was an incredible effort by Linkin Park and this is another defining moment on the album where the Linkin Park you once knew is gone, and that Linkin Park is transitioning into a versatile band that is more capable of making incredible music. This song is a definite 5/5.

Overall Album Review:
I think this album is Linkin Park’s best release to date. It has ousted what Linkin Park was known for and has made them much more respectable. I am proud of Linkin Park and what they have done with this record, and it makes me excited for the works ahead. Congratulations, Linkin Park, for making a wonderful, inspiring record. Overall, this album is a 3.985/5, which really rounds up to a 4/5.

If you haven’t, buy this record. It is amazing.

mmmmtastycookies
05-16-2007, 06:12 AM
This cd took a little bit to swallow for me, but after a few listens it comes pretty easily. Leave out all the rest, shadow of the day, and valentines day are definitely the "poppiest" ones on the album but i think lp pulls it off pretty well. my december is one of my all time fav's..and i really think this cd is an expansion off of that kind of style that they have.
given up is cool. its the "dont stay" minus mr. hahn element plus much more screams from chester...i feel like this one can kinda get old after a few listens though. bleed it out is fun...but unfortunately its kinda short i feel like, and is missing a verse or bridge or somthing in there.
im really liking hands held high...i kinda wish there was more bass though, i feel like it would make it more agressive, cause the lyrics seem that way. in between's meh for me right now.... in pieces is different, i can sense the whole reggae flow there which is pretty cool, and you can hear hahn!
little things give you away takes awhile to get going...im not really sure how i feel about the acoustic. i almost wanna skip half the song.

overall its a good cd. i feel drawn to the poppier stuff and no more sorrow basically. favs are: leave out all the rest, shadow of the day, no more sorrow, in pieces. ht>m2m>meteora

Luke
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Adding a review to the B-side No Roads Left

No Roads Left:
All I can do is plead for the answer as to why the hell isn't this on the album. I think it's probably one of the best tracks they've made and certainly a great example of Mike's vocal work, Dare I say better than the vocal work he did on In Between. The absence of Chester on this track is actualy a good thing (Yeah, I never thought I'd say that either), Mike completly steals the show on this track. Everything about this song is perfect, from the cool guitar intro to the oh so catchy chorus that seems to stick in your head and the powerful strings used towards the end. I think the biggest low point of the album for me is the fact that this track didn't make the final cut because it is just an amazing song. Not quite as good as TLTGYA but certainly next in Line. 5/5

MooMoozer
05-16-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm not really into any of the songs right now... it just dosnt have that reconizable sound I'm use too. But I think it will grow on me eventually...

I dunno it dosnt seem like there was much from Joe as I remember from their past albums. :\

"/Shawn08\"
05-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Alright, I've listened to the leak and just purchased it yesterday so here's my review having listened to this album a number of times over the past two weeks.

Wake: Not bad as far as intro's go. Maybe a bit misleading with the guitars towards the end. I would have liked if it had kind of mixed into given up instead of the pause and then the clapping. However, not bad for an intro.
3/5
Given Up: The lyrics are sure straight to the point and the inclusion of a few F-bombs show that they still have enough angst to go around. Chester really shows off his screaming with the 17 second wail towards the end of the song. It's agressive and in your face, but don't expect the rest of the album to be the same.
4/5
Leave Out All The Rest: Just one of the many changes in tempo on this album. Going from the punk sound of Given Up straight into a ballad. Certainly going to be a hit should it become a single, because it is very catchy. Radio-friendly or not, this is one of the better ballads on the album.
5/5
Bleed It Out: Finally we get to hear Mike rap and get to hear the signature LP sound. Mike's rap is enjoyable enough but the chorus does get a bit repetitive. Nonetheless it's a catchy song that has the old LP sound.
3.5/5
Shadow of the Day: Yet another rapid tempo change going from the frantic bleed it out into the ambient/electronic intro of another ballad. I have to say that on the first few listens this track did absolutley nothing for me. It doesn't really have anything that stands out, but after a while i caught myself humming it to myself. It's hard not to listen to this song without thinking of U2
4/5
What I've Done: Another song that honestly did nothing for me when it was released, and I actually didn't even care for it until just recently. The halloween-like intro is an interesting feature of this song. Similar to Shadow of the Day, it just doesn't really have anything that stands out except for the intro.
3.5/5
Hands Held High: Mike's finally back on this track. The sound basically sounds like something that should have been on The Rising Tied. Putting that aside this track is actually one of the better songs on the album in my opinion. Mike's raps are spot on once again and the "amen" chorus adds a nice touch.
5/5
No More Sorrow: Going from the gospel choir like ending of Hands Held High into the Metallica-esque opening of No More Sorrow with the creeping guitar intro and the bomb-like drumming. Possibly the heaviest song LP have ever recorded and displays some more of their politically-inspired lyrics.
5/5
Valentine's Day: This is another song that I really actually hated when i first heard it, but after giving it a few listens the song isn't that bad at all. I've seen a number of people give this song the "emo" label, but call what you will, i think it's a good track.
3.5/5
In Between: One of the most interesting songs on the album in my opinon. A good number of people haven't been to crazy about this song, but its actually one of my favorite tracks on the album. Mike has a surprisngly good voice, not as good as in No Roads Left However. I think the simplicity of this song is possibly it's strongest feature.
4.5/5
In Pieces: Another interesting listen. I'd have to say it's the most unique track on the album because it just blends so many sounds, with the Hip-hop/electronic beat eventually turning into a full on guitar blast and guitar solo to back up chester's excellent vocals on this track.
5/5
The Little Things Give You Away: The crowning jewel of this record. The electronic background and the acoustic guitar really compliment each other well. Chester's voice is amazing here, and the lyrics are just as good. The song just builds and builds until the solo we've heard so much about kicks in. It's nothing technically brilliant but it compliments the song well. Nothing bad i can say about this track.
5/5

(b-side) No Roads Left: This song was a pleasant surprise after searching the web for this track. Another song that is just Mike singing and if you were surprised by his singing on In Between you will be blown away on this track. In my opinion there is no reason why this shouldn't be on the album, it is absolutley amazing.
5/5

Overall: 4/5

The album as a whole takes a number of listens to be fully appreciated. The sound is so much different and there are so many tempo changes that you just kind of become lost. I think if you listen to this album with an open mind it will be much more enjoyable. I'm all for heavy tracks, but i can also appreciate ballad tracks as well.

The album doesn't seem as complete and tidy as HT and Meteora, but this album is more of a stepping stone into new territory and this album has really broadened the horizons for the next LP album. After hearing mike's singing on No Roads Left, the ability to blend many different sounds on In Pieces, make heavy tracks like No More Sorrow, and craft magnificent 6 minute songs like TLTGYA, Linkin Park have added a whole new dimension to their sound and the possibilities for the next LP album are numerous.

mcpancakes
05-17-2007, 02:20 AM
I've never been one for long, in-depth reviews, so I'll just say this:

After owning Minutes to Midnight and giving it 3 or 4 straight run-throughs, if Linkin Park were ever to go back to their nu-metal sound, I would most likely be disappointed. This new sound made me forget completely about their old style and now, when I listen to anything pre-minutes-to-midnight, I'll most likely skip over that track. its pretty amazing, I wasn't expecting this album to have this kind of an effect on me. when mike said that their old sound was easy for them to replicate, as well as other bands to replicate, I really see that now, and their old music almost sounds.....bad? I don't know, I just like their new style a lot more.

Jem
05-17-2007, 04:37 AM
After hearing the album a no. of times, I absolutely love this album (maybe just one song I'm not too fond of yet)... smashing, totally in awe.... but I'm not going to say that the band should move away from their earlier sound. I'm v proud of their earlier albums and hope I can hear a future album reminiscent of the earlier albums

Enjoiske
05-17-2007, 04:42 AM
I've liked this album since i heard the 30 second clips. Theres nothing wrong with their change, and being a fan of music in general i could care less if their songs are heavy or not. But it is always nice to have a few tracks that really get you amped though. But hey, it does have some of those. So this album is complete win to me. Id have liked to hear more Joe, not necessarily on the tracks, but they could have given him some shine on a track of his own. He's a really good DJ.

Rather Red
05-18-2007, 04:12 AM
My track ranking:

1. Given Up: Although it's a simple LP song, the excitement of the Chorus and Chester's vocal performance make it one of my ultimate jam-out songs.
2. Bleed It Out: The rap is awesome and I've recently been able to overcome the repetitive chorus. The bridge is catchy as well.
3. What I've Done: All-in-all, a quality song. The video puts vivid emotional images in my head as well.
4. No Roads Left- Mike on the Pre-Chorus and Chorus is SO AWESOME. Verses get a bit boring with the repetitive guitar though.
5. The Little Things Give you Away- The lyrics and melody in the beginning is really effective. Drawn-out towards the end though.
6. Leave Out All the Rest- Really catchy.
7. No More Sorrow- I like the intro and first verse especially, but the rest isn't that special.
8. Valentine's Day- The beginning is great, and it builds up well. The end is too repetitive for me though.
9. In Pieces- Pretty catchy, but they could've added a little more energy.
10. Hands Held High- Great lyrics, the end is really catchy. Not too much to the song though.
11. Shadow of the Day- Kinda like the Chorus melody, but pretty boring. the end build up to "What I've Done" is pretty cool though.
12. In Between- Boring. Can't get into it without really trying.
13. Wake- Pointless. If it had built up to an epic beginning for a song rather than the quick and soft beginning of "Given Up" it would have at least served a purpose, but it ends up being a distraction.

Luke
05-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Actualy now that I think about it, Wake is a load of crap. It has nothing to do with the album at all.

esaul17
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Actualy now that I think about it, Wake is a load of crap. It has nothing to do with the album at all.

Yeah. It isn't a bad intro in and of itself, but the quality of an intro is usually based on how well it introduces what comes next.

FiGzZ
05-22-2007, 11:56 PM

no doubt about it LOL =)

Top2Bottom
05-25-2007, 04:07 AM
unfortunatley I don't have time atm to write an in depth review. But i think this album was more experimental and is a step in the right direction. Sure, they made mistakes, but every successful band has made mistakes and would agree that they would have at least one album they may look back on and wonder what if we did this. I think the next album will be heavier...MTM was crowded with mellow slow stuff...and at stages you just want to cry out for some heavy track to appear. but a skillful and interesting listen all the same