PDA

View Full Version : Safe Mode



Andrea
03-01-2005, 08:57 PM
My computer is in "safe mode" and I don't know how it got that way. My mom used the computer when I wasn't home and she obviously did something to it. How do I get it out of safe mode?

Edit: oops, I meant to put this in the Tech section. Oh well. Someone help me.

Kęton
03-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Did you try restarting? Usually a computer will go into safe mode when it is shut down improperlly (plug unplugged, power surge, etc). Usually you can get out of safe mode by restarting. If you've already restarted... I have no idea. :lol:

Andrea
03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I have restarted it twice and shut it down once. It's still in safe mode.

Jesus. I hate it whenever one of my parents uses the computer because they always manage to screw something up.


Edit: Can anyone else help me?

LinkinJunior
03-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Does the screen say it's in safe mode? Perhaps there is something wrong with your videocard.

Andrea
03-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah. In the four corners of the screen it says safe mode. I've tried everything to get it back to normal but nothing is working. My screen is distorted and not working right.


Videocard? what? :huh: Do you know how I can fix it?

I may have to wipe out my harddrive or something. Usually that fixes everything...eventhough I lose everything. :wth:

Shade
03-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay, first, are you using Windows XP? I think you are, and if so here's some instructions.

When the computer is starting up, before it gets into windows ie. before the windows xp loading screen with the blue/green bar going across, press F8 a lot. It should bring you to a Windows Startup menu where you can select to start the computer in safe-mode, regular mode and some other options. Select "Start windows normally" (I think that's right) and it should load windows out of safe mode.

See if that helps :)

Andrea
03-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Shade@Mar 1 2005, 07:55 PM
Okay, first, are you using Windows XP? I think you are, and if so here's some instructions.

When the computer is starting up, before it gets into windows ie. before the windows xp loading screen with the blue/green bar going across, press F8 a lot. It should bring you to a Windows Startup menu where you can select to start the computer in safe-mode, regular mode and some other options. Select "Start windows normally" (I think that's right) and it should load windows out of safe mode.

See if that helps :)
I'm not using Windows XP... :lol:


BUT, that was one of the things that I tried already and that didn't work. But, thanks anyways, lol.

Maybe it has a virus? Or it's just fucked?

Amanda
03-02-2005, 12:42 AM
what are you using?

Shade
03-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Wow, so you tried the windows start up menu and it still didn't work eh? That's pretty weird... Not sure what else to try, other than a full format, though that seems overkill...

Andrea
03-02-2005, 12:50 AM
My computer is a Compaq Presario. I'm using Windows 98.

I'm getting a new computer as a graduation present in May/June but I need my current computer to hold me out until then, ya know? :lol:

Amanda
03-02-2005, 12:57 AM
i think you amy have a virus... ask the last person who was on the computer if anything weird happened.. or if the computer seemed to be running slowly

Shade
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok, here's another idea:

Boot the computer into safe-mode, then run a search for a file called Msdos.sys

Once you find it, right click it and select properties. Make sure 'Hidden' and "Read-only' are unchecked.

Hold shift, and right click the file. Select open with, and select notepad. In notepad, go Edit ==> Find "Bootsafe"

There should be a line somewhere in there BootSafe=1 or BootSafe=0. Make sure that it is BootSafe is set to equal 0 not 1. If you change is save the file and try rebooting the computer.

Andrea
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Well, this is weird. I did what you said but there was no bootsafe anywhere. This is what I have:

BootMulti=0
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1


hmmm.

LinkinJunior
03-02-2005, 02:08 AM
get a Mac lol, or try searching specific forums that might actually have the same problem. Thats what I usually do when I have a problem.

Shade
03-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Ew...Macs... :P

Just in jest, a quote from my C++ prof:

"Nothing breaks on a Mac because nothing runs on a Mac"

Back on topic, that's strange, ok this is what i would try. Where it has that stuff about BootMulti etc. add a line that says BootSafe=0 reboot and see what happens.

Neil
03-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Ok, this should fix it.

When you turn on your computer, after it makes it's first beep after counting the memory, keep hitting F8 like crazy. You should get a menu offering startup options.

*********Use At Own Risk*********
If for some reason that doesn't work, reboot and when the Windows XP booting screen is showing, turn off the power to the computer. This way, the next time you turn on the computer, you will get a message that there was a problem with Windows, and should give you a list of startup options. You should highlight 'Start Windows Normally'.
(Note: There&#39;s a nominal chance that somthing could happen to your hard drives or OS when you do this, but the chance is very little. Like 1%.) <-- If that&#39;s not convincing enough, I&#39;ve done this 10&#39;s of times and have had no problems.

Edit --

Oh shit, you&#39;re not using XP, maybe I should read before I post :lol:

I&#39;ll leave that bit up there in case someone else needs it.

Here&#39;s how to fix the Win98 Problem:

Firstly, don&#39;t format your hard drive, that&#39;s a stupid thing to do unless your computer is truly screwed.

Secondly, does it say &#39;Safe Mode&#39; in the corners of the screen? If not, it&#39;s a video card driver issue. If so, keep reading.

-----------------------------------------------------
Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

From the C:&#092;> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem
occurred and then restart the system. (A properly working registry has the word
&#39;Started&#39; next to the date)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Or you could try...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Get to Start menu (most machines you hold the Ctrl key down while booting, if not keep tapping F8 while booting).

Select one of the command prompts and wait until it has finished (black screen with C prompt).

Now shut down.

Restart machine - you might well be lucky
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let us know if this helps. :)

Andrea
03-02-2005, 09:55 PM
NEIL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; IT WORKED&#33;&#33;&#33; (w00t)

I did what you said:


Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

From the C:&#092;> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem
occurred and then restart the system. (A properly working registry has the word
&#39;Started&#39; next to the date)

....and it worked&#33; Thank you so much&#33; I greatly appreciate it. :hugz:

Also, thanks to everyone else who tried to help me with this. :lol:

Amanda
03-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Andrea@Mar 2 2005, 10:13 PM
NEIL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; IT WORKED&#33;&#33;&#33; (w00t)

I did what you said:


Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

From the C:&#092;> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem
occurred and then restart the system. (A properly working registry has the word
&#39;Started&#39; next to the date)

....and it worked&#33; Thank you so much&#33; I greatly appreciate it. :hugz:

Also, thanks to everyone else who tried to help me with this. :lol:
YAY Andrea&#39;s computer isnt stupid anymore&#33;

*claps and dances*

Neil
03-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Andrea@Mar 2 2005, 05:13 PM
NEIL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; IT WORKED&#33;&#33;&#33; (w00t)

I did what you said:


Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

From the C:&#092;> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem
occurred and then restart the system. (A properly working registry has the word
&#39;Started&#39; next to the date)

....and it worked&#33; Thank you so much&#33; I greatly appreciate it. :hugz:

Also, thanks to everyone else who tried to help me with this. :lol:
Not a problem. I live for helping people with that kind of thing.

Which is why it&#39;s fitting I&#39;m going to college for Computer Systems Technician B)