Rock Sound Interview: Chester Discusses One More Light, Personal Struggles And More

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Mar 20, 2017.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

So ... you guys are complaining about something that is nothing more than an extremely distant possibility? :huh:

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Some of us are.

What I just read is so hilarious I gotta share. "What if the band got brainwashed? Explains their shift in direction, especially after Mike said this: "Rock music is gone in this direction, basically it become indie pop jingle. It's like songs that can be on Nickelodeon, Nick Jr and Disney Channel. I can't see myself writing music that it's like that, i don't wont follow that trend, forget it" "

minuteforce

Mr. Hahn is the real mastermind. He brainwashed Linkin Park into becoming a shitty trend-following pop band and, then, he wrote all the songs for them to play. It explains everything

:kappa:

Abel and Sasuke like this.
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

An argument could be made that if it was all so personal then they wouldn't talk about it at all. To me it kinda sounds like a marketing ploy for the album.

And I'm sorry but their standards dropped big time if they thought they were creating 'great' music here. The fact that they had to bring in producers for each song speaks volumes.

Hans Muster likes this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

WAKE UP SHEEPLE ▲▲▲▲

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Because masterpieces like Until It's Gone, Burn It Down and Somewhere I Belong are such a high standard. :lol:

polleo, Abel, SkullDevil217 and 2 others like this.
    Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that Chester would talk about serious things like that only as a marketing ploy.

And only because you don't like the music doesn't mean they dropped their standards. They brought producers because they wanted to try something new.

polleo, Lotus, Abel and 5 others like this.
    ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

Bringing in producers doesn't mean their standards dropped. Lots of artists do this, it's not uncommon

Avo, Sasuke, Abel and 1 other person like this.
    minuteforce

"They're talking about it so it must not be personal" is some serious reaching, wow

polleo, Avo, Lotus and 3 others like this.
    Luke

Hi I'm Luke I like to play devil's advocate.

Also I find it totally hilarious people acting like they know the band and what their true motives are. Truth is no one on this site has any real connection to the band. We've scored interviews with band members and the band may be aware of one or two members, but when you actually stop to think about it no one knows shit about who they are as human beings.

Hans Muster likes this.
    Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Uhhh seriously? If you would even consider thinking that Chester would use his friends' attempted suicide and his own (past) suicidal thoughts as a marketing ploy, you must not think very highly of him. Are you going for "most controversial member" or something? Jeez.

And no, none of us know the bandmembers personally, but they seem like decent guys and I'd like to give them a slight bit more credit than this.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    polleo and Halfway Dwight like this.
    warriorathlete21

warriorathlete21 Well-Known Member

What blows me away is how some people can be so narrow minded to truly believe that because a band or artist decides to collaborate with other writers, this somehow automatically means they are inferior and they've gone downhill as a band.

Are you serious?

There are countless amounts of successful artists and bands who branch out and create great material with other collaborators.

Avo, Abel, The Joesen One and 4 others like this.
    Luke

Yeah you're right but there's examples of it working and totally backfiring. In this instance I hear serious regression and a lack of inspiration. I also hear sonic recreations of dollar bill signs and the sound of a band who's lost it's way entirely.

We'll just see how this album does. It could be a real chart success and shoot them back in to the spotlight (albeit for what I perceive to be for the wrong reasons) or it could flop entirely. I don't think this will be an album that does sort of okay or sort of bad, it will be a career altering point. I could be totally wrong though.

Hans Muster likes this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely curious, a regression from what? This is the band whose very last album had Until It's Gone as a lead single, one of the most basic, uninspired sounding, generic alt-rock songs they've ever put out. The album before? If I were more cynical, I'd tell you that they put out a generic, poppy, uninspired lead single clearly written and marketed to cash in on fans who bailed after Meteora.

Point is, I get what you're saying, but I just don't get how you can call these songs "uninspired" or "a regression" for a band whose lead singles (with the rare exception of The Catalyst and GATS) have always been relatively boring, poppy, and uninteresting unless you're already interested in the genre they happen to be in or the band who made them. You're totally entitled to feel the way you feel, and by no means do I love the new singles, but the point is that criticism like this sounds exactly the same as what people said in 2007 when What I've Done dropped. Sure, I get not liking the songs, and saying they're uninspired is fair enough, they're certainly not the most groundbreaking tracks ever released, but if Heavy and Battle Symphony are uninspired, then so is almost every single the band has put out thus far, so the "sound of a band who's lost its way entirely" remark doesn't really make much sense to me. :shrug:

Alexrednex likes this.
    Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Truth is we can't say much about the album's direction yet. Maybe these two singles really have been the most generic songs on the album. It wouldn't be a surprise. Even though Battle Symphony is one of their worst songs IMO, Until It's Gone was even worse. I mean there is hope. Stormzy and Pusha T on one song is already great news. But we'll see. If the albums turns out to be dominated by songs like Battle Symphony, I'm out.

Sasuke likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Agree, I don't call Heavy & BS "generic" or "uninspired" but they're far far away for being in anytime great songs imo, so i really hope they're the "worst" songs on OML.
    After seeing all this clips & snippets from the album process last year. I really thought that we get a second experimental album after ATS :cry:
    But I still hoping to hear some of those sounds on the album though.

One More Rob likes this.
    Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Kinda agree with this, granted I know that the 7th album will sound nothing like ATS. I hope at least the essence of it is in this album. I really hope these 2 singles are the 'worst' ones in the album.

Sasuke likes this.