Projected A Thousand Suns Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Billboard have billed that Linkin Park may be taking the #1 spot on the Billboard 200 Album Chart at this weeks end with projected sales of 250,000 - 260,000 in it's first week on sale in the US. Check out an excerpt below and read the full article here.

"Industry prognosticators suggest that Linkin Park's fourth studio set, "A Thousand Suns," could sell as much as 250,000 to 260,000 by week's end on Sunday, Sept. 19. However, Songz is nipping at Linkin's heels, as his "Passion" album is looking to move perhaps between 230,000 to 250,000.

If Linkin Park triumphs and opens at No. 1, it will be the band's fourth leader on the tally. They previously reached the top with 2003's "Meteora," their 2004 "Collision Course" mash-ups set with Jay-Z and their last studio effort, 2007's "Minutes to Midnight." It blasted onto the chart with 623,000 in its first week."

Good luck to the band and let's hope they can pick up another #1 debut!

Source: Billboard

Stormus08

Stormus08 Well-Known Member

Is it me or does that total seem pretty low, considering it's Linkin Park. 1/4 of a million records is a lot, but considering M2M sold 620,000+ it's first week, I think that would be a bit of a disappointment for the band. Before reading this article, I would have guessed about 500,000(ish) world wide. Apparently, my guestimation is way off.

rusa162

rusa162 Well-Known Member

it did pretty well for the first week IMO

dkrebel

dkrebel Headbang Motherfucker!

I thought it would be way more.. Maybe its the new direction they went into? I know lots of people who dont Linkin Park anymore because of the new style. Pretty stupid though.. They all thought LP would go back the HT style, lol. So yeah if you expect that you will be dissapointed.

Bradley

Bradley Butt makes me weep, I call it a “boo-hooty".

I know some people who are Linkin Park fans but didn't know that they had a new album out already, even though there was so much promotion for it, so maybe thats why album sales have not been high, that's just my guess.

Robot Man

Robot Man Well-Known Member

I think that's pretty good, considering that most people don't buy CD's anymore.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Joe I read online that it's set to be #2 in the official UK top 10 albums.

Does all those preorders from lp.com count in the Billboard chart?

fido

fido Active Member

well even on itunes , which is one of the biggest online story, it is also not doing good. As of now the rating of ATS is ONLY 3 stars out of 5 which is pretty low as the album has just released. i guess it will go down till 2 stars maybe

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

damn shame too, since A Thousand Suns is great.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

The number is low in comparison to previous records but that is to be expected. Album sales don't really fucking matter anymore, anyway. People who like it will buy, and it people who don't won't. I'm definitely going to be purchasing this album, though. I already got it off of iTunes, but I need to get a physical copy.

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

taking the #1 spot on the Billboard 200 Album Chart by selling only 250,000 version ! HOW is that possible ? M2M has sold 623,000 in its first week !

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Don't mean to use this argument as a complete fact, but, especially today, who buys CDs anymore? Unofficially, Best Buy themselves have decided that in the next two years they will start pulling the CD section from their stores-- And their selection is currently pretty terrible anyway. If stores are losing interest in selling physical albums, should we even bother counting the numbers?

lyingfromyou03

lyingfromyou03 The Little Things Give You Away

I initially thought it was low too, and then I googled a few other recent album releases, and most were in the 100,000 range. It is low for LP, but today, with a lot of people illegally downloading, and the band also saying they were releasing a different album I think these sales are great. To be honest, if I wasn't so into the band and keeping up with everything through LP.com, LPU and the LPA, I didn't see that much press here, out in Boston. Also, their first U.S. TV performance was a few days before the album release, but if you do look at the ITunes charts, they are in the top ten alternative albums three times, and the overall top ten twice. The catalyst has totally jumped up in the Itunes charts, as has half of the album, which is incredible! Also, they have been number one for five weeks on the Billboard Rock charts, and I think four on the Alternative charts. I also personally believe that when "Waiting for the End" is gains more airplay, just from my experience so far I think the album will grab more listeners. Already, at one of my jobs, where we are required to play upbeat music, I put on a few tracks that were "work appropriate" and everyone that was in the shop asked me what band was on when that particular song came on and a few asked me to write it down so that they could buy it on ITunes. I do hope, ultimately, that more people appreciate this album the way I have and see the hard work put into it.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

A TOUZND SUNZ IZNT OLD LP!! NO GIETAR N NO SCREEMIG!! IT SUX!! 0 STARZ!!

bartorious

bartorious Member

i knew it...u change your style and that's what happends....mtm sold more because people thought they were getting a other HT album paid for the album and didn't get it...now people know there not getting a HT album and not buying the new album....at the los angeles laser show i talked crap 2 mike...and told him if he was ready if the new album was to flop would he be ready for that...and would he finally go back 2 there roots because that's what all the fans loved about them.....well i bought 2 hard copy's of the album and i like it...but it seems others don't because its too soft....well i been down for 10 years and i ain't leaving but others have

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Meteora was my last album I bought.

Stormus08

How much did Meteora sell in it's opening week? Limp Bizkit's Signifcant Other (I loved this CD) sold 834,000 in it's opening week and then Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water sold 1,050,000 in it's opening week (wow, platinum in a week for a band like Limp Bizkit, lol).

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Back then piracy wasn't as big as it is now though.

Rwey964637

Rwey964637 Active Member

It may only have 3 out of 5 stars, but the Deluxe Edition is still #1 with Trey Songs at #2 and their regular version at #3 so idk how you figure they are doing bad sales wise on Itunes? Eminem seems to be the only artist that sells more than $500k in one week and I think that's just because he has a HUGE fan base. To me, 260k is pretty damn good considering Disturbed sold 250K in the first week and they haven't changed their sound. If anything, I think it says a lot about LP, even though they changed their sound, they've gained some fans along with loosing some, which goes to show you just how big their fan base still is as well.

Most of the reviews on Itunes crack me up because 90% of them call themselves hardcore LP fans but yet they obviously don't follow them much at all or visit any of the fan sites because, as a hardcore fan myself, I was well aware of the change, and was expecting it, and in return allowed me to listen to the album with an open mind and I love the album so much because of that :)

BTW: Thanks to everyone involved with this site, I've been a member since 2005 but haven't posted much, just check it at least once a day (more now lol). You guys do an amazing job with all the news and I'm glad to be apart of such great community :)

Stormus08

Okay, how about in 2007 when Linkin Parks m2m sold 650k. Piracy was nearly just as large as it is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.