Official LIVING THINGS Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Ben, Jun 15, 2012.

Fragmuffin

Fragmuffin I wish my friends were bubbles, bubbles...

I appreciate that you're trying to defend me, but I'm pretty sure Minus is just being Minus, as usual. He can post what he wants too, you know. :p

If posting a rage comic actually annoyed anyone, though, then I'm sorry, as I didn't intend to annoy anyone.

@Chewjacka: Yep.

Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

They didn't go back to "old LP" (hate that name btw), it's just another (awesome) album in a very "Linkin Parkish" way.

Fragmuffin

Yep, that's why I said "early" instead of "old," as I don't like it when people say that either.

I'm pretty sure most people are going to misinterpret my comic anyway, as that seems to be the case already. Gah.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

I enjoyed your comic. People are too petty on these forums. Don't be disheartened.

Fragmuffin

Don't worry, I'm fine. Thanks, though.

I guess so long as at least one person enjoyed it, it wasn't a complete waste of time, heh.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Because he's often humorous?

lpisbaws

lpisbaws Well-Known Member

arrogance is not funny.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Chewjacka takes things too seriousl.

Especially for comments coming from someone named Baby Minus with a picture of a baby as his avatar.

Alternatively:

[​IMG]

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

After a handful of listens, I'll provide a very brief review.

1. Lost In The Echo- Really strikes to the core of LP fans of old, but has a fresh sound. So far my favourite, and I was worried the rest of the album couldn't live up to it.
    2. In My Remains- A classic radio hit. Has a very 'Minutes' feel to it.
    3. Burn It Down- This and LGM sound a hell of a lot better now that they're heard in the album.
    4. Lies Greed Misery- As above
    5. I'll Be Gone-
    6. Castle of Glass-
    7. Victimized- Still working this one out. I picture LP sitting there trying to put all these ideas together on paper, then just getting frustrated and scrunching it all up together in a psycho way and just throwing it at us haha.
    8. Roads Untraveled-
    9. Skin To Bone- Love the music in this. So dam catchy.
    10. Until It Breaks- Could me off guard. I'd be lying if I said I expected something more conventional as heard in the live verse. But, I'm coming around to it.
    11. Tinfoil- A nice lead into Powerless. I don't think it is much more than that.
    12. Just as epic as TLTGYA. In The Darkness comes to mind too. Has a very DBS feel to it.

Will complete the rest when I have time. Work calls.

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

what?

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This is true.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

1. LOST IN THE ECHO (8/10) - I really felt this song was Mike back in form. The rapping had a great flow over a heavy electronic instrumental. I loved the raw energy that Chester brought in the chorus, along with the screams.

2. IN MY REMAINS (8/10) - This song really left me wanting more. I loved the song structure of the song, and the lyrics are definitely an improvement from their first three albums.

3. BURN IT DOWN (7/10) - This song really didn't blow me away at all. It's a decent song, but it got boring really quick.

4. LIES GREED MISERY (7/10) - Another song that didn't leave a real big impression. I think this song would have been better as an instrumental.

5. I'LL BE GONE (9/10) - Some of Linkin Park's best lyrics yet. Though with all the hype going around it, I was expecting more from Owen Pallett, who did the string arrangement on the song. It may have been the quality of the rip, but I could barely make it out.

6. CASTLE OF GLASS (9.5/10) - One of a few songs that are incredibly inspired by folk. It really exceeded my expectations.

7. VICTIMIZED (10/10) - This song goes from folk music, to metalcore, to hip hop, and back to metalcore in just a short 1 minute 50 second song. It's a whole lot of song in not a whole lot of time, which is what makes this song epic.

8. ROADS UNTRAVELED (9.5/10) - A huge piano driven song with some of the most emotional lyrics I have heard from the band.

9. SKIN TO BONE (10/10) - Tied for being my favorite off of the album, this song has a death-folk feel to it, but being totally electronic. This is really Mike at his best as far as singing goes, and I hope that more stuff in the future sounds like this from them.

10. UNTIL IT BREAKS (10/10) - Again tied for being my favorite, this song goes from full on Rasta Shinoda over an electronic beat, to Chester wanting strength from the rising sun, back to Rasta Shinoda to a more organic instrumental, to Brad singing what sounds like a church hymn. It may seem random, but they totally work together really well.

11. TINFOIL / POWERLESS (9/10) - I didn't want to rate these two tracks seperately, since TINFOIL is really just the intro to POWERLESS. I love the epic feeling to it.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Loving your reviews guys. Can't wait for the 26th. :-D

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Again as I'm one the few who's waiting I've only heard 2 songs.

Burn it down 8/10: not mind blowing. Cool, It connects with me emotionally, but it doesn't excite me like pretty much the rest of the discography.

LGM: 6/10: There is a certain enjoyment I get out of. . . The ridiculousness of it. The bass and the screaming, but other than that I find it rather annoying.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

It's up there in greatness with ATS. Manny Marroquin should have never been chosen as the fucking mixer.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Bubbles

Bubbles I blow a lot of...

LOST IN THE ECHO-10/10 Definitely one of their strongest songs to date, amazing opener
    IN MY REMAINS-8/10
    BURN IT DOWN-8.5/10 A good song but maybe I overplayed it
    LIES GREED MISERY-6/10 Didn't like the lyrics, didn't feel complete
    I'LL BE GONE-9/10 Had a MTM feel, good lyrics, okay song, really liked the ending though
    CASTLE OF GLASS-10/10 Favorite song off of this album, very beautiful
    VICTIMIZED-7/10 It was cool, not my favorite though
    ROADS UNTRAVELLED-10/10 Another beautiful song, I like the lyrics on this song best
    SKIN TO BONE-8/10 Good musically, okay song overall
    UNTIL IT BREAKS-8/10 I like this song but it's very different, it goes from fast paced to chester singing then back to rapping, then Brad singing, it was a varied song, had an ATS feel to it
    TINFOIL-9/10 Good intro for powerless
    POWERLESS-10/10 One of their strongest songs both vocally and musically, another hit off this album

Favorite Track-CASTLE OF GLASS
    Least Favorite-LIES GREED MISERY

Overall, this was a very strong album and one of their best

My rankings as of right now:
    ATS
    LT
    HT
    MTM
    M

ochocincorice

ochocincorice Well-Known Member

I CANNOT get into tracks 7-9 and I'm trying so hard to :'(, especially Roads Untraveled. I want to love Victimized, but its 1) really short 2) sort of 'messy' and doesn't transition smoothly 3) this particular screaming seems a little over-the-top, almost unnecessary 4) there is absolutely no content to the chorus...just "victimized!" the whole time. And lastly, I just hate the "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" and all of Skin to Bones AT THE TIME BEING (maybe it'll grow to me)

Meteora > Hybrid Theory > Living Things > ATS (LOVE ALL 4 of these albums) >>> Minutes To Midnight

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    mastae

mastae Some Honky

The reason why it's messy and the screaming is over the top and there's no content to the chorus is because it's a punk song.

It's the same with people who think Given Up is a bad song because the lyrics seem over the top. It's also a tribute to punk.

Victimized harkens to like The Dead Kennedy's type shit. It's great.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

That's the point of metal/punk.