Official LIVING THINGS Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Ben, Jun 15, 2012.

kwill

kwill Well-Known Member

This is a very bold statement, but I think that in 10-20 years, Living Things will be remembered as Linkin Park's Master of Puppets, Joshua Tree, or Dark Side of the Moon. It's that good. Not a single bad track on it. THIS is their magnum opus.

the11thdoctor

the11thdoctor Resident Time Lord

I've had it on near constant repeat for the last 8 hours. Not even kidding. I already know all the lyrics lol

The one track that I didn't like at first, Skin to Bone, took only about 3 listens to make me love it too... Which is more than I can say for at least 1-2 tracks on MTM and ATS. I NEVER thought I'd say it, but they've outdone ATS with this album. Perfect opener, perfect closer. NO filler. Deep lyrics, strong emotions, a great "new but familiar" vibe... This album IS Linkin Park. And it's why they've been my favorite band for 12 years. I agree with kwill... there's no doubt that, unless they somehow manage to top it with their next album, Living Things will be remembered as LP's defining album.

HybridBharath

HybridBharath Well-Known Member

Mike said on a couple of occasions that they couldnt have made this album if it wasnt for their previous albums. If that's the case, i cant wait for their 10th album :D

Anthony Maroon

Anthony Maroon Well-Known Member

I just realized that I literally left the phrase "Sparkly thing" in there when describing the chimes in Roads Untraveled. lmao. The word "chime" was eluding me at the time, so I meant to go back and put it in later since I was speed typing.

Oh well, I like it. It's staying!

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

I'm very judgmental of LT, not liking the evolution process of the band in the later half, while at the same time I found Castle of Glass one of my favorite songs from any artist, ever.

LOST IN THE ECHO - 7/10 - didn't feel like a pay-off, I expected something darker, edgier and provocative, Chester's singing (as perfect as it is) doesn't fit in
    IN MY REMAINS - 8.5/10 - very good, again, could be better, but Like an army falling one by one by one is beautiful, Mike outdid himself
    BURN IT DOWN - 9/10
    LIES GREED MISERY - 7/10
    I'LL BE GONE - 7/10 - same problem as with LITE (it's a good tune, but I'm being harsh critic here)
    CASTLE OF GLASS - 10/10 - perfection? #1
    VICTIMIZED - 6/10 - a mess
    ROADS UNTRAVELED - 6.5/10 - I didn't want to listen to Hugh Laurie's blues efforts, yet they're here. Too familiar melody for the genre
    SKIN TO BONE - 6.5/10 - same as RU
    UNTIL IT BREAKS - 7.5/10 - great rapping, but...
    TINFOIL - 7.5/10 - nothing wrong with it, but Session and Cure top it easily
    POWERLESS - 8/10 - very pretty, the chorus is too simple but the background piano is 10/10, as well as the verse1

All in all, 7/10. Way too much folk, almost in every song. They really need to find their balance point, after this I'm slowly getting tired of rapid changes in their sound. Of course you can sense the unique approach because it's LP, but feels like experimenting in something new for the first time, without being able to rise themselves above the upper-class artists in blues/folk(y). I hope I'll come to love LT, hated ATS at the beginning, became monumental a couple of weeks listening to it later.
    Miss the times when an LP song would impress me and captivate from the first listen, without needing to adjust to it. COG did that here.

Please don't quote me, engulfed with rage because someone doesn't reflect Your opinion. LP dropped the ball, in my opinion, but I respect their decision, effort and, given some time, I'll get used to it. Maybe.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    KaitoKid

KaitoKid Lyricist

1. Lost In The Echo - Perfect Album Opener 10/10

2. In My Remains - i like the military drums at the bridge 9/10

3. Burn It Down - First Single 9/10

4. Lies Greed Misery - similar to Papercut 8/10

5. I'll Be Gone - Drums are sick. Guitars on the bridge reminds me of No Roads Left bridge 9.5/10

6. Castle Of Glass - weird, different sounds, reminds me of The Kinks 8/10

7. Victimized - Heavy, Short 7.5/10

8. Roads Untraveled - soft verse distorted chorus, sad song 9/10

9. Skin To Bone - very electronic 7.5/10

10. Until It Breaks - Fort Minor-ish. the ending is similar to Hands Held High ending 8.5/10

11. Tinfoil - Instrumental 8.5/10

12. Powerless - 9.5/10

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm gonna play the game :)

Here's what I was thinking during the first listen

LITE : I was smiling during the whole song. Freaking epic. Remembered me a little bit of old times, but was still new and exciting.

IMR: I was a little disappointed by this one. It missed some guts (sorry, I can't express it better :lol:). Maybe I had this feeling because it was too difficul to follow the epic beginning of the record, but this one felt bland.

BID: well very single-ish, we already knew that

LGM: even if I have heard it a shitload of times, it remains a great rocking song

IBG: same as with In My Remains, it would need more punch. I find Chester vocals too soft for the instrumental, but I still like it. Kinda generic though.

COG: well, before hearing it, I was afraid by this one. The folk influence made me wonder how good LP could handle them. Nevertheless, all the fear is gone. The melody is magic. The vocals are magic. The instrumental is magic. Wow.

VICTIMIZED: one of my favorite, it really kicked me in the face. It made me remember of NIN "Year Zero", but more heavy. I love the random transition from Mike soft vocals to Chester going insane.

RU: superb song, once again the melody is killer

STB: DAT BEAT. It's kind of funky, and muse-ish. The vocal melody, wow.

UIB: the rap part and the instrumental blew me away. Has that 90 feel, like some of the reviews said.

Tinfoil: it has an old-LP feel, at least to me. Great Vibe

And finally, Powerless: the higlight of this song is the instrumental, I really enjoy the vibe in it.

All in all, this albums is simply awesome. Really.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

So you're assuming that Linkin Park can never make anything this good again? That is a bold statement ;)

ChazTotti

ChazTotti New Member

This is a Masterpiece, their best album.

Fragmuffin

Fragmuffin I wish my friends were bubbles, bubbles...

Did anyone have this reaction upon listening to the album for the first time?

[​IMG]

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Nope. I prefer the "new" LP. As some "fans" call it.

I had something close to this reaction when I've first listened to ATS. But without the first line of this comic.

Fragmuffin

Yeah, don't get me wrong: I'm not one of those "fans" that constantly whines about the band changing their style. I'm actually glad that they've always been trying new things with each album since Meteora, as it keeps things fresh.

I just didn't expect this album to be as different as it ended up being, is all, since the band was making it out to be similar to their old music. I'm really glad they've continued to experiment even with this album, though.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

For me this is their best album yet, it has the best elements of the first four albums combined into one epic package.

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've been too rude, but I was listening to Lies, Greed, Misery... if you know what i mean :D
    Some tracks were huge surprises for me too, for example In My Remains stunned me when Mike started with the "Like an army falling one by one by one".
    That's what I like of LP. They always change, even if this album looks back on the previous works, and they only get better. I guess that's why LITE is not one of my fav's (but it's still a great track).

Fragmuffin

Oh, no, don't worry, you weren't being rude.

If anything, I was coming off as one of those loathsome fans that would rather the band be Nickel Park than the band they are today. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not like that, haha.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Oh God, the rage comics and DAE circlejerk posts begin.

[​IMG]

Fragmuffin

Hey, I only made one because of this forum's apparent love for memes.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Does it matter if he posted a rage comic? He can post what he wants.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

Minus is trying to be funny. People lap up his unfunny comments, and I don't know why.