Green Day - Revolution Radio (2016)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by The Joesen One, Aug 11, 2016.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

That sounds amazing! Way better than anything on the trilogy imo ("sound"-wise). Instrumentally, it's just brilliant.

Another "rock opera" album incoming?

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Who would have thought that Green Day would come out with a killer track in 2016?
    Certainly not me, I honestly thought they had lost their songwriting edge based on 99% of the material on Uno, Dos, Tres.
    The track starts out with a thunderous bass line by Mike Dirnt played over a static noise,(very reminiscent of punk bands such as Rise Against). We then get into familiar territory with a fast couple of powerchords which sound very much like most modern Green Day songs. What makes the track stand out is the lyrics. Billie Joe wisely chose this time around to write about stuff that is relevant(not a bad choice since that might make GD relevant and interesting again to a new/old audience). The song further evolves during the breakdown. It contains a fast beat and great drum fills by Tre Cool, and a fast tremolo bass line by Dirnt. These elements combined creates this very dystopic vibe which is further reflected in the lyrics as Billie Joe sings "I Want Be Like The Soldiers On The Screen/ It's My Private Holy War."

The song does have a few weak lines and instrumentally it isn't too far from what we have heard from GD, but it is without a doubt in my mind the best Green Day has sounded since 2009(so how much you like it kind of depends on how good you think they sounded back then).

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I hear some similarities with some tracks off of 21st Century Breakdown, especially with the switch-up halfway through the track. I'm not sure if they're doing another rock opera (I think not), but that kind of songwriting is bound to appear one way or another, as it's become part of GD's dna, I feel like.

Either way, I really like this new track and I hope the new album delivers, as I wasn't a fan of the album trilogy that won't be named.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Best thing they've done since 21st Century Breakdown. Digging the message of the track. I cannot wait for this album.

-Amarez-

-Amarez- Active Member

At 2:06 I love that transition. I swear it sounds like something else. Can't put my finger on it

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

So, what do you guys think of the album?
    I am certainly enjoying it a lot more than the trilogy.
    Initially I disliked Revolution Radio, but it has actually grown into one of my favorite songs off the album. Somewhere now, is up there as well.
    Still Breathing lacks something to really stand out, and the lyrics were a bit generic.

There are a few mediocre tracks but not really any songs that I strongly dislike.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Here's what I'm reminded of at 2:06.