Google asks YouTube commenters to stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Blackened, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

The right to complain about business practices is protected under the first amendment. I'm not pointing a gun at YouTube and demanding anonymity. I'm posting on a public forum my personal opinions. And there isn't a damn thing wrong with that.

I am not arguing that YouTube's actions are against the law, or the constitution. I'm saying, flat-out, that the decision, in my opinion, was moronic. YouTube's foundations were built from anonymity. And then Google happened. :|

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't post YouTube comments anyway, but I will never use my full name on the internet for anything like that. I am likely the only one in the world with my first and last name. Anything I would do on the internet under my full name could immediately be linked back to me. I use my last name on Facebook, but can strictly control who sees what, and if you're not a friend, you're not seeing anything.

I am sometimes envious of people with common last names. It offers you some level of anonymity that those of us with extremely uncommon last names don't enjoy.

3. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

This circulated Google+ as it started up, and implemented it's rather idiotic real name policy. Since this is a related subject dealing with the same company, and since is far better than anything I could have written, Imma leave this here.

4. Filip

Filip Not Robert. LPA Contributor

5. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious they're trying to get people to use Google+ :shifty:

6. Erica

Erica Grab your hammer and heels LPA Über VIP

Yeah I'm pretty paranoid about that myself. I've googled my name and as far as I know there is only one other person in the world with my name (or least the only other you could track). Although I have posted my first name and past name here separately.

7. Will

Will bread crumbs & white stones LPA Addicted VIP

The combination of my first and last names is really common in the UK. :lol:

8. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Must be real easy for all the John Smith's out there. :shifty:

9. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Wait...what? I've commented on a ton of Youtube videos this week, and I haven't seen this new feature show up at all.