Adam Lambert

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by esaul17, Nov 26, 2009.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Now that his disk is available, what does everyone think? I quite like it. One of the best singers I've heard in ages.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I've heard the album. What a waste of a great voice! Smh.

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Hmmm, I absolutely loved him on American Idol. I was so confused when Kris Allen won, haha. I youtube'd a few of the songs off the album and I'm not really sure what I think. Just for the hell of it I'm asking for it for Christmas haha, so I guess once I have it I'll be able to listen to it in depth and form more of an opinion.

I have a feeling that I'll like it. :)

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't like his music, but I'm sick and tired of people bitching about his kiss at the AMAs, they need to learn to change the damn channel.

Ant

Ant Ambient

It's not bad, but I was hoping it'd be more rock and less pop.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Soaked is the best thing there, but that's cause it's Muse's song with Adam as a featuring vocalist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuAB2jBjF8
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuAB2jBjF8[/youtube]

Agent

^ Soaked has an amazing intro but it loses steam after that. The only track I liked is Whatya Want From Me.

There could've been so many different things done with this album. But nah! Had to fill it up with dance/pop/techno shit.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Yeah, "Soaked" sounds like a bad American Idol cover that doesn't fit Lambert. It obviously starts like a Muse song, and it just doesn't work for Lambert in my book.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

The guy only co-wrote 4 out of 14 of the songs on his debut album? None of the songs are strictly his own, and the rest of them belong to other people. I think that says alot about what can gain popularity in this country. Dude might be a good singer, but c'mon, if he can't even write a song by himself...I don't give his career that much longer.

Then again, Kelly Clarkson has been around for about six or seven years now, and she still can't write a song by herself. Her debut album was alot like this one, then "Breakaway" came out and blew everyone's mind... she co-wrote almost all of the songs. I don't know what my point is here, but I just don't like people who rely solely on other people to write songs, or write songs with a "team", like the Matrix or, these days in pop, Linda Perry.

Ant

Ant Ambient

That's just how American Idol contestants work... go look at almost any album from an AI contestant.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

If someone is a talented singer, I don't see the issue if they realize they aren't a talented writer so they have others help write the music or lyrics. I'm sure if he was in a band as a singer and his band-mates wrote the lyrics and were the main songwriters no one would be attacking him.

Play on your strengths and collaborate with others to take care of your weaknesses. What's wrong with that?

think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

Anyone with recording industry money behind them can put out an overproduced pop record where their voice sounds good, they got beats behind them, and a team of songwriters have contributed instantly catchy yet instantly forgettable hooks.

Now, I don't have a problem with people collaborating with other musicians, writing with a band, writing alone, using a producer to help get your band's music to the next level, or any of the normal stuff that goes on behind the scenes in making an album. But when neither you nor your band write most of the stuff on your own album, you become less of an artist and more of a session musician hired because you have prior TV exposure.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I am unsure the difference in talent between a singer that sings what a band tells him to, and a singer that sings what someone from a different band tells him to.

And if they are instantly forgettable songs than that is problematic no matter how they came about- and if they are good songs, they remain good no matter what process brought them about. It is find to not like Lambert's music, but to say it is automatically disliked because of how it was made seems silly to me.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I really think the show shouldn't just focus on singing. It should cover all the basics. They'd get alot more mileage out of the winners and runner-ups if they did that, as opposed to all of them fading away after about a year.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I don't think it's so much that as it is working with a sure-fire hit maker seems like a logical thing to do. I mean, even Daughtry collaborates with other artists on almost all his songs and I don't think he was even a runner-up (if I remember correctly).

I'm fine with them focusing on lyrics, because I'd rather listen to someone who sounds great than someone who sounds good but can write a better song, personally. But, yes, it'd be best to find a combination of great singer AND great writer.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I think people just need to get over their homophobia is all.

I agree with you on that.

Plus, I might actually watch the show again.

As for his album, I really don't like it. I didn't see or hear any of his AI performances, and when his album came out, I listened to the first three or four tracks, and I really saw nothing of any merit. IMO, he's vastly overrated.

But that's just me, and I have no problem with people who like him.

Agent

I agree with this. Moreover, when I listen to Adam Lambert, or any other American Idol contestant for that matter, I don't look for deep lyrical content or groundbreaking stuff. Sometimes it's just nice to play a song and chill to it.