Linkin Park one step closer to returning?

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, May 1, 2024.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

A new Billboard article outlines industry whispers that nu-metal icons Linkin Park are looking at returning to the stage as a band in 2025, after being on hiatus as a touring act since 2017.

The post explains that "a potential Linkin Park tour" is on the cards, and that the band are even seeking opportunities to perform headline slots at festivals too, all via their booking agency WME. Curiously, only three of the band members are specifically named as spearheading this effort, leaving fans a mystery as to how this new configuration of Linkin Park will look in full.
    The article also cites various anonymous sources "close to the band" that talk about new member(s) being added to the lineup, lending strength to recent rumours along the same lines, but no names have been given out.
    This is our only window into Linkin Park's future as a touring entity so far. Given that the band wants to go as far as playing for festival audiences, it's unlikely that they would be wading back into live performance waters without new music in their back pocket ...

Source: Billboard

Iopia, Kevin, Michele and 1 other person like this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I'm telling y'all, if they weren't prepping for a massive blowout for their 25th anniversary next year, they woulda saved Papercuts for it.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

One one hand i would propably blow a lot of money for a tour like this but on the other hand i am not so ok with the fact that Rob and Joe arent mentioned here.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I remember there were rumors of this a few weeks ago, but the fact that Billboard is reporting on it really surprised me, gives it some credibility. Could work with the right singer.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

That's the problem, there is nobody that could pull it off...

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Hyped for this.

It will obviously be different, but I look at it in the way that something is better than nothing.

Whoever they hire as vocalist, I hope it 'll be a person who is versatile enough to deal with the multitude of styles Chester sang in. I am sure the band knows the legacy to take over is huge, so they wouldn't half-bake this. Especially knowing how perfectionist some of the guys are.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I feel there needs to be a shift in mentality. Otherwise you’re just setting up the next vocalist to fail/disappoint.

Whatever Linkin Park does next is going to be different. Whether that different is better or worse is a matter of personal opinion. But we should give it a fair shot.

I just don’t want to get into this trap of comparing everything against the Chester days. It’s not like they kicked him out of the band. He’s gone.

So we can either embrace the new way forward and keep an open mind, or we can just lament about things we cannot change.

dutchsoldier, Jesse, Shadow and 7 others like this.
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I think going with a female singer is a smart choice because it wouldn’t feel like you’re just trying to replace Chester with another male vocalist; it would feel like a pale imitation. It would open new musical possibilities. I’m open to the idea.

TheZlajaZlo likes this.
    Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Bah gawd I get to post on an LPA forum post again :lund:

Dekar, Gibs, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

[​IMG]

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I can't wait for the new things LP fans will complain about!

Jesse, Shadow, Michele and 2 others like this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

But we weren't done with the old things!

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Agree, and I'm all for LP to continue in any form, and I will be first in line to see them live, but I'm afraid how the majority of the people and casual fans will react.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

I just hope that --whatever happens-- all (ex-)members are fine. <3

Can't wait for some new releases of O.G. Minus cynicism. :halfkappa:

:partyminus:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Agreed. It annoys me to no end that, if these rumours are true, a certain subset of fans will inevitably criticise the band for 'replacing/disrespecting Chester', or 'tarnishing the band's legacy', or some other esoteric bullshit.

The living members getting on stage to share the music they built their careers on doesn't hurt anyone, and is purely a good thing for those of us who would love to see it happen.

It's the same situation as Queen. Of course Freddie Mercury can't be replaced, but I think it's great that you can still go see two original members of the band perform Queen's music live, if that's something you want to see. It hurts no one, and it in no way insults or damages Mercury's legacy.

And hi everyone. :wave:

Dekar and Michele like this.
    Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

One word.

Excited.

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I’m optimistic about what new lanes LP can explore with a new vocalist. I don’t wanna hear a Chester-soundalike. Trying new things and evolving has been something LP has made an important part of their identity and brand for decades now.

Shadow likes this.
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Alice in Chains put out a great album without Layne Staley. AC/DC survived after Bon Scot. Stone Temple Pilots continues without Scott Weiland.

That is to say that one ending does not have to be The ending.

Let's hope they can find someone they like soon.
    My tales from the ass speculation on Joe and Rob is that they are open to contributing to new music but do not want to tour.

dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

I want the guys who are willing to go on (touring) to be happy with whatever choice they make and stay motivated to perform and create. That being said I guess I will have to dig deep if they go a whole new route with a female singer. I always had someone like Spencer Sotelo in mind for a new age of LP. Not to replace Chester directly but to stay a bit in the same course/heading. Just saw Periphery end of last year and that singing and how he puts energy in the songs sure was something to witness live!

diehardlpfan77

diehardlpfan77 Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the fixation some people have regarding the band recruiting a female singer. I personally think it's a bad idea. Although there are several factors to consider on what's best for the band a female singer seems like a bad idea. I mean the band can do whatever they want(It's not like they'll take our suggestion or anything) but it feels strange that anything might work out for LP after Chester's passing. We already saw in the tribute concert majority of the performance were underwhelming .