June 18, 2017 - Clisson, France | Hellfest 2017

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

No-one expected anything the band has done since "Midnight".

Sasuke and Modern Guitar God like this.
  2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Oh, you mean like they've literally been saying since 2007?

3. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

That and also I think the extremely long wait for One More Light had some to do with it as well. The band originally said the album would be out in mid 2016 so many were expecting a June 2016 release, like how The Hunting Party came out in June 2014 and Living Things came out in June 2012. The fact that it didn't end up coming out until late May 2017 was pretty crazy. And I think a lot of people were underwhelmed because the album is the shortest in the band's career and Heavy is drastically different than The Hunting Party in every way possible. If you think about it, if the band ended up making the pop album that they wanted to in 2013, the lead single would have likely came out in March or April of 2014 and then the album a few months after. That's not long after the Steve Aoki stuff, Recharged, etc. And really not that terribly long from Living Things since it was still a bit fresh in people's mind's since then. The way that Mike and the band promoted The Hunting Party was wrong, they truly did make it seem like they would never make pop songs again, at least in the forseeable future. But they ended up following it up with the poppiest song they've ever done, completely with a Disney radio artist as a feature. The Hunting Party really screwed with a lot of people's minds. And The Hunting Party also has nothing in common with Minutes, Suns or Living Things. It wasn't part of their progression, it was literally a one-off album that came out of whim. If you want my honest opinion, and this may seem crazy, but I think Mike honestly wrote like 90% of The Hunting Party by himself. He already said that the rest of the band besides Chester wasn't interested really in the process and he probably wrote a good majority of the parts and the band just performed them. Chester was absent for a very large part of The Hunting Party's process because he was writing and touring with other bands at that time. Chester also never really contributed much to the albums except for Minutes To Midnight since every band member wrote songs for that album. But usually it was just Brad and Mike making all the songs. I think The Hunting Party was really a huge passion project of Mike's and he went with it. But I think he got over it pretty quickly and by 2015 he wanted to continue on the path Linkin Park was intended to go on.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Exactly. One can make the case that it started off (as Xero) as a way for Mike to make hip hop music with rock and electronic influences.

5. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

It seems like I am one of the few people who likes One More Light more because of the fact that we had THP before it.
    If One More Light had come right after Living Things, I would honestly had been a lot more dismissive about its sound, but hearing "Heavy" right after THP felt really refreshing for me.
    The two albums work together because of their contrary nature.
    I certainly wouldn't want THP to not exist, neither would I necessarily want the next album to sound more in the vain of OML and LT.
    I hope LP continues to change things up.

Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
  6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It seems like an overall theme of the 'dislike' towards OML is that it apparently sounds too similar to other artists, or sounds like music that other artists could've made.

If that's the reason for the hate, I ask then why MTM is considered by some to be 'underrated' while OML gets flack? There's many songs on MTM that sound like other artists. Infact one of the complaints around MTM period was that the band was trying too hard to be the new U2, even going as far as to make Shadow of The Day the new 'With or Without You'. There were a lot of complaints that the band lost their 'LP identity' and were 'trying to sound like other artists' just like what is being said now.

Did MTM become 'underrated' with age? Or do people just fail to realize that LP has made plenty of songs that sound like other bands and haven't always been groundbreaking or original (but still make darn good music sometimes)?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Modern Guitar God likes this.
  7. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I had a reply written out to this, but I deleted it. I feel like everything that can be said about this album has been said before and people are just talking in circles at this point.

8. Derek

Fair enough.

9. minuteforce

Most Mature Response 2017 :innocent:

10. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I think because MTM has an organic sound, OML on the other hand has a modern electronic sound with 808s driven percussion that many people hate and associate with The Chainsmokers and many hated mainstream acts.
    Personally I prefer Electronic production over the organic one tbh, that's why maybe I like OML more than MTM.

11. minuteforce

Yeah, not only did The Chainsmokers literally invent male/female duets, they also invented 808s!

Nu-metal fans really give them too much credit. :rolleyes:

brady and Sasuke like this.
  12. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yep, The Chainsmokers are the new Beatles :kappa:

minuteforce likes this.
  13. Derek

The Chainsmokers can't even perform their own music live. They lipsynced on SNL. Ashlee Simpson's career was ruined for that, but The Chainsmokers got a free pass. Boggles my mind.

14. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The songs are just not that good. MTM has plenty of good ones, and that's why people like it, no matter if it sounds like other bands.

15. Derek

But wouldn't that in itself be a matter of opinion? Some people felt the songs on MTM sucked, but others consider the album vastly underrated.

I know the 'opinions are different' argument is annoying and I get that, but still.

Halfway Dwight, Iopia and brady like this.
  16. minuteforce

What happened with Ashlee Simpson wasn't purely that she was lip-syncing. It was the entire incident: the specific way things went wrong, how it was live on everyone's TVs and especially her off-the-cuff reaction - these elements combined to create a spectacular moment in pop culture that was easily shareable. It resonated enough to go viral and become the defining thing for Ashlee Simpsom's career as a recording artist.

The Chainsmokers lip-synced on SNL, but they didn't mess up, and the fact that some artists lip-sync on TV is old news. When everything goes smoothly, it's just business as usual. As a result, the story is really just the guy from Filter yelling at his TV, and there isn't any lightning strike moment that grabs people and stays in their memory. People will forget about it.

17. Derek

The 'guy from Filter' yelling at the TV was pretty classic though :lol:.

18. TheZlajaZlo

Let me rephrase that: people don't like it because they think songs are not good.

19. minuteforce

I think people just don't like the songs, but, since they can't leave well-enough alone, they need to come up with some half-baked, non-sensical justifications for why the songs are supposedly objectively worse than, say, "Hybrid Theory" ... like claiming that "Heavy" is too ~mainstream~ for them to like while "In The End" was ~underground~ and not pop :disgust:

EDIT: and, also in the same breath, claiming that ATS was LP's most accessible, mainstream-leaning work at the time

Avo, Halfway Dwight, Iopia and 2 others like this.
  20. TheZlajaZlo

that is also true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.