This Linkin Park 'Heavy' Rehearsal Is So Good It Deserves A Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 23, 2017.

1. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

You: I like Heavy
    Me: ATS
    ATS haters: ATS is shit
    Me: fuck u
    World: HT
    Me: im cool with that too

2. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

You're an absolute idiot if you think the band feels that way at all.
    It's ridiculous that people want the band to fail because they didn't like the song. Facebook comments are awful

Sasuke likes this.
  3. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

unrelatedish but I'm someone who likes every song they've put out. Just saying cause you had doubt.

4. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

If this album tanks , linkin park will forever be mockery and this will be it for them , I really hope the album does well .
    They were right when they compared OML to their first album because this album will decide If going this direction was misstep or not and the fact that this album can be a hit or miss at this point.
    I haven't been worried about the band's future like this time, it's really scary for the band If you think about it and that's why they are promoting the single heavily.

5. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

They have 2 months to promote this album. They could promote Heavy heavily (no pun intended) by releasing Heavy-EP Remixes, just to build the hype of the anticipated record.

6. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

There's 3 different version in the OP

and this is what you take from it?

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This mashup proves for better or worse, that Heavy is pretty much Powerless' twin brother. The two songs pretty much mashup perfectly (except for the end). And many people said they thought Heavy was a lot like Powerless.

So why no hate for Powerless, but tons of hate for Heavy? They're both pop songs and both very close. It's pretty much another Numb/Pushing Me Away type deal.

8. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I kinda hope at one of the festivals they're attentioning this year they just play Heavy 23 times. ATS style, Acoustic, Swing, Island, Trap, A cappella, just make each version poppier and poppier.

Cause god damn nu metal fans need someone to wake them up so they can accept the fact that the band do not want to do nu-metal anymore.

Edit: Alternatively the can play poppy as fuck versions of their old songs.
    :end edit:
    Shut the fuck up goddamn.

Also the debate about what makes one a true fan is dumb as fuck.

/rant.

9. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I consider Powerless one of my favorite songs and I personally think that on one hand Powerless is a tad more intricate and also not as slow/quiet as Heavy, so...

10. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

They will never get invited back to that festival so I don't think they would risk that

11. Kareem Saad

Kareem Saad Active Member

May be because people tend to pre-judge things based on labels and the most spoken opinions. The song is not much different than songs like powerless or numb or pushing me away or many songs on minutes to midnight. But most people started to listen to the song based on the thoughts that it is a pop song and that a pop singer is featured in it. They wanted to hate it. And the popularity of that opinion helped more people to hate it because they felt like "everyone hates it, I am not wrong. I am not alone".
    Nearly all LP's songs were different. Many times that takes people to listen to it many times and then like it. But this time many fans didnt give it a chance. They came in with a closed mindset seeking negativity and they found it.
    Like the guy or not, that sums it:

Some really think they are above the "mainstream", that they are better and unique so they just hate whatever is popular even if it is just better than what they like and had much more effort, emotion and creativity put in it. They think that liking something "more mainstream" makes them less unique.

Also people with positive opinions about anything tend to just like it and not talk a lot unless they are really enthusiastic about it. However when you have a negative opinion you tend to be more vocal. This happens to anyone.

ciao_fiv, Sasuke and zazofazo like this.
  12. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

1) Powerless has "real instruments" (meaning electric guitar power chords) that are loud and prominent in the mix (just like Pushing Me Away and Numb) - especially in the second half of the song.
    2) Hasn't been heard by nearly as many people - not promoted as a single
    3) The real reason: It doesn't feature Kiiara

If Heavy didn't feature Kiiara, but Mike in the second verse and chorus, the track wouldn't have had nearly as many dislikes on YT as it has now.

TheInterframe likes this.
  13. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

No mate! POWERLESS doesn't have a shitty pop singer. :disgust:
    Now seriously this mash up sounds great!

14. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

And there's your reason. IMO Powerless carries a sense of progression, whereas Heavy doesn't really go anywhere. Powerless begins as an unplugged power ballad before slowly ascending into a more cinematic rock song with far less generic lyrics. Heavy adds a few instruments to the mix, but they're buried under the vocals. And yes, I fully understand that Powerless is pop.

15. Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

Well, looking at your signature, we are on the same boat. We both loved Shenmue. Tell me, do you want Shenmue 3 to be like the old Shenmues, or to look like a 2017 casual game ?
    This is exactly how I feel about Linkin Park. I've been waiting for years that they make an album that will go back to some nostalgia, because Nu-metal is dead or became shit since more than a decade.

I love what Linkin Park has done so far, but will never love it as much as HT and Meteora, because this kind of music is the kind of music I love. Their last albums were good, some less than others, but still, even if Hunting Party kind of came back to heavy metal, I find the songs of this album weird, some are very good, but some of them sound really bad (Mark the grave being the worse thing I have ever heard from them).

I've been to two of their concerts, and saw a lot of live performances, but I just can't change my mind, that concert I've been in 2003 was for me the golden era of LP's live performances. Today, LP seems to have difficulties building a good track list, choses to make too many medleys of their songs. I prefered their old style when they had a few albums to play. Their last albums are too much "techno"

I love pop music, I love Pink, or Sia, or even Jessie J, but Sia does a better job making inovating sounds than Linkin Park lately, even if Sia's songs look like each other.

16. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

To me the two songs are not really that similar (other than the fact that they are Linkin Park songs and Linkin Park songs share similarities).
    Powerless is a longer track which builds to a fairly uninteresting climax that goes to the classic cliche of "lets make it epic by adding electric guitar".
    Heavy doesn't hide the fact that it's a pop song, in fact it wears it on its sleeves. It doesn't sound much like a LP song until the second half. Without even changing the chord progression the song manages to change soundscapes multiple times, and it doesn't just add guitars and acoustic drums when it wants to go loud, it also adds two vocalists singing in duet. I don't know, to me it is just much more interesting.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Andreina, Avo, Halfway Dwight and 4 others like this.
  17. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Nailed it, man. :chuck:

18. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

You can't really compare a band to a game. A band is a collection of people who make a product, while a game is the product. What you can do is compare a band (who makes albums) to a studio (who makes games). And personally, no, I wouldn't be very happy if a game studio kept releasing the same game every other year. There are studios and franchises that do this (Call of Duty, FIFA, etc.), but I have no interest in that. I've already played those games, I don't need the same game 10 years down the line. I'd much rather talented developers work on new, fresh products, instead of trying to cash in on nostalgia. The same applies to film; I don't want Spielberg to make Jaws 4, or give us a prequel to E.T., as nostalgic as it may be. I'd much rather something fresh and new.

Not to put down your opinion, you're absolutely entitled to it (and it's no more right or wrong than mine), but all I'm saying is that whether it's video games, film or music, I'd much rather a band like Linkin Park move forward creatively, instead of going back to the simplicity of Hybrid Theory and Meteora. (And for the record, in my opinion, Mark The Graves shits on everything on the first two records, and it's not even my favourite song on the record (Drawbar :wub:), so there's that :lol:).

Avo, Jesse, Halfway Dwight and 2 others like this.
  19. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Seriously? You can just play the old game 'cause it's still there ...

Also, "techno"? :huh: I keep noticing how nu-metal fans criticise things using labels but with no knowledge about those labels

Avo, Captain-EO, Jesse and 1 other person like this.
  20. chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Yeah, some fans seem to completely mix up genres. This for example is techno:

Tell me. Do you really think LP's last few albums and "Heavy" sounded like this?